• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gliscor&yanmega

Ah makes sense, I didn't know I could exit and then rejoin and change up my pokemon! I didn't even know that the taking a break option didn't just make you quit lol, thankyou!
Seems like this will be a whole night's worth of planning at least if I want to do this right eh... No idea how to get all the perfect IV's for pokemon but I'm sure i can google it.
Do you usually find your pokemon in the wild for perfect IV's or is it easier to hatch them? How long does it usually take you to make a team of good IV/EV pokemon?

I'm pretty sure before(Prior to Gen 6), if you left you lost your streak, so it definitely is nice to be able to come in and out without having to go for a full 50 streak. Pretty sure they also didn't give you BP between battles so that's nice too.

You'll want to hatch them regardless. When it comes to wild Pokemon, the only way to influence IVs would be for the Pokemon to be in the Undiscovered Egg Group(In particular the Legendaries, Mythical, and whatever you want to call the Tapus/UBs/Type: Null and Silvally) as that guarantees they'll have at least 3 perfect IVs. For other wild Pokemon, the only way to influence IVs is from SOS Battles, where you'll need to knock out 30+ Pokemon for them to have 4 guaranteed perfect IVs. Even then, you have no control what perfect IVs a stat gets, which is where breeding comes in.

When breeding without a Destiny Knot, the pair of Pokemon will pass down 3 IVs between them to the offspring, if you have one hold a Destiny Knot then it's 5 IVs. At this point you can only keep getting eggs and hoping the IVs you want are passed down to the right stat. There are also Power Items that can be held by a Pokemon and guarantees an IV to be passed down from that Pokemon, the IV it passes down is the stat that relates to it(So Power Anklet gives the Speed IV, Power Band gives the Special Defense IV, etc...).

I personally just Wonder Trade/go on GTS, and hope to get an already decent IV Pokemon and take it from there. Sometimes, it takes an hour to end up with the perfect IVs, sometimes more than a day. An easier way to increase the chances would be to keep switching your pairs around every time a Pokemon with more perfect IVs comes from an egg. I usually put my Pokemon in Pelago to EV train them. You can basically max out a stat while your are sleeping if you use the beans(Takes about 8 hours in that case appose to 16), I usually wait when I have a decent amount ready for it too to just do a bunch in one go.

To make it more simple:
Step 1-Wonder Trade/Go on GTS and wait until you get a Pokemon with some perfect IVs. Or SOS Battle for it.
Step 2-Get a Ditto from SOS Battle. Beat 30 Pokemon in that battle for the new Ditto to have 4 perfect IVs. It might be a good idea to get another one too to make up for any missing IVs.
Step 3-Save up BPs for Destiny Knot(Don't remember how much it cost, but if you did either of the online competitions you'll have enough). Also might as well get Oval Charm(Beat the Gamefreak guy in Heahea City) as it increases odds for an egg to appear.
Step 4-Breed the Pokemon with some perfect IVs with the Ditto that has 4 perfect IVs. Make sure one holds Destiny Knot(Doesn't matter which), and if either has a Nature you want have it hold Everstone as it passes that Nature down.
Step 5-If you haven't done so already, hatch 20 eggs so you can see IVs by talking to the IV judge at Battle Tree
Step 6-Keep hatching until you are satisfy with the IVs.

Again it might be wise to switch up your pairs when a Pokemon with better IVs comes. For example:
Rowlet has perfect IVs in Attack and Special Attack. Ditto has perfect IVs in Attack, HP, Defense, and Speed. If one of the Rowlet offspring has perfect IVs in Attack, Special Attack, and any other stat, replace the first one with the new one. Continue to do so every time more perfect IVs come. The same applies to Ditto, just make sure your two Pokemon are different Genders(Genderless Pokemon will always need Ditto though). Remember to move the Destiny Knot and any other items to the new Pokemon.

You can also look through these links for more in-depth details if need be:
http://www.serebii.net/games/breed.shtml
http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml
http://www.serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
First off, are you on the regular battles for Battle Tree or the super battles? The latter is where you get to scout trainers and you can only unlock it by beating the regular battle first(Which means 20 battles).

Shoot. I didn't know that. I couldn't even get to a streak of ten in the normal battles. That's extremely disappointing. I really wish these special trainers weren't locked behind battles you have to have a competitive team for to win. Oh well.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Trained some Pokemon yesterday, one of which was Komala. Decided to take it in the Battle Tree in Super Singles and it pretty much basically won each battle on its own up to battle 9. Might have been one or two cases where I used another Pokemon but for the most part Komala did it all. I'm pleasantly surprised, might have just been lucky though(Some times the NPC was trying to put a status condition on it which obviously was a waste of turn for them, the set I ran with it was a bit luck base too).

Nevertheless, I have more love for Komala after that. Probably test it out online today to see how it performs there.

Also used an Oranguru for Doubles, and it just didn't go well. It was usually the target for attacks and often were moves that caused Flinching(Fake Out, Waterfall, Fire Fang, all three separate battles). So barely got to set up Trick Room, and Instruct didn't happen all the time either.

That's the thing with double battes (and triple battles, should they return): If a Pokémon is known for being a gigantic pain but is slow (or even when it isn't), opponents will focus on them. In these cases, it's a good idea to give them Protect, or if they have a healing move, just to use it a lot. If they target the Pokémon they perceive as a threat and you negate that damage somehow, your other Pokémon is free to run wild. I did this with Ditto in unrestricted battles: Whenever it would copy Arceus, Darkrai, or some other huge threat, my opponent would invariably prioritize Ditto. I also noticed people want to get rid of Stunfisk, for some reason. I'm not sure why.

If you find success with Komala, please let us know what happened. Komala is a really weird, quirky Pokémon, both in game mechanics and concept, which means I quite like it.

Ah makes sense, I didn't know I could exit and then rejoin and change up my pokemon! I didn't even know that the taking a break option didn't just make you quit lol, thankyou!
Seems like this will be a whole night's worth of planning at least if I want to do this right eh... No idea how to get all the perfect IV's for pokemon but I'm sure i can google it.
Do you usually find your pokemon in the wild for perfect IV's or is it easier to hatch them? How long does it usually take you to make a team of good IV/EV pokemon?

By the way, the Battle Tree is considered the hardest of the Battle Tower analogues. If you're losing way earlier than you'd expect, don't feel bad. Everyone has a tough time at the Battle Tree. They'll start throwing attempts to counter your Pokémon from the start, even on the not-Super formats.

Also, I suspect that after you lose, if you bring in the same Pokémon on a subsequent visit, the difficulty will pick up where you left off, rendering it very unlikely you'll reach your record. I don't know if this is to encourage you to swap Pokémon as you go or if it's just how the AI cheats, however.

gliscor&yanmega

That's the thing with double battes (and triple battles, should they return): If a Pokémon is known for being a gigantic pain but is slow (or even when it isn't), opponents will focus on them. In these cases, it's a good idea to give them Protect, or if they have a healing move, just to use it a lot. If they target the Pokémon they perceive as a threat and you negate that damage somehow, your other Pokémon is free to run wild. I did this with Ditto in unrestricted battles: Whenever it would copy Arceus, Darkrai, or some other huge threat, my opponent would invariably prioritize Ditto. I also noticed people want to get rid of Stunfisk, for some reason. I'm not sure why.

If you find success with Komala, please let us know what happened. Komala is a really weird, quirky Pokémon, both in game mechanics and concept, which means I quite like it.
Well it was in Battle Tree so I don't think the AI has much knowledge on the threat level. Also, Oranguru's purpose was to set up Trick Room so my Wishiwashi could attack first and then have Oranguru withstand any possible hits as I spam Instruct, so I need it to be able to use its moves and not hide behind Protect. I'm sure it was just bad luck though.

As for Komala set:
Max Attack and Speed
Bright Powder
Protect
Return
Wish
Yawn

The idea is use Yawn and hope nothing knocks you out. If the Pokemon takes more than half your HP from thier attack then use Protect, if you either lost no HP or should be able to take another hit then use Wish. As the opponent is sleeping, spam Return until it wakes up. Then repeat if need be. Bright Powder is there to give you a slight chance an Attack misses which is even better and actually helped a couple times.

It's a bit luck based and has the obvious issue of being able to do nothing agasint Ghost types(But can put them to sleep at the very least). But I lead with it so if it loses I can just send in something else and not be in a case where it's my last Pokemon and go up against a Ghost.

Putting the EVs to more bulk might be better(Didn't really know what I was going to do with it at the time), although it would hit less with Return(Can 2HKO as it is for most Pokemon). Double Team could be used with Bright Powder for more Evasion but probably have to give up Wish.

It was fun using. Maybe something about putting the opponent to sleep by a half passed out Koala does it for me.

gliscor&yanmega

Throw the Speed EVs into HP

There's no reason to run Speed on base 65

I figured. At the time just didn't really know what I was going to do with it so just gave it the Speed to at least outspeed some stuff. Actually managed to do so in most of the battles too, so it wasn't a complete waste at least.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Searching for Dhelmise in the wild has been a huge pain. 2 Bottlecaps, 5 pearls, 20 Magikarp and 17 wailmer later and still searching. I thought the encounter rate was 10% on bubble areas?

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I found it refreshing that Alola had no new Fossils available tbh, though Jangmo-o probably could've been one instead of a pseudo-Legendary.

I think Jangmo-o was ok as an un-evolved pseudo-legendary. I normally don't like pseudos much and I rarely use them myself since many of them show up late in the games when my team is already complete, but I really like Hakamo-o and Kommo-o, especially the latter cuz of its type combination and design. :3

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Searching for Dhelmise in the wild has been a huge pain. 2 Bottlecaps, 5 pearls, 20 Magikarp and 17 wailmer later and still searching. I thought the encounter rate was 10% on bubble areas?

Sounds like when I was going for Sharpedo. I got Dhelmise after about 15 minutes though. I take it you're going into the Steelix boat via the door and coming back out immediately, right?

At the very least, you got two Bottle Caps out of it. Those are good for something.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
tfw Dhelmise is the closest we'll ever get to a Pokemon with three types

gliscor&yanmega

Personally, I like they made things rare and dufficult to get. You have to really put in the effort to get something really nice and even powerful.

Of course you can always trade and hope to get some nice stuff that way.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It is a pretty bad encounter rating for something they hold off until the very end of the game practically..... 1%, I hunted Dhelmise for two hours! Before giving up and breeding a Bagon and throwing it onto the GTS. I'm fine with evolutions having that encounter rate, like Steelix and others in the past..... but a unique Pokemon? Yeah.... how about no?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
It is a pretty bad encounter rating for something they hold off until the very end of the game practically..... 1%, I hunted Dhelmise for two hours! Before giving up and breeding a Bagon and throwing it onto the GTS. I'm fine with evolutions having that encounter rate, like Steelix and others in the past..... but a unique Pokemon? Yeah.... how about no?

You should be fishing only when the spot is bubbling. It will always bubble when you arrive in Seafolk Village, and if you don't get your Dhelmise, you just have to walk back into the Steelix boat's interiors and walk back out, and it'll be bubbling again. Dhelmise has a 10% encounter rate when bubbling. I have encountered Dhelmises by accident EV-training for HP (I fish for Wailmer in Seafolk Village for that).

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I've probably gotten like 10 dhelmise over wonder trade so that's a good place to look.

or do you prefer to capture them in the wild?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I've probably gotten like 10 dhelmise over wonder trade so that's a good place to look.

or do you prefer to capture them in the wild?

Only if I'm going to use it on my team. Otherwise I'll search on GTS for better odds at the Lotto

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
WHY DOES DRAMPA LEARN FLY!? Are they seriously referencing the dog dragon from the never ending story!?

Are those arms actually wings!?!?!?!?

gliscor&yanmega

WHY DOES DRAMPA LEARN FLY!? Are they seriously referencing the dog dragon from the never ending story!?

Are those arms actually wings!?!?!?!?

Highly unlikely. It's based on a typical Chinese Dragon, as well as the Chinese myth of Zhulong(Basically a Chinese Dragon with an old man face).

The arms are still arms, the Dragons simply fly...by magic Dragon powers I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.