• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

piemaster924000

Finals make me cry
I think a siamese cat with the typing normal/ghost and ability levitate and magic bounce

Rampharos

[IMG200]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8cubjxW0S1rukiqco1_500.jpg[/IMG200]

[IMG200]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/archive/5/59/20111008223340!Jynx_Foot.png[/IMG200]

Fair point, but you know what I meant. The part where there wasn't already purple skin haha :)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Meh, but we have Deerling, Sawsbuck, and Stantler as deer Pokemon already so I don't think we need more.

I don't think another deer pokemon would be a bad thing tho. As long as its design and type are vastly different, I wouldn't mind. In terms of new deer-like pokemon I kind of hope we get an elk or moose pokemon that's intimidating. :3

JudySpell

Banned
Pokemon's take on fairies seems to be the cutsie and benevolent/mischievous. The only that that might come off as more malevolent that playful is Mawile with it's whole deception theme. But that could still just stick with the "mischievous" category. I don't really get why mawile got the fairy typing anyway. It's based off of a japanese spirit like frosslass, and I think spirits should be ghost type. In general a lot of these darker "fairies" would fit the dark and ghost typing better than fairy.

It just seems that gamefreak has a pretty general idea of what pokemon fairies are. They may not have the clearest theme, but it certainly isn't malevolent.

I just think that GF sticking with a cutesy trend when it comes to Fairies will get old quick and that Sun and Moon should have more variety when it comes to new Fairy type designs and portrayal.

XXD17

Draco rex
I just thought of something funny...Just watch them troll us and still not give us a dolphin 'mon, but instead they give us an ichthyosaur as a fossil 'mon...which can still be cool I guess lol

Speaking of fossils, I wonder what they'll give us? Gens I and III gave us prehistoric sea life (and the outlier, Aerodactyl), Gens IV and VI gave us dinosaurs. Maybe it's a pattern of repeating themes every two gens and they'll give us ancient animals like in Gen V?

In that case, proper mammoth and non legendary sabre tooth tiger please and then we'd just need a triceratops and we can make some weird Pokemon megazord

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
Speaking of fossils, I wonder what they'll give us? Gens I and III gave us prehistoric sea life (and the outlier, Aerodactyl), Gens IV and VI gave us dinosaurs. Maybe it's a pattern of repeating themes every two gens and they'll give us ancient animals like in Gen V?

In that case, proper mammoth and non legendary sabre tooth tiger please and then we'd just need a triceratops and we can make some weird Pokemon megazord

maybe an ancient extinct mammals?
like Smilodon?

maybe an ancient extinct mammals?
like Smilodon?

Isn't a smilodon a sabre tooth tiger or related to it? :?

Regardless, if it is a thing they'll probably play up the 'smile' aspect of its name, especially since a lot of attention is brought to its mouth already due to its teeth.

Maybe have it as a Rock/Normal sweeper-sequel Pokemon?

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
Isn't a smilodon a sabre tooth tiger or related to it? :?

Regardless, if it is a thing they'll probably play up the 'smile' aspect of its name, especially since a lot of attention is brought to its mouth already due to its teeth.

Maybe have it as a Rock/Normal sweeper-sequel Pokemon?

I just want to see a fossilised mammals... only ancient extinct mammal Pokemon we have is Mammoswine... and it isn't even a fossil Pokemon... it would be nice to have a mammal fossil pokemon for a change

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
I just think that GF sticking with a cutesy trend when it comes to Fairies will get old quick and that Sun and Moon should have more variety when it comes to new Fairy type designs and portrayal.

I think they will just stay with the cutey theme, and I want them to. All these "darker" fairies belong to other types. Fairy type may be the vaguest in terms of what belongs there imo. But it's clear enough to tell that gamefreak has a general idea for what fits the bill. The darkest fairies will probably be pokemon with fairy as their secondary typing like mawile. I just don't think gamefreak sharesthis view on fairies that it seems many here do. They want cute, sometimes pink, magical, feminine ect.. pokes.

the1guyalone

I have found the shape of the symbol a very interesting thing, the sun looks like it may be solrock... mega evolution? on the other hand the moon looks like it might be a mega evolved salamence or a lunatone... mega evolution? but this might just be a coincidence what do you think?

Rampharos

For the talk about fossil mammals, I'd like that too. I do think that the reason it hasn't happened yet is because of how similar ancient mammals are to modern mammals. Lots of mammalian Pokemon take inspiration from ancient mammals already (Mamoswine, Slaking, Raikou, etc.). It's a lot easier to make visibly distinct fossil Pokemon from other forms of ancient life and just incorporate old mammals into standard Pokemon designs.

I have found the shape of the symbol a very interesting thing, the sun looks like it may be solrock... mega evolution? on the other hand the moon looks like it might be a mega evolved salamence or a lunatone... mega evolution? but this might just be a coincidence what do you think?

That's because solrock and lunatone are shaped like a sun and a moon hahah :)
It's probable that those Pokemon will get megas, but improbable that they'd reference that in the game logo.

Super Nerd 7997

Crazy Plant Guy
ancient animals like in Gen V

Tirtouga and Carracosta are based on the leatherback sea turtle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leatherback_sea_turtle) which is not really ancient at all, and still alive in the present. In fact the species has not been around anywhere near as long as the coelacanth, which Relicanth is based on (IMO Relicanth qualifies as a fossil Pokemon, or at least a pseudo-fossil, based on its typing and design basis).

I would like some fossils based on extinct mammals, maybe the giant ground sloth (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megatherium) and the Thylacine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine which, btw, some people speculate may not be entirely extinct, the Austrailian outback is a big place after all. There are a handful of reported sightings in recent years).

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Xerneas does not fit the fairy theme and I believe it only got the typing to help advertise fairy types.
Or the "fairy theme" is just not as clear cut... The Fairy Stag is a relatively common motive.

If you look a lot of fairy pokemon are fairly creepy or "off" in some way (not the "i'm gonna hit you over the head with how creepy I am" kind, but just...weird)

We have the Clefairy line which might be aliens from the moon...
Whimsicott is based on the Scythian Lamb
Mawlie is one of the pokemon that is most obviously based on a rather unsettling Youkai (and again, youkai and fairies have a lot in common)
Guardevoir is a strange phantom made of sheets or ribbons...
Mr. Mime looks and moves like a possessed doll
Aromatisse is straight out of Jim Hanson's Labyrinth.
Kleflki is a object spirit.

In general the animal-based fairies tend to be more cutesy than the non-animal based ones. I still don't get how Marill and Dedenne are fairies...

I agree that it is unlikely we'd ever get a Nukelavee pokemon and that a Dullahan would fit a Dark/Ghost type better (due to its association with death) just like it would be wrong to shoehorn every dinosaur into some "dinosaur" type it would be limiting to shuffle every mythical entity into the "Fairy" type, even if it is a "fairy" in folklore.

Yet I don't think a pokemon is required to be a pink candy with doll eyes to have the type.

A Banshee would actually make a good Fairy/Ghost though... there''s a lot of things you can do with that concept.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Or the "fairy theme" is just not as clear cut... The Fairy Stag is a relatively common motive.

If you look a lot of fairy pokemon are fairly creepy or "off" in some way (not the "i'm gonna hit you over the head with how creepy I am" kind, but just...weird)

We have the Clefairy line which might be aliens from the moon...
Whimsicott is based on the Scythian Lamb
Mawlie is one of the pokemon that is most obviously based on a rather unsettling Youkai (and again, youkai and fairies have a lot in common)
Guardevoir is a strange phantom made of sheets or ribbons...
Mr. Mime looks and moves like a possessed doll
Aromatisse is straight out of Jim Hanson's Labyrinth.
Kleflki is a object spirit.

In general the animal-based fairies tend to be more cutesy than the non-animal based ones. I still don't get how Marill and Dedenne are fairies...

I agree that it is unlikely we'd ever get a Nukelavee pokemon and that a Dullahan would fit a Dark/Ghost type better (due to its association with death) just like it would be wrong to shoehorn every dinosaur into some "dinosaur" type it would be limiting to shuffle every mythical entity into the "Fairy" type, even if it is a "fairy" in folklore.

Yet I don't think a pokemon is required to be a pink candy with doll eyes to have the type.

A Banshee would actually make a good Fairy/Ghost though... there''s a lot of things you can do with that concept.

Pokemon can really make any design into any type it wants and they can basically justify it however they want by adding a design to it that is pink/cutesy, moonlike, or lifelike. Xerneas make sense for being a fairy type due to its life giving abilities and goddess like appearance. It reminds me of princess minoko so much too. Marill reminds me of a water sprite and they have those floaty tails for saving lives, so I think that counts for something.

Also dinosaur type doesn't sound good to me personally. I get there was an extinction event, but it wouldn't just wipe out one solo type from the world while keeping every other type. They're basically just a class of animals that are now extinct, so no need to make a type out of it imo.

Orphalesion

Pokemon can really make any design into any type it wants and they can basically justify it however they want by adding a design to it that is pink/cutesy, moonlike, or lifelike. Xerneas make sense for being a fairy type due to its life giving abilities and goddess like appearance. It reminds me of princess minoko so much too. Marill reminds me of a water sprite and they have those floaty tails for saving lives, so I think that counts for something.

Also dinosaur type doesn't sound good to me personally. I get there was an extinction event, but it wouldn't just wipe out one solo type from the world while keeping every other type. They're basically just a class of animals that are now extinct, so no need to make a type out of it imo.

I think you completely misunderstood me.

My point was exactly that types are not tied to a specific design. I was not the one saying Xarneas does not look like a fairy type, that was @Nunn

And I did not call the dinosaur type a good idea, it was something another poster tried to sell a few pages back and I rebutted it. Dinosaur would be a completely redundant type.

ninijatt

Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude
We have a mono electric eel pokemon and a mono ground hippo. There aren't exactly rules associated with any of the types but they all still make sense.

And yeah, all fossil pokemon are rock type anyway so a dinosaur type would be completely pointless and I don't think the type chart needs any further balancing at this moment. Though, Normal could use a buff as it is now the worst offensive type with nothing being weak to it. While I'm at it, fairy could be weak to normal. It works, faeries die when you don't believe in them or something. Plus fairy only has two weaknesses, it can stand to have one more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.