• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
note that both of them are from Japan and while I'm not saying Pokemon copied fairy tails the concept and idea of fairies or "light" as pure incorruptible force is quite popular in Japan and Pokemon took that idea and applied it in their world

Both Japanese =/= Same Thing

also Fairytail I just vomitted a bit

Yes, because Xerneas, Whimsicott and Slurpuff are magical girls. Magical, yes. But magical girls? Definetley not sailor girls or witch hunters.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
Both Japanese =/= Same Thing

also Fairytail I just vomitted a bit

Yes, because Xerneas, Whimsicott and Slurpuff are magical girls. Magical, yes. But magical girls? Definetley not sailor girls or witch hunters.

but like I said before fairies as divine light beings is popular trope in Japan.
There is a reason why magical girls have a fairy like motif.
like Cardcaptor Sakura
6647ee40a20e4bcdacfbd03e5abd58bb.jpg
which have an angelic theme going on
as well as sailor Moon
both of them have an angelic theme...

Lucasjeha

Then you'd have to have a "Prehistoric Island" in every region... which still would make the type too exclusive to the area.

Grouped those together. As I said, in fantasy, dragons and dinosaurs often get grouped together, such as in Dungeons and Dragons (DnD) where, depending on the edition dinosaurs are classified as dragons. Even gamefreak seems to link them, the T-Rex pokemon is dragon type and mega Sceptile gains the dragon type. It's believed that in real life dinosaur bones contributed to the dragon myth.
I just don't hink they are, in an abstract, basic level different enough to warrant their own type. Even mechanics wise... what would a dinosaur be strong or weak against? Strong against Grass? (because the one thing grass needs is another weakness)

Nobody outside of Schwarzenegger in batman and Robin says the dinosaurs were destroyed by an Ice Age. The K-Pg extinction event was more akin to a nuclear war than an ice age with some theories speaking of Nuclear Winter (something altogether different from an Ice Age) global firestorms and a poisonous atmosphere. Following that logic it would make more sense making them weak to Poison, Fire and Rock.

Exactly, which is why they should not be shoehorned into a single type, but kept as they are now belonging to a whole number of types. It'd be like making a "mammal" type.

I agree we need some revision. But maybe a different type. Not saying I have a concept I consider good enough, but it would need to be something more versatile I reckon.

Sorry for the late reply. Had a very busy day today!

First of all thanks for clearing it up about what is "DnD". I don't know Dungeons and Dragons, so I can't give any opinion on that, thanks anyway for telling me what it is!

As for the Dinosaur Type, you said about it being just a group of animals, we have that on Bug, Flying and a bit of Water type too. I understand your point, but I think dinosaurs have an incredible vast set of possibilities. We have dinosaurs who inhabited oceans, flying dinosaurs, dinosaurs who could make use of toxic substances, like Dilophosaurus, Dinosaurs who had some huge bone mass in some parts in order to defend itself, dinosaurs from lots of different sizes. All other Pokemon Types, could be used to make good mixes. You can even use the places they inhabited to set that.

As for what I think dinosaurs would be effective against, I think they could be effective against Dragon Type (Dinosaurs were strong creatures who dominated Earth during a very long period of time), against Steel (Their strenght as well as Fighting Type is great enough to even go well against Steel), Ground Type (Their strenght and usually great body mass, are heavy enough to leave marks everywhere) and also Ghost Type (Dinosaurs would beat death, by coming back from fossils to live once again).

Who would be effective against Dinosaur: Dragon Type (For the same reason as the dinousaurs are effective against dragons, they are rivals, on one side, fantasy creatures who were created to be the most powerful, on the other side, dinosaurs were the most destructive and powerful creatures to step on Earth), Ice Type (For the Ice Age theory, you said about Schwarzenegger, but this theory were used in many other stuff, inclusing the movies (Ice Age)) and Poison Type (Thinking again about the huge meteor that fell on Earth, the cloud of dust that covered Earth, had a lot of toxic substances, so it's logical to give Poison that advantage).

Against who, Dinosaur attacks would be (not very effective): Ice (Dinosaurs simply could not do anything to fight against the ice and it's terrible power), Grass Type (no matter how much plants the herbivorous dinosaurs would eat, they excrement would spread seeds and help them to grow back), Fight Type (Dinosaurs didn't even had the chance to face humans) and Poison (For the same reason that Posion are strong against dinosaurs).

Attack types that would be (not very effective) on dinosaurs: Fight Type (for the same reason that dinosaurs aren't very effective against fighters), Ghost Type (Dinosaurs came back to life from the fossils, beating death), Ground Type (The soil even helped the fossils to last for millions of years) and Water Type (Water can't do anything against dinosaurs rough skins).

Of course it's just an idea and could be thought much deeper into, but I would love to see Pokemon expanding the quantity of types, it would be much better for us, giving much more different combinations and possibilities to form our Pokemon teams.

As for the Type Chart, there are a few things that really bugs me. Some examples.

First, why Poison isn't strong against Bug? What everybody uses to kill bugs? Poison! That would be the most logical effectiveness of Poison Type, together with being strong against Grass.

Second, Grass Type has too much weaknesses comparing to it's resistances and effectiveness.

Third, Ice Type has only one resistance (against itself), there should be much more, Water and Grass comes up to my mind, but it would be making Grass even weaker, so Electric could be there (Ice particles in clouds create lightning, so the electricity there exists thanks to that ice) and Fairy also comes up to my mind.

Fourth, Steel Type is resistant to 10 types and doesn't receive damage from another one, while it's strong against other 3 types. They are too out of balance comparing to other types.

I think that's it, sorry for writing so much, everytime I think and write about Pokemon I get excited. It's very good to find such a place to do so. Hope to have much more talks like this with you and all the other members here.

PS: What's your favourite Pokemon Type?

Lucasjeha

I think it's about time that we get a dolphin based Pokemon.

I can also imagine a Water/Fairy Mermaid like Pokemon.

And here's hoping for Mega Jynx !
That's a nice idea! Some others came to my mind, an Ice/Psychic Snow Owl, an Ice/Fighting White Tiger, a Fire/Fighting Bengal Tiger, a Grass/Dark Maned Wolf... there are several animals who could inspire!

A Mega Jynx would be tasty!

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
~snippysaurus~

Sorry, but no. It's just too redundant because Rock and Dragon are enough for dinosaurs. Hell, it doesn't even have to be either of those types - Meganium's family is based on sauropods and works just fine as a pure Grass-type. That's like thinking of a 'Machine-type' when Steel/Electric exists.

Last edited:

GDK

I don't want a new type, that would add to the confusion I think. LEt's settle with the 18 we have, and please just make hidden power fairy a thing.

As for new pokemon ? A koala, a platypus, a kangaroo other than kangaskhan (based on male without babies but fighting type with boxing gloves), and I don't know, a dolphin would be cool (but not as starter), for fossils I want the return of at leasqt one flying one, and the other rock/fighting.

Galvantula1992

TV Tropes is far from an official source, and is mostly fan interpretation with almost no input from content creators. It also can't predict the future. Because of this, it's riddled with inaccuracies. For example, it stated on its RWBY character page that Winter Schnee created projectiles out of ice, when it was obviously another ability introduced in the next episode.

Also like, over half of Pokemon designs are bright in colour?

And? If it was based off of purity, so much more Pokemon would be Fairy and Mawile would most likely not be Fairy.

Also:

Fairy > Dragon: Dragons die in Fairytales, dragons often need to be defeated with magic
Fairy > Dark: Evil fails in Fairytales, plain trickery is outclassed by magical trickery
Fairy > Fighting: Dumbledore > Muhammad Ali

Poison > Fairy: Fairies are always tied with nature, nature (Grass) is also weak to poison

And if they were trying to convey purity, why not make it a 'Holy' or 'Light'-Type instead?

Poison > Fairy : Fairies are always tied with nature (Grass) is also weak to Poison

Or because as you say Fairys are "pure", if Fairys are covered in filthy Poison, they are no longer pure.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I think that the only rational type would be something like Sound-based (as many speculated) which would be Super-Effective against Electric-Type.
Electric type needs another weakness.

Orphalesion

Snip snip

No true dinosaur was ever aquatic (those marine reptiles just went extinct at the same time as dinosaurs) and well of course dinosaurs can fly, look outside the window and you might see some chirping around. As to the types you brought up, flying started out as the "bird" type in pre-production but then branched out to encompass a huge number of flying animals, water, again includes a huge number of diverse creatures, some of which are not even aquatic and was never a "fish" type.
Bug...well bugs (and other creepy crawlies) having their own type might be a relic resulting from pokemon being inspired by insect fights.
A dinosaur (reptile, bird) just doesn't function differently enough from a lion or a iguana to warrant its own typem unless you add an element to it, in which case it it'd be a fire/water/grass pokemon.
The dilophosaurus spitting poison was an invention by Jurassic Park to make it "cooler" real life dilophosaurs were large, fairly run-of-the-mill predators that used their teeth and claws. There is currently no evidence that suggests any dinosaur using toxic substances, because such evidence would not survive 65+ million years.

The Ice Age movies are not an argument for a supposed ice-weakness. The theory that dinosaurs went extinct is an old, old, outdated theory that was popular before 1) we knew that some dinosaurs were/are warmblooded and 2) we knew of the K-Pg event (the actual cause of their extinction) 3) We knew for sure when the periods that would correspond to the average's person's idea of an "Ice Age" happened (long before and long after the dinosaurs) That's like saying dinosaurs should be weak against water, because some Young-Earth Creationists claim the deluge wiped them out.
Let me again introduce you to the antarctic dinosaurs, which lived in places with snowfall, freezing temperatures and six-months of night: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Polar_dinosaurs. While it was warmer there back then, with no ice caps, it would be false to say that these saurs never experienced frost or snow and they were fine with it.

Of course more types would be cool, but they can't make everything into a type just to have more types. Fairy was a stroke of genius, we didn't have something yet that was whimsical, glittering and shimmering and magic. Dinosaurs? We already have reptiles that are big, exotic and dangerous (dragons) Would be kind of like making a Jewel type when we already have Rock or a Fungus type when we already have Grass (plants and fungi are of course not even in the same kingdom, but they function similarly enough under pokemon terms)
A new type would have to be exactly that; New.

As to rebalancing the type chart; I never understood why Flying would be effective against Grass, that could easily be removed. And Ice, as I said just make them strong against Fairies.

Don't apologize, it's good to be passionate about things. And this is the place to talk Pokemon.

PS: My favorite types are Fairy and Ground.

Last edited:

REMARCABLE

I feel as though GF has covered pretty much all grounds when it comes to type.

The best ones I have heard being Light, Sound, Magic and Cosmic

But at the same time, there are already existing types that pretty much simulate that
Light=Electric
Magic=Fairy/Psychic
Cosmic=Psychic

The only thing they can really do is alter the type chart to make any game changing adjustments

Orphalesion

I feel as though GF has covered pretty much all grounds when it comes to type.

The best ones I have heard being Light, Sound, Magic and Cosmic

But at the same time, there are already existing types that pretty much simulate that
Light=Electric
Magic=Fairy/Psychic
Cosmic=Psychic

The only thing they can really do is alter the type chart to make any game changing adjustments

I agree very much with this. Sound-type might be the most solid concept as far as fan-made types go (which is not saying much, though). It could actually be used to re-balance quite a bit by being weak against plant and ice (plants grow better if you play music to them, the old myth that loud noises cause avalanches) thus boosting the two (right now) weakest types. Plus there are a number of pokemon associated with sound/,music that could easily be retyped like Jigglypuff becoming Sound/Fairy or moves like Hyper Voice and Screech.

Sound/Noise/Music are also concepts that would lend themselves well to the creation of new pokemon.

However, then there's Disarming Voice, imho we can't just take that away from Fairy.
And, of course "soundproof" might be a problem, seeing as all Sound type moves would be sound based...
Also what would sound be effective against? Psychic (breaking their concentration)?

Akashin

However, then there's Disarming Voice, imho we can't just take that away from Fairy.
And, of course "soundproof" might be a problem, seeing as all Sound type moves would be sound based...
Also what would sound be effective against? Psychic (breaking their concentration)?

To be fair, a Sound type would just make Soundproof the Sound equivalent to Levitate. So it wouldn't be that big of a problem.

.Aerodactyl.

To be fair, a Sound type would just make Soundproof the Sound equivalent to Levitate. So it wouldn't be that big of a problem.

I agree. There are already more leviate Pokémon then soundproof ones anyway!

If sound type was a thing, here are what I could see getting the typing:

Voltorb and electrode (Electric/sound)
Wigglytuff line (Sound/fairy)
Exploud line (Sound)
Chatot (sound/flying)
Kricketot and kricketune (Bug/Sound)
Noivern line (Sound/Dragon)
Pyroar line (fire/sound)
Chingling and chimecho (psychic/sound)
Audino (normal/sound - and mega Audino would keep the normal/fairy typing)
Meloetta (sound/psychic and sound/fighting)
Maractus (grass/sound)

I don't think we will get a new type, but if we did I agree that sound is the most logical and has the most possibilities. I do see a new type being necessary in the series eventually, but probably not for several generations. Basically when they are erunnifnnout of fresh type combinations and need something to re-ignite the franchise.

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!

Exploud line (Sound)
Chatot (sound/flying)
Pyroar line (fire/sound)
Maractus (grass/sound)

I don't think we will get a new type, but if we did I agree that sound is the most logical and has the most possibilities. I do see a new type being necessary in the series eventually, but probably not for several generations. Basically when they are erunnifnnout of fresh type combinations and need something to re-ignite the franchise.

More pokemons that could fit in:

Politoed: Water/ Sound
Mighteyana: Dark/ Sound

A ghost/ sound pokemon that lures its victims??? Maybe a possessed harp or a singing pokemon maybe.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
More pokemons that could fit in:

Politoed: Water/ Sound
Mighteyana: Dark/ Sound

A ghost/ sound pokemon that lures its victims??? Maybe a possessed harp or a singing pokemon maybe.

A Banshee would fit that typing pretty well, I feel!

giu

Exploud line (Sound)
Chatot (sound/flying)
Pyroar line (fire/sound)
Maractus (grass/sound)

Misdreavus and Mismagius should be ghost/song too.
A new type will not be introduced now, because fairy type was recently introduced and it need to be matured. But maybe in more or less 5 generations, that can happen.

I think the sound, or dinossaur type can work. But the last have a odd name, maybe ancient type or something like that would be a better name, so it's not limited to a specie like dragon or bug.

Never got the light, cosmic type, though.

The thing is though, unless duel type moves become regular rather than rare gimmicks, sound probably isn't happening because other moves such as Snarl and Grass Whistle are appropriately signed to other types. Along with this, certain Pokemon like Noibat and Noivern also have appropriate typings that make sound unnecessary.

Plus its type relations would be too wonky.

Seeing how more varied Fairy-Types and non-water sea Pokemon are in request, I want a Dark/Fairy Goblin Shark. Goblins are seen as evil, but still magical creatures, and this shark lives deep in darkness and is pink, because apparently that makes it as good as fairy according to this thread.

Bus

The thing is though, unless duel type moves become regular rather than rare gimmicks, sound probably isn't happening because other moves such as Snarl and Grass Whistle are appropriately signed to other types. Along with this, certain Pokemon like Noibat and Noivern also have appropriate typings that make sound unnecessary.

Plus its type relations would be too wonky.

Seeing how more varied Fairy-Types and non-water sea Pokemon are in request, I want a Dark/Fairy Goblin Shark. Goblins are seen as evil, but still magical creatures, and this shark lives deep in darkness and is pink, because apparently that makes it as good as fairy according to this thread.

To be fair, most of the pokemon types have an affiliated color most of the time with only a few pokemon breaking the trend. Most water types are some shade of blue; Poison is purple; Fire is Red; Steel is silver/grey; Rock is dark brown; Ground is light brown; Electric is yellow;Grass is green; Dark is Black; and Normal is White. Ghost seems to kind of lean towards the darker end of the color spectrum with purples and navy blue. Bug, Fighting, and Flying are the ones that seem to vary greatly in color schemes. That's why we sometimes have pokemon come out like Zebstrika and we think its going to be part Dark type due to its coloring. it may not always turn out that way, but it happens so often we start to generalize without even realizing it.

Last edited:
To be fair, most of the pokemon types have an affiliated color most of the time with only a few pokemon breaking the trend. Most water types are some shade of blue; Poison is purple; Fire is Red; Steel is silver/grey; Rock is dark brown; Ground is light brown; Electric is yellow; Grass is green; Dark is Black; and Normal is White. Fighting, Flying, and Ghost are the ones that seem to vary greatly in color schemes.

I know, but Pokemon tend to be their colour based on type, not vice versa, as some have suggested in regards to Fairy.

Bus

Yeah, I guess that's true. They're the color they are because of their type. They're not a certain type because of their color palette. Honestly I hadn't really even realized how much they all had certain colors to them until I thought about it and listed them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.