• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I guess that's true. They're the color they are because of their type. They're not a certain type because of their color palette. Honestly I hadn't really even realized how much they all had certain colors to them until I thought about it and listed them out.

You know, this conversation makes me hope for some more varied colours. Like, a purely white Dark Type or a midnight black Fairy Type.

Bus

You know, this conversation makes me hope for some more varied colours. Like, a purely white Dark Type or a midnight black Fairy Type.

I kind of feel like shiny colors scratch that itch for me.

I kind of feel like shiny colors scratch that itch for me.

Yeah, shinies add the necessary variety, but on the other hand it's kinda offset by their rarity.

Citizen Insane

Eh, life is a game.
Sound type is never going to happen.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I agree. There are already more leviate Pokémon then soundproof ones anyway!

If sound type was a thing, here are what I could see getting the typing:

Voltorb and electrode (Electric/sound)
Wigglytuff line (Sound/fairy)
Exploud line (Sound)
Chatot (sound/flying)
Kricketot and kricketune (Bug/Sound)
Noivern line (Sound/Dragon)
Pyroar line (fire/sound)
Chingling and chimecho (psychic/sound)
Audino (normal/sound - and mega Audino would keep the normal/fairy typing)
Meloetta (sound/psychic and sound/fighting)
Maractus (grass/sound)

I don't think we will get a new type, but if we did I agree that sound is the most logical and has the most possibilities. I do see a new type being necessary in the series eventually, but probably not for several generations. Basically when they are erunnifnnout of fresh type combinations and need something to re-ignite the franchise.
I think Noivern would be better as Flying/Sound, given it doesn't have many Dragon like features. (IMO at least)

Anyways, I do believe if we are to get another new type this gen Sound would be most plausible or Light.

Orphalesion

Oh man, me too! I'm a bit sick of the colour-coding...though let's hopew it will never again be as bad as it was in Gen 1 with what felt like 40% brown mons and 40% more purple ones.

Akashin

Sound type is never going to happen.

Now? Probably, if not certainly not. But there's no reason to say another new type will never happen at all, and Sound is as good a guess as any.

I think Noivern would be better as Flying/Sound, given it doesn't have many Dragon like features. (IMO at least)

Noivern's looks and name (bat qualities aside) are based upon a wyvern, so Sound/Dragon works just as well.

Citizen Insane

Eh, life is a game.
Now? Probably, if not certainly not. But there's no reason to say another new type will never happen at all, and Sound is as good a guess as any.

Noivern's looks and name (bat qualities aside) are based upon a wyvern, so Sound/Dragon works just as well.
The reason why I don't think Sound type will ever come to reality is because it's very obvious and not something GF would do. It means a whole revamp of move types is going to be needed and some soundbased moves are really type specific, Snarl, Bug Buzz, Metal Sound and Grass Whistle for example. Just like with Light type, we got Fairy type instead, no one expected Fairy type. I think a type like Cosmic type is a better guess than Sound. But then again I'm not a developing member of GF and therefore I shouldn't say "never", but still VERY unlikely.

Last edited:

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while

I mean, Pokemon have at least two different colors or at least two different shades of the same color (including the eye color, so yes Ditto is technically pink and black). Absol (and its Mega forme more so) can fulfill the white-colored Dark type.

The midnight black fairy would (hopefully) be majestic af.

pokemonbw01

Who's the daddy? Me!
Are Water and Flying the only types to have been dual typed with every other type? Wow! There should be more of Water/ Bug, Water/ Dragon and Flying/ Fighting though. Maybe a Water/ Fairy Mega Milotic or a mermaid too?

XXD17

Draco rex
Tirtouga and Carracosta are based on the leatherback sea turtle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leatherback_sea_turtle) which is not really ancient at all, and still alive in the present. In fact the species has not been around anywhere near as long as the coelacanth, which Relicanth is based on (IMO Relicanth qualifies as a fossil Pokemon, or at least a pseudo-fossil, based on its typing and design basis).

I would like some fossils based on extinct mammals, maybe the giant ground sloth (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megatherium) and the Thylacine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine which, btw, some people speculate may not be entirely extinct, the Austrailian outback is a big place after all. There are a handful of reported sightings in recent years).

I'm pretty sure the tirtouga line is inspired by Archelon, a very famous genus of ancient sea turtles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archelon . For what it's worth, the leatherback is its closest living descendant though...relicanth's rock typing is already a tongue and cheek allusion to how it's a "living fossil", but it's not extinct so it shouldn't qualify as a fossil. Tirtouga and carracosta are extinct so they qualify as fossils. It's simple as that. Sure you can revive them, which makes them technically non-extinct, but they don't naturally exist in the current time period. You get the idea lol.

What I would like to see though is maybe a revamp to the fossil system. Change it up a bit. The first sets of fossils have been ancient invertebrates and reptiles, but the trend is that they have been modernizing. Trilobites and ammonites (along with the ancient crinoid genuses and Anomalocaris) came before dinosaurs (cranidos and shieldon), which came before Archaeopteryx (which technically was a dinosaur, but a fairly late genus and is actually more there to represent the dawn of the modern birds) and Archelon (more there to represent the dawn of modern reptiles since Archelon differed very little form modern sea turtles). T. rex and Amargasaurus were dinosaurs that came around the later end of the Cretaceous as well. Aerodactyl is the odd one out here.

As you can see, there is an "age of invertebrates" chunk (1-3), and an "age of reptiles" chunk (4-6), so we should have an "age of mammals" chunk next if moving down the timeline sequentially...

Therefore, it would be cool for the next "fossils" to be ice age mammals, the ones that come next naturally. Furthermore, this will allow us to do away with the obligatory rock typing because instead of fossils, why not revive them from frozen remains? Replace rock with ice instead...we can have a "frozen fang" that gets revived into an ice/ fire type Smilodon and a "frozen tusk/ pelt" that gets revived into an ice/grass mammoth or something...

Last edited:

REMARCABLE

I agree very much with this. Sound-type might be the most solid concept as far as fan-made types go (which is not saying much, though). It could actually be used to re-balance quite a bit by being weak against plant and ice (plants grow better if you play music to them, the old myth that loud noises cause avalanches) thus boosting the two (right now) weakest types. Plus there are a number of pokemon associated with sound/,music that could easily be retyped like Jigglypuff becoming Sound/Fairy or moves like Hyper Voice and Screech.

Sound/Noise/Music are also concepts that would lend themselves well to the creation of new pokemon.

However, then there's Disarming Voice, imho we can't just take that away from Fairy.
And, of course "soundproof" might be a problem, seeing as all Sound type moves would be sound based...
Also what would sound be effective against? Psychic (breaking their concentration)?

I'd say Sound based moves and if in theory there is a Sound type shouldn't effect Pokemon with Soundproof
The ability as is is pretty situational already, a buff wouldn't make it OP

Many Pokemon could be retyped to it such as Jigglypuff, Exploud, Chatot, Chimecho, Meloetta

Noivern could be given a Mega and retool it as Dragon/Sound etc

But Sound is perhaps the most viable type that hasn't been done by another type, many Pokemon are based on sound just have very little to capitalize on that

Orphalesion

As you can see, there is an "age of invertebrates" chunk (1-3), and an "age of reptiles" chunk (4-6), so we should have an "age of mammals" chunk next if moving down the timeline sequentially...

Therefore, it would be cool for the next "fossils" to be ice age mammals, the ones that come next naturally. Furthermore, this will allow us to do away with the obligatory rock typing because instead of fossils, why not revive them from frozen remains? Replace rock with ice instead...we can have a "frozen fang" that gets revived into an ice/ fire type Smilodon and a "frozen tusk/ pelt" that gets revived into an ice/grass mammoth or something...

I dunno, personally I'd like to have some more Age of Invertebrates stuff... lots of interesting, weird stuff in the Cambrian and Pre-Cambrian...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribrachidium https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucigenia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charnia

I'm not opposed to extinct mammals though, many of them were very interesting, but with many of them (and dinosaurs too actually) I'd rather have them as regular pokemon jumping around in the wilderness.

In general I'd like for a region to feature something like the Savage Land in Marvel Comics, just a little area where the fossil pokemon survived and can be encountered in the wild...

Super Nerd 7997

Crazy Plant Guy
I'm pretty sure the tirtouga line is inspired by Archelon, a very famous genus of ancient sea turtles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archelon . For what it's worth, the leatherback is its closest living descendant though...relicanth's rock typing is already a tongue and cheek allusion to how it's a "living fossil", but it's not extinct so it shouldn't qualify as a fossil. Tirtouga and carracosta are extinct so they qualify as fossils. It's simple as that. Sure you can revive them, which makes them technically non-extinct, but they don't naturally exist in the current time period. You get the idea lol.

What I would like to see though is maybe a revamp to the fossil system. Change it up a bit. The first sets of fossils have been ancient invertebrates and reptiles, but the trend is that they have been modernizing. Trilobites and ammonites (along with the ancient crinoid genuses and Anomalocaris) came before dinosaurs (cranidos and shieldon), which came before Archaeopteryx (which technically was a dinosaur, but a fairly late genus and is actually more there to represent the dawn of the modern birds) and Archelon (more there to represent the dawn of modern reptiles since Archelon differed very little form modern sea turtles). T. rex and Amargasaurus were dinosaurs that came around the later end of the Cretaceous as well. Aerodactyl is the odd one out here.

Huh, I did not know that about Archelon, thanks for clearing that up!

We already kind of have a mammoth in Mamoswine and a caveman in Tangrowth, though I like the idea of frozen remains. I still like the idea of a giant ground sloth Pokemon.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
Huh, I did not know that about Archelon, thanks for clearing that up!

We already kind of have a mammoth in Mamoswine and a caveman in Tangrowth, though I like the idea of frozen remains. I still like the idea of a giant ground sloth Pokemon.

So long as it's different enough to Slaking :D

unmindful

Poison Pumpkin
The reason why I don't think Sound type will ever come to reality is because it's very obvious and not something GF would do. It means a whole revamp of move types is going to be needed and some soundbased moves are really type specific, Snarl, Bug Buzz, Metal Sound and Grass Whistle for example. Just like with Light type, we got Fairy type instead, no one expected Fairy type. I think a type like Cosmic type is a better guess than Sound. But then again I'm not a developing member of GF and therefore I shouldn't say "never", but still VERY unlikely.
I agree with this. I really dislike the idea of retyping moves like Bug Buzz since Bug types would lose STAB. Also retyping Pokemon like Noivern into Sound/Dragon which means losing that great Flying typing. Sound moves already have special qualities, it's kinda unnecessary to make a whole new type around them.

IMO, it's kinda unnecessary to have any new type. Fairy made sense since the meta game was unbalance in favor of Dragon and Fighting types. Introducing another new type would just complicate things further when it's easier to rebalance the existing type chart.

REMARCABLE

I agree with this. I really dislike the idea of retyping moves like Bug Buzz since Bug types would lose STAB. Also retyping Pokemon like Noivern into Sound/Dragon which means losing that great Flying typing. Sound moves already have special qualities, it's kinda unnecessary to make a whole new type around them.

IMO, it's kinda unnecessary to have any new type. Fairy made sense since the meta game was unbalance in favor of Dragon and Fighting types. Introducing another new type would just complicate things further when it's easier to rebalance the existing type chart.

I disagree

Truth be told I don't think moves like Bug Buzz or Disarming Voice should be retooled if there is a hypothetical Sound type, they are pretty set as is.

But I think moves such as Echoed Voice and Boomburst can be Sound type

Alternatively some moves like Hyper Voice (without penalizing Sylveon or Salamence) can be retooled as dual type attacks akin to Flying Press so that they are both Normal and Sound type

Same for Bu Buzz even, dual Bug and Sound type

I disagree

Truth be told I don't think moves like Bug Buzz or Disarming Voice should be retooled if there is a hypothetical Sound type, they are pretty set as is.

But I think moves such as Echoed Voice and Boomburst can be Sound type

Alternatively some moves like Hyper Voice (without penalizing Sylveon or Salamence) can be retooled as dual type attacks akin to Flying Press so that they are both Normal and Sound type

Same for Bu Buzz even, dual Bug and Sound type

I doubt they'll introduce a new type where they'd have to make of the retypeable moves dual-type. Dual Type moves are probably going to remain a rare gimmick where it's actually just one type and the other type is caused by a secondary effect, like Flying Press.

Also, sound would probably be SE on Ice if they were to follow logic, so I hope it doesn't happen.

Besides, we just got Fairy. I doubt we'll get any other types for a loooooong while. There was 3 gens in between (not including the gens they were introduced in) Dark/Steel and Fairy.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
I'm not sure I understand why "sound" type is a plausible idea. Ever pokemon is capable of creating sounds, I don't think it's something unique enough to warrant it's own typing. Should scent become a type because of canine, ursine and others? We do have sweet scent and odor sleuth.

Sound is just such a general concept, not specific to any one type. It just seems like people are reaching. I never got it since the whole craze with "sound" being the "light" type counterpart.

Bus

I thought it was determined awhile back that Psychic was essentially the 'Light' typing.

I'm not sure I understand why "sound" type is a plausible idea. Ever pokemon is capable of creating sounds, I don't think it's something unique enough to warrant it's own typing. Should scent become a type because of canine, ursine and others? We do have sweet scent and odor sleuth.

Sound is just such a general concept, not specific to any one type. It just seems like people are reaching. I never got it since the whole craze with "sound" being the "light" type counterpart.

I think the whole 'sound' idea came from several attacks (and a pokemon) being Soundwave based. Like Uproar, Boomburst, and Echoed Voice along with (at the time) a brand new dragon pokemon with these huge subwoofer Ears. Fairy had been announced fairly recently at the time and it was thought it would be accompanied by another new type. Since Dark & Steel came at the same time; they thought that Fairy would be paired with another new typing instead of being introduced by itself. Speculation grew and 'Sound' ended up being the most common thought that seemed different from the rest and plausible for its own type.

Now a new generation is on the way and speculation has just risen again in hopes that another new type would be added. personally, I think we sit a pretty good point type wise and Sound was always a stretch. Even 'Ancient' or 'Dinosaur' is a huge stretch and as someone else put it in another thread; allowing fossil like pokemon or an Ancient typing to be caught outside of resurrection methods kind of diminishes the rarity of the pokemon and makes it less unique.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.