• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Last generation we got a dog representative of its regions real-world counterpart with Furfrou. It was a very stereotypical French Poodle with multiple grooming styles.

Is it possible that this new Pokemon is Alola's equivalent of Furfrou?
It could be based off of the Hawaiian Poi Dog (an extinct breed), it looks similar enough in stature and colouration. As for the thing on its neck, I think it could be a Hawaiian flower lay (you know those flower chains people wear at fancy dress parties to look like Hawaiian hula girls?). Perhaps now at the dog-grooming shops for Furfrou you can also get a different kind of flower lay for this new dog. Would give more justification for those buildings to exist other than a simple cosmetic change for one Pokemon.

My guess is that we only got Furfrou since poodles are so stereotypicaly associated with France. As Hawaii doesn't have any mainstream equivalent, it doesn't seem likely to me that that could be used as a hint.

XXD17

Draco rex
Oh right. Forgot about them. :p
Prairie dogs would be nice too.

Pretty sure patrat is based on the white-tailed prairie dog...they do the whole scouting thing and evolve into a larger burrowing rodent...

Last generation we got a dog representative of its regions real-world counterpart with Furfrou. It was a very stereotypical French Poodle with multiple grooming styles.

Is it possible that this new Pokemon is Alola's equivalent of Furfrou?
It could be based off of the Hawaiian Poi Dog (an extinct breed), it looks similar enough in stature and colouration. As for the thing on its neck, I think it could be a Hawaiian flower lay (you know those flower chains people wear at fancy dress parties to look like Hawaiian hula girls?). Perhaps now at the dog-grooming shops for Furfrou you can also get a different kind of flower lay for this new dog. Would give more justification for those buildings to exist other than a simple cosmetic change for one Pokemon.

I was thinking of something similar where maybe it's an exclusive 'mon where instead of different haircuts like fufrou you can equip certain accessories onto this new dog and it will show up in its battle model...you know stuff like dog collars, bow ties, booties...stuff that people normally dress up their dogs in...

Last edited:

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Erron Black

The Outlaw
My guess is that we only got Furfrou since poodles are so stereotypicaly associated with France. As Hawaii doesn't have any mainstream equivalent, it doesn't seem likely to me that that could be used as a hint.

I don't think Poodles are necessarily associated with France, they are popular there, but they're popular worldwide too, but they originated from Germany. It's likely a Poodle fit with the theme of Kalos, which is quite obviously fashion and beauty.

We did get Yorkshire terriers in BW, so it's not entirely impossible that we could get another dog-like Pokemon that fits Alola.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't think Poodles are necessarily associated with France, they are popular there, but they're popular worldwide too, but they originated from Germany. It's likely a Poodle fit with the theme of Kalos, which is quite obviously fashion and beauty.

We did get Yorkshire terriers in BW, so it's not entirely impossible that we could get another dog-like Pokemon that fits Alola.

I don't know, I've always seen them as being heavily associated with France. Regardless, I personally don't think that just because something comes from Hawaii it has a good enough reason to become a Pokemon in the Alola Region. Most Pokemon seem to be created independent of their region.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I don't know, I've always seen them as being heavily associated with France. Regardless, I personally don't think that just because something comes from Hawaii it has a good enough reason to become a Pokemon in the Alola Region. Most Pokemon seem to be created independent of their region.

That's not really true. There are Pokemon in each gen that usually fit the region. Hoenn was a tropical region and it contained lots of Water and Grass types with few Fire and Ice types. It had Pokemon like Pelipper, Tropius, Sharpedo, Wailord, Masquerain, etc... That made it feel even more like a tropical region.

Unova was based on America, and it had american related Pokemon like the Lillipup line(Yorkshire Terrier, popular dog breed), Braviary(Bald Eagle, national bird), and Bouffalant(Buffalo/Bison which are native to North America).

Kalos with 'fashion' and French related Pokemon like Aromatisse(Perfume), Furfrou(Fashion/Hairstyling), and Vivillon(Design/Fashion again).

Lillipup line(Yorkshire Terrier, popular dog breed)

Whilst I do agree with you, I think that's a weeeeeee bit of a stretch there. You could literally justify about, 75% of dog breeds by saying that. I feel like Lillipup is just 'it's there because it's there' Pokemon.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Whilst I do agree with you, I think that's a weeeeeee bit of a stretch there. You could literally justify about, 75% of dog breeds by saying that. I feel like Lillipup is just 'it's there because it's there' Pokemon.

I honestly think it was included because of how popular it is in America as a dog breed. It's not much of a stretch. Also Unova got most of it's inspiration from New York... 'Yorkshire'.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
That's not really true. There are Pokemon in each gen that usually fit the region. Hoenn was a tropical region and it contained lots of Water and Grass types with few Fire and Ice types. It had Pokemon like Pelipper, Tropius, Sharpedo, Wailord, Masquerain, etc... That made it feel even more like a tropical region.(Design/Fashion again).

Hmm, I never saw Hoenn as tropical. Hoenn is based off of Kyushu. South Kyushu is sub tropical at most. But central Kyushu is temperate and the north is cold.

I feel like Tropius, while being a jungle poke. Was put into route 119 because of the constant rainfall. Though apparently Kyushu experiences monsoons in the winter which may explain why it's so rainy.

But Hoenn contains a of of ocean, which is why we get a lot of neat water types. I think because of the whole earth & sea theme, they tried to split it up.

So I think Alola will offer much more tropical pokemon, a nice variety of water pokemon, and some nice fire/rock/ground types near the volcano (there is a volcano, right?)

I don't see there being many ice types besides maybe water/ice types. Though there may be a tall mountain, a faraway cold island or a chilly cave.

Most other types are pretty neutral and can fit in any environment I guess.

Leosnake

So about the as of yet unidentified Pokémon in the Coro coro add that a lot of people seem to think is a type of dog. Has anyone considered that it might be Gamefreak's interpretation of the now extinct Hawaiian Poi Dog? They used to be part of the Pariah Hound family and if you google Pariah Hound and go to Google images. A lot of them have a similar look and colour scheme based on what we glimpse of the new Pokémon in the over world.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
So about the as of yet unidentified Pokémon in the Coro coro add that a lot of people seem to think is a type of dog. Has anyone considered that it might be Gamefreak's interpretation of the now extinct Hawaiian Poi Dog? They used to be part of the Pariah Hound family and if you google Pariah Hound and go to Google images. A lot of them have a similar look and colour scheme based on what we glimpse of the new Pokémon in the over world.

That's an excellent observation. Reading from what Wikipedia has to say about Poi Dogs. They were (sadly) also considered lucky charms. A dark origin for a potential pokemon... but it could it explain the jewel 'Colar' around the unidentified pokemon

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

Damn, you're right.

The Poi Dog especially looks like Much Wow Doge (that's what I'm calling it). The most striking feature is the curling tail.

I want to see a hellhound Pokemon that evolves into an Orthrus (two headed guard dog, Cerberus' bro) based Pokemon, and then into a Cereberus based Pokemon. Maybe a bit too much like Deino -> Zweilous -> Hydreigon and Houndour -> Houndoom though? Especially since it'd most likely be Dark/???, hopefully Ghost.

Aetius

I do hope that in the next CoroCoro issue they will reveal the regional bird (whose concept we've already seen), the regional bug, the regional rodent and the dog puppy.
I don't expect them to be dual typed from the beginning (the regional bird being an exception), so I suppose that at the start of our adventure we will have to count more on Normal and Bug typed Pokèmon.
Of course, the starter will have a permanent slot in my team! :D

Orphalesion

I want to see a hellhound Pokemon that evolves into an Orthrus (two headed guard dog, Cerberus' bro) based Pokemon, and then into a Cereberus based Pokemon. Maybe a bit too much like Deino -> Zweilous -> Hydreigon and Houndour -> Houndoom though? Especially since it'd most likely be Dark/???, hopefully Ghost.

Well they could get creative with the typing. According to some versions Cerberus' fur was made of venomous snakes so he could be Dark/Poison, Ghost/Poison, Dark/Ghost, pur dark, pure ghost, pure poison...A pure poison dog might be interesting!
They could also give him claws/fangs of steel and make him Poison/Steel, the ultimate fairy killer.

On the regional bugs: I'd like one line to evolve into Bug/Dragon and one line to evolve into Bug/Fairy

Ditto24

Im really unsure about how many new pokes we will get coz I dont want to get my hopes up and ultimately be disappointed. But If it is a low number then I hope
they dont make it obvious by cramming in soooo many other pokemon. I may get stick for it but inthe regional dex there is such a thing as too many pokemon

Jackjaw

I'm hoping that with the early bird pokemon we get something that ends up being similar to the Fletchling line in terms of strength and versatility in battle.

As for the early rodent, I'd be thrilled to see something like a capybara. That would be adorable!

Sponge

That's not really true. There are Pokemon in each gen that usually fit the region. Hoenn was a tropical region and it contained lots of Water and Grass types with few Fire and Ice types. It had Pokemon like Pelipper, Tropius, Sharpedo, Wailord, Masquerain, etc... That made it feel even more like a tropical region.

Unova was based on America, and it had american related Pokemon like the Lillipup line(Yorkshire Terrier, popular dog breed), Braviary(Bald Eagle, national bird), and Bouffalant(Buffalo/Bison which are native to North America).

Kalos with 'fashion' and French related Pokemon like Aromatisse(Perfume), Furfrou(Fashion/Hairstyling), and Vivillon(Design/Fashion again).

I would guess that when it comes to creating Pokemon for a region they probably have a theme relating to the region in mind, but at the same time they're not going to reject a good design just because it doesn't fit in with the region. I mean that's probably how we got a luchador bird showing up in France.

I'd imagine that some of the people who design the Pokemon are more interested in designing with the region in mind and then others just do whatever they want. Which I think is a good thing.

Leosnake

That's an excellent observation. Reading from what Wikipedia has to say about Poi Dogs. They were (sadly) also considered lucky charms. A dark origin for a potential pokemon... but it could it explain the jewel 'Colar' around the unidentified pokemon

Damn, you're right.

The Poi Dog especially looks like Much Wow Doge (that's what I'm calling it). The most striking feature is the curling tail.

Right and in fact, as I just noticed Rampharos (who also suggested the Poi dog before me) has also suggested. It could be a good way of Gamefreak giving us a sort of Furfrou mechanic but rather than it being based on grooming. It instead could be linked to the whole Idea them being a good luck charm. So regardless if it is a jewelled collar or a Lei the colour could also represent and therefore have a small, different effect in game. Like a visible amulet coin maybe?

My other reason (and possibly Rampharos' thinking too. I apologize if it is not in the event of you reading this.) Is that almost all of the Pokémon (except the Sun legendary maybe) we have seen so far are either native or can be found in Hawaii.

Litten
: Feral cats are a fairly common thing there as are dogs which could also go towards this unknown Pokémon being a dog as well. Regardless of breed.

Popplio
: Hawaiian Monk Seal is one of only two mammals native to Hawaii (i.e were not introduced or pass through during migration), the other being the Hawaiian Hoary Bat.

Rowlet Pueo Owl. Might be another type of Owl but they are a thing and also important to Hawaiian culture and folklore.

un named Moon legendary: Hawaiian Hoary Bat stylised because it is the Moon legendary.

Unknown bird Pokémon: Some people say it might be a Cardinal, but others say a wood peeker because of the feet and colouration (though it should be noted some Cardinals are also those combined colours). While it may not have the colouration there is a bird known as the Akiapola'au which is similar too and nick named as the Hawaiian woodpecker.

So this combined with how the back end of this yet un revealed Pokémon appears and given the Poi dog's history and relevance to Hawaii. I would be very surprised if this new Pokémon wasn't connected to them in some way.

I mean looking at some of the previous Pokedex entries going dark isn't too much of an issue provided it isn't too obvious to people below a certain age.

Shamboro

Since Alola is a tropical region maybe they will do the same as with Hoenn and have an ice cave/cold area somewhere or maybe do what they did in diamond/pearl with fire pokemon and just not have that many to choose from. I am pretty sure the only fire pokemon you could obtain before national dex in d/p was chimchar as your starter and ponyta. I do hope they have a few ice pokemon tho I personally really didn't enjoy the lack of fire pokemon in d/p.

Status
Not open for further replies.