• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton S

Beware Bewear
I really like that idea. A guinea pig could be really cute, and we haven't really had a "cute" regional rodent since Furret. I could definitely imagine it happening.

It could be a chubby, yet small Pokemon with Thick Fat as a Hidden Ability (or just a regular one).

Tuoko

While there is Stunfisk, the only non-Water-Type fish Pokemon there is, I feel like that was more an experimental gimmick rather than something they should strive to do.

Dragalge is sobbing in a corner.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Dragalge is sobbing in a corner.

I meant Pokemon that are literally fish. Though Dragalge is another example of a purely aquatic Pokemon that is not a Water-Type.

Orphalesion

It's less about where they live and more about their theme. A fish or any other purely aquatic creature will be designed with a water theme in mind. This theme gives way for the type to come into play. .

But that's also not necessary, sure you can make yet another water seas jelly, but if you think about a jelly there are more themes to it than "water" (and we are talking about a creature that IS mostly water), some of them have bright colours, like purple, they look weird and alien, sometimes almost like brains -> psychic theme Their stings burn and some leave marks like burns -> Fire theme. They can seem menacing and sinister _> Dark/Ghost theme.
You don't have to focus on a water theme only because a create comes from the water. Same goes with fish, awautic mammals etc etc...
Why slap the water type on a theoretical pokemon based on one of those giant isopods that live in the depths of the polar seas? Why not make it Ice/Bug instead?

Why make a dolphin yet another bland, bright blue water type, when another, less used type or type combination would fit as well?

Themes are what the designer chooses to focus on, not some universal law.

Tuoko

I meant Pokemon that are literally fish. Though Dragalge is another example of a purely aquatic Pokemon that is not a Water-Type.

They're still fish. Just not the kind you're thinking of.

Though, yeah, I do like the idea of more Pokémon based on fish and other aquatic creatures not having the Water-type.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
But that's also not necessary, sure you can make yet another water seas jelly, but if you think about a jelly there are more themes to it than "water" (and we are talking about a creature that IS mostly water), some of them have bright colours, like purple, they look weird and alien, sometimes almost like brains -> psychic theme Their stings burn and some leave marks like burns -> Fire theme. They can seem menacing and sinister _> Dark/Ghost theme.
You don't have to focus on a water theme only because a create comes from the water. Same goes with fish, awautic mammals etc etc...
Why slap the water type on a theoretical pokemon based on one of those giant isopods that live in the depths of the polar seas? Why not make it Ice/Bug instead?

Why make a dolphin yet another bland, bright blue water type, when another, less used type or type combination would fit as well?

I could see it happening more with things like the stranger and more exotic marine life that you pointed out, but more traditional fish (and similarly formed animals such as dolphins) I really couldn't see being anything but Water-Types with exceptions made for experimental Pokemon. If they wanted to they could make a non-Water-Type dolphin, but I personally don't see it happening anytime soon, nor do I really want it to happen either.

One thing to note is that the most basic definition of the Water-Type is Pokemon who live in/on/near the water. The only real exceptions to that theme is Suicune, Palkia, Keldeo, and Volcannion, all of which are Legendary Pokemon with greater liberties taken with their designs. Saying that a Pokemon that fits that theme should be a different type is like saying a Pokemon that controls electrical energy shouldn't be an Electric-Type.

They're still fish. Just not the kind you're thinking of.

Let me rephrase what I said then, traditionally fish-shaped Pokemon.

Sabonea_Masukippa

I'm hoping for the regional rodent to be a Guinea Pig Pokemon. It seems unique, and I'm fairly sure that we haven't had one yet. Maybe Normal/Fairy for the final evolution?

I like that idea, but given that Hawaii is home to mongoose and they kinda look plain enough to be a normal type early rodent, I'm half expecting one it to be based off of that.

Muddy120

Muddy Warrior
As long as all the Pokemon look continue to look as natural as possible and less like Digimon the new pokes are fine with me. I'm always interested in a wide variety and interesting types and combinations.

Firemaker

Mammoth Master!
I like that idea, but given that Hawaii is home to mongoose and they kinda look plain enough to be a normal type early rodent, I'm half expecting one it to be based off of that.

Like Zangoose?

I'm looking forward to seeing some interesting tropical Pokemon like a hummingbird.

Orphalesion

nor do I really want it to happen either.
Of course you don't want it to happen.

One thing to note is that the most basic definition of the Water-Type is Pokemon who live in/on/near the water. The only real exceptions to that theme is Suicune, Palkia, Keldeo, and Volcannion, all of which are Legendary Pokemon with greater liberties taken with their designs. Saying that a Pokemon that fits that theme should be a different type is like saying a Pokemon that controls electrical energy shouldn't be an Electric-Type.

That comparison makes absolutely zero sense. One is a thing that lives in water, the other is a thing that specifically controls that element. See the difference? Again if we define water pokemon as something that "lives in/on/near water" than everything that lives "in/on/near" the ground should be a Ground type.
And sea horses are fish...as are flounders.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That comparison makes absolutely zero sense. One is a thing that lives in water, the other is a thing that specifically controls that element. See the difference? Again if we define water pokemon as something that "lives in/on/near water" than everything that lives "in/on/near" the ground should be a Ground type.
And sea horses are fish...as are flounders.

But that's not the internal logic of Pokemon. There is a difference between living in and controlling yes, but that's not relevant to how the types seem to be defined. Each type has its own definition, and the best one for Water-Types is simply those who live in water, hence the reason why there are only two Pokemon who are aquatic and not Water-Types. Ground-Types, on the other hand, are normally defined as being those who are composed of earthen materials or those who live underneath the ground.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
This please. I love yokai and especially Ghost types and this sounds like a good Wailord evo or Wailmer branched evo idea.

I like the idea of a ghost/water type whale pokemon in Sun and Moon, but I dunno if I'd necessarily want it to be related to Wailmer's line. I think it could work as a stand-alone species however.

But that's not the internal logic of Pokemon. There is a difference between living in and controlling yes, but that's not relevant to how the types seem to be defined. Each type has its own definition, and the best one for Water-Types is simply those who live in water, hence the reason why there are only two Pokemon who are aquatic and not Water-Types. Ground-Types, on the other hand, are normally defined as being those who are composed of earthen materials or those who live underneath the ground.

Anorith, Lileep, Cradily, Azurill (granted it evolves into a Water-Type), Stunfisk, Croagunk, Toxicroak, Karrablast, Shelmet, Goomy, Sliggoo, Goodra, Grimer, Muk, Koffing and Weezing have all been confirmed to have their lives intertwined with water, but all lack a Water-Typing.

And GameFreak has never put out official definitions of what makes a Pokemon that type. The reason so many aquatic Pokemon are Water-Types is probably due to this:

Step 1: It lives in Water
Step 2: As a Pokemon, it should be able to command (an) element/s in order to live
Step 3: If it lives in Water, then controlling Water makes sense.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer

I agree with you completely, dude, and GameFreak has already shown that they are ok with typing things outside of the box occasionally. The Tynamo line is based off of lamprey/electric eels, aquatic animals yet no Water typing. Skrelp is based on sea dragons, aquatic animals yet it evolves past the Water type. Inkay and Malamar are squid, no Water type. I think it's entirely possible, and more creative, to have a dolphin that isn't water typed, for example.

There seem to be a lot of assumptions about the creative process that produces pokemon. Remember, it's just as easy to say "I want to make an incredibly intelligent Normal/Psychic type, dolphins are smart, I'll use that" as it is to say "I want to make a dolphin pokemon, let me think of themes"

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Anorith, Lileep, Cradily, Azurill (granted it evolves into a Water-Type), Stunfisk, Croagunk, Toxicroak, Karrablast, Shelmet, Goomy, Sliggoo, Goodra, Grimer, Muk, Koffing and Weezing have all been confirmed to have their lives intertwined with water, but all lack a Water-Typing.

What do Koffing and Weezing have to do with water? Anyways, I know that saying "on/in/near" was a nextremely ambiguous definition, but it was used in order to explain why Pokemon such as Peliper or Surskit are Water-Types. Anyways though, all of those Pokemon, save maybe Stunfisk, which I have already cited as an exception rather than a rule, can be taken away from the water with little issues.

And GameFreak has never put out official definitions of what makes a Pokemon that type. The reason so many aquatic Pokemon are Water-Types is probably due to this:

Step 1: It lives in Water
Step 2: As a Pokemon, it should be able to command (an) element/s in order to live
Step 3: If it lives in Water, then controlling Water makes sense.

Yes there is no official word, so all we can do is guess at what the definition is. Your reasoning seems similar enough to mine though, so I don't get the issue.

What do Koffing and Weezing have to do with water? Anyways, I know that saying "on/in/near" was a nextremely ambiguous definition, but it was used in order to explain why Pokemon such as Peliper or Surskit are Water-Types. Anyways though, all of those Pokemon, save maybe Stunfisk, which I have already cited as an exception rather than a rule, can be taken away from the water with little issues.

The thing is is that we've encountered all the Pokemon I've talked about on or near water, which makes it obvious that it's going to be connected to water. Also, the Goomy line evolves with rain and is found in marshes. Stunfisk has been shown living happily in people's houses, so it also can also be taken away from water.

Your reasoning seems similar enough to mine though, so I don't get the issue.

My reasoning is why most aquatic species are Water-Type, not that all aquatic species are Water-Type or Water-Types have to be aquatic.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
My reasoning is why most aquatic species are Water-Type, not that all aquatic species are Water-Type or Water-Types have to be aquatic.

I'm just taking what you said a step further. Since this has been the case at a near universal level, doesn't it stand to reason that the logic of the series dictates that that's the way things should be?

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I like to a zombie like shark pokemon. Water/Ghost or Water/Dark with Cursed Body and Strong Jaws as abilities. Hidden ability could be Water Veil maybe?

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
I like to a zombie like shark pokemon. Water/Ghost or Water/Dark with Cursed Body and Strong Jaws as abilities. Hidden ability could be Water Veil maybe?

I've also always wanted to see something similar to this. I've seen a number of cool ideas for a water/ghost pokemon that use skeletal fish designs and the like. I think there's a lot of cool design potential there.

sheld999

prob a tropical crab pokemon thats cute at 1st but has a badass final evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.