• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Ah, good to know.

Speaking of Grubbin, anyone know what beetle larva it may be based off of?
Hard to say, I don't know of any beetle larva that produce sticky thread or have such large jaws/horns. Grubbin seems to be an amalgam of different insects, with perhaps the jaws being a sign of what sort of beetle it will become. Its main body just seems to be a standard pale-colored beetle grub.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
For me, i feel that Grubbin's evolution would most likely be a 'Bug/Steel'.
The other option i am considering is 'Bug/Ground' and lastly like many others 'Bug/Electric'.

Iwanko's evolution would most likely either stay pure 'Rock' or else it would be 'Rock/Fighting' (mainly because it has 'Vital Spirit' as one of its ability), or else "Rock/Dark".

For the others, i can't really make a guess on them.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Hard to say, I don't know of any beetle larva that produce sticky thread or have such large jaws/horns. Grubbin seems to be an amalgam of different insects, with perhaps the jaws being a sign of what sort of beetle it will become. Its main body just seems to be a standard pale-colored beetle grub.

Some people have speculated that its based on the dobson fly

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/dobsonfly.htm

I'm not sure, I'm hoping for a more beetle like creature for the final form, preferably grounded but I'll be happy with it all.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I like to see a Grass/Ground with Thick Fat as ability. Hidden ability would be Ice Shelter - Ice types moves have no effect. Strong attack, defense and special defense stats.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
The more I look at it, the more I'm beginning to dislike Grubbin. Yungoos is also still not my cup of tea. Nekkoala is also just there.

I only really like the starters, Pikipek and Iwanko and Solgaleo. I hope they don't do a Kalos and introduce just barely 70 critters.

For me, i feel that Grubbin's evolution would most likely be a 'Bug/Steel'.
The other option i am considering is 'Bug/Ground' and lastly like many others 'Bug/Electric'.

Iwanko's evolution would most likely either stay pure 'Rock' or else it would be 'Rock/Fighting' (mainly because it has 'Vital Spirit' as one of its ability), or else "Rock/Dark".

For the others, i can't really make a guess on them.

Vital Spirit does not immediately point towards a Fighting-type. Lillipup also gets Vital Spirit. Vigoroth is a Normal-type and has Vital Spirit. Same with the Electabuzz and Magmar lines and Delibird.

Bug/Ground (it burrows and Ground would allow it to eat electricity without getting shocked) or simply Bug/Electric seem like good choices.

I like to see a Grass/Ground with Thick Fat as ability. Hidden ability would be Ice Shelter - Ice types moves have no effect. Strong attack, defense and special defense stats.

So Mega Torterra with Filter? I don't think there are any abilities that are pure immunities. There's stuff like Lightning Rod and Water Absorb, which grant an immunity and something. Just an immunity seems like a bad choice because an experienced trainer should be able to work around a x4 weakness, or at least spot against which opponent he should't be sent out against.

goodpeople25

Vital Spirit does not immediately point towards a Fighting-type. Lillipup also gets Vital Spirit. Vigoroth is a Normal-type and has Vital Spirit. Same with the Electabuzz and Magmar lines and Delibird.
While I agree that is this case vital spirit dosen't point to fighting at all. (the Lillipup line I think sets more than enough precedent for the ability) But I find it funny that alot of your examples(everybody but delibird and lilipup) is what mostly what connects vital spirit with the fighting type for me in the first place (mankey line i don't think it quite enough). Sure they're not fighting types but I still feel they have a connection to the type.

fhqwhgads

So Mega Torterra with Filter? I don't think there are any abilities that are pure immunities. There's stuff like Lightning Rod and Water Absorb, which grant an immunity and something. Just an immunity seems like a bad choice because an experienced trainer should be able to work around a x4 weakness, or at least spot against which opponent he should't be sent out against.
I mean, Levitate. That's an immunity without even the STAB of the 'adopted' type. Though unless I'm now forgetting something, Heat Rotom is the only Pokemon that hides from a 4x weakness with the Ability, so you could argue the odds of a Grass/Ground immune to Ice from there.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
The only specific Pokemon I really want from this generation is a non-legendary pure Flying type. Maybe some wind/air spirit like creature whose body is made of clouds?

Your idea could be used for a Pokémon based on the Enenra a yokai that is composed of smoke (safe for smoke being replaced by clouds). It could be a bit tricky designing one so it will not end up looking too similar to Yo-kai Watch's Enraenra however, a possible solution could be making it look similar to the Demon from one the Pokestar Studio movies in BW2 instead. Alola also seems like a perfect time to introduce a Pokémon based on a dolphin given the island-like nature of the region.

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Some people have speculated that its based on the dobson fly

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/dobsonfly.htm

I'm not sure, I'm hoping for a more beetle like creature for the final form, preferably grounded but I'll be happy with it all.

Ehh, doesn't seem like it's based on a Dobsonfly. It's larvae are water-bound, so that makes no sense with Grubbin's description of it burrowing underground and loving electricity.

I think it might be a Burying Beetle just based on looks and the fact that it likes to burrow underground.

I'm hoping Grubbin will eventually become Bug/Ground rather than Bug/Electric. We have Joltik and Galvantula already, and only Nincada. I'd be fine with Bug/Electric, but Bug/Ground sounds more appealing to me.

Last edited:

Snoo

Work Hard, Play Hard
I love these three Pokémon very much.

Pikipek: Finally a woodpecker Pokémon. Definitely my favorite design out of the three. Love the fact that it gets Skill Link, it just seems to fit this Pokémon perfectly. From the description of Pikipek, we can assume that this Pokémon will get Bullet Seed, which will work in compatible with Skill Link and help counter it's Rock type weakness. This Pokémon definitely has a spot on my team.

Yungoos: An interesting design. We haven't had a mongoose Pokémon since Generation 3 in Zangoose. From a Competitive Standpoint, this Pokémon has two useful abilities in Stakeout (Reserve Pursuit) and Strong Jaw. From it's description, it's a possibility that we might get another snake Pokémon, similar to Zangoose and Seviper.

Grubbin: A cool design. From the description, we can assume that Grubbin might evolve into an Electric/Bug type. I love how it says "By wrapping tree branches in the sticky threads that it spews from its mouth, Grubbin can swing around like an actor on suspension wires!". It reminds me of a super hero.

:]

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
While I agree that is this case vital spirit dosen't point to fighting at all. (the Lillipup line I think sets more than enough precedent for the ability) But I find it funny that alot of your examples(everybody but delibird and lilipup) is what mostly what connects vital spirit with the fighting type for me in the first place (mankey line i don't think it quite enough). Sure they're not fighting types but I still feel they have a connection to the type.

I suggested Rock/Fighting based on 'Vital Spirit' and a bit of 'Process of Elimination'.

"Locormus", like you said 'Vital Spirit' does necessarily connect to being a Fighting type. But i don't see Iwanko being turned into part Electric or Fire or Normal or Ice. Nor i see that ability being used by any other typing.

But its possible for it to become Rock/Fighting, considering its design.

Hauke_von_Arding

Yungoos: An interesting design. We haven't had a mongoose Pokémon since Generation 3 in Zangoose. From a Competitive Standpoint, this Pokémon has two useful abilities in Stakeout (Reserve Pursuit) and Strong Jaw. From it's description, it's a possibility that we might get another snake Pokémon, similar to Zangoose and Seviper.

I would tend to a rat pokemon, since mungoos were introduced to Hawaii to destroy the rat population and not snakes.

slowkingsley

I just wanna know the English names of Iwanko and Nekoala)..

Any guesses? Blackoala (Neko =Black+koala)? Flippy (Flint and Puppy)?

Nekkoala is most likely made up of Sleep + Koala
Iwanko is most likely made up of Rock + Puppy

I'm terrible at making names but maybe something like Koalaze/Koalazy and Pupebble.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I saw back when they were revealed someone said Narkoala.(Narcotic+Koala) I think that's a very likely English name for Nekkoala.

Iwanko is a tough one. It's hard to really think of a name combining English terms, so I think it might have some Hawaiian in it. There's 'ilio' for dog, and 'pohaku' for rock/pebble.

I suggested Rock/Fighting based on 'Vital Spirit' and a bit of 'Process of Elimination'.

"Locormus", like you said 'Vital Spirit' does necessarily connect to being a Fighting type. But i don't see Iwanko being turned into part Electric or Fire or Normal or Ice. Nor i see that ability being used by any other typing.

Vital Spirit literally means the Pokémon has a... Vital spirit, it doesn't have to determine type or design, it's a personality ability.

slowkingsley

I also looked into the Japanese names of other new pokemon for any hints.

Yungoos' name is basically pronounced the same and is a derivative of the English name or vice-versa (Young + Mongoose).

Grubbin's Japanese name basically means Jaw/Chin + Grub (or soil dwelling insect) so I would probably expect something with a large jaw to be the focus upon evolution, maybe a stag beetle or something similar.

Pikipek's Japanese name seems to be a combination of Peck + Woodpecker. However the first part of the name also could be referencing Cuckoo/Roadrunner, which are birds that also have a similar style of foot to the Woodpecker, so that could be the way the evolution goes. There is also the famous pop culture characters of Woody Woodpecker and The Roadrunner who look similar.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

I just find it weird that you think that ability is limited to just those types. Iwanko being the first Rock-type with said ability means that the process of deduction shouldn't be applied.

It's design doesn't scream Fighting to me at all. And just because Mankey, Primeape and Tyrogue have the same ability means very little. These pokemon have this ability due to their ceaseless amounts of energy. Which dogs are known to have..

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I saw back when they were revealed someone said Narkoala.(Narcotic+Koala) I think that's a very likely English name for Nekkoala.
Given all the negative connotations the word "narcotic" can have, I really doubt they will make that part of the English name.

Seven of Arcanine

RK9 Unit Trainer
Going off of Grubbins description, I wonder if it's based off of Lacewings. Its larval form has those jaws, and they are known to suspend themselves upon strings of silk. Which is how I made this connection, the description reminded me of these super tiny, hanging bugs from the trees at my old high school. Googling them led me to the Lacewings.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Given all the negative connotations the word "narcotic" can have, I really doubt they will make that part of the English name.

It is Narcolepsy that matches with the name and Definite Sleep ability, not Narcotic. Narcolepsy/Narcoleptic and Koala makes Narcoala/Narkoala.

Status
Not open for further replies.