• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreadSkaterxx

Orange Champion
Definitely agree. The only point I can give to Bruxish's design is that it looks visually similar to a trigger fish, which is was likely based off of.

I hadn't considered a Milotic/Gyarados type evolution but I really hope you're right now.

MartiniTheDratini

Speaking of Drampa, why is it that people are saying it evolves from Dunsparce? Aside from the Normal-Type, I see absolutely nothing to connect the two.

Because we're desperate for Dunsparce, that Pokemon that has been neglected since Gen 2, to get some love lol.

Seriously though, while I really want Dunsparce to get an evolution, I highly doubt Drampa is that evolution. Then again, who knows. Game Freak has thrown me for a loop before :D

I love hedgehogs and Togedemaru is the best Pikaclone to date, but I cant stand looking at his tail protruding out of his back!!! It's Maddening!!
Also is anybody gonna point out Tapukoko's, um.....protrusion?

knightwolf09

No! Don't be that parent right now.

xmikeyxlikesitx

Pokémon Coordinator
So Drampa is a Normal/Dragon-Type? That's...odd. I was just the other day explaining why that exact type combination would likely not happen. It seems odd to mix a type that is literally meant to represent something that is normal and not special in any way with the type that is constantly referred to as one of the rarest and most unique types.

I do love leak season. And that, kids, is why you should never speak for anyone but yourself. You don't know at all what GameFreak is going to come up with.

I love hedgehogs and Togedemaru is the best Pikaclone to date, but I cant stand looking at his tail protruding out of his back!!! It's Maddening!!
Also is anybody gonna point out Tapukoko's, um.....protrusion?

It's not really a hedgehog. It's likely based on the Ryukyu spiny rat. That's why it has the tail...

I'm hoping they follow their generation pattern:

Odd Generations have more new Pokémon in their Dex
Even Generations have a lot more older ones in them than not.

Also, Cutiefly is everything. I LOOOOOOVE bee flies!

Last edited by a moderator:
So Drampa is a Normal/Dragon-Type? That's...odd. I was just the other day explaining why that exact type combination would likely not happen. It seems odd to mix a type that is literally meant to represent something that is normal and not special in any way with the type that is constantly referred to as one of the rarest and most unique types.

Speaking of Drampa, why is it that people are saying it evolves from Dunsparce? Aside from the Normal-Type, I see absolutely nothing to connect the two.

Yeah the whole rare unique thing just went to scrap after GameFreak dropped the necessary nerf hammer, now it's more along the lines of Ice and Ghost in that it's rare, but still no better than other types. Or, supposed to be, anyway.

Really hoping now that Pikipek and Yungoos change and gain a type respectively, we've already got two crosses ln the 'unique regional Pokémon bingo' with Electric regional Bug and Steel Pikaclone.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I do love leak season. And that, kids, is why you should never speak for anyone but yourself. You don't know at all what GameFreak is going to come up with.

To be fair, I did say it was unlikely, not an impossibility. I still think I was justified saying that, regardless of what happened.

Though I do have to say, I'll never understand combo-types that have Normal as one of them. Normal/Flying is one thing, but things like Electric/Normal, Fire/Normal, and now Dragon/Normal don't make much sense to me. The point of the Normal-Type is that they are average with no specialization, but having another type infers they do have a specialization. It's just weird and contradictory to me.

Yeah the whole rare unique thing just went to scrap after GameFreak dropped the necessary nerf hammer, now it's more along the lines of Ice and Ghost in that it's rare, but still no better than other types. Or, supposed to be, anyway.

I don't know if I would say that. It's the lore of the type that has been built up over the past 20 years mostly independent of how powerful the type is that I was referring to.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Haven't had time to check back through the comments so not sure about people's opinions, but for the first time for a pokemon reveal I'm a bit like, meh. The hedgehog pikaclone looks the best out of the bunch for me, but I dunno why, I feel like they don't have much character to me.

But hey, I don't want to be accused as a genwunner, because I love lots of designs each generation, and also not a huge fan of a lot of them each gen. So I'm not slating this generation, I just hoping these ones are the ones that I won't be fussed on, and we'll be getting some more cool and interesting pokemon in the next reveals like the previous reveals this generation.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
They're amazing holy crap. The Pikachu clone rub me the wrong way, and I'm not sure how i feel about the car... thing, but 5 out of 7 I love.

YES EVEN THE FISH. ITS HILARIOUS. I'M SORRY, BUT IM NOT SORRY. LOL

grandpadragonismine.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Drampa is the first one released that looks like it evolves FROM something. Much like Darmanitan and Gogoat.

shadowF

Do you guys think Drampa is a pseudo legendary?

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I left the forums a couple months ago because I get pretty annoyed by comments a lot but I felt very compelled to log in just to say this one thing: Drampa is the worst thing I know of. I hate literally everything I know about it. Its design, color pallette, aesthetic inspiration, name, typing, all of it. My least favorite Pokémon until today was probably Amoonguss or the Kami trio, but even then I just wasn't a fan of some stuff. Drampa is BY FAR my least favorite Pokémon.

The rest are okay. Vikavolt is tight.

Alright, bye.

Drampa is the first one released that looks like it evolves FROM something. Much like Darmanitan and Gogoat.

I agree. Drampa looks like a final stage or a standalone, I can't imagine it evolving further.

I can maybe see Bruxish being evolved as well. But it being a basic stage or a standalone wouldn't surprise me either.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Though I do have to say, I'll never understand combo-types that have Normal as one of them. Normal/Flying is one thing, but things like Electric/Normal, Fire/Normal, and now Dragon/Normal don't make much sense to me. The point of the Normal-Type is that they are average with no specialization, but having another type infers they do have a specialization. It's just weird and contradictory to me.
I don't know about lore wise, but normal types are known for wide ranging movepools (usually they can't make use of but smh) along with the ability to change type being most commonly associated with normals. (Kecleon, Arceus, Castform, etc.)

I think it kind of makes sense for a design perspective. Drampa is...Derpy looking. He's special, but he doesn't look intimidating in the least, probably isn't. I think they were going for a more derpy, relatable dragon type that breaks the mold and is different from the rest of the dragons by being...silly looking.

Honestly my first thought looking at him was he was like a Goofy as a dragon. LOL

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Has anyone else already mentioned the likelihood of all Drampa being nicknamed Falcor?

Drampa is interesting. It's a really unexpected design but clearly has particular cultural influences in it's appearance. I don't think anyone has ever expected to see an official Normal /Dragon type. Overall it may be odd but I like it. Will have to get more info before I can vouch for it competitively.

It seems like this generation has already been kind to Electric and Bug types. Which is good to see.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I agree. Drampa looks like a final stage or a standalone, I can't imagine it evolving further.

I can maybe see Bruxish being evolved as well. But it being a basic stage or a standalone wouldn't surprise me either.

I can see Bruxish as the Magikarp/Feebas of the generation. Based on its type and ugly appearance, I can see it evolving into a beautiful dolphin. Or maybe I'm reaching because we need a dolphin.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
It's pretty cool that Drampa COULD evolve from something - the one in the trailer is at level 44, which is about an average Dragon-evo level.

I do hope it evolves from something incredibly boring.

As for the Normal typing, it's because they don't have an advantage nor a disadvantage over anything. Drampa, Pyroar, Girafarig, Bibarel, etc are all absolutely immune to Ghost-types, which is pretty bangin' considering how annoying a lot of Ghost moves are. They all also have the ability to learn a few more varied moves than what a monotype can, plus STAB for normal moves.
It's not that Normal types are plain, they're just the "miscellaneous" section.

piemaster924000

Finals make me cry
I can see Bruxish as the Magikarp/Feebas of the generation. Based on its type and ugly appearance, I can see it evolving into a beautiful dolphin. Or maybe I'm reaching because we need a dolphin.
Oh, I never thought of Bruxish evolving into a dolphin. I was thinking more of a sea serpent but a dolphin would make a beautiful evolution for it considering the beautiful colors it has and psychic abilities.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Drampa is cool and Normal/Dragon is a cool type combo. Judging by the ability, it either increases it special attack when hit by Dragon moves (or any super effective hit) or when it has low HP. Tapu Koko has a great design and ability. The type combo Electric/Fairy is cool too due to being weak to only Poison and Ground. Bug/Electric is a nice change from the standard Bug/Flying that we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.