• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Togedamaru is the type of Pokemon that "gotta go fast".
It's not weak to Water, but that was a misunderstanding from the beginning.

Komala's blurb is disturbing. Seriously, koala drool is germ ridden if fecal germs in order to handle the toxins in Eucalyptus leaves.

Also, on the Japanese site, Tapu Koko is given its own classification on the site apart from Legendary or Mythical Pokemon, but that is probably to conceal some of its secrets.

Actually, I think it may be a cross between both a hedgehog and the spiny rat, the main reason being that Yungoos, like their real world counterpart, were introduced to Alola (Hawaii) to deal with an outburst of rat Pokémon.

That would be - you guessed it - Togedemaru. That's my two pence on it at this point, anyways.

Nothing else about it resembles a mouse more than a hedgehog. But pokemon do often tend to be a mix of different animals. And seeing as it is a small mammal. I suppose it could be mistaken for a mouse.
This.

It seems like fans often get into this very...singular mindset during these discussions, trying to "prove" that Pokémon X is based on A and definitely NOT B, when surely most Pokémon take inspiration from multiple sources (both real-world animals and mythological creatures.)

I feel like that's a huge part of what makes them so interesting and endearing, that they're generally not JUST a stylized cat or dog or hedgehog or whatever.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Actually, I think it may be a cross between both a hedgehog and the spiny rat, the main reason being that Yungoos, like their real world counterpart, were introduced to Alola (Hawaii) to deal with an outburst of rat Pokémon.

That would be - you guessed it - Togedemaru. That's my two pence on it at this point, anyways.

That is of course assuming that Togedemaru is that pokemon.

And even if it is, it still resembles a hedgehog more. But it's the pokemon world, so it can be called a "rat pokemon". Pikachu is considered a mouse while it resembles a rabbit more. Pokemon are not animal though, so it's not terribly important I guess.

That is of course assuming that Togedemaru is that pokemon.

And even if it is, it still resembles a hedgehog more. But it's the pokemon world, so it can be called a "rat pokemon". Pikachu is considered a mouse while it resembles a rabbit more. Pokemon are not animal though, so it's not terribly important I guess.

Yes, that would be making that assumption, but I don't know if they'll want to introduce two Pokémon who have fairly similar inspirations in the same generation (as I mentioned, it's likely a combination of the two animals). Then again, I don't at all understand the importance of knowing what it's based on at this point - we'll find out in due time.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
Yes, that would be making that assumption, but I don't know if they'll want to introduce two Pokémon who have fairly similar inspirations in the same generation (as I mentioned, it's likely a combination of the two animals). Then again, I don't at all understand the importance of knowing what it's based on at this point - we'll find out in due time.

Yeah, I guess it's silly to argue about these things. I'm just passionate about this sort of thing as I have been studying animals nearly my entire life, and would like to think I know a thing or two about a thing or two (a maximum of four things).

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
3 things to say:

1) I think it's kind of obvious Tepu Koko has other similar siblings in the other islands. I doubt the other islands don't have their own guardian deities.

2) Togedemaru? Man, they want to keep the weird Pikachu names international.

3) I will ship Lucario with Cutiefly.

phanpycross

God-king
So first the main Male character has a design that looks like popplio, and now the regional bug perfectly covers it's weaknesses...

"be careful who you call ugly in middle-school."

Shraeder

It's Lit

It would make sense why Yungoos has strong jaw too since it would need to break through that steel shell.

Nunn

Pokermanz Meister!
1) I think it's kind of obvious Tepu Koko has other similar siblings in the other islands. I doubt the other islands don't have their own guardian deities.

It was stated during the E3 game-play that all 4 islands do indeed have a guardian pokemon.

Last edited:

DSDark

Breeder
3 things to say:

2) Togedemaru? Man, they want to keep the weird Pikachu names international.

3) I will ship Lucario with Cutiefly.

They can both sense aura. Get togekiss in there too and it's just awesome

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I find this very unlikely, but I'd love if the pseudo-legend this gen ended up being Cutiefly's final evo. It'd be a nice change of events to have a more majestic looking pseudo than our typical powerful looking ones.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It certainly took them long enough to release Iwanko's english name....

I find this very unlikely, but I'd love if the pseudo-legend this gen ended up being Cutiefly's final evo. It'd be a nice change of events to have a more majestic looking pseudo than our typical powerful looking ones.

I'd rather we have multiple pseudos then like Salamence and Metagross were Hoenn's.
The regional Dragon has to stay the Pseudo, that's been the pattern since forever. Without Johto counting as it didn't add any new Dragons except for an evolution for Seadra.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
It certainly took them long enough to release Iwanko's english name....

I'd rather we have multiple pseudos then like Salamence and Metagross were Hoenn's.
The regional Dragon has to stay the Pseudo, that's been the pattern since forever. Without Johto counting as it didn't add any new Dragons except for an evolution for Seadra.
Well, the more the merrier.

Maybe the other pseudo could be a Bug/Dragon dragonfly to have a sort of rivalry between the two.

Skyknight

Is it me, or was Bruxish likely designed specifically to put a leash on Talonflame? (Water type: Flare Blitz isn't going to be too effective. Dazzling: Gale Wings Brave Bird just isn't happening.) Although I have a feeling GameFreak didn't want to break the priority portion of the game too much, which is why Bruxish (and its line, if any) is apparently the only one(s) to get Dazzling. It's not as though Aqua Jet, Bullet Punch, and Mach Punch could do much to a Water/Psychic in the first place...(Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch, yes.)

I hope the pseudo(s) aren't/isn't Dragon-Type, a change would be nice. Also, since Dragon has been through the Righteous Nerf of 2013, it may be time to step them down as the pseudo species.

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Well, the more the merrier.

Maybe the other pseudo could be a Bug/Dragon dragonfly to have a sort of rivalry between the two.

I hope for a Poison pseudo actually. Maybe Poison/Fairy, or Poison/Dark, the other pseudo being a Dragon pseudo.

Also I still don't understand what Vikavolt's animalian basis is. Is it a horned beetle or something along those lines?

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Stag Beetle, which is its Species Name, too.

Thought so.
I think this makes me like Bugs of the franchise even more. Grubbin's evolution line seems much more interesting in design, albeit I would say a bit sudden in terms of its color scheme change. I like that, reminds me of Caterpie and Weedle; I'd never really see it coming with Butterfree and Beedrill respectively. Venipede, Sewaddle, and Scatterbug's three stage bug lines were consistent in their designs, and although I like Venipede's line, they felt kind of boring.
I really hope they don't sell Cutiefly's evolution line short. I want something absolutely fabulous, GameFreak!

diakyu

Why are they so adamant to not show Rockruff and Komala in-game?

Status
Not open for further replies.