• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gliscor&yanmega

I'm curious how the stats for the Alolan Pokemon will be like. Mainly if they will still have the same bst or will they have more. But also curious how different the stats individually will be. Like will Alolan Sandslash have more Attack and Defense than regular Sandslash, or Alolan Ninetales has more Special Attack.

Thepowaofhax

If we do get Delta Species pokemon, a Fire Horsea line would be awesome.
The Alolan Forms are already delta species-like, so it's very likely we could get a Fire Horsea, maybe at the Volcano area. We could see it swimming in the lava, for example.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I'm in love with this concept.

The very idea of climate based subspecies, that Pokemon will 'evolve' in different ways based on their environment, makes the world feel much more alive and realistic. Pokemon don't have to be confined to a single Region or Generation as their 'native' land anymore. There's so much potential too; you could practically remake every Regional PokeDex with this idea. Expanding on them all in new ways. I hope this becomes a mainstay.
On the other hand it may work better for Alola due to how they are isolated islands. Basically if a habitat got too crowded (like it did for Vulpix) or got too dangerous to live in (for Sandshrew), they didn't have the option of finding another area that is their regular habitat the way they would have in previous regions, so they had to move to a new habitat and adapt instead.

So basically it seems like unless they have to change a pokemon will try to live in its preferred habitat regardless of region.

Exeggutor may be a inversion of though, with Alola hinted at being Exeggutor's native region (i.e. a pokedex entry saying they come from the tropics, and native Alolans boasting their form of Exeggutor is the "true" Exeggutor), and the Exeggutor we've known before now is the one that developed due to the climate in other regions not being ideal for it.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
So, with the new Alola forms, can we expect this one as something possibly?

[IMG139]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/e/ef/Crystal_Onix.png/250px-Crystal_Onix.png[/IMG139]

Digitalkaiser65

Dark Master
Alternate forms really addresses some key issues in pokemon as well;

Not only does it open this technology up to future generations but the biggest problem it solves is the ever expanding pokedex, which continuously seems to divide and alienate and confuse fans or new players with its large number. With regional pokemon going forward, you could effectively limit the amount of new pokemon much better, while still giving fans something new to work for. You could effectively redesign the entire dex in this way, through many generations. I feel like they have the techology now to make breeding/forms more dynamic. They must have reworked the breeding system to accomodate for these forms, as now the game saves what region a pokemon is from to preserve it. This is also hinted at by the possible removal of incense items in the game. (that last part is a speculated leak)

I think mega evolutions (maybe z-attacks) and alt forms will be a staple in the series going forward, giving old pokemon new lease on life.

Gizmoa

On the other hand it may work better for Alola due to how they are isolated islands. Basically if a habitat got too crowded (like it did for Vulpix) or got too dangerous to live in (for Sandshrew), they didn't have the option of finding another area that is their regular habitat the way they would have in previous regions, so they had to move to a new habitat and adapt instead.

So basically it seems like unless they have to change a pokemon will try to live in its preferred habitat regardless of region.

Exeggutor may be a inversion of though, with Alola hinted at being Exeggutor's native region (i.e. a pokedex entry saying they come from the tropics, and native Alolans boasting their form of Exeggutor is the "true" Exeggutor), and the Exeggutor we've known before now is the one that developed due to the climate in other regions not being ideal for it.

This may also reference the fact that at one point the designer wanted Exeggutor to be dragon/grass, but they decided that dragon would be limited to just the one special line of end game pokemon and changed it to psychic which was also epic, but more accessible throughout the game. (I recall reading this somewhere years ago)

Last edited:

Sprinter1988

It would make sense for it to be able to get moves like Flamethrower if it breeds with a normal Vulpix/Ninetales, seeing as it is a subspecies and could be an evolutionary fragment in the Alolan Ninetales's DNA.

Ah, but who is to say that the Vulpix and Ninetales that we all know is the way they originally looked either? Perhaps they were once normal type pokemon and over time they began to develop into different forms with different types. That way while the fire Vulpix we all know became the dominant form elsewhere, the ice type developed independently from the original pokemon in Alola? That's how actual evolution works - the ice Vulpix would not be descended from the fire Vulpix, but would be a sister species.
If you look at the tigers that are alive today, three examples are the Bengal Tiger, which is pretty large and adapted to temperate and tropical forests of India, the Siberian Tiger is larger still and has longer fur, making it adapted to the cold weather of Siberia, while the Sumatran tiger is the smallest one, an adaptation to living on an island. But none of these animals are descended from the other - they all have a common ancestor that lived in all three places and slowly adapted to better suit those places.

For this reason, there may be no reason for the Ice Vulpix to have access to Flamethrower, unless, as you say, it is done through breeding. But then again, look at Eevee. Glaceon doesn't get Flamethrower, even if its raised by an Eevee hatched from an egg produced by a Flareon.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master

[IMG139]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/e/ef/Crystal_Onix.png/250px-Crystal_Onix.png[/IMG139]

I would be entirely okay with the "crystal Onix" being apart of Alola. I would catch one.

Captain America X

Mostly Gen 1 getting new models again, then some extremely popular other gen pokemon maybe. Then they drop it again like the super sayan mega-evolutions, which i'm also not a fan off. I want them to change the game play a lot, don't mind that, but not this alternative forms for old pokemon.

And who says they are dropping mega evos?Just because they haven't revealed them yet mostly due to new features and pokemon that does not mean they have have up on the concept.That itself would be dumb since they have never dropped something this competitive before.

How else do you change gameplay other than adding new forms too new pokemon that is similar to the way real life animals have different appearence based on location?

New evos could create more OP pokemon due to huge stat boost or eviolite.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

Maybe, but what type would it be? Rock/Fairy?

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
what if I breed a normal Vulpix with an Alola one? Dose it breed both types randomly? or only the females? I'm assuming they'll have the same egg groups / egg moves.

clbgolden12

what if I breed a normal Vulpix with an Alola one? Dose it breed both types randomly? or only the females? I'm assuming they'll have the same egg groups / egg moves.
I'm guessing it depends on the female.

gliscor&yanmega

We'll have to wait and see how breeding works for them.

Could be random, could be based on one of the parents, could even be incapable of breeding with one another.

Thepowaofhax

snip for convenience
Actually, according to the Pokemon website, it is an introduced species. It is likely this Vulpix evolved from the dominant Fire-type Vulpix seeing as it was brought in by the original Alolans.

Orphalesion

*facepalm* *headdesk* *headesks* *headdesk*

Alolan Forms...really? Really GF? You have to keep shoving the Kanto mons down our throat, possibly at the expense of actual new pokemon?

I mean I won't complain too much about an Ice/Fairy variation of Ninetales and to some extend I can see the merit of pokemon having "sub-species" or whatever, but please don't produce them at the cost of potential new pokemon, not all of us are Genwunners (not that Genwunners are the only people who could like them, like I said I'd love a Ice/Fairy Ninetales)

Gizmoa

Ah, but who is to say that the Vulpix and Ninetales that we all know is the way they originally looked either? Perhaps they were once normal type pokemon and over time they began to develop into different forms with different types. That way while the fire Vulpix we all know became the dominant form elsewhere, the ice type developed independently from the original pokemon in Alola? That's how actual evolution works - the ice Vulpix would not be descended from the fire Vulpix, but would be a sister species.
If you look at the tigers that are alive today, three examples are the Bengal Tiger, which is pretty large and adapted to temperate and tropical forests of India, the Siberian Tiger is larger still and has longer fur, making it adapted to the cold weather of Siberia, while the Sumatran tiger is the smallest one, an adaptation to living on an island. But none of these animals are descended from the other - they all have a common ancestor that lived in all three places and slowly adapted to better suit those places.

For this reason, there may be no reason for the Ice Vulpix to have access to Flamethrower, unless, as you say, it is done through breeding. But then again, look at Eevee. Glaceon doesn't get Flamethrower, even if its raised by an Eevee hatched from an egg produced by a Flareon.

Very true, though it can go both ways when you get into subspecies since they can form much more rapidly and are more a product of sudden isolation and the founder effect along with very harsh natural selection. Dog breeds, though from human selection, are examples of extreme form variations produced by recent isolation. The white piebald deer found in some fenced in areas are an example of a form change so recent that the founding form is still extant right outside the borders of the fence. These are not classed as different species, but variants. So both closely related species (whose shared ancestor is now gone, but was different from both), breeds, varieties and subspecies can be sources of inspiration for the new forms.

I am really curious how breeding will work, since if these are the same species, and the babies can learn the attacks of the adults then they may or may not have cross inheritance, but I would expect yes to be the case (unless the idea is it becomes no because the form for the region can never learn those moves and the babies always come out the region form)... though if the form is locked by where they are born and we can cross breed traits, that would mean we will only be able to breed one direction for now (and I guess the other when the remake comes out).

Regardless, I think this may in part be why we now have the feature that let's us see type match ups directly in battle.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

*facepalm* *headdesk* *headesks* *headdesk*

Alolan Forms...really? Really GF? You have to keep shoving the Kanto mons down our throat, possibly at the expense of actual new pokemon?

I mean I won't complain too much about an Ice/Fairy variation of Ninetales and to some extend I can see the merit of pokemon having "sub-species" or whatever, but please don't produce them at the cost of potential new pokemon, not all of us are Genwunners (not that Genwunners are the only people who could like them, like I said I'd love a Ice/Fairy Ninetales)
I doubt they'll take time away from making new Pokémon. It's basically just the same Pokémon with a different coloration and type, which shouldn't take too long to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.