• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECM

Sandslash's name is Sandpan, and Sandshrew's is, literally, Sand.

Sky's the limit for Alola forms now.

Bahaha! That's awesome! Well I guess it doesn't matter then. I personally don't get too hung up on the names anyway. Although Fighting type Abra, Kadabra and Alakazam would be insane, lol.

PokeAJ

I would actually like the idea of regional forms being region exclusive and applied to other regions in the future (so Sinnoh gets regional exclusive forms in the D/P remakes for example). Would make for something truly unique about each region's Pokemon.

Dukkee

So this same leek from what I understand that the final evos are linked to had other info as well. Some of that info stated that among other forms there would be a Water Growlithe and Arcanine. But it also states that you will have to transfer Pokemon that have new forms over from previous games to get the old ones right? But if that is the case then why in an earlier trailer was the original Arcanine used? Poke Bank? If so why did it look like a wild encounter? (I think Rockruff was the one that was fighting against it).

I mean I know in the Japanese trailer that a regular Exeggcute was shown evolving into the new Alolan Exeggutor. But lets be honest it was still a Grass type into a Grass/ Dragon type (Dragon palm). While we haven't seen Growlithe yet why make it water only to evolve back into it's regular fire Arcanine form if this bit of it turns out to be true?

The Chinese trailer is the one you're thinking about. It's definitely a wild encounter, as well.

Dukkee

Speaking of base stats, do we know what will happen to the stats of the Alola forms? Sandslash, for example, already has a decent attack and defense. I could see them boosting its defense even more or boosting its special defense, or leaving it exactly as it is to be preyed upon by all fire, fighting, and ground types.

I'm assuming from Alolan Sandshew/Sandslash being described as slower than their ground type relatives that the stats will be different.

ECM

I just realized how freaking terrifying Alolan Exeggutor is...35'?! And still sporting the deranged expressions of the original? Now imagine that appearing out of the jungle.

It will be interesting to see if this stays a thing exclusive to Alola or if we get more regional forms. Forms "restoring" the original typing though... idk would they still change up the design? Because if not it'd be kinda boring to me. Just making them look closer to their original spirtes again(for the Kanto mons)? That might be too subtle in most cases. How would you take the fairy out of "Preservation Clefairy" to make it normal type again? Remove the little wings and make it beige? And a pure electric Magneto/Magneton could look similar to how some Chemistry books display atoms with blue and red spheres revolving around the central core(s).
A pure psychic Mr.Mime form might actually be cool, less "cutesy clown puppet" and more "sinister harlequin marionette"

I was thinking more along the lines of keeping the same look but having the original typing. Calling them something different than Alolan Pokémon would make it make sense. But you're right, a design change for a pure Psychic Mr. Mime would be pretty cool. It was just food for thought.

Dukkee

Has anyone brought up the poke-ride thing looking a lot like HMs might go away? I've been waiting for this since I first realized how bad cut was in battle. ^_^;; Only 20 years...

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I wonder if an older pokemon becomes part Fire if they are living in a volcanic area? That be neat since Sandshew line and Vulpix line seem to live in a cold area.

gliscor&yanmega

By the way, am I the only one wondering if the introduction of megas and all these new forms is a tactic they're using to eventually stop making new Pokemon? Maybe they know they want to quit at 1000 or something. Perhaps by gen 10 we'll just be getting region specific forms or something. Just a thought.
I assumed it was the case with Megas and with variations it seems even more so now to me. But I wouldn't say it's because they themselves are planning to stop but more that they probably feel it's better to not increase the numbers too much because it does drive people away, being in four digits is new terriorty, and they probably are in no rush to get there.
Megas, variations, and even formes acts as ways to give more new Pokemon without actually increasing the numbers.

That being said, I still expect about 70-80 new Pokemon and then 50 Megas and variations combined in Gen 7 overall. Giving us about 120-130.

League

Master Abra Catcher
So it's not received a lot of mention, but, if you think about it, does the current Exeggutor have access to Dragon moves? The new regional pokemon forms are going to have vastly different TM pools, as Ice Kumiho necessitates.

Also, it'd be neat if the new Exeggutor form mega-evolved into a similar form but with three necks, one for each head. That'd be pure awesomesauce.

Last edited:

Super Nerd 7997

Crazy Plant Guy
The prevailing theory is that it is a reference to dragonfruit, which has recently started to be cultivated in Hawaii, just like the purple mangosteen that Bounsweet is based off of. As for the Evolution thing, Exeggutor already has a Base Stat Total of 520. Giving it this new form and simply redistributing its Stats is probably the better call.

But the fruit on its tail doesn't look at all like a dragonfruit, not to mention they grow on a tropical cactus vine, not a palm tree (I should know, I'm growing some from seed myself)

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
I'm assuming from Alolan Sandshew/Sandslash being described as slower than their ground type relatives that the stats will be different.

Thank you! May I ask where you got this information? I must have missed it if it was in the trailer.

Thepowaofhax

So it's not received a lot of mention, but, if you think about it, does the current Exeggutor have access to Dragon moves? The new regional pokemon forms are going to have vastly different TM pools, as Ice Kumiho necessitates.
From what it seems, it doesn't get any Dragon-type moves in Gen 1-6. I'm pretty sure this Exeggutor is likely to be a more physically based Exeguttor, though.

But the fruit on its tail doesn't look at all like a dragonfruit, not to mention they grow on a tropical cactus vine, not a palm tree (I should know, I'm growing some from seed myself)

I agree, I don't see any similarities between Alolan Exeggutor and dragonfruits.
If there is a pun involved I think a dragon tree is more likely, the Madagascar Dragon Tree in particular is somewhat similar to Alolan Exeggutor.

WolfCypher

It is a tad strange to see so many ice Alola forms though when the region is based on Hawaii lol.

I never felt like they put too much thought or lose too much sleep on making the Pokémon of any given region based on animals (or things) native to that real-life location. I mean sure, we got trash Pokémon and a American Eagle for New York-inspired Unova, a french poodle Pokémon for France-inspired Kalos, and tropical based plants and animals up the ying-yang for the tropical Hawaii-Alola, but we still got a lot of unrelated-to-their-real-world-habitat animal-based Pokémon for all the games (a lot of non-Japanese themes-turned-Pokémon in the Japanese-based Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh...) which I appreciate, because I don't want to have to wait for GF to eventually, maybe, maybe never, give us an Australian region for a koala or a kangaroo or Tasmanian devil...we could easily (and have in some cases) get these just whenever GF has an idea they deem worth premiering in whichever region we're dealing with.

I'm glad we got a panda, finally, but panda's have eff-all to do with France, yet Pangoro = Kalos. So what I'm saying is...it doesn't register to me personally as weird to have Ice Pokémon or even a icy area or winter climate in this tropical Hawaii-inspired Pokémon region, cause it has always felt like GF just includes the bare minimum of accuracies to these regions to get the point across that "hey, this region is New York, or France, cause of these three to five instances...now, here's a Legendary based on Asian Mythology, or a random dessert right outside the NYC-esque city!" The effort to get the Hawaii-ness feel across here in Sun/Moon, though, is much better than their previous attempts at tying their location themes to the games, but I'm still expecting anything from an African Elephant to Egyptian themed Pokémon to show up in Alola.

tl:dr: nah, Ice Pokémon in Poké-Hawaii is no weirder than Aussie Koala in the wilds of Poké-Hawaii or Asian-Panda in Poké-France.

Orphalesion

But you're right, a design change for a pure Psychic Mr. Mime would be pretty cool. It was just food for thought.

It's alright and I just provided additional food for thought, bouncing around ideas is fun :) I'd definitely love to see a pure Psychic Mr.Mime variation that is more in line with the early, somewhat sinister psychic types. I'd also love to see a pure Electric Magneton composed of atoms. It's just the Clefariy and Jigglypuff lines I can't come up with anything good for. The only thing that comes to my mind would be making them brown and furrier. Which makes Preservation Form Clefable kinda sound like Domo...

I assumed it was the case with Megas and with variations it seems even more so now to me. But I wouldn't say it's because they themselves are planning to stop but more that they probably feel it's better to not increase the numbers too much because it does drive people away, being in four digits is new terriorty, and they probably are in no rush to get there.
Megas, variations, and even formes acts as ways to give more new Pokemon without actually increasing the numbers.

That being said, I still expect about 70-80 new Pokemon and then 50 Megas and variations combined in Gen 7 overall. Giving us about 120-130.

Never got the "too many pokemon" idea. How is a large selection to choose from bad? New Pokemon are always the best part of a new generation for me.

I suppose it gets harder to complete the pokedex but personally I haven't done that in years, so it really doesn't effect me, I suppose.

Last edited:

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I'm super curious about Alola Ninetales and Alola Sandslash's Hidden Abilities.

They can't exactly get Drought and Sand Rush after all.

gliscor&yanmega

Never got the "too many pokemon" idea. How is a large selection to choose from bad? New Pokemon are always the best part of a new generation for me.

I suppose it gets harder to complete the pokedex but personally I haven't done that in years, so it really doesn't effect me, I suppose.

By no means is a large selection bad, I'm all for unlimted Pokemon. But it will get to the point where more and more people go "Ok too much", it's been happening for a while already. And I have seen a bit of people saying 1000 is thier limit. I'm sure Pokemon could still make new Pokemon even at that point but it probably will start a bit of worrying since it's another digit added.

It'll take a while to see how it all goes though. We probably will be at the 800 mark this gen, so if they do around 100 each Gen after we'd be at around 1000 at Gen 9, which is likely around 6 years from now. If they do about 70 each Gen then it'll be Gen 10 and 9 years. So a bit away from seeing how people would react, I'm sure they could still get at least two more Gens at that point unless they do something different, which at this point I'd say can be expected.

Nonetheless, the more the better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.