• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grenijaed

People that think Having more Ice types in a Hawaii region strange should google Mauna Kea. A huge snowy mountain on one of the islands in real life that you can even ski on.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I agree, I don't see any similarities between Alolan Exeggutor and dragonfruits.
If there is a pun involved I think a dragon tree is more likely, the Madagascar Dragon Tree in particular is somewhat similar to Alolan Exeggutor.

Good to know. Thanks for the clarification :)

From what it seems, it doesn't get any Dragon-type moves in Gen 1-6. I'm pretty sure this Exeggutor is likely to be a more physically based Exeguttor, though.

Alolan Exeggutor is seen using Dragon Rush, but yes, it didn't get any Dragon Moves previously. I'm hoping for more Attack and Speed, and drawing focus away from Sp. Attack, as to differentiate it from its international counterpart.

Also, I'm super psyched that it looks like the Starter Evos are real. I love them all, even Liften, who I'm sure will be Fire/Dark, don't y'all worry.

Daisukereds

Exeggutor is based off the Dragon Palm tree (Dracaena marginata) that tourists are obsessed with.. or so I've heard. Mostly because they are large and bend and twist, like.. you guessed it! A dragon.

Last edited:

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
I'm super curious about Alola Ninetales and Alola Sandslash's Hidden Abilities.

They can't exactly get Drought and Sand Rush after all.

If I had to guess(at least for Ninetales) I would say it would get Snow warning.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
It is a tad strange to see so many ice Alola forms though when the region is based on Hawaii lol.

Each pokemon fled to where they would have the least worry.

Since both Ninetales and Sandslash are unaffected by ice and rock, they fled up to the mountains. I think this is how it's going to be for a lot of them.

Daisukereds

I wonder, if Oricoro copies all dance moves.. what will happen with Rain Dance? Will it attack twice with Petal Dance (not that anyone uses it)? Hit itself in confusion, twice, by using Teeter Dance automatically? Kill itself with Lunar Dance? haha, such fun abilities this generation.

DemonDragon

Ironclad trainer
I just love the idea of the Alola formes. I think it is a fantastic concept. Same species but having evolved different traits due to being in a very different location. I am thinking that we may see only around 70 new pokemon like X and Y, but have a fair few variations now. Some might be bummed if this means no or few new megas but I always felt Mega evolutions are something you do not want to over saturate pokemon with anyway. Variations, however, I feel is less of an issue for that. They can slow down the number on new pokemon but still allow a fair bit of variety in each region. A few new pokemon, and a few new-yet-not-new pokemon. It also lets them keep older pokemon fresh as others have mentioned. I think it would be a great way to help older, neglected, pokemon too. Ones that were maybe used less even back in the day. They might get new love with a species variant in a new region. I think I am more excited for this concept than most anything else show yet about the new games. Really looking forward to Sun and Moon now.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
I wonder, if Oricoro copies all dance moves.. what will happen with Rain Dance? Will it attack twice with Petal Dance (not that anyone uses it)? Hit itself in confusion, twice, by using Teeter Dance automatically? Kill itself with Lunar Dance? haha, such fun abilities this generation.

Ikr? Although this ability makes some of them pretty useless like what is even the point of using Rain Dance again?

Here is a list of all the "Dance Moves" unless I missed some...

Petal Dance
Swords Dance
Rain Dance
Dragon Dance
Feather Dance
Lunar Dance
Teeter Dance
Fiery Dance
Quiver Dance

Also, this Pokemon seems like the prefect reason to bring Tierno to Alola

League

Master Abra Catcher
I just realized how freaking terrifying Alolan Exeggutor is...35'?! And still sporting the deranged expressions of the original? Now imagine that appearing out of the jungle.
Now imagine that pokemon with three long necks, one for each head, and you have my idea for its Mega evolution.

It will be interesting to see if this stays a thing exclusive to Alola or if we get more regional forms. Forms "restoring" the original typing though... idk would they still change up the design? Because if not it'd be kinda boring to me. Just making them look closer to their original spirtes again(for the Kanto mons)? That might be too subtle in most cases. How would you take the fairy out of "Preservation Clefairy" to make it normal type again? Remove the little wings and make it beige? And a pure electric Magneto/Magneton could look similar to how some Chemistry books display atoms with blue and red spheres revolving around the central core(s).
A pure psychic Mr.Mime form might actually be cool, less "cutesy clown puppet" and more "sinister harlequin marionette"
Scientifically it would make sense that the limited "new" Restoration forms would mostly hail from the same few pokemon: if you're trying to bring back a critically endangered species, you have to do so by preserving, cultivating, and breeding the few remaining specimens. If they ever introduced individual variety to pokemon akin to what they have with Spinda, they could make the restoration forms more uniform. As well, in cases where there was a noticeable change between the sprites inbetween generations (i.e., Raichu was fat in Gens 3-5, thinner in Gen 6), they could make the new Restoration Raichu look like the old one.

Otherwise it'd make sense if ability+typing+moves were the only difference. Regarding moves, they could have Restoration pokemon with their Gen 1 learnsets.

They could do this with pokemon that didn't have a retconned type, by the way. Gengar went from being weak to Ground in one generation to being immune to it by way of ability. A Restoration Gengar could be weak to Ground by not having Levitate, and could have access to Gen 1 and 2 moves that it hasn't had in years.

I just love the idea of the Alola formes. I think it is a fantastic concept. Same species but having evolved different traits due to being in a very different location. I am thinking that we may see only around 70 new pokemon like X and Y, but have a fair few variations now. Some might be bummed if this means no or few new megas but I always felt Mega evolutions are something you do not want to over saturate pokemon with anyway. Variations, however, I feel is less of an issue for that. They can slow down the number on new pokemon but still allow a fair bit of variety in each region. A few new pokemon, and a few new-yet-not-new pokemon. It also lets them keep older pokemon fresh as others have mentioned. I think it would be a great way to help older, neglected, pokemon too. Ones that were maybe used less even back in the day. They might get new love with a species variant in a new region. I think I am more excited for this concept than most anything else show yet about the new games. Really looking forward to Sun and Moon now.
Yup. It's innovation that feels natural, and not like it's changing pokemon to be another game (not that I dislike Mega evolutions). The new model is possibly especially genius if it allows new pokemon forms to be introduced mid-generation. Imagine, for instance, that a new trailer for the 48th movie is coming out, and it features a new Dragon/Fairy Dunsparce wielded by a trainer from the Dunspo region. They could put that pokemon into the game mid-generation with a patch putting its data into the game and its line being put into the metagame/"environment" by way of event release.

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

I don't think Rain Dance is an actually Dance move, it will likely use the Japanese names to determine and I don't believe Dance is in Rain Dance in Japan.

I believe all other Dance moves in English are correct though. So it probably will be used a lot against Swords Dance and Quiver Dance.

I'm more curious if it forgoes an attack if the Ability activates because other wise it gets two moves in one turn.

Edit: It might be best to change the names of some moves to avoid confusion especially since it seems to be an increasingly thing to have more move groups.

Last edited:

Daisukereds

Here is a list of all the "Dance Moves" unless I missed some...

Also, this Pokemon seems like the prefect reason to bring Tierno to Alola

This makes me realize how more dance moves we need in the new game. I count 4 usable moves, and Fiery Dance is unique to Volcarona.
** Had forgotten about Tierno's love for dancing xD

Also, yes, Rain Dance seems to be "praying" instead.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I don't think Rain Dance is an actually Dance move, it will likely use the Japanese names to determine and I don't believe Dance is in Rain Dance in Japan.
I believe all other Dance moves in English are correct though. So it probably will be used a lot against Swords Dance and Quiver Dance.
I'm more curious if it forgoes an attack if the Ability activates because other wise it gets two moves in one turn.

You are correct. Rain Dance is known as "Rain Prayer" in Japanese, so it won't be copied.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~

I'm curious for this as well, although if it did I don't think it would be overpowered considering it's very situational

This makes me realize how more dance moves we need in the new game. I count 4 usable moves

I'm hoping for a Fairy type variant of dance like Pixie Dance or something like that

League

Master Abra Catcher
Wonder if Pikachu would get an Alolan form? What type would it be?
Where better for surfing Pikachu to originate than from Alola? Water/Electric? Or, else, a particularly noble or particularly underhanded strain of Pikachu could exist on the island, /Fighting or /Dark? I don't imagine that they would change its Electric typing, but it's not like the typings of Alola Vulpix or Exeggutor aren't big changes.

One could be the first (and most feasible) Electric/Grass types, as this link http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/invasive-species-profiles/mongoose/ (regarding the reason that mongooses were introduced) says that rats in sugarcane fields were a problem.

Last edited:

ECM

It's alright and I just provided additional food for thought, bouncing around ideas is fun :) I'd definitely love to see a pure Psychic Mr.Mime variation that is more in line with the early, somewhat sinister psychic types. I'd also love to see a pure Electric Magneton composed of atoms. It's just the Clefariy and Jigglypuff lines I can't come up with anything good for. The only thing that comes to my mind would be making them brown and furrier. Which makes Preservation Form Clefable kinda sound like Domo...

Maybe a Black and White Jigglypuff to reference the original Game Boy, change it's hair swirl a bit. As for Clefairy, I'm not too sure, haha, maybe change it's ears to something much more round, smaller tail, and more pronounced and lighter fur?

Wonder if Pikachu would get an Alolan form? What type would it be?

I'm hoping it would be Water/Flying to reference Flying and Surfing Pikachu, as well as a thundercloud type feel.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Where better for surfing Pikachu to originate than from Alola? Water/Electric? Or, else, a particularly noble or particularly underhanded strain of Pikachu could exist on the island, /Fighting or /Dark? I don't imagine that they would change its Electric typing, but it's not like the typings of Alola Vulpix or Exeggutor aren't big changes.

One could be the first (and most feasible) Electric/Grass types, as this link http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/invasive-species-profiles/mongoose/ (regarding the reason that mongooses were introduced) says that rats in sugarcane fields were a problem.

Clearly it will be a Dark-Type based on the Blue Pikachu they have/had planned for Detective Pikachu.

Maybe a Black and White Jigglypuff to reference the original Game Boy, change it's hair swirl a bit. As for Clefairy, I'm not too sure, haha, maybe change it's ears to something much more round, smaller tail, and more pronounced and lighter fur?

There was a rumor that Pokemon sent up from the VC versions of the Gen 1 games would retain their Gen 1 Typings and Stats, so that could be what happens for them. That said, I forget if that leak had anything credible about it, so yeah.

Last edited:

Dukkee

Only first if you don't count Rotam Mow. I know, it's only a form option, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.