• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty

Forever now
I really need took some time to digest the whole new info especially the new pokemon.
Overall I like em all, I mean formes, gimmick mons are basically not new. The changing types.. well let's hope not only for artistic purpose.
I do wonder if other mons can have part Ice if they're brought to the icy area.

Achernar

star-mapping pro
There's no chance they'd make variants version exclusive is there? Looking back Vulpix and Sandshrew have been in the past at least.

Most version exclusives usually have the same total stats. Sandslash's and Ninetails stats are far apart.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
So, i guess everyone can agree that atleast the Alolan Exeggutor is actually an old design, considering that we had seen it before back in 1997 on the cover of the Japanese "Jungle (TCG)".

[IMG139]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/4/42/JPJungleBoosterbox_1.jpg[/IMG139]

Yeah, I think you are right. At least that makes the typing make sense now :)
It will be interesting to see if the new Alola forms have any different stats to their current counterparts. Because it be a nice way to make some of the original Pokemon a little bit stronger.

Leosnake

So, i guess everyone can agree that atleast the Alolan Exeggutor is actually an old design, considering that we had seen it before back in 1997 on the cover of the Japanese "Jungle (TCG)".

[IMG139]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/4/42/JPJungleBoosterbox_1.jpg[/IMG139]

I forgot about this. I wonder if any other Pokemon had designs like this in the past we may have forgotten about.

Elementman-Novapoke

Most version exclusives usually have the same total stats. Sandslash's and Ninetails stats are far apart.

Sandslash and Ninetails were both exclusive to the same version. Their counterparts were Arbok (BST approx 15 lower than Sandslash) and Arcanine (BST approx 50 higher than Ninetails).

The Arcanine rumour is there - will we see an Alolan Arbok? Dark type? Ground type? Steel type (isn't there some Japanese creature spirit thing that's essentially a robotic snake? I seem to remember it being the basis for something from YuGiOh [that takes me back...])?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Pretty much. Much like Mega Charizard forms, Alolan Form alludes to previous entries for Exeggutor that suggested it grows large and grows multiple heads in tropical climates.

I forgot about this. I wonder if any other Pokemon had designs like this in the past we may have forgotten about.

This is not a complete list, as there are several other forms alluded to in dex entries, but it is good enough.

Last edited:

Leosnake

What is lurantis supposed to be based of?

Also, do you think Oricorio will have a pre-evo?

A praying Mantis. Also in regards to Oricorio I doubt it since I think we get one for each Island. But maybe.

Achernar

star-mapping pro
Sandslash and Ninetails were both exclusive to the same version. Their counterparts were Arbok (BST approx 15 lower than Sandslash) and Arcanine (BST approx 50 higher than Ninetails).

The Arcanine rumour is there - will we see an Alolan Arbok? Dark type? Ground type? Steel type (isn't there some Japanese creature spirit thing that's essentially a robotic snake? I seem to remember it being the basis for something from YuGiOh [that takes me back...])?

Maybe we would see a Fire-type Arbok. The Arcanine rumor though seems vague, how can it be a water-type?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
What is lurantis supposed to be based of?

Also, do you think Oricorio will have a pre-evo?

Flower mantis. Specifically, orchid mantis.

And no, but it I hope it does. For a gimmick Pokémon it is actually large enough to justify one(0.6 metres, 2 inches). A Cherubi-like pre-evo would be really cool, though Oricorio Forms seem to be present in all dexes as seperate species, which makes the idea difficult.

Leosnake

Maybe we would see a Fire-type Arbok. The Arcanine rumor though seems vague, how can it be a warer-type?

The same way A Vulpix can be an Ice type. Maybe it had to survive by living near the cost more and catching fish or something. I know it is an Canine but most dogs can swim and Tigers (which it's stripes remind me of) often go into water.

Flower mantis. Specifically, orchid mantis.

And no, but it I hope it does. For a gimmick Pokémon it is actually large enough to justify one(0.6 metres, 2 inches). A Cherubi-like pre-evo would be really cool, though Oricorio Forms seem to be present in all dexes as seperate species, which makes the idea difficult.

I forgot about that. Either way it is a Mantis.

Achernar

star-mapping pro
The same way A Vulpix can be an Ice type. Maybe it had to survive by living near the cost more and catching fish or something. I know it is an Canine but most dogs can swim and Tigers (which it's stripes remind me of) often go into water.

An arctic fox reference for Vulpix line is much more acceptable than a water dog Growlithe line.

Anyway, is Alolan Sandslash the first ever ice/steel?

Elementman-Novapoke

Maybe we would see a Fire-type Arbok. The Arcanine rumor though seems vague, how can it be a water-type?

Looking up at the Arcanine (and Vaporeon) in Leosnake's signature, the big fluffy tail could become more akin to a mermaid or dolphin tail. Lose the fur, add scales, split it at the end. Fishy tail. Voila. The fur tufts on its ankles could also become fin or sail like (looking at Vaporeon's ears). And I'm imagining Magikarp / Gyarados style moustache bits on Arcanine's snout.

Not the most perfect or original of ideas, but it's a direction that GF/TPC could head toward.

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_dog - I know the basis for Arcanine may be on something a little more exotic than a dog, but canine's have adapted or been bred for more aquatic qualities?

Pancham4life

I am Shadow the Pup!
I'm thinking that we may see some Ice Snorlax, due to the fact that 4 of the 5 Kanto variant Pokemon gained the Ice typing. Any thoughts for a possible second type? I'm leaning towards an Ice-Rock or a pure Ice typing if we do see this implemented.

Also I would post a link to the bulbapedia variant page here, but I can't for some reason and I am too tired to figure it out e.e

Swoobat

I like both Ice-type lines, although it's disappointing for me that they just get Snow Cloak, when things like Glaciate or Snow Warning exist; they could have got new abilities as well... As for Exeggutor, I guess I have to get used to it, I don't like that new form. Grass-Dragon can be good though.

Achernar

star-mapping pro
I'm thinking that we may see some Ice Snorlax, due to the fact that 4 of the 5 Kanto variant Pokemon gained the Ice typing. Any thoughts for a possible second type? I'm leaning towards an Ice-Rock or a pure Ice typing if we do see this implemented.

Also I would post a link to the bulbapedia variant page here, but I can't for some reason and I am too tired to figure it out e.e

Wasn't there an ice snorlax snowman before in the anime? I think it was pikachu's winter vacation?

Elementman-Novapoke

As much as I'm absolutely fascinated by the Alolan forms (tbh, I'm incredibly hyped for them), I hope that there isn't a ridiculous proportion of Ice types. Not that I have a problem with Ice - far from it - it's just that I would like to see a couple of brand new Ice type evolutionary lines this gen (decent ones aesthetically and competitively)!

Status
Not open for further replies.