• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Both the sandcastle pkmn and the fish are ugly

I like them both myself, especially the fish. I find them to both be truly interesting designs.

water trainer

Knuckle Trainer
Hmmm...these new Pokemon aren't the best...I mean the fish looks like it took literally 20 seconds to scribble down, it just looks too "cartoon fish"
Bewear's pre-evo could've been a little better and look less like Bewear...cause it kinda just looks like Bewear but on all 4 legs..

Some of the new Pokemon just look too basic like not a lot of thought when into them, almost as if they got told to quickly draw a sand monster/castle and a fish cause they had 2 mins to get it to the director lol

Nave

Honestly speaking, I never thought Rockruff was going to get a Lillipup treatment. Matter of a fact, I believe most of the people thought it is the next Lucario/Zoroark.

Don't diss Stoutland. Sand Rush is awesome.
But yeah, I know what you mean. Rockruff always had this allure to it that makes it special. Largely cause it's howling for an evolution.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Hmmm...these new Pokemon aren't the best...I mean the fish looks like it took literally 20 seconds to scribble down, it just looks too "cartoon fish"

But what about its submarine form? That's where the creativity is.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I have just noticed that. One of the rumors stated we will have a shovel pokemon, which the sand-castle Pokémon has a shovel on them? I think it was stated in HERE.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
I have just noticed that. One of the rumors stated we will have a shovel pokemon, which the sand-castle Pokémon has a shovel on them? I think it was stated in HERE.

I can't find anything really contradicting, but isn't the shovel thing kind of a stretch?

Nave

Bewear's pre-evo could've been a little better and look less like Bewear...cause it kinda just looks like Bewear but on all 4 legs..

Some of the new Pokemon just look too basic like not a lot of thought when into them, almost as if they got told to quickly draw a sand monster/castle and a fish cause they had 2 mins to get it to the director lol

I don't know how you think that fish took 20 seconds to scribble down. Unless you're saying the first forme. That one looks almost like a lure (even has that drooping mouth from when fish are caught), and the second looks like a swarm; could also be a little fish consumed by a big fish--either way it works.

water trainer

Knuckle Trainer
But what about its submarine form? That's where the creativity is.

I don't really care for forms too much (I'm one of people against the Alolan Forms) so I don't care much for it, but some of the Pokemon we've been getting the last few reveals have come across Fakemon looking (Formantis for sure!), this fish is another example of it, it just seems too fanmade to me.

I don't know how you think that fish took 20 seconds to scribble down. Unless you're saying the first forme. That one looks almost like a lure (even has that drooping mouth from when fish are caught), and the second looks like a swarm; could also be a little fish consumed by a big fish--either way it works.

I draw fakemon all the time so something like that is something I would draw in a matter of seconds, so to me it just looks like something that was just thrown on paper and didn't have much thought put into it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I don't really care for forms too much (I'm one of people against the Alolan Forms) so I don't care much for it, but some of the Pokemon we've been getting the last few reveals have come across Fakemon looking (Formantis for sure!), this fish is another example of it, it just seems too fanmade to me.

But what makes a Pokemon "Fakemon-looking?" If they're made by Game Freak, they're by definition not Fakemon. Your problem is probably just that you're not used to them yet. As you get more used to them, you'll probably begin to accept them as real Pokemon.

Jadgirl04

Lilac Dungeoneer
But why is it getting so much attention?
> Special Sun/Moon manga featuring Rockruff and its trainer coming before the games release
> Was teased in a CoroCoro trailer before getting officially revealed, sparking hype already.
> The damn secret shared with the starters which the fanbase has been speculating on since months
> Even the LEAKS give its hypothetical multiple evolutions prominence :p
> Now again a tease

It's the 'mascot' pokemon for the generation, much like Riolu/Lucario, Zorua/Zorark, and Sylveon- they always get more attention because they are the pokemon who show the most what the new generation has to offer. Riolu/Lucario had an interesting typing and really popular design, Zorua/Zorark had Illusion and put forth the idea that abilities could be so much cooler, and Sylveon was the poster child for fairy types and pokemon-amie. Rockruff will be what gen 7 is, which is likely to be based around the ecosystems of the islands, all so different but still filled with life. We're seeing it with Oricorio- these islands, and by extention the pokemon, all have such differing attrubutes to them.

water trainer

Knuckle Trainer
But what makes a Pokemon "Fakemon-looking?" If they're made by Game Freak, they're by definition not Fakemon. Your problem is probably just that you're not used to them yet. As you get more used to them, you'll probably begin to accept them as real Pokemon.

I mean the fish just looks like fakemon I've seen on DeviantArt and to me it just looks like a fan-made Pokemon.
This is my opinion, I'm not going to debate it.

RzK

Meow
It's the 'mascot' pokemon for the generation, much like Riolu/Lucario, Zorua/Zorark, and Sylveon- they always get more attention because they are the pokemon who show the most what the new generation has to offer. Riolu/Lucario had an interesting typing and really popular design, Zorua/Zorark had Illusion and put forth the idea that abilities could be so much cooler, and Sylveon was the poster child for fairy types and pokemon-amie. Rockruff will be what gen 7 is, which is likely to be based around the ecosystems of the islands, all so different but still filled with life. We're seeing it with Oricorio- these islands, and by extention the pokemon, all have such differing attrubutes to them.

Very well put. And yes, I remember, Sylveon was heavily advertised throughout Gen 6. Bit strange that it seems to show up rarely now. Why do you think we still see Lucario everywhere, though? Wait- I got it, it was one of the first Megas...

I too wonder what makes a Pokemon "Fakemon-looking". What is a "Fakemon" supposed to be...

I mean the fish just looks like fakemon I've seen on DeviantArt and to me it just looks like a fan-made Pokemon.

But it is a real Pokémon. It may or may not look like fan art. Fans are humans, the designers at GF are humans. What is so bad about it looking like a fan-made Pokémon?

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I too wonder what makes a Pokemon "Fakemon-looking". What is a "Fakemon" supposed to be...

Well a Fakemon is just what it sounds like, a fake Pokemon made by fans. I have an region of them myself.

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Thoughts on the CoroCoro scans:
  • That sandcastle is awesome! Awesome idea for a Pokémon.
  • Bewear's pre evo is so cute!
  • Alolan Meowth looks too female for my taste.
  • Alolan Marowak: awesome design!

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'

There is no such thing as looking like a fakemon, if GF made it then it's real.

The idea for the fish is so cool though, how dozens of them form the big fish

Jadgirl04

Lilac Dungeoneer

I draw fakemon all the time so something like that is something I would draw in a matter of seconds, so to me it just looks like something that was just thrown on paper and didn't have much thought put into it.

I think it's a good design. The base has to have a simple sillouette to have such a clean-cut design for the swarm, and it draws on a couple of interseting ideas; luring, swarming, and presumably bioluminescence in deep-sea enviroments. I don't think saying it "was just thrown on paper" is fair, clearly a lot of effort went into this 'mon to try and get the swarm mechanic down without making the swarm look odd due to the base being to complicated.

Making a design using one shape is difficult. Because the swarm is completely made of the base fish's sillouette overlapping and jutting out from it, it's hard to make it look nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.