• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
So we still don't know how Schooling works. And it seems like "reach a certain level" here isn't the level of the Pokemon itself.

Wait, why do you think it's not to do with actual level?

Elementman-Novapoke

When Minior kills Pyukumuku, it seems to have approx 20% of its HP left (measured using a scrap of paper, admittedly. Also assuming that each 'unit' on the health bar is equal to the same amount of HP). Innards Out then deals 20 damage to Minior (51 to 31, from what I could get from lots of pausing and rewinding). If Innards Out deals the same amount of HP damage (rather than a percentage), that gives a level 50 Pyukumuku 100HP. What does that make its base HP stat, then? Very low, I'm assuming?

Also getting Poliwag vibes from Pyukumuku. Can see it evolving twice. I'd love to see an evolved form puke out two Machamp-esque arms from its mouth and have them out all the time. It'd be equal parts ridiculous and awesome. (Or even an evolved form that has multiple 'heads' [isn't the entire thing just one big head at the moment?] or mouth, with a super buff limb coming out of each one.) Water/Fighting final evo? I was hoping for Poision/Fighting initially, but alas.

gliscor&yanmega

So we still don't know how Schooling works. And it seems like "reach a certain level" here isn't the level of the Pokemon itself.

I don't know, I feel the "reach a certain level" just means actual number level. They haven't really tried to keep the Abilities a secret, so don't think there's much to look into.

NaiveLunatic

I feel like they wouldn't have used the term level if they hadn't meant the game mechanic of the same name. It seems to get a whole lot more powerful once it uses that form, so it will probably become available at more or less the same level the Pokémon would otherwise be able to evolve, if it were an evolution instead of an alternate form.

I don't think Schooling has to do with the actual level of Wishiwashi, as it just groups up with its kind... Why wouldn't a lvl 1 be able to do that the same as lvl 50? Unless its level is supposed to correspond to the amount of fish in the School form ot something haha! I presume it just has to reach a certain "point" for it to activate but then again, what do I know?

DoctorB

Ghost-type user
Well, on the official website:

"Wishiwashi have a new Ability, Schooling, which no Pokémon has previously had. With Schooling, Wishiwashi can change form in battle to their School Form under certain conditions."

Also Pyukumuku's HP ranges from 53-102 HP. I think it's 100 since (in the Japanese trailer) 79 HP was enough to kill a half health+ Hariyama, which has 157 HP minimum at lv38.

Annabelle2012

Christian Trainer
I don't think Schooling has to do with the actual level of Wishiwashi, as it just groups up with its kind... Why wouldn't a lvl 1 be able to do that the same as lvl 50? Unless its level is supposed to correspond to the amount of fish in the School form ot something haha! I presume it just has to reach a certain "point" for it to activate but then again, what do I know?

If you read it's description it says that Wishiwashi who have a lot of experience in dangerous situations (which I'm taking to mean battles) are better at calling other for help, so a higher-leveled Wishiwashi has battled a lot and can call for help better.

DoctorB

Ghost-type user
If you read it's description it says that Wishiwashi who have a lot of experience in dangerous situations (which I'm taking to mean battles) are better at calling other for help, so a higher-leveled Wishiwashi has battled a lot and can call for help better.

Like i said above, on the official website:

"Wishiwashi have a new Ability, Schooling, which no Pokémon has previously had. With Schooling, Wishiwashi can change form in battle to their School Form under certain conditions."

I'm not against a level-based ability at all, but the wording here is kinda weird. I mean if they already said "under a certain level" in the trailer, why not just tell everyone already on the main website? Why "under certain conditions"?

Altaria38

Hey, did anyone else see the screenshot at 0:26 in the Japanese trailer? It's a little hard for me to tell but it appears to show either 2 new Pokemon in the overworld or 1 new Pokemon and a pile of berries. I have bad eyesight so I may be wrong but it caught my interest!

Elementman-Novapoke

Hey, did anyone else see the screenshot at 0:26 in the Japanese trailer? It's a little hard for me to tell but it appears to show either 2 new Pokemon in the overworld or 1 new Pokemon and a pile of berries. I have bad eyesight so I may be wrong but it caught my interest!

Delibird on the left. And then I think a pile of berries.

Altaria38

Thanks! It was just hard for me to see.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

I very much hope Wishiwashi is some kind of durable on its own, because if I have to have it in School form just for it to survive, it won't be worth catching.

Gizmoa

My guess is it is tied to level and hp and maybe also elevated stats.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
The seemingly weak Wishiwashi is called the demon of the sea because of its terrifying School Form! Demon of the sea is good, but I'll stick to Borg assimilated death whale.

And apparently Pyukumuku is used to moisturize skin, tourists hate it, and people think it's pitiful. poor baby :(

2dtyplosion

The seemingly weak Wishiwashi is called the demon of the sea because of its terrifying School Form! Demon of the sea is good, but I'll stick to Borg assimilated death whale.

And apparently Pyukumuku is used to moisturize skin, tourists hate it, and people think it's pitiful. poor baby :(

Isn't one of the trials given by the captains to calm a huge sea beast? I'm pretty sure it's a Wishiwashi.

Thepowaofhax

Isn't one of the trials given by the captains to calm a huge sea beast? I'm pretty sure it's a Wishiwashi.

It seems like a special attack titan, so maybe bringing that Drowzee from Gen 1 is a good idea. It does seem powerful..... Hm.....

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I wanted to point out something I appreciate about the new Pokemon in the Alola region.

Many of the names comprise of mostly Hawaiian letters from their alphabet system, and there are also examples in how Hawaiian language has extensive vowel usage.

Look at the name Lunala for an example of both. Compared to the capital city's name, Honolulu (Hawaii) you can see the legendary's name take on a similar motif.

Some Pokemon like Pyukumuku and Tapu Koko have a looser concept of the Hawaiian language (although I read T has a historical use in Hawaiian).

While many of these apply to the English (Spanish/Italian) names mostly, but Hawaii is in the United States, and English is still spoken largely in Hawaii.

I should also note that this doesn't apply to all Pokemon, so don't give me negative examples just to prove that I'm wrong.

Gizmoa

I wanted to point out something I appreciate about the new Pokemon in the Alola region.

Many of the names comprise of mostly Hawaiian letters from their alphabet system, and there are also examples in how Hawaiian language has extensive vowel usage.

Look at the name Lunala for an example of both. Compared to the capital city's name, Honolulu (Hawaii) you can see the legendary's name take on a similar motif.

Some Pokemon like Pyukumuku and Tapu Koko have a looser concept of the Hawaiian language (although I read T has a historical use in Hawaiian).

While many of these apply to the English (Spanish/Italian) names mostly, but Hawaii is in the United States, and English is still spoken largely in Hawaii.

I should also note that this doesn't apply to all Pokemon, so don't give me negative examples just to prove that I'm wrong.

I noticed it too, you aren't alone :)

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

Well, except that that trial takes place in those pools on Akala that are likely freshwater, and not part of the sea. Also, Wishiwash calls upon its fishlets when it's in danger, not just to act like a sea monster.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I seriously hope none of the other Pokemon end up Fairies. We've gotten more than enough. Let's see some more Ghost/Ice/Dragon/Steel/Psychic

Status
Not open for further replies.