• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Yes and that's fewer Pokemon that Grass has an actual advantage over. Really the only pure Grass type that is actually viable is Serperior, and that's only because of Contrary, if it weren't for that it would be mediocre at best. It may seem 'hardly' noticeable, but changing something as simple as one resistance can change a lot.

Exactly. Though, to be fair, there are other pure Grass-Types that are pretty impressive (Tangrowth just recently found its way back up to OU, Shaymin-Land has been up there before, and Sceptile was a strong BL pick back in Gen 3, when Leaf Blade, Thunder Punch, Crunch, and Dragon Claw were all Special). It's really just a matter of playing to their strengths by using them as part of a core :)

DoctorB

Ghost-type user
By the way, the riddler had posted some new hints , but kinda got buried by the 2 new trailers hype

Riddles2.jpg
Statue of Aristotle is an old hint, but hasn't been solved yet.
N1: Yukie Nakama, a Japanese actress, and Kirsi, a protagonist in anime Darker than black, which don't point to the new pokemon directly.
N2: A monk staff
N3: Wu Yong, an advisor of the gang of 108 heros in a fiction

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
By the way, the riddler had posted some new hints , but kinda got buried by the 2 new trailers hype

View attachment 15959
N1: Yukie Nakama, a Japanese actress, and Kirsi, a protagonist in anime Darker than black, which don't point to the new pokemon directly.

This has already been posted, but back then I didn't know who the riddle leaker was. In fact, I still don't. Is there any weight to this person's past claims?

Erron Black

The Outlaw
This has already been posted, but back then I didn't know who the riddle leaker was. In fact, I still don't. Is there any weight to this person's past claims?

Unsure if it's the same person, but apparently Pyukumuku was in one of the riddles, being rock/paper/scissors and organs.(This was before it was in Corocoro too)

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Unsure if it's the same person, but apparently Pyukumuku was in one of the riddles, being rock/paper/scissors and organs.(This was before it was in Corocoro too)

Ah, I see. In that case, as has been said before, Spiritomb is the obvious connecting spread, and an Alolan Spiritomb would be a good way to set up D/P remakes. My idea for one over on the Regional Variants thread was a Fighting/Ghost Type constructed from the souls of past warriors.

That said, this discussion is probably better left to the General Discussion thread.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

View attachment 15959

Ooh~ Riddles.

Yukie Nakama is a Japanese actress, singer and former idol. She was a 'gravure' (swimsuit photo book) idol for a few years until she got the lead role as Sadako for "Ring 0: Birthday", which gave her career a big break. The top-rating live-action version of the popular manga, Gokusen, established her as one of Japan's most popular actress.

Kirsi (Yin) is an anime character from Darker than Black. She is a blind teenage "Doll", emotionless mediums which seem like poorly responsive but otherwise normal human beings. Kirsi is also a Finnish name which means "frost".

A khakkhara (monk/sounding staff) is a Buddhist ringed staff used primarily in prayer or as a weapon, that originates from India. It is also the symbol of the Dharma and one of the eighteen objects which a Buddhist monk must carry. In popular fiction, fictional Buddhists and Tengu (a Japanese mythological creature) are often depicted carrying and even fighting with a khakkhara.

Wu Yong is a fictional character in "Water Margin", a classic Chinese novel and the basis of the Suikoden game series. He ranks 3rd of the 36 Heavenly Spirits of the 108 Liangshan heroes. A professor and the Chief Strategist. Nicknamed "Resourceful/Knowledge Star".

Also, "wuyong" means worthless or useless. Quite the opposite...

tldr; My guesses are:
N1: A doll Sadako/Yakuza/Model/Idol
N2: A monk with a staff, or just the staff
N3: Either a strategist/tactician Pokemon, or another Magikarp

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Yes and that's fewer Pokemon that Grass has an actual advantage over. Really the only pure Grass type that is actually viable is Serperior, and that's only because of Contrary, if it weren't for that it would be mediocre at best. It may seem 'hardly' noticeable, but changing something as simple as one resistance can change a lot.
Wut. Grass has an advantage over less than 6 Pokemon? Tell that to all the bulky Waters and Rock and Ground types.

You can't say only pure Grass-types count as Grass being good. And even if you could, there are 10 FE pure Grass-types, and 2 of them are in OU. I think that's a pretty good rate for any type combo, let alone a single type. In total there are 6 Grass-types in OU. More than Bug, same as Dark or Fighting, even more than freaking Fairy. Grass is doing fine. By comparison, there are 2 Ice-types in OU, one of which is a legendary. All of the viable Grass types are already weak to Ice, so they're not going to care if they can't hit them for neutral anymore, because why would they ever stay in on them. It would just be just a QoL improvement for in-game and lower tiers.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Wut. Grass has an advantage over less than 6 Pokemon? Tell that to all the bulky Waters and Rock and Ground types.

You can't say only pure Grass-types count as Grass being good. And even if you could, there are 10 FE pure Grass-types, and 2 of them are in OU. I think that's a pretty good rate for any type combo, let alone a single type. In total there are 6 Grass-types in OU. More than Bug, same as Dark or Fighting, even more than freaking Fairy. Grass is doing fine. By comparison, there are 2 Ice-types in OU, one of which is a legendary. All of the viable Grass types are already weak to Ice, so they're not going to care if they can't hit them for neutral anymore, because why would they ever stay in on them. It would just be just a QoL improvement for in-game and lower tiers.

While I agree that a change to the type chart isn't necessary, I don't see a change for the improvement for in-game & lower tiers as a bad thing.

Orphalesion

tldr; My guesses are:
N1: A doll Sadako/Yakuza/Model/Idol
N2: A monk with a staff, or just the staff
N3: Either a strategist/tactician Pokemon, or another Magikarp

Ooooh I love that idea! A eerie, animated, "beautiful" doll. Another interesting potential Ghost type. Due to the model/idol connection I could see something delicate and fragile that is little more than a beautiful facade. Maybe something like a porcelain ballerina.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Ooooh I love that idea! A eerie, animated, "beautiful" doll. Another interesting potential Ghost type. Due to the model/idol connection I could see something delicate and fragile that is little more than a beautiful facade. Maybe something like a porcelain ballerina.

I wouldn't mind that one bit. I could easily see it being a quick, hard-hitting glass cannon. But I'm curious what its secondary typing would be. Normal, maybe?

Erron Black

The Outlaw

Did I ever say that? No. I'm just saying that makes Grass an even less useful type, and it's uses right now are pretty minimal. Breloom and Amoonguss are really the most common due to being the only usable Spore users(Sorry Parasect that 8x Fire weakness screws you big time.) Not only would it lose superiority to 6 or so Pokemon, it loses neutral coverage against 11 more fully evolved Pokemon(Not including Ice Arceus) which believe it or not, can change up the Metagame massively and make certain Grass types weaker. Nerfing a type that doesn't need it to buff another type is not how you do it at all.

I never said pure Grass was good, I was using it as an example as adding on another type can weaken or strengthen a Pokemon, I was using the typing itself without any benefits or burdens. The only reason those Grass types are in OU is mostly because of their defensive capabilities. M-Venu, Amoonguss, Breloom, Tangrowth, and Ferrothorn are all defensive, only one of them are pure Grass, Serperior is the only offensive one, and to be quite honest, is easily countered by Sap Sipper Azumarill, Klefki, Jirachi, etc... especially the ladder two which can tank a hit from Leaf Storm and in return can paralyze, or immediately paralyze with Prankster Klefki.

Grass is doing okay. Making something else resist Grass and then Grass will be doing bad. Right now Grass, Dragon, Fire, Poison, Flying, Bug, and Steel ALL resist Grass. Add Ice and that's a grand total of 8 out of the 18 types that would resist Grass, nearly HALF of the available types. While Grass hits Rock, Ground, and Water super effectively. It also only resists Ground, Grass, Electric, and Water, and gets hit super effectively by Ice, Fire, Bug, Poison, and Flying.

Take that into consideration, okay?

Last edited:

XXD17

Draco rex

View attachment 15959

Could any of these even remotely be a dolphin?

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Could any of these even remotely be a dolphin?

Unless we get a dolphin monk (which would be the greatest thing EVER), I'm afraid not.

EDIT: Apparently a monk dolphin is a thing. It is the name given to Risso's dolphin by Taiwanese fisherman.

Last edited:

amoebo

amoeboVGC

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Did I ever say that? No. I'm just saying that makes Grass an even less useful type, and it's uses right now are pretty minimal. Breloom and Amoonguss are really the most common due to being the only usable Spore users(Sorry Parasect that 8x Fire weakness screws you big time.) Not only would it lose superiority to 6 or so Pokemon, it loses neutral coverage against 11 more fully evolved Pokemon(Not including Ice Arceus) which believe it or not, can change up the Metagame massively and make certain Grass types weaker. Nerfing a type that doesn't need it to buff another type is not how you do it at all.

I never said pure Grass was good, I was using it as an example as adding on another type can weaken or strengthen a Pokemon, I was using the typing itself without any benefits or burdens. The only reason those Grass types are in OU is mostly because of their defensive capabilities. M-Venu, Amoonguss, Breloom, Tangrowth, and Ferrothorn are all defensive, only one of them are pure Grass, Serperior is the only offensive one, and to be quite honest, is easily countered by Sap Sipper Azumarill, Klefki, Jirachi, etc... especially the ladder two which can tank a hit from Leaf Storm and in return can paralyze, or immediately paralyze with Prankster Klefki.

Grass is doing okay. Making something else resist Grass and then Grass will be doing bad. Right now Grass, Dragon, Fire, Poison, Flying, Bug, and Steel ALL resist Grass. Add Ice and that's a grand total of 8 out of the 18 types that would resist Grass, nearly HALF of the available types. While Grass hits Rock, Ground, and Water super effectively. It also only resists Ground, Grass, Electric, and Water, and gets hit super effectively by Ice, Fire, Bug, Poison, and Flying.

Take that into consideration, okay?

I genuinely totally misread the first part. Sorry.

Also, I have been looking into the raw numbers here, because I think both of us have rose-tinted glasses in favour of our respective types (though I must say, I'm not a rabid Ice-fan, I just like underdogs :p)

Things that resist it: Grass 7; Ice 4
Things that it resists: Grass 4; Ice 1
Things it is SE against: Grass 3; Ice 3
Things SE against it: Grass 5; Ice 4

Bolded are the superior type in each instance. As you can see, it ends up narrowly favouring Ice. Which tbh, I did not expect. I do see your point, but we do also have to consider that Grass has the strongest status-inflicting moves in the game, the strongest healing/stalling capabilities, and multiple usable Sunny Day synergies. In contrast, Ice has a great status condition with no reliable way to apply it, and a weather condition that no other types can benefit from (and poor weather abilities even within its type). After considering the possibilities, I wish to return to the original point (and to the subject of the thread) and say that perhaps the answer is in stronger Ice types with better coverage, moves and abilities rather than messing with the type chart.

It would certainl be ironic if a region based on tropical Hawaii ends up heralding the heyday of the Ice type. XD

NO! I do not want something that terrifying in pokemon, Mr.Mime is creepy as is,

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I genuinely totally misread the first part. Sorry.

Also, I have been looking into the raw numbers here, because I think both of us have rose-tinted glasses in favour of our respective types (though I must say, I'm not a rabid Ice-fan, I just like underdogs :p)

Things that resist it: Grass 7; Ice 4
Things that it resists: Grass 4; Ice 1
Things it is SE against: Grass 3; Ice 3
Things SE against it: Grass 5; Ice 4

Bolded are the superior type in each instance. As you can see, it ends up narrowly favouring Ice. Which tbh, I did not expect. I do see your point, but we do also have to consider that Grass has the strongest status-inflicting moves in the game, the strongest healing/stalling capabilities, and multiple usable Sunny Day synergies. In contrast, Ice has a great status condition with no reliable way to apply it, and a weather condition that no other types can benefit from (and poor weather abilities even within its type). After considering the possibilities, I wish to return to the original point (and to the subject of the thread) and say that perhaps the answer is in stronger Ice types with better coverage, moves and abilities rather than messing with the type chart.

It would certainl be ironic if a region based on tropical Hawaii ends up heralding the heyday of the Ice type. XD

Yeah that was my point, there's no need to make Grass worse just to benefit Ice type, there's plenty of alternatives like what you mentioned.

Rather than mess with the type match-ups, they should simply buff Hail's synergy with Ice types themselves. As we've only got Snow Cloak and Ice Body that benefit whereas Sun has Chlorophyll, Leaf Guard, Solar Power, and Flower Gift while weakening Dry Skin. Rain benefits Rain Dish, Swift Swim, Dry Skin, and Hydration. Sandstorm benefits Sand Rush, Sand Veil, and Sand Force.

What should be done is a boost to the power of Ice moves in Hail, similar to Sunny Day and Rain with Fire and Water moves respectively, and a new ability like Chlorophyll, Sand Rush, and Swift Swim. Blizzard is 100% accurate in Hail already, and it seems Sun is getting a buff for physical orientated Pokemon that benefit from sun.(Solar Blade) Baffles me how Hail is always dead last for usability when it comes to weather.

gliscor&yanmega

Thoughts on the new Pokemon:

Turtonator-Not much on the cute side; which probably was intended to be the case, but it does have some level of cool factor to is, albeit, also some odd bits. I'm pretty indifferent to it. It does have an interesting concept though, and I love how it's video showed it battling only Turtle Pokemon, also I do like that this is a +1 for Turtle based teams now. I don't expect it to evolve but I think a pre evolution is a good bet.

Stats-80/70/140/100/80/30

Crabrawler-Most seem to think it's based on a Coconut Crab; which probably is the case, but I feel they probably also drew some inspiration from Boxer Crabs. It has a quirky look to it, which I feel is nice, and it's also got some cool to it I'd say. I kind of like it, and I do love the concept. It's a +1 for Crustacean based teams, which is nice. Not sure whether to expect it to evolve or not, it's only 2 feet, but it looks complete in a sense. All other Crustacean Pokemon I believe are a two stage line, so I would expect a pre evolution if not an evolution.

Stats(For the final evolution)-70/140/85/40/75/70

League

Master Abra Catcher
Crabrawler-Most seem to think it's based on a Coconut Crab; which probably is the case, but I feel they probably also drew some inspiration from Boxer Crabs
Why in all my life I have nevuh hurd sum'in so out-ray-jis!

No, they might've taken some loan from the name for the typing and motif but little more, not that typing and motif are on the whole small things. It's why Malamar is a Dark-type, because the name alone of the "Vampire Squid" allows for a "dark" or "evil" motif, even if in its functions the "Vampire Squid" is just a happy--go-lucky guy, but is so unfortunately (and racistly!) named by that fellow homo sapiens.

Last edited:

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Unless we get a dolphin monk (which would be the greatest thing EVER), I'm afraid not.

EDIT: Apparently a monk dolphin is a thing. It is the name given to Risso's dolphin by Taiwanese fisherman.

InB4 dolphin poke finally happens, but its a hideous anthro-dolphin that's a Fighting-type monk for no reason other than the pun and everyone hates it.
Yeah that was my point, there's no need to make Grass worse just to benefit Ice type, there's plenty of alternatives like what you mentioned.

Rather than mess with the type match-ups, they should simply buff Hail's synergy with Ice types themselves. As we've only got Snow Cloak and Ice Body that benefit whereas Sun has Chlorophyll, Leaf Guard, Solar Power, and Flower Gift while weakening Dry Skin. Rain benefits Rain Dish, Swift Swim, Dry Skin, and Hydration. Sandstorm benefits Sand Rush, Sand Veil, and Sand Force.

What should be done is a boost to the power of Ice moves in Hail, similar to Sunny Day and Rain with Fire and Water moves respectively, and a new ability like Chlorophyll, Sand Rush, and Swift Swim. Blizzard is 100% accurate in Hail already, and it seems Sun is getting a buff for physical orientated Pokemon that benefit from sun.(Solar Blade) Baffles me how Hail is always dead last for usability when it comes to weather.
That was my original point, but someone pointed out how few resistances Ice has and I thought that would be an easy buff... turns out it gets very complicated very quickly. An ice-skating ability that boosts Speed in Hail would be very cool, and I totally agree Ice should get a power boost in Hail. It's madness it doesn't already. Or at least make an ability like Sand Force that does the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.