• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphalesion

Which of the new Pokemon do people think they're for sure gonna use on their team? Besides Rowlet, I don't know of any that will for sure be on the team, maybe Rockruff, but I do really like Mudsdale and Wishiwashi. I'm personally just hoping to use what comes in handy as I play through without too much pre-planning.

It's impossible for me to say before I have seen the rest of the Alola pokemon. I'll probably use Cutiefly at some point, depending on its evolution. But really I can't commit to any oparticular pokemon before I am aware of the whole selection.

As for Pokemon I might use:

Popplio (if it really evolves into the mermaid)
Rowlet (if Popplio doesn't evolve into the mermaid)
Cutiefly
Vikavolt
Bruxish
Salandit
Bewear
Mimikyu
Wimpod
Mudsdale
Minior
Pallosand
Wishiwashi
Pyukumuku
Morelull

Last edited:

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Which of the new Pokemon do people think they're for sure gonna use on their team? Besides Rowlet, I don't know of any that will for sure be on the team, maybe Rockruff, but I do really like Mudsdale and Wishiwashi. I'm personally just hoping to use what comes in handy as I play through without too much pre-planning.
*points to signature*
My team may change if there isn't an Alolan Butterfree, so Caterpie will need to leave and give his place to a Gen VII pokémon. Mudbray is top contender to replace him if that happens (love donkeys).

gliscor&yanmega

I'm not sure what Starter I'll use anymore. I was planning to use Litten before but between it's final evolution and Salandit I'm not sure on it anymore. Was also planning on Lunala because I love the design a lot and imagine it'll be forced caught in the story but I think I'll just us it for whatever story part it has and have the slot for another Pokemon. I'd love to use Grubbin but with it's line being revealed I'm not sure since I'd like to see the evolution of the Pokemon when I play the game.

I like my team not to overlap with types. Also prefer dual types to get more use out of each type, but not oppose to using mono types. Also prefer Pokemon who have evolutions, just more exciting for me when my Pokemon evolves instead of staying the same throughout the entire game after getting it.

Using what we know so far, depending on the Starter I pick:
Rowlett, Rockruff, Grubbin/Cutiefly/Wimpod, Sandygast, Wishiwashi/Pyukumuku, Salandit
Litten, Rockruff, Grubbin/Cutiefly/Wimpod, Sandygast, Fomantis, Wishiwashi/Pyukumuku
Popplio, Rockruff, Grubbin/Cutiefly, Sandygast, Fomantis, Salandit

Rockruff I'm 99.99% sure I'm going to use no matter what, unless I don't like its evolution, which I just don't see happening(It'll be revealed soon too so wont have to wait long at least). I'll use one of the Bugs for sure(I somewhat worry another Bug type will be revealed and probably end up wanting to us it too ). If nothing else comes up then I'll use Sandygast. And then it'll depend what Starter I picked. I doubt Wishiwashi will evolve but its form is good enough for me to make the exception.

If I happen to come across a new Pokemon that wasn't revealed prior to the games and I like it a lot then I may end up using it instead of something listed. But otherwise, those are the ones I'm currently looking towards.

R_N

I thought about planning out a team, but without knowing where they're located or who all is in the dex, it's just not worth it. I've been burned by pokemon being super late game or being a pain to find or seeing a different pokemon I want to use before even getting there.

e: I mean, like, BW1 had things like Heatmor & Durant & Deino all i nvictory road. I liked both Braviary & Mandibuzz and neither were available until Route 10 at the earliest and took until level 54.

When I played black I went out of my way to breed a Vullaby and it still didn't evolve until post game.

Last edited:

loverofsheep

incrediblegoodboy
I'm gonna pick Popplio for sure. It's a tradition for me to pick the water starter for every new region. I really like Minior and I hope it evolves so I'll probably use him. I love Mudbray and Mudsdale so that's certainly a possibility. The only Pokemon I know for sure I'll use is Cutiefly. Typically I like to give myself room for new Pokemon I encounter in the game to surprise me but I usually pick at least one from the prerelease I know I want to use (in gen 6 it was swirlix.)

WolfCypher

I thought about planning out a team, but without knowing where they're located or who all is in the dex, it's just not worth it. I've been burned by pokemon being super late game or being a pain to find or seeing a different pokemon I want to use before even getting there.

e: I mean, like, BW1 had things like Heatmor & Durant & Deino all i nvictory road. I liked both Braviary & Mandibuzz and neither were available until Route 10 at the earliest and took until level 54.

When I played black I went out of my way to breed a Vullaby and it still didn't evolve until post game.

I know how you feel (that actually took away my interest in Bravairy, which I dropped due to those exact reasons in my Black team) but snce XY, I've been planning teams based on post-game competitive online play, so with that mentality, late game evolutions/locations don't factor in to things anymore.

BlitzGirl41

I know how you feel (that actually took away my interest in Bravairy, which I dropped due to those exact reasons in my Black team) but snce XY, I've been planning teams based on post-game competitive online play, so with that mentality, late game evolutions/locations don't factor in to things anymore.

Although not as late in the game, I felt almost this same way with Noivern. Whenever i play Y, I still make an effort to catch Noibat once it's available, and then keep it as the flyer in my team for the entire rest of the game, but it does get frustrating having to wait so damn long. I made a new file in White with the goal of getting Braviary, but I already feel burnt out on the game itself so I can't say I'll ever get it and finish it. Unova and the general art style of B/W just don't appeal to me as much as the other games.

R_N

That's a nice way of thinking about it, especially since we have Hyper Training to help fill in gaps.

But I also like getting a ful lteam that I'm happy with by around midgame. My HG, BW2 and XY teams all had a very catch-and-swap mentality to them. Oh that one looks nice but ha I like that one more. But I still finished out my teams by no later than gym 5.

Coincidentally this is why I have never used an ice type aside from Lapras (who you're just given in FRLG), Walrein (because they give you a spheal early in XD) and Vanilluxe (who they mercifully put at gym 5).
still waiting on my early game sneasel who i can evolve in a timely manner and also doesn't require breeding to get good moves, gamefreak.

WolfCypher

I primarily don't plan a team based on pre-release Pokémon due to what happened with RS pre-release. Back then when we had seen about only 20 of the new 3rd Gen Pokémon, I ust kneeeeew I was going to use Torchic, Sharpedo, Poochyena, Kecleon, Shroomish, and Volbeat in my Ruby team.

So of course Ruby and Sapphire gets released in the US, and all the Pokémon had been unveiled to everyone by then, and absolutely none of them made it into any of my Ruby teams (I would reset and play again, still never used any of those guys).

So I try not to get to thinking I'm 100% married to anything until pretty much the whole dex is spoiled.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Although not as late in the game, I felt almost this same way with Noivern. Whenever i play Y, I still make an effort to catch Noibat once it's available, and then keep it as the flyer in my team for the entire rest of the game, but it does get frustrating having to wait so damn long. I made a new file in White with the goal of getting Braviary, but I already feel burnt out on the game itself so I can't say I'll ever get it and finish it. Unova and the general art style of B/W just don't appeal to me as much as the other games.

Gen 5 has a lot of strengths to me, but one of it's biggest weaknesses, if not THE biggest weakness was how long it took to evolve pretty much EVERYTHING. Lilipup is the only non-starter that evolves before level 20 for Pete's sake!

gliscor&yanmega

Gen 5 has a lot of strengths to me, but one of it's biggest weaknesses, if not THE biggest weakness was how long it took to evolve pretty much EVERYTHING. Lilipup is the only non-starter that evolves before level 20 for Pete's sake!

There was a handful that evolved from 20-25 though to be fair, and some more by level 30. I feel for most Pokemon it was fine, but there were some that had some issues. I remember using Larvesta in my first playthrough...and of course you only get that in an egg late in the game and needs another 58 levels to evolve. B2/W2 fixed that in a sense by giving you a level 35 Volcarona(Funny enough...that's the level I would expect it to be at when it evolves). Braviary and Mandibuzz got the same treatment, being caught at level 25(Again at a realistic level it should have evolved). Zwelious was also available at around level 50, albeit, still late in the game and probably still a hassle to evolve by the league.

I'm optimistic it wont happen again in Sun and Moon. XY were fine though, some still evolved late but most were alright.

I'm more concern over the placement. I just hope all the new Pokemon will be placed at a location that isn't too late in the game, but I'm sure a few will suffer the fate of being late captures. Hopefully if any are late captures they'll be standalones so there aren't cases like Bergmite(Where the Pokemon will evolve the next time it level ups).

Last edited:

storm12

Weather Bearer
I just really hope we get a non Dragon pseudo legend this time. Goodra was nice as a more uorthodox pseudo but it was pure Dragon :L

I'd like to see Fairy, Bug, Poison or Grass to get the honour of a pseudo legend this time around, we could really do with some pokemon with higher BSTs for these types.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
My plan so far is to use Rowlet and Vikavolt (confirmed early game). If they are available early enough, I plan on using Mudsdale and Marowak. For a Grass type I'm torn between Exeggutor and Lurantis, so that might depend on whichever comes first. Other than that, I'm waiting to see what else comes our way :)

I just really hope we get a non Dragon pseudo legend this time. Goodra was nice as a more uorthodox pseudo but it was pure Dragon :L

I'd like to see Fairy, Bug, Poison or Grass to get the honour of a pseudo legend this time around, we could really do with some pokemon with higher BSTs for these types.
On the topic of pseudos and team plans, I really really wish they'd give us access to a pseudo early on again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Trapinch is the earliest one has ever appeared. Gible might be a close second, but didn't you need some HMs to get to him?

EDIT: Whoops, checked and Flygon apparently doesn't count as a pseudo. My bad.

Last edited:

Ioneos

old geezer
I for sure wanna do a Mimimkyu solo run. I love this thing so freakin much. My son.

On the topic of pseudos and team plans, I really really wish they'd give us access to a pseudo early on again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Trapinch is the earliest one has ever appeared. Gible might be a close second, but didn't you need some HMs to get to him?

Flygon is not a pseudo.

DSDark

Breeder

Honestly right now people can only pick pokemon based off of their typing and/or ability. Eventually people will be deciding their teams based off of which pokemon are usable.

However. I'm definitely going with Litten and either Mimikyu or Cutiefly

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Gible in Platinum is by far the earliest Pseudo.
Honestly right now people can only pick pokemon based off of their typing and/or ability. Eventually people will be deciding their teams based off of which pokemon are usable.

In-game pretty much anything is usable.

gliscor&yanmega

I could have easily seen Florges as the Pseudo of XY too. But yes, I would prefer a non-Dragon this time, I would accept a Bug/Dragon though.

Trapinch isn't a Pseudo. Bagon was available early in XY(Before 2nd Gym), around level 15.

Gible was at an early location but I believe you had to get the 6th badge because it needed Strength to access it. But I think in Platinum you could get to it right away. It was also available before the 5th Gym in XY, which is a decent place.

I believe everything else was either at an early location but needed something late in the game or were simply at a late location.

But yes, it would be nice for the Pseudo to be early on this time, and might as well have some past ones early too.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I plan my team just for in-game, not to use in online matches, and in those anything goes. The game is not hard to the point you actually have to plan what are you gonna use against NPCs, you can just go with anything and it will be fine, so I don't mind if a pokémon is strong or about overlapping types when making my team... I simply go for the ones I put my eyes on and think "I want to have this guy."

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost

yeah... and like someone else said, what else is in the dex, but other than alola forms (def' gonna make cross-form pairs of arcanine {assuming rumors are true} and vulpix), of the ones revealed so far, design-wise I'm most interested in mimikyu (def. getting one of these, no matter how good it is or what else is in dex. love how it points fun at the pikaclone phenomenon, and that dex entry man), drampa, minior, morelull, rowlet3, rockruff if it gets a cool evo, pyukumuku (think it's sort of hilarious, and it's ability might be fun to mess with people), and salandit

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I could have easily seen Florges as the Pseudo of XY too. But yes, I would prefer a non-Dragon this time, I would accept a Bug/Dragon though.

Trapinch isn't a Pseudo. Bagon was available early in XY(Before 2nd Gym), around level 15.

Gible was at an early location but I believe you had to get the 6th badge because it needed Strength to access it. But I think in Platinum you could get to it right away. It was also available before the 5th Gym in XY, which is a decent place.

I believe everything else was either at an early location but needed something late in the game or were simply at a late location.

But yes, it would be nice for the Pseudo to be early on this time, and might as well have some past ones early too.
I edited my original post before you made yours to say I realised Trapinch wasn't one... Gible is def the earliest, followed by Goomy. And I'm only considering the first appearance in a pseudo's own generation.

Considering the point of pseudos is that they're mega powerful but take a long time to train, it would make sense to me for GF to give us access to them at a relatively early part of the game (like 2 or 3 gyms in) so we can start training them as part of our journey. It would be a very rewarding addition I feel.

In-game pretty much anything is usable.
We are clearly talking about having Pokemon as members of our teams for a significant portion of the storyline. With things like Braviary and Mandibuzz in BW, this was not possible as they only appeared just before Victory Road. With a lot of pseudos it isn't possible because you don't get access until later. Bagon needing Waterfall means it too is accessible at the earliest just before the Hoenn Elite 4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.