• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightwolf09

So the day wolf and the werewolf are just different forms of the same Pokemon, but they don't change form?
That's kind of dumb, why not just make them separate Pokemon at that point? Might as well make Silcoon and Cascoon forms of the same Pokemon...

Wormadam, Alolan Pokemon, Shellos, Meowstic. This is not new.

.Aerodactyl.

So the day wolf and the werewolf are just different forms of the same Pokemon, but they don't change form?
That's kind of dumb, why not just make them separate Pokemon at that point? Might as well make Silcoon and Cascoon forms of the same Pokemon...

I think, personally, that they are doing their best to keep the Dex from exploding with numbers, but having as many new Pokémon as they can sort of cheat in, if that makes sense. For new players, the "gotta catch em' all" quest gets a little crazy past 700. Alolan forms, Megas, split forms instead of full evos helps give us "new" without overcrowding. I think, if this was several hundred Pokémon ago and a few generations ago, they probably would have opted to make them a split evolution personally instead of a form. These are just my thoughts on the matter, doesn't make it true. I'm honestly not that brothered by it, to me it's such a minor detail that it seems irrelevant if it's a new Pokémon or just a form.

I'm not saying that's the ONLY reason we got things like Megas and alolan forms (I'm sure a lot has to do with marketing and other things. I think several reasons and ideas go into big decisions like this and not just one for sure. They had to do several things as company: make money, appeal to players, they have to have a game model and ideas that are marketable, profitable and sustainable. keep old players and generate interest to new ones). It might not even be a reason at all. But it's just what I think. I certainly understand the frustration of those who think that it needed to be a new Pokémon and not just a form, I'd agree that while forms aren't exactly new, this is a sort of new step for them. Part of it could have been to give Rockruff something to make him more distinguishable. A permanent split form isn't new and neither is a day night evolution, but a split form based on evolving at day or night is. Other split forms are due to gender or something like that.

Last edited:

Daisukereds

The new Rockruff evo forms look cool, but I'm a bit perplexed as to why they didn't just make them separate Pokémon. Same with Wishiwashi's School form.

Well, it is not a man that turns into a werewolf, but a normal wolf that transforms when the moon is out. It's a good motif! Also, Wishiwashi is probably going to be quite powerful while in school form.. While we don't know the details of the transformation/de-transformation yet, it seems like it might be a double-edged sword. Which is good for diversity/strategies.

Like .Aerodactyl. said.. does it matter? We still get a "new" Pokémon this way.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

Because the forms are based more on influence than overall adaptation.

This isn't like Umbreon and Espeon, where Eevee adapts to surviving under the moon or sun. Lugarugan is simply instilled with either the light of the sun or the dark of the night. Theoretically, if it were to evolve with neither influence, it would have a different form entirely.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
The reason why they are just different forms, gameplay-wise, is likely because they share too many things with other, which can be abilities, moves, or stats.

Split evolutions tend to be a bit more different than different forms.

knightwolf09

Lungargaru will be just like those pokemon. I think that's a wonderful idea.

I'm so torn on which one I want. Maybe once I see the typings I'll decide. I'm so happy I'm finally getting the wolf pokemon I always wanted.

Janovy

Banned
The reason why they are just different forms, gameplay-wise, is likely because they share too many things with other, which can be abilities, moves, or stats.

Split evolutions tend to be a bit more different than different forms.
I think the two Pokemon will be very different.

Meowstic is proof that we can have a single species with a different moveset and different stats. They might share abilities though.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I really like rockruffs midday evolution form but it's night form reminds me of zoroark....

Charmander27

Very Melon
I may not be in the majority, but I wish they would go back and make Pokémon like Silcoon/Cascoon, Nidorans, Pan-/Simi- monkeys, etc just forms, rather than entire species. But, I kinda doubt they'll ever change the National Dex even though I think it needs an update pretty badly.

That said, I love the alternate forms of the Rockruff evo.

Orphalesion

Not very exited about the Rockruff evo(s) I mean so we finally have a wolf pokemon, everybody can tick that box now, but beyond that...eh...wasn't very into Rockruff to begin with so it leaves me a bit cold.

The designs are not bad, the Midday form looks like a nice anime wolf (I actually kinda like that they gave it the stylized mane wolves have in a lot of anime) and the midnight form looks skinned ^-^ I like that, reminds me of that old, old werewolf movie "Company of Wolves" were the werewolf tore off his human skin before transfroming, wonder if it originated with that movie or if it was part of an older version of the myth....

I may not be in the majority, but I wish they would go back and make Pokémon like Silcoon/Cascoon, Nidorans, Pan-/Simi- monkeys, etc just forms, rather than entire species. But, I kinda doubt they'll ever change the National Dex even though I think it needs an update pretty badly.

I would absolutely LOVE if they'd do that the Nidorans have bothered me ever since Meowstick was introduced. That being said I've never been a fan of the Nidorans.

landipan

Love the day form of Rockruff!! But hate the night form lol. It looks like a goofy 80's/90's cartoon with that hair.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
Love the day form of Rockruff!! But hate the night form lol. It looks like a goofy 80's/90's cartoon with that hair.

Now that you mention it, it does.

Now you made me like Nightruff, or at least appreciate it's design more.

I still like Sunruff better. Sunruff lol, I'm going to nickname mine Sunroof it seems.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

Or Grass, Sandy and Trash Cloak Wormadam the same pokémon. OH WAIT...

Lets not act as if this is a new mechanic. Just the time-bit is different. The entire set-up was done before with Burmy, but based on location instead of time.

As for Lugarugan, I'm completely blown away by the Midday Form. The Night Form I'm less impressed by. It's the mane that turns me off, but I'm sure it'll settle in nicely.

My team for now consists of:

- Rowlet
- Midday Lugarugan
- Salandit
- Wishiwashi
- Mudsdale
- Jangmo-o

With the bench being:
- Cutiefly2
- Pikipek
- Bewear
- Komala
- Togedemaru
- Sensu-Oricorio

Still waiting for that Alolan Ice and Dark-type..

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

noakai

I think, personally, that they are doing their best to keep the Dex from exploding with numbers, but having as many new Pokémon as they can sort of cheat in, if that makes sense. For new players, the "gotta catch em' all" quest gets a little crazy past 700. Alolan forms, Megas, split forms instead of full evos helps give us "new" without overcrowding. I think, if this was several hundred Pokémon ago and a few generations ago, they probably would have opted to make them a split evolution personally instead of a form. These are just my thoughts on the matter, doesn't make it true. I'm honestly not that brothered by it, to me it's such a minor detail that it seems irrelevant if it's a new Pokémon or just a form.

I'm not saying that's the ONLY reason we got things like Megas and alolan forms (I'm sure a lot has to do with marketing and other things. I think several reasons and ideas go into big decisions like this and not just one for sure. They had to do several things as company: make money, appeal to players, they have to have a game model and ideas that are marketable, profitable and sustainable. keep old players and generate interest to new ones). It might not even be a reason at all. But it's just what I think. I certainly understand the frustration of those who think that it needed to be a new Pokémon and not just a form, I'd agree that while forms aren't exactly new, this is a sort of new step for them. Part of it could have been to give Rockruff something to make him more distinguishable. A permanent split form isn't new and neither is a day night evolution, but a split form based on evolving at day or night is. Other split forms are due to gender or something like that.

I think this too. If you look at both Gen 6 and Gen 7 together, I think they've been deliberately trying to keep the numbers down since last gen too. Gen 6 had a lot of recolors and also Mega Evolutions, so we technically got different "forms" of Pokemon but they were still the same, and not many actually new Pokemon. Gen 7 so far has had Alola forms, Oricorio forms and now a split evolution, another case of technically the same Pokemon but they're different. In another couple of gens we're at 1,000 Pokemon, that's a LOT of work both in catching the Pokemon for players and distributing them across games for programmers. We have the virtual console and Pokemon bank to make it easier but 700+ is a huge, huge number no matter how you slice it.

DSDark

Breeder
Or Grass, Sandy and Trash Cloak Wormadam the same pokémon. OH WAIT...

Lets not act as if this is a new mechanic. Just the time-bit is different. The entire set-up was done before with Burmy, but based on location instead of time.

As for Lugarugan, I'm completely blown away by the Midday Form. The Night Form I'm less impressed by. It's the mane that turns me off, but I'm sure it'll settle in nicely.

My team for now consists of:

- Rowlet
- Midday Lugarugan
- Salandit
- Wishiwashi
- Mudsdale
- Jangmo-o

With the bench being:
- Cutiefly2
- Pikipek
- Bewear
- Komala
- Togedemaru
- Sensu-Oricorio

Still waiting for that Alolan Ice and Dark-type..

There's got to be a new ice type. There is a mountain covered in ice with some buildings on it. We'll have to be able to travel up there and on the way there will have to be some ice types.

Status
Not open for further replies.