• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodpeople25

I don't think so. I think Counter was just shown off to exemplify its stated fighting style, but it won't be a moves it ever bothers using.

Plenty of Pokemon are shown during pre-release that focus on certain moves and Abilities, despite them not making use of them. For example, Bunnelby was stated to learn Dig, and the X & Y site focused heavily on it, but it's not like Dig was its best move or something that Diggersby needed to use well to ensure viability.

I think that showing off Counter and mentioning its fighting style is just how GF/TPCI is choosing to hint at it having higher Attack and lower Speed (as well as possibly indicating that it has access to Fighting moves that its Midday Form can't learn).
In game, dig is it's most powerful ground move (bulldoze might be considered better sure) from 3rd gym to 8th though. (Or if you don't grab the tms or get their eariler. lvl 37-57) Counter might not even get something like that .

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Possibly, but with counter being it's sort of signature move at the moment, that would imply it has sustainability in some form thematically to use counter for a massive hit. If it has frail defenses it might ruin it's viability.

It also implies a high attack stat, so i'm betting over 125 there at least for Lycanroc Midnight. Maybe decent HP as well, who knows.

Yeah, that was the thing I was thinking too. This thing advertises Counter as its sig, but with that fighting weakness, I doubt that think will ever really use counter unless he's SUPER bulky. I suppose if he gets sturdy as a hidden ability, then that would make a bit more sense.

Bus

I can see the differences between Lycranroc Day & night being very little. Like some of some suggested already, it'll probably be similar to the other bipedal canine-type pokemon Zoroark & Lucario. Being Rock Type, I'm sure the defenses will naturally be a bit high, but the difference between the two will probably lie in one having high att & def while the other has that amount in SpA and SpeDf. i know a lot of people are expecting one to be faster than the other, but I think they're going to come out with the same speed in the end; just their offense and defense will be inverted.

WolfCypher

I can see the differences between Lycranroc Day & night being very little. Like some of some suggested already, it'll probably be similar to the other bipedal canine-type pokemon Zoroark & Lucario. Being Rock Type, I'm sure the defenses will naturally be a bit high, but the difference between the two will probably lie in one having high att & def while the other has that amount in SpA and SpeDf. i know a lot of people are expecting one to be faster than the other, but I think they're going to come out with the same speed in the end; just their offense and defense will be inverted.

It migt just be me, but I don't see either of them having high SpATK. All of the official website lore, Corocoro info, and how they've given Sun Lycanroc a signature speed move (plus I knew there had to be something behind them showing Rockruff attacking before Arcanine, a Pokémon that is supposed to represent speed in its own lore, in its Rockruff/Komala video) suggests Speed as its forté. Its Atk will probably be respectable, at least as high as Greninja's SpATK.

I also can see it being frail. Sure, its Rock-type, and Rock-types are stereotyped as having high Defenses, but they're also stereotyped as being slow, which Sun Lycanroc is not, and Lucario is a Steel-type who is rather frail. Aren't Steel-types infamously known generally for their huge bulk? If Lucario can be the Steel-type with average defenses, Sun Rockruff could be the Rock-type with average defenses.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
It migt just be me, but I don't see either of them having high SpATK. All of the official website lore, Corocoro info, and how they've given Sun Lycanroc a signature speed move (plus I knew there had to be something behind them showing Rockruff attacking before Arcanine, a Pokémon that isbsupposed to represent speed in its own lore in its Rockruff/Komala video) suggests Speed as its forte. Its Atk will probably be respectable, at least as high as Greninja's SpATK.

I also can see it being frail. Sure, its Rock-type, and Rock-types are stereotyped as having high Defenses, but they're also stereotyped as being slow, which Sun Lycanroc is not, and Lucario is a Steel-type who is rather frail. Aren't Steel-types infamously known generally for their huge bulk? If Lucario can be the Steel-type with average defenses, Sun Rockruff could be the Rock-type with average defenses.

Agreed. I think they won't be particularly bulky (in fact we know Lycanroc-MN won't be, at least physically), and the only difference stat-wise will be that their Attack and Speed will be swapped, with something like 120-125 Attack and 105ish Speed for Midnight, and 105ish Attack and 120-125 Speed for Midday.

And you are right, being a Rock-Type doesn't necessarily mean great Defense. For example, Lunatone is sitting at Base 65 Defense, and Rampardos has a piddly Base 60. Besides, Rock works best offensively anyway.

ItsMeBrandon

When I look at Lycanroc's different forms, I suspect there will be slight stat differences, even though I've heard some people who believe the stats won't change between the two.
To me it looks like Lycanroc Midday is going to be pretty balanced in stats while Lycanroc Midnight is going to emphasize offense slightly and have somewhat poorer defenses.

On another topic, I know that Pikipek is the typical early-game bird Pokémon, but I really like its design- probably more than any of the other early-game birds. I kind of hope we see its middle evolution if nothing else soon.

scififan21

I think it's a possibility they will have pre-evolve forms. I kind of want more version exclusive forms like Lycanroc does. Honestly even if I like one form more then another it adds such a unique spin on the games, much like the time differences do.

Last edited:

Charmander27

Very Melon
I think it's a possibility they will have pre-evolve forms. I kind of [want] more version exclusive forms like Lycanroc does. Honestly even if I like one form more then another it adds such a unique spin on the games, much like the time differences do.

I would like more version exclusives too. I think it would be nice to finally get two different games. More along the lines of Diamond to Platinum different, rather than Diamond to Pearl.

Julia Artemis

I think they'll evolve from the same pre- evolved form.

That's what I'm hoping for to. I think having two separate pokemon would be overkill. Really the Panpour/Pansage/Pansear would of been more interesting if they were the Eevee ape pokemon instead of what they actually were, sadly we didn't also get an electric ape which would of been so cool!

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
That's what I'm hoping for to. I think having two separate pokemon would be overkill. Really the Panpour/Pansage/Pansear would of been more interesting if they were the Eevee ape pokemon instead of what they actually were, sadly we didn't also get an electric ape which would of been so cool!

First off, they're monkeys, not apes. That said, we really do need a thunder monkey.

Secondly, Passimian and Oranguru will not have a shared pre-Evo. I'm not sure why people would think that they do, given that they're version exclusive Pokemon (not exclusive Forms like Lycanroc).

scififan21

Yeah good point with that so maybe two separate pre-evos, but still want more form exclusives as well. The wait until the fourth is going to take too long hoping for some more exclusives I doubt there would just be two/three if you count Lycanroc's different forms as one.

Luthor

First off, they're monkeys, not apes. That said, we really do need a thunder monkey.

Secondly, Passimian and Oranguru will not have a shared pre-Evo. I'm not sure why people would think that they do, given that they're version exclusive Pokemon (not exclusive Forms like Lycanroc).

I think that given their similarities (eg Both have head markings, both have white fur, both based on primates, Both have leaves on their body, same number of fingers.) it could be possible. I'm predicting that each type will require something exclusive to that game to evolve it. For me it's not that much of a stretch from exclusive forms to also have exclusive evolutions. It's a prediction not a certainty. But given they way they have made sure there are differences in time i don't find it an impossible stretch.

Feline

Why?
Oranguru better NOT have a pre-evo form. It's just too awesome! I was in love with it at first sight so fight me!

Julia Artemis

They were revealed along with Lycanroc. So I think it a valid theory that they could share a pre-evo

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Mimikyu is by far my favorite new Pokemon. I swear to God if it sucks in battle...

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
They were revealed along with Lycanroc. So I think it a valid theory that they could share a pre-evo

I think that given their similarities (eg Both have head markings, both have white fur, both based on primates, Both have leaves on their body, same number of fingers.) it could be possible. I'm predicting that each type will require something exclusive to that game to evolve it. For me it's not that much of a stretch from exclusive forms to also have exclusive evolutions. It's a prediction not a certainty. But given they way they have made sure there are differences in time i don't find it an impossible stretch.

I think that it is a stretch to have version exclusive Evos, since these are two Pokemon that are based on two radically different primates, and that have no shared Typing. Oh, and Oranguru has two possible Abilities, while Passimian only has one. While one split Evo having two Abilities while the other only has one is not unheard of, the other examples (Froslass and Gallade) are gender based Evos, which seems like an unlikely extra stipulation to add on top of version exclusivity.

We also happen to see a Level 21 Oranguru in the Japanese trailer, and that seems like any awfully low Level for these two to evolve at.

Oh, and Oranguru doesn't have any leaves on its body, just in the fan that it holds, but that's just a nit pick.

Oranguru better NOT have a pre-evo form. It's just too awesome! I was in love with it at first sight so fight me!

I don't think it will, though a tiny, little, baby orangutan would be adorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.