• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gorgon had cold blooded snakes for hair. Also, she could be defeated with her reflection and her beauty was stolen from her as punishment.

So maybe that?

TyLogic

I think the images might actually be linked. Sirens and Cleopatra are known for charming men. Medusa was a word for "female ruler" in Ancient Greek and Cleopatra was a female ruler. Medusa and her sisters are best known for turning heroes that came to slay them into stone. Plus Cleopatra killed herself by inciting a venomous snake to bite her, while the hair of Gorgons was made up of venomous snakes and even more of them were born from Medusa's blood after she was killed.
There is definitely a "female power to disarm/paralyze/charm males" theme going on.

I am however stumped at what the first picture is.

Well, bulbagarden has it as something related to a "nine-taled fox".

This is kind of hard to speculate on...

Orphalesion

Well, bulbagarden has it as something related to a "nine-taled fox".

This is kind of hard to speculate on...

Oh iirc Nine-Taled foxes are said to be able to transform into beautiful women and like to seduce unwary men into their doom. So even more "female power to control males"

glacialcat

Oh iirc Nine-Taled foxes are said to be able to transform into beautiful women and like to seduce unwary men into their doom. So even more "female power to control males"

Whiiiich... brings us right back to square one. We already knew female Salandits had the power to control men!

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Whiiiich... brings us right back to square one. We already knew female Salandits had the power to control men!

maybe the females will get more tails that gain mouths that can produce more pheremones and they can control as many as tails they have!

Orphalesion

Maybe that's the clue? We really need a more accurate translation of the text.

The only two additional tidbits I can offer is that three of the ladies also have a sea connection; Sirens are sea monsters, Cleopatra is said to have received Caesar "dressed as Aphrodite", which means she wore pearls and nothing else, a type of jewelry won from the sea and Medusa has two sea connections; 1) in an early Greek version she was the daughter of two marine gods and in a late Roman myth Medusa was raped by Neptune (god of the sea) and then was transformed into her monstrous form.

A seductress swimming in lava?

Julia Artemis

The only two additional tidbits I can offer is that three of the ladies also have a sea connection; Sirens are sea monsters, Cleopatra is said to have received Caesar "dressed as Aphrodite", which means she wore pearls and nothing else, a type of jewelry won from the sea and Medusa has two sea connections; 1) in an early Greek version she was the daughter of two marine gods and in a late Roman myth Medusa was raped by Neptune (god of the sea) and then was transformed into her monstrous form.

Not sure I like this idea, it makes me think of a lizard lava poisonous Jynx

TyLogic

We're forgetting one part friends...

Salandit-Salamander and Bandit.

The "bandit" part isn't really spoken of in the flavor text (Well, kind of). Maybe this is further emphasised. All of them seem to have "stealing men" in common, but Cleopatra doesn't seem to though. I think we can rule out Cleopatra.

Orphalesion

We're forgetting one part friends...

Salandit-Salamander and Bandit.

The "bandit" part isn't really spoken of in the flavor text (Well, kind of). Maybe this is further emphasised. All of them seem to have "stealing men" in common, but Cleopatra doesn't seem to though. I think we can rule out Cleopatra.

Well form a Roman perspective she was stealing Caesar and Marc Anthony away form Rome...

glacialcat

Well form a Roman perspective she was stealing Caesar and Marc Anthony away form Rome...

Yeah I'd say gorgon is the one that fits least. Cleopatra honestly seems the most likely to me, if only because it doesn't seem like it conflicts with any of Salandit's design choices (lizard, not bird nor snake nor fox).

TyLogic

Yeah I'd say gorgon is the one that fits least. Cleopatra honestly seems the most likely to me, if only because it doesn't seem like it conflicts with any of Salandit's design choices (lizard, not bird nor snake nor fox).

Well bandits are also bad or villainous (stereotypically). Was Cleopatra considered bad or villainous? (In a general sense)

Orphalesion

Well bandits are also bad or villainous (stereotypically). Was Cleopatra considered bad or villainous? (In a general sense)

Again, if you ask the Romans; yes. The Romans really weren't keen on anybody who wasn't Roman having power, much less a woman and some Roman historians invented myths about her legendary vanity, jealousy and cruelty.
If you ask anybody else; meh, not more so than any other ruler from that time.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

Cleopatra's relation with Salandit is that she used her feminine traits to affect the Egypt community, however her death was with a poisonuous lizard, which is simply indicating Salandit. Some people are referring the fact that its design on its back resembles the nile river due to starting from one point and seperating its routes.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur

The last line makes me think of Pele. She is the Hawaiian goddess of fire, lightning, wind and volcanoes, as well as the creator of the islands. I'm not sure she's seen as a seductress exactly, but she is definitely know for her dangerous mix of power and capriciousness, often acting out of jealousy. I could see Salandit's evo being at least partially based on her, whilst mixing in influences from Medusa, etc.

TyLogic

Again, if you ask the Romans; yes. The Romans really weren't keen on anybody who wasn't Roman having power, much less a woman and some Roman historians invented myths about her legendary vanity, jealousy and cruelty.
If you ask anybody else; meh, not more so than any other ruler from that time.

Well, I new from a Romans point of view...

Ok. Maybe it's all of them combined?
We gotta find out what one lacks that the others have. Cleopatra is still least likely in my opinion. The only thing she has is the whole ruler thing. And she only stole men from the perspective of Romans. I really think we can rule her out. Or do you guys feel we don't have enough to rule her out?

EDIT: Didn't realize she had all the connections. I thought no one knew how she died. I thought one speculation was a snake. Are snakes lizards?

I don't know. I kind of feel like I'm grasping at straws trying to compare it to Cleopatra...

Last edited:

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
Well, I new from a Romans point of view...

Ok. Maybe it's all of them combined?
We gotta find out what one lacks that the others have. Cleopatra is still least likely in my opinion. The only thing she has is the whole ruler thing. And she only stole men from the perspective of Romans. I really think we can rule her out. Or do you guys feel we don't have enough to rule her out?

EDIT: Didn't realize she had all the connections. I thought no one knew how she died. I thought one speculation was a snake. Are snakes lizards?

I don't know. I kind of feel like I'm grasping at straws trying to compare it to Cleopatra...
Snakes are not lizards, but a venomous reptile is close enough. Salandit is actually pretty strange because there are not many venomous lizards. One of the few is the Komodo dragon, which is what a lot of people are hypothesising Salandit will evolve into. As far as I know there isn't anything special about female Komodo dragons especially though...

glacialcat

Cleopatra's depiction has changed over time and through storyteller, but she is very commonly depicted as both an icon of beauty and a master manipulator of men, regardless of the actual historical truth of these.

Some accounts treat her as a seductress who led to the weakening of Rome and the destruction of the Triumvirate and the Republic, others treat her as a brilliant queen who attempted to use her beauty and charm to secure Egypt's safety from Rome, and to prevent Egypt from becoming a vassal state to Rome.

She had children with two of the most powerful people in Rome. One of her most famous stories involves wrapping herself in a carpet to avoid detection as people carried her into the Roman palace so she could ask for aid/seduce Cesar.

Roman historians have attempted to paint her as a lustful succubus that plotted to destroy Rome with her charm over men. Sympathetic portrayals have attempted to show her as a lovestruck starcrossed ruler of a powerful dynasty wrongly torn down by Octavian's forces.

The truth is likely in between, and she certainly didn't have magical charm powers. But Pokemon doesn't always concern itself with the truth so much as with cultural perceptions, and undoubtedly the cultural perception of Cleopatra is a woman who manipulated the hearts and minds of the two most powerful people on the planet.

I at least consider a Cleopatra connection as plausible as any of the others.

Last edited:

TyLogic

Snakes are not lizards, but a venomous reptile is close enough. Salandit is actually pretty strange because there are not many venomous lizards. One of the few is the Komodo dragon, which is what a lot of people are hypothesising Salandit will evolve into. As far as I know there isn't anything special about female Komodo dragons especially though...

I knew snakes weren't lizards! Thanks!

SIDE NOTE: I just thought of something. New pokemon have a separate pokedex number, even if they are related to another pokemon (evolution). We keep trying to compare Salandit to those four as if it's an alternate form, when we should be treating the riddle as a new pokemon altogether. Let's pretend that Salandit doesn't exist and try to change the question to make the answer a bit more evident. Instead of "which one of these will Salandit evolve into?", let's view it as "Which one of these will become a new pokemon?"

After that, we'll compare and contrast. As we can see from Popplio and Popplio3, evolutions can be vastly different from each other. This makes sense, right?

roserade the warrior

Well, it seems as if it is a rhetorical question. He's asking us which one Salandit will evolve into. I think the answer is one of the pictures. What catches my attention, is how they all look feminine. Maybe it's a female only evolution?

Or maybe it has 2 different evolutions according to gender. I read one leak saying that. I dont think is true, but who knows. That, or maybe salandits evolution is truly beautiful, but a dangerous beauty (and also seems to have to do with snakes).
All the women shown are beautiful and considered as such, but most are dangerous, even Medusa, was beautiful but was cursed by Aphrodite (or Venus, dont remember) for being so beautiful. In any case, Medusa was once beautiful, was cursed and became very ugly (so ugly she could petrify anyone that dared look her into her eyes: glare), going on a killing spree of everyone that tried to see her. The fox, according to what I read, is a spirit/demon that feeds on the hearts of humans in order to keep her lovely appearance (it seems that it could change form or learns some draining moves, dont know). Cleopatra was also considered very beautiful and was a powerful woman (being a pharaoh and all that), but the most interesting thing: she most likely died due to a cobra biting her (possibly indicating the design, or the "corrosion" ability, also: poison fang), this may or may not have been on purpose (indicating that salandit can poison itself being a poison type). The sirens have 2 forms: winged women with bird legs, and the famous mermaid ones (the picture provided ironically shows both, a mermaid with bird wings); in any of their forms they are beautiful semi-women that lure men with their voices (sometimes sleeping them: sing) to then rip them to pieces.
My guess for salandit evo is:
-Egyptian design. Maybe even cobra-like or similar to Cleopatra.
-Beautiful or attractive. Very likely women-like.
-Can get wings. Unlikely, but possible, specially if you take in account the 2 appendages behind salandits neck.

Edit: Ok, around 10 post before I completed mine, thats... a record xD

Last edited:

Orphalesion

even Medusa, was beautiful but was cursed by Aphrodite (or Venus, dont remember) for being so beautiful. In any case, Medusa was once beautiful, was cursed and became very ugly
That would be Venus, since it's the Roman version (I think it's the one where she actually lived near a lake in Italy). In the Greek version she was always ugly. But still the Roman version is just as valid as the Greek one.

My guess for salandit evo is:
-Egyptian design. Maybe even cobra-like or similar to Cleopatra.
-Beautiful or attractive. Very likely women-like.
-Can get wings. Unlikely, but possible, specially if you take in account the 2 appendages behind salandits neck.
[/Quote]

lo-ve it! ^-^ Didn't even consider that those things could become wings!

Status
Not open for further replies.