• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orphalesion

Ah, someone who knows that painting as well! I'm taking Intro to Humanities in college right now, so we talked about The Birth of Venus in class.

Wait...who doesn't know the Birth of Venus? It's one of the most famous paintings in history... Though personally I prefer Primavera.

Good idea to link it to Tapu Fini though, hadn't thought of that.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Wait...who doesn't know the Birth of Venus? It's one of the most famous paintings in history... Though personally I prefer Primavera.

Good idea to link it to Tapu Fini though, hadn't thought of that.

Yeah, it definitely fits, adding another layer to Tapu Fini's origin.

Though I now expect fanart of a graceful, elegant, synchronized swimming team consisting of Vaporeon, Milotic, Primarina, and Tapu Fini. Get on it, Internet!

pokefreakceetje

Is turtonator halfly based on the Thorny dragon? It looks a bit like that animal.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Is turtonator halfly based on the Thorny dragon? It looks a bit like that animal.
I don't think it is. But that would be an awesome inspiration for a pokemon. I think Turtonator came from the concept of both a landmine and a species of spiny turtle? Could be wrong though.
A thorny devil/dragon would make for a great pokemon. They're such a unique species of reptile. And could easily be a Ground type with Water Absorb to reflect their unique adaptions.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
I'd say it's possible there was some inspiration, particularly in regards to the spikiness. The Mata Mata has ridges, but not really spikes like Turtonator does. But it could just be designed to look like a mine in the middle of exploding.

I don't think it is. But that would be an awesome inspiration for a pokemon. I think Turtonator came from the concept of both a landmine and a species of spiny turtle? Could be wrong though.
A thorny devil/dragon would make for a great pokemon. They're such a unique species of reptile. And could easily be a Ground type with Water Absorb to reflect their unique adaptions.
It would indeed. It could even have a Bug-type absorb ability, a la Sap Sipper, as it eats thousands of ants every day. Although, I guess Bug moves aren't usually actual insects flying at you (except the Order moves), so maybe that wouldn't make so much sense. If they did do it, Heatmor should totally get it too.

Owl City

Something that bugs me... BESIDES Decidueye looking like an evolved Hawlucha... its Silvally's name... It is not related to Sillicon Valley?....? I mean.. Why Silver Ally makes more sense?

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
Something that bugs me... BESIDES Decidueye looking like an evolved Hawlucha... its Silvally's name... It is not related to Sillicon Valley?....? I mean.. Why Silver Ally makes more sense?

Because Silicon Valley is famous for being home to lots of technology companies and isn't really related to genetic research at all.

glacialcat

Well its Japanese name is basically "Silver buddy" and the German name is basically "Argent (Silver) Amigo," so it is definitely Silver Ally.

As to why it makes sense... well, it is white/gray with a metallic silver beak, and its description is:

When Type: Null gains a partner it can trust, it deliberately destroys the restraining device it wears. Once released from that heavy mask, the Pokémon’s speed increases substantially. Freed of the restraining effects of its mask, Silvally’s senses are heightened, and it reverts to its natural temperament. It has a wild nature, but it will obey a Trainer that it trusts. And to protect that Trainer from danger, it will put its own life on the line.

Sounds like an Ally to me.

Owl City

Well its Japanese name is basically "Silver buddy" and the German name is basically "Argent (Silver) Amigo," so it is definitely Silver Ally.

As to why it makes sense... well, it is white/gray with a metallic silver beak, and its description is:

When Type: Null gains a partner it can trust, it deliberately destroys the restraining device it wears. Once released from that heavy mask, the Pokémon’s speed increases substantially. Freed of the restraining effects of its mask, Silvally’s senses are heightened, and it reverts to its natural temperament. It has a wild nature, but it will obey a Trainer that it trusts. And to protect that Trainer from danger, it will put its own life on the line.

thank you all. NOW i can rest asure.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer

Also I've heard it may tie into the alchemy theme, that Silvally's silver aspect is the metal that is right below gold (Arceus) in purity/hierarchy, symbolic of how Silvally is a good, if imperfect, impersonation of Arceus' powers and abilities.

BlackRaven

Go Charizard!!!!
At first the idea of type null evolving was at first repulsive to me. I thought, mega mewtwo returns.

But to be honest, silvally isn't really an evolution is it. He just removes his restrictions on himself

Aetius

At first the idea of type null evolving was at first repulsive to me. I thought, mega mewtwo returns.

But to be honest, silvally isn't really an evolution is it. He just removes his restrictions on himself

Actually it becomes a bit taller.
But I do agree, it's a very unconventional evolution when its appearance doesn't change too much from its previous stage. XD

fubufubu

Does anyone else still find it strange that we went from a name like Type: Null, which sounds like a codename given to a test subject, (like the Zygarde cores being referred to as Z1 and Z2) to a more "traditional" Pokemon-esque name like Silvally?

Baggie_Saiyan

Not like Type:Null and Silvally though.
But I might remember wrong, so you could you make a few examples please? :D

Maybe not but some mons like Grimer to Muk just got more sludgeyer lol. Diglitt to Dugtrio basically just got two extra heads so I can live with this. Tbh I'm glad it's an evo, wish they'd change Whisiwashi to have actual evo I get the idea behind it and the whole school form thing but it's school form looks too good to not be it's own mon.

Paul1985

Ana de Armas fan
What type do we think that spiky sea anomone will be from the TCG? Water/poison I'm guessing?

I agree I think it might be a Water/Poison type as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.