• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodpeople25

It's an obvious association sure, but as a type combo when pokemon only get two types and flying exists as a type? And type combo isn't the only way to create/show an association, quite a few dragon types learn flamethrower in at least one stage of their lines (probably would count as most, Especially if you take out the more obvious logical exceptions, like the grass types.)

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The love/hate for Gen 5 comes from when people started playing. Everyone I knew who started playing in Gen I or II hates Gen 5 for several reasons. Designs, the sheer number of new Pokemon (more than there were in Gen 1, for crying out loud) and the inability to get any of the old favorites until late in the game annoyed a bunch of people. The Gen III people love it. Me? Not a fan for multiple reasons, but to each their own.

I liked it BECAUSE I got to see nothing but new faces, and I started in Generation I. Functionally, Woobat may have served the same purpose as Zubat, and Frillish the same as Tentacool, but it was a breath of fresh air to see someone else for once. Having returning Pokémon felt like filler to me.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I will say though that Lurantis was a big waste of potential in my opinion. Aside from being slow, its highest stat is only 105, its movepool is small with the only way to hit Steel types is Brick Break, and the only thing it has to abuse Contrary is Leaf Storm but why use that when Serperior does its job better? It has a cool design in my opinion and Defog is nice but between Lurantis and Tsareena, I'd personally would rather use the latter due to having better stats all around, Queenly Majesty, and getting cool things like Trop Kick, High Jump Kick, and U-Turn.

Baggie_Saiyan

Eurghhh the Alolan Geodude line is uglyyy. Golem looks the best if only they got rid of the beard the other two no way. They weren't the best designed line anyway but here they look super ugly. No wonder this and the Diglett line wasn't formally revealed.

ebevan91

I will say though that Lurantis was a big waste of potential in my opinion. Aside from being slow, its highest stat is only 105, its movepool is small with the only way to hit Steel types is Brick Break, and the only thing it has to abuse Contrary is Leaf Storm but why use that when Serperior does its job better? It has a cool design in my opinion and Defog is nice but between Lurantis and Tsareena, I'd personally would rather use the latter due to having better stats all around, Queenly Majesty, and getting cool things like Trop Kick, High Jump Kick, and U-Turn.

I used Lurantis in my playthrough and it was surprisingly good defensively. Most of my team would get OHKO'd but Lurantis didn't most of the time. But yeah its movepool is straight garbage.

TyLogic

I like Minior and Ribombee, though the latter is a little too frail.

Orphalesion

The love/hate for Gen 5 comes from when people started playing. Everyone I knew who started playing in Gen I or II hates Gen 5 for several reasons. Designs, the sheer number of new Pokemon (more than there were in Gen 1, for crying out loud) and the inability to get any of the old favorites until late in the game annoyed a bunch of people. The Gen III people love it. Me? Not a fan for multiple reasons, but to each their own.

This is such an overdone argument that I don't even know why I bother to respond.

My first Pokemon game was blue when I was five years old. I've played Silver and Sapphire, took a break during Pearl/Diamond/Platinum and returned with Black. And 5 is my favorite gen because it's number and that it wasn't bogged down with shoving old Pokemon in your face. I don't care about catching Pikachu and even with my "old favourites" I already had ample chance to catcha nd use them in older games. Ninetales was my first favourite Pokemon, but I haven't used it since Silver because...why? Why use the same character over and over again? Alola is the first time since Johto I'm having a Ninetales on my team again because of the Alolan Form.

I also loved the designs. In my eyes each generation has improved the designs, another reason why I am kind disappointing that the last two gens were small; we only got less than hundred excellently designed Alola and Kalos mon each, but we have 150 often rather bland Kanto mons from the time when Sugimori only had access to 12 watercolors and "Three Diglets next to each other" counted as an evolution. yay.

Galvantula1992

Water/bug is a type combo that was sorely needed. Being as most Pokemon are based on animals and there are a boatload of bugs that live in the water, the fact that we only had one before Gen VII is a bit shocking.

That being said, we finally got a fire/dragon that isn't a mega or a legendary. That may have been one of the most obvious combos out there, at least from Western mythology.

There are a few other type combos that showed up for the first time. Ice/fighting, rock and fairy, rock/electric, fairy/bug and ghost, normal/dark and dragon, dragon/fighting, poison/fire and rock, and once Marshadow gets released, fighting/ghost. That's a total of 12 new type combinations.

There are 13 new type combinations this generation:

Fighting/Ice - Crabominable
Bug/Fairy - Cutiefly/Ribombee
Poison/Fire - Salandit/Salazzle
Ghost/Fairy - Mimikyu
Normal/Dragon - Drampa
Dragon/Fighting - Hakamo-o/Kommo-o
Rock/Poison - Nihilego
Fighting/Ghost - Marshadow
Dark/Normal - Alolan Rattata/Raticate
Electric/Psychic - Alolan Raichu
Ice/Steel - Alolan Sandshrew/Sandslash
Ice/Fairy - Alolan Ninetails
Rock/Electric - Alolan Geodude/Graveler/Golem

With that being said, there are 25 left:

Bug/Dark
Bug/Dragon
Bug/Ice
Bug/Normal
Bug/Psychic
Dark/Electric
Dark/Fairy
Electric/Fighting
Electric/Poison
Fairy/Fighting
Fairy/Fire
Fairy/Ground
Fairy/Poison
Fighting/Ground
Fire/Grass
Fire/Ice
Ghost/Normal
Ghost/Rock
Ice/Normal
Ice/Poison
Normal/Poison
Normal/Rock
Normal/Steel
Poison/Psychic
Poison/Steel

Interesting fact: Gen 6 gave us no new Bug-type combinations and Gen 7 only gave us one (Bug/Fairy) - upsetting for me, as Bug is my favourite type. There were no new Bug-type combinations in Gen 4, neither. We've gone 4 generations (Gens 4-7) with Bug only being paired with 3 types and the Fairy-type didn't even exist before Gen 6! I really hope we get Bug/Dark and Bug/Psychic covered next gen.

I also wanted a banshee to be Ghost/Fairy.

phanpycross

God-king
Interesting fact: Gen 6 gave us no new Bug-type combinations and Gen 7 only gave us one (Bug/Fairy) - upsetting for me, as Bug is my favourite type. There were no new Bug-type combinations in Gen 4, neither. We've gone 4 generations (Gens 4-7) with Bug only being paired with 3 types and the Fairy-type didn't even exist before Gen 6! I really hope we get Bug/Dark and Bug/Psychic covered next gen.

I also wanted a banshee to be Ghost/Fairy.
Bug was one of the better treated types this gen.

4 new lines, 2 argubly new combos(since surkuit loses water on Evolution), and 2 Ultra Beasts.

That's fantastic compared to Fire, Ice and Poison.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
This is such an overdone argument that I don't even know why I bother to respond.

My first Pokemon game was blue when I was five years old. I've played Silver and Sapphire, took a break during Pearl/Diamond/Platinum and returned with Black. And 5 is my favorite gen because it's number and that it wasn't bogged down with shoving old Pokemon in your face. I don't care about catching Pikachu and even with my "old favourites" I already had ample chance to catcha nd use them in older games. Ninetales was my first favourite Pokemon, but I haven't used it since Silver because...why? Why use the same character over and over again? Alola is the first time since Johto I'm having a Ninetales on my team again because of the Alolan Form.

I also loved the designs. In my eyes each generation has improved the designs, another reason why I am kind disappointing that the last two gens were small; we only got less than hundred excellently designed Alola and Kalos mon each, but we have 150 often rather bland Kanto mons from the time when Sugimori only had access to 12 watercolors and "Three Diglets next to each other" counted as an evolution. yay.

I don't know if this is a minority opinion, but I definitely feel the same way 100% about the Generation V Pokémon: My "old favorites" can wait until I'm done with the game. From an artistic standpoint, there are also plenty of Generation V Pokémon I really like, like the Darumaka line, the Cottonnee line, the Petilil line, the Golett line, the Scraggy line, the Joltik line, the Solosis line, the Elgyem line, etc. (Some are on the conceptual level though--I like what they did with water bears for the Solosis line--it's about time we had a Pokémon themed on a microorganism.) And from a gameplay perspective, there was a sense of newness and discovery in Pokémon Black and White I hadn't felt in a long time. And I had so many ideas about what to put on my team that I spent hours trying to decide what would stay and what would go. It was glorious.

For me, a major reason I'm playing a new generation of Pokémon games is to experience and use the new Pokémon. Personally, there is little reason for me to use a Pokémon I had already used before (unless I like it that much, but there are very few Pokémon that fulfill that role). It's why I'm always disappointed in seeing generations past V be pretty small.

I can understand it though: Generation V had the fewest standout Pokémon of any generation in proportion to size. Pokémon people took a real liking to during its own time, like Durant and Keldeo, seem to have since all fallen by the wayside the moment X and Y came out. Perhaps to other people, new Pokémon stand out more when placed in a crowd of old Pokémon. Dhelmise stands out more if mixed in with larger quantities of Magikarps and Wailmers than if it was just itself and Wishiwashi, for instance. But me, old Pokémon feel like filler. Been there, done that.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Bug was one of the better treated types this gen.

4 new lines, 2 arguably new combos(since Surskit loses water on Evolution), and 2 Ultra Beasts.

That's fantastic compared to Fire, Ice and Poison.

Masquerain and Ariados also gained stat buffs, and the latter gained a special signature move.

Though I can't say I agree with latter comment, I think they are decently enough.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate

I think Lurantis will benefit immensely when Move tutors come around (if Game Freak is nice to it).

From the standard pool of Tutor Moves it should get at least: Knock Off, Super Power, and maybe several special moves to abuse with Contrary. (Like a mixed attacker with Superpower, Leaf Storm, Knock Off, Filler Move).

Baggie_Saiyan

Lurantis has potential. Contrary was disappointing Chlorophyll would have been better. Still tho 125 power physical Grass move with 100% accuracy isn't anything to scof at.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm actually surprised with how useful a lot of these new Pokémon are. When I saw their stats and read the comments on Smogon Forums, I thought that most of these new Pokémon were going to be completely useless, but so many of them have saved my life in battle time & time again. I was especially impressed since ones I didn't really like before such as Toucannon & Alolan Persian have actually been my most reliable Pokémon at times & have now bumped up to some of my new favorites

Last edited:

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Are they that rare a sight? I know peoplereally like using Protean Greninja, but I would've suspected a Pokémon with a base stat total of 620 and a very high Speed would see SOME use too.

(As for me, my teams are full of Pokémon that Smogon puts onto NU and lower. Not entirely, but the most forgotten and most disliked Pokémon tend to wind up there.)

I second what BlazingRagnarok said about having to get a KO to "Mega-evolve" and a lot of people said A-G is a glass cannon so that's hard to pull off. I asked my competitive friends about him and they all said about the same thing, mainly that he's too frail, but I wanna see what I can do with him for fun. There's also the fact that he's not in the regional dex that holds him back this year.

I just love the concept. Pokemon Yellow was based off the anime but it was still open to interpretation - you could name your character something besides Ash and build a team that looked nothing like his in the anime. Ash-Greninja seems like the first Pokemon to come directly from the anime, and I love the crossover meta-discussion.

@Galvantula1992: Looking at these unused type combinations I'm amazed some of these still haven't been adapted yet. Some of the dual types don't seem natural together but some really do. I could easily see Ground/Fighting being an MMA-style ground grappling mon. Too bad for that 4x Flying weakness though. And Smogon CAP did a solid job with Pyroar for Fire/Grass considering we have Water/Grass and a Water/Fire (though it is a legendary).

Last edited:

utlhmsus

Yeah, Crabominable being the only new one makes me hope the Generation VIII region will be set somewhere cold where there can be a lot of new Ice-types. (In particular, I'm thinking of Scandinavia, Switzerland, Nuvanut, or Kamchatka.)

Then again, Generation VI only had one new Bug-type evolutionary line, which is all sorts of weird.

Is that what people say? I found Generation V to be one of my favorites because there were so many to pick from that I really liked.

I'd love to see a region based off of Iceland. It would be a great fit too; the ideal size compared to the other regions, one large city with an array of smaller towns, amazing landscape, and some interesting wildlife to choose from.

Vector88

I'm actually surprised with how useful a lot of these new Pokémon are. When I saw their stats and saw the comments on Smogon Forums, I thought that most of these new Pokémon were going to be completely useless, but so many of them have saved my life in battle time & time again. I was especially impressed since ones I didn't really like before such as Toucannon & Alolan Persian have actually been my most reliable Pokémon at times & have now bumped up to some of my new favorites

Same happened with me. At first I got a Pikipek to have a flying mon till I got a ghost Oricorio...but as I progressed through the game, I ended liking Toucannon. Same happened with Lurantis...I caught a Fomantis for temporal use to defeat Olivia, but as I kept progressing, I ended liking it and kept it in the team. Then in the post game I got a shiny one with contrary through Wonder Trade :)

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
@ Galvantule1992

If we ever get a Poison/Fairy Pokémon, I hope it's loosely based off of Baikinman. He's a villainous, devilish character staple in the hugely successful series Anpanman (something akin to Garfield in the US), and he's even referenced in Pokémon! The sprites for Nightmare, Lovely Kiss, and Spite in GSC all have Baikinman's silhouette in their animations. So a Fairy that's also Poison would be a perfect nod to his pop cultural success. That combo would also have some pretty outstanding resists, the weaknesses to Psychic, Steel, and Ground could easily be surmounted.

Baggie_Saiyan

Same happened with me. At first I got a Pikipek to have a flying mon till I got a ghost Oricorio...but as I progressed through the game, I ended liking Toucannon. Same happened with Lurantis...I caught a Fomantis for temporal use to defeat Olivia, but as I kept progressing, I ended liking it and kept it in the team. Then in the post game I got a shiny one with contrary through Wonder Trade :)

This is why I never planned In game teams beforehand. Used to happen to me all the time before using Mons I never planned. Never for the life of me did I ever think I'm gonna pick up a Wimpod other than for Pokedex.

DJStarstryker

Because of work getting in the way reasons, I'm going super slow through the game. I've had the game since November 19th and I still haven't fought the second island's kahuna (that's next for me though). So this makes me glad that the QR code for Magearna doesn't expire, as it requires being champion. There's no way I'm getting that today, or even by this weekend.

Do you guys think the alternate coloring will actually be released outside of Japan? Normally I like the original colors of most Pokemon - yes, even more than most shiny versions. But I really like the Pokeball version of Magearna for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.