• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FowTech95

Random Passerby
I'm definitely loving the Bugs this Gen. And I hardly ever have them on my team. Maybe once a generation. This gen I got both Golisopod and Chargabug on my team. Right now I'm at vast Poni canyon

If I could get some quick suggestions : Right now im trying to decide whether to level up Charja to 49 to get iron defense or just go and let it evolve while I'm there. It's at 36 right now and really don't know if it's worth it or not to teach iron defense?

It's up to you. If it's just in-game, I see no reason against it since Vikavolt has decent Defense. On the topic of Bug-types, I was surprised that most of them are actually good not just in-game but competitive as well. Despite its appearance, Araquanid is a surprisingly good mon with Water Bubble. Vikavolt, on the other hand, is quite disappointing (at least its Speed stat) but may be a decent mon when Trick Room is up.

BCVM22

It would seem to me that with Vikavolt's low Speed but monster Special Attack, there's more value in evolving it to Vikavolt sooner as opposed to later, and in engineering it to hit as hard as it can, as soon as it can. Iron Defense on a Pokémon that's going to go second more often than not isn't going to do you a ton of good if you're running the risk of getting OHKO'd or close to it on the first turn, before you can get a shot off. In-game especially, there's no need to waste a spot on Iron Defense when Vikavolt can learn a useful attack like Flash Cannon via TM.

Someone with a better strategic mind than mine might tell you differently, though.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Regarding Vikavolt, indeed, boosting Defense on an already slow Pokémon won't do you much good without a healing move, which Vikavolt does not have. Rather, I'd suggest evolving it to Vikavolt and letting it learn Agility at Level 49.

I've crunched the numbers before, as I've been eyeing Vikavolt to use in online battling. While it's extremely unlikely your Vikavolt has the maximum possible Speed, with a +Speed Nature, a perfect IV in Speed, and maximum Effort Points in Speed, after one Agility, Vikavolt can outrun anything base 135 Speed or below provided they don't have Speed boosts. (For reference, the Pokémon with a base 135 Speed are Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny.)

goodpeople25

Every pokemon pretty much has a built in healing move when used in-game though.

Of course in regards to this case now pokemon can also get built in iron defence instead of built in harden so yeah, depends on where you want to put your item resources and how much a move slot is worth to you.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Whoa, you're right, it can. Maybe I will use it in one of my upcoming teams. I gotta at least finish this current one before I work that one out though.

venetrix

Kaiju trainer
Anyone else think Game Freak missed a trick not giving Mimikyu multiple forms? It's dressed as another Pokemon - why does it always have to be Pikachu?

FowTech95

Random Passerby
Anyone else think Game Freak missed a trick not giving Mimikyu multiple forms? It's dressed as another Pokemon - why does it always have to be Pikachu?

The lore always states that it dresses up as a Pikachu to gain friends, not other Pokémon. Because of that, it always wears a Pikachu costume and nothing more. Though, I wanted to see it under the cloth in its Busted form but I don't think it would be good for our eyes...

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
The lore always states that it dresses up as a Pikachu to gain friends, not other Pokémon. Because of that, it always wears a Pikachu costume and nothing more. Though, I wanted to see it under the cloth in its Busted form but I don't think it would be good for our eyes...

However note how 1) Gamefreak have introduced "regional variants" and the birds of each region are well adapted to them:they are more than aware of how Pokemon may differ biologically from region to region and 2) In some of the regions you can't find Pikachu: Their are Pikachu clones, and they could be more popular in those regions as a result. Since it took Pikachu as its form in Alola, which is specifically mentioned to be quite popular there, it wouldn't be stretch to create forms of other Pikachu clones for each region for Mimikyu to take on. I think it'd be quite interesting. I love the concept of Mimikyu and adding this would just complete the idea for me.

I'd just like to ask a quick question of you all...

araquanid.jpg

+ Awesome water spider design. We get water spiders in this country! Glad to see Gamefreak acknowledging British wildlife.
+ Water Bubble grants IMMUNITY TO BURN and double the power for all water type attacks BEFORE STAB! (mathematically it wouldn't matter, but please, lemme emphasise my point!)
+ Decent bulk.
+ Quick to evolve!
+ Lana uses one <3
- Poor movepool.
- Has lots of strong-ish bug STAB attacks, but can only make use of Leech Life effectively.
- Some people have arachnophobia! :O
- SLOW :[

golisopod.jpg

+ Awesome isopod design. I'm loving the obscure crustaceans finally getting attention!
+ Utilises both of its STABs well, including priority moves of both types.
+ Has a nice movepool, including some cool coverage options and moves like Swords Dance to make it hit even harder.
+ Nice physical bulk.
+ Guzma uses one!
- Emergency Exit feels like a hindrance most of time.
- A 6 ft tall ISOPOD is bloody terrifying! I am scared of spiders but I'd rather run into Araquanid than this thing!
- A nightmare to train up from Wimpod.
- SLOW :[

Which of this generation's Water/Bug types do you prefer? I prefer Araquanid myself.

Last edited:

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Which of this generation's Water/Bug types do you prefer? I prefer Araquanid myself.

Araquanid. There's just something about spider Pokémon that I love, despite the fact that I absolutely hate spiders in real life. Maybe it's because they're not actually arachnids... I think the lack of a 4th pair of legs really helps lol. On the other hand, I think Golisopod is just weird-looking. idk, there's nothing about its design that I particularly like.

Orphalesion

I really wanted to love the Isopod pokemon (because woodlice are some of the few animals that freak me out in real life ha) but I can't get over it's ability.

So I'd say Aquanid, it's cool and creepy and it sorta looks like an alien from ben 10.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Golisopod is easily my favorite non-Legendary, non-Starter Alola Pokemon, also my all-time favorite Bug-Type. I love that thing so much. It has one of the coolest designs I've ever seen in a Pokemon. I was disappointed about it's ability at first too, but after using it in my playthrough, I've found good ways to put it to use.

jginz1

Shiny Hunter
I'm not usually a big fan of legendaries, but man Tapu Koko is amazing. It is the only legendary to appear at the beginning of the game and it's the first legendary you catch after becoming champion. It is also the best designed Tapu (Tapu Bulu being a close second).

My favorite non-legendary pokemon is probably Rockruff because he's just so dang cute.

My least favorite pokemon is definitely Araquanid. When I first encountered it in Malie Gardens I exclaimed "What is that thing??". Dewpider is ok though

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Oh? Okay, any tips on using it effectively?

It's not something that I can really explain exactly how to do, but combing Emergency Exit with First Impression in the right ways can be a force to be reckoned with. With Golisopod's high physical attack and speed priority from First Impression, it can one-hit many opponents, especially if said opponents have a weakness to Bug. You've really just got to get used to judging when the right to time to send it in is. If you send it at the right time it will deal some massive damage and then retreat back with Emergency Exit, allowing you to repeat the process. Even better is if you can one-hit the opponent, and call back Golisopod yourself without it taking any damage. To sum it up, you pretty much just develop an instinct on how best to use while playing with it on your team.

Of course, this just for in-game purposes. I have no idea how well Golisopod works for competitive battling.

FowTech95

Random Passerby
My least favorite pokemon is definitely Araquanid. When I first encountered it in Malie Gardens I exclaimed "What is that thing??". Dewpider is ok though

Araquanid is surprisingly good despite its appearance. Previous posts explains it all. It's one of the Pokémon I can't wait to raise and use in competitive play.

XXD17

Draco rex

Mimikyu was created as a gag...it's a terribly lonely Pokémon and wants friends...we know that pikachu gets a "clone" every gen which is generally well-received and popularized in one way or another...mimikyu is therefore a nod to that trend where it tries to be a pikaclone by pretending to be pikachu...what makes this gag hit home though is that we still got a real pikaclone this gen with togedemaru so mimikyu is still left as a hopelessly lonely Pokémon.

Orphalesion

It's not something that I can really explain exactly how to do, but combing Emergency Exit with First Impression in the right ways can be a force to be reckoned with. With Golisopod's high physical attack and speed priority from First Impression, it can one-hit many opponents, especially if said opponents have a weakness to Bug. You've really just got to get used to judging when the right to time to send it in is. If you send it at the right time it will deal some massive damage and then retreat back with Emergency Exit, allowing you to repeat the process. Even better is if you can one-hit the opponent, and call back Golisopod yourself without it taking any damage. To sum it up, you pretty much just develop an instinct on how best to use while playing with it on your team.

Of course, this just for in-game purposes. I have no idea how well Golisopod works for competitive battling.

Ah okay, I might try that out when I restart.

And don't worry about competitive, I don't really do that ;-)

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

The fact that the Eject Button is sometimes used in competitive battling says a lot about how valuable getting a free switch out can be. I haven't used Wimpod or Golisopod myself, so I don't know if you're allowed to pick whom to replace Golisopod, but definitely, a second chance to use First Impression is quite valuable.

Golisopod is also bulky enough to withstand most super-effective attacks, so Emergency Exit is also a good way to escape from a bad match-up and come back later when things are more favorable.

Emergency Exit works quite well with Healing Wish as well: If Golisopod has retreated due to Emergency Exit, and you use Healing Wish later into the match, you can bring Golisopod back as your next Pokémon, and it will get the opportunity to use Emergency Exit again, and potentially a third use of First Impression. Of course, for similar reasons, plain old Wish can work too, but you have to do the actual switching yourself.

For the record, I don't really play competitively either. I play in a kind of weird twilight zone where I use Pokémon regardless of tiers (besides Uber) and I prefer playing in Free Battles because I see a greater variety of opponents there, though I'll take them to Ranked every now and then, where I get a pretty even win-loss ratio. But because of the Pokémon I use, it's very important I know a lot about how to use every Pokémon in the game, because my teams run on "Know your opponents better than they know themselves."

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The fact that the Eject Button is sometimes used in competitive battling says a lot about how valuable getting a free switch out can be. I haven't used Wimpod or Golisopod myself, so I don't know if you're allowed to pick whom to replace Golisopod, but definitely, a second chance to use First Impression is quite valuable.

You do get to chose who replaces it. I don't think even i would be able to stand using it if something random was brought out in its place.

Golisopod is also bulky enough to withstand most super-effective attacks, so Emergency Exit is also a good way to escape from a bad match-up and come back later when things are more favorable.

Mine must have had a poor defense stat then, because it seemed like one strong Rock-Type attack would beat it in one hit. It could take almost everything else, but not Rock-Types.

Status
Not open for further replies.