• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I think Pyukumuku is the breakout "cute" Pokemon of this gen.

I like it, but I think the real breakout ones this time were Mimikyu and Alolan Vulpix. Then again, that also depends on your definition of "breakout," considering Mimikyu was marketed a lot and Alolan Vulpix has a major role in the anime.

Pyukumuku is one of my favourite Alola Pokemon. It's cry alone does it for me. I really need to EV train one even if it's a terrible Pokemon in battle. It's just too cute to not have.

I always have the sound on when I do the Pyukumuku chucking just to hear its cry over and over.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I always have the sound on when I do the Pyukumuku chucking just to hear its cry over and over.

Same here! I absolutely love its cry. It's the cutest thing ever.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i like Pyukumuku's design too but i do feel sorry for it. we constantly throw them back into the ocean each day. cant we just gently place them back into the water? id love to battle competetivly with Pyukumuku but its stats and moves dont do too well.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Oh, Pyukumuku most definitely has its uses. It's one of those Pokémon that, if the opponent ever gives it an inch, will go a mile.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
i like Pyukumuku's design too but i do feel sorry for it. we constantly throw them back into the ocean each day. cant we just gently place them back into the water? id love to battle competetivly with Pyukumuku but its stats and moves dont do too well.

If its dumb enough to starve rather than leave a spot it likes, I say that's too good for it. They're like pandas

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Oh, Pyukumuku most definitely has its uses. It's one of those Pokémon that, if the opponent ever gives it an inch, will go a mile.

yeah, ive seen a soak Pyukumuku sweep on YT already, sure it was status and boosted stats but it sure did it.

If its dumb enough to starve rather than leave a spot it likes, I say that's too good for it. They're like pandas

im sure other animals do spend a lot of time in a particular spot if the conditions are good. if the going gets tough then its going to be a problem for them.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I have this idea that the core of Minior is actually kind of soft, which is why its defenses drop so much. Also, was surprised to learn the core is based off a kind of candy

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Those candies aren't very good though. As far as Japanese hard candies go, Sakuma Drops are a lot better.

I do hope there'll be a Minior plush. To my knowledge, there hasn't been one yet.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that Togedemaru should learn more Steel-type moves than just Gyro Ball (which it is too fast to properly use).

Galvantula1992

Has anyone noticed the following:

Kalos introduced: 72 new Pokémon+ 28 Mega Evolutions = 100 Pokémon
Alola introduced: 81 new Pokémon + 18 Alola Forms = 99 Pokémon

Do you think there is any chance that there is one more event legendary (beyond Magearna and Marshadow) that no-one knows about yet that will be revealed later? It would bring the number up to a nice round 100, just like Kalos.

gliscor&yanmega

Do you think there is any chance that there is one more event legendary (beyond Magearna and Marshadow) that no-one knows about yet that will be revealed later? It would bring the number up to a nice round 100, just like Kalos.
I doubt it. Don't think they care about having nice round numbers and as such wouldn't affect how many Pokemon they make.

Akashin

There's the possibility that a future Gen VII game could theoretically include more Alola Forms (or Sinnoh Forms or whatever, for people thinking in that direction), but I doubt it'd only be one. There's little chance of there being something they've hidden away, though; there aren't any more new Pokemon for sure, because they'd have been found in the datamine if they existed.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

That's probably a coincidence. On another note, anyone notice that of all the Pokemon that evolve via max happiness, the two with the lowest base happiness of 0 are Buneary and Type: Null? Not sure what Buneary's problem is, but it makes perfect sense for Type: Null to have such a low base happiness when you consider its backstory

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
I like Crabrawler, but I have no idea why did GameFreak set the evolution area so late in the game. This happens with many other Pokemon, and I have no rational ideas why. Testing out Vikavolt will be a long process.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I like Crabrawler, but I have no idea why did GameFreak set the evolution area so late in the game. This happens with many other Pokemon, and I have no rational ideas why. Testing out Vikavolt will be a long process.

My guess is that in both instances that they wanted them to have location-based evolutions, but it just happened to turn out that the options for snow and electromagnetic field areas where at the end of the game, leaving them with no other choice. They weren't going to randomly throw in a snowy area somewhere else in the game just so that Crabrawler can evolve earlier.

for what it's worth though, I do agree with you, at least on Vikavolt. I normally enjoy using the "basic bug" of the region early on in the game, and Vikavolt is easily my favorite of the basic bugs. But a major part of the appeal of the basic bug is getting a third stage Pokemon at the very beginning of the game. Vikavolt is the exact opposite, and is physically impossible to evolve until the end. And by the end of the game, I have much better options for what to put on my team.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
My guess is that in both instances that they wanted them to have location-based evolutions, but it just happened to turn out that the options for snow and electromagnetic field areas where at the end of the game, leaving them with no other choice. They weren't going to randomly throw in a snowy area somewhere else in the game just so that Crabrawler can evolve earlier.

for what it's worth though, I do agree with you, at least on Vikavolt. I normally enjoy using the "basic bug" of the region early on in the game, and Vikavolt is easily my favorite of the basic bugs. But a major part of the appeal of the basic bug is getting a third stage Pokemon at the very beginning of the game. Vikavolt is the exact opposite, and is physically impossible to evolve until the end. And by the end of the game, I have much better options for what to put on my team.

Apparently, the mountain Mt. Hokulani is based on has snow every year. That could've been a Crabominable spot. EM fields could have been squeezed in somewhere. It's not like these Electric Pokemon are pseudolegendaries- they could have had more accessible evolution areas.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Apparently, the mountain Mt. Hokulani is based on has snow every year.

Maybe that's so, but it's design had nothing to do with snow in Sun and Moon. The focus was the observatory, not the cold and snow. They had a specific design in mind for that area, and to make Crabrawler able to evolve earlier would have compromised that design.

EM fields could have been squeezed in somewhere.

It's about more than "squeezing them in." It's about finding the most natural place in the game that could house this kind of location. To simply "squeeze it in" would be poor design.

It's not like these Electric Pokemon are pseudolegendaries- they could have had more accessible evolution areas.

Like I said, this isn't them making them hard to obtain because they're powerful, this is them making them hard to obtain for good world-design purposes.

Orphalesion

The easiest option would have been to just have Vikavolt evolve via level up. I get that they might have wanted to differentiate it from the other regional bugs by giving it an gimmicky evolution, but imho it was already differentiated enough by it's fairly unique typing.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The easiest option would have been to just have Vikavolt evolve via level up. I get that they might have wanted to differentiate it from the other regional bugs by giving it an gimmicky evolution, but imho it was already differentiated enough by it's fairly unique typing.

Personally, I like that the fact that they actually revisited location-based evolutions for the first time in three generations. Even if it makes Vikavolt hard to get, I like that they at least remembered that they can reuse these mechanics.

Orphalesion

Personally, I like that the fact that they actually revisited location-based evolutions for the first time in three generations. Even if it makes Vikavolt hard to get, I like that they at least remembered that they can reuse these mechanics.

That's of course true, and I have no problems with Crabominable, but choosing the regional bug was a bit of an unfortunate design choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.