• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luthor

The more I look at the pokemon the more I think it will be a pokemon with multiple forms similar to Zygarde based on how many you have. I wouldn't mind if being wrong on this but it's what I'm predicting at the moment as get a Zygarde Cell type vibe from it.

Last edited:

Sabre_King

The more I look at the pokemon the more I think it will be a pokemon with multiple forms similar to Zygarde based on how many you have. I wouldn't mind if being wrong on this but it's what I'm predicting at the moment as get a Zygarde Cell type vibe from it.

I’ve been hearing this theory a lot the last day regarding this new Pokémon and I see it going this route as well. I think this would make this new Pokémon more interesting as right now we would just see it’s single cell form and then when official releases we see it’s its actual form.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
It would be cool if two were out in a double battle and they fused into one.

I really hope they'll eventually implement a system like this, in-battle fusion for certain pokémon. I'd love it if something like the Regis got this too.

Creyk

I really hope they'll eventually implement a system like this, in-battle fusion for certain pokémon. I'd love it if something like the Regis got this too.

It's inevitable and many speculate that that will be the "gimmick" of gen 8.
However if that is also a feature that is mostly only used on gen 1 pokemon I will riot.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I love this little thing, I really hope it becomes an actual pokemon, not just a Ditto (I have no idea why the company would make a new pokemon just to have it be a ditto). It definitely looks cool and I can see it being a Normal/Steel or Poison/Steel type or regular Steel type. To me, it looks like it still evolves, but you never know.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
So, Meltan is a Mythical.

This suggests it is either an Ultra Beast or a Victini situation, since the fourth last Mythical of the gen tend to be related to the gen's lore, Arceus is the creator of Sinnoh and the universe, Genesect is the creation of Team Plasma etc.

Regarding its future forms, if it has any I suspect a Zygarde situation as well, but for the next proper gen.

Edit: Design inspiration for Meltan seems to be a mixture of the alchemical mercury, which in alchemy is the prime metal all other materials derive from, and Eye of Providence, the Christian symbol associated with Masonism. Hexagon shape of its nut is probably meant to evoke a hexagram.

Basically, it is a Mew, but for mineral-mons.

Eidt 2: The lore:
Official Pokémon Website said:
Most of Meltan’s body is made from liquid metal, and its shape is very fluid. It can use its liquid arms and legs to corrode metal and absorb it into its own body.

Meltan generates electricity using the metal it absorbs from outside sources. It uses this electricity as an energy source and also as an attack that can be fired from its eye.

Clearly a curious Pokemon, Meltan is very expressive and shows an interest in all kinds of things.

Last edited:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
So, Meltan can be used in LGPE indicates that it is an exception to one-way transfer from GO to Let's GO unless the Special Pokémon marketed in a present box is a different one.

Also, if Meltan is a Generation 7 Mythical, I believe GameFreak is on the right steps to avoid data-mining:
  • A: Pokémon do not get leaked like Generation 6: USUM introduced 4 species that belong to Alola's Dex, and 5 if Meltan is also a part of it with LGPE.
  • B: It promotes an efficient strategy to make customers buy the upcoming games by introducing new Pokémon.
Part of me thinks Meltan fits Generation 7 with all the 'cute' Mythicals it introduced: Magearna and Marshadow. But, I'd want it badly to be the Generation 8's successor. I hope it doesn't fall the Squishy-syndrome as a part of the current generation and get the Zygarde-Complete treatment in the next.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I don’t get the whole Ditto thing, can someone explain?

Dittos have the ability to transform into any Pokémon, including from memory. The reason Dittos are transforming into Meltan is because they have a similar body shape.

Sabre_King

Well the Steel typing was obvious for Meltan, a little bummed they didn't add poison typing as well. I like that it is confirmed a mythical pokemon so at least it stats will not be that bad, but I think for some reason I am hoping or potentially seeing this little guy pull a hoopa and have a second form, I think if this happens then this pokemon really would be worth using in the game.

BCVM22

Also, if Meltan is a Generation 7 Mythical, I believe GameFreak is on the right steps to avoid data-mining:
  • A: Pokémon do not get leaked like Generation 6: USUM introduced 4 species that belong to Alola's Dex, and 5 if Meltan is also a part of it with LGPE.
  • B: It promotes an efficient strategy to make customers buy the upcoming games by introducing new Pokémon.
Part of me thinks Meltan fits Generation 7 with all the 'cute' Mythicals it introduced: Magearna and Marshadow. But, I'd want it badly to be the Generation 8's successor. I hope it doesn't fall the Squishy-syndrome as a part of the current generation and get the Zygarde-Complete treatment in the next.

As Meltan will have never appeared in any Generation VII game, I’m not sure there’s any classification that would place it as a Generation VII Pokémon. Even if one doesn’t consider LGP/E to be the start of Generation VIII - which is reasonable - they certainly aren’t the back end of Generation VII either.

I’m inclined to believe that Meltan is the first of the new more so than the last of the old, and will firmly have a place in the Pokédex of next year’s Generation VIII titles.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I don’t get the whole Ditto thing, can someone explain?
Also in Pokémon GO, for thirty minutes after the end of Chikorita Community Days in every region internationally, Ditto spawns that were transformed into Meltan increased dramatically.

Nodame

Misty <3
So, Meltan can be used in LGPE indicates that it is an exception to one-way transfer from GO to Let's GO unless the Special Pokémon marketed in a present box is a different one.

I don’t think Meltan is at the level of cuteness of other mythical Pokémon like Jirachi. Meltan looks so incomplete in my eyes that i can’t help but think it will be the next Zygarde or something similar.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
As Meltan will have never appeared in any Generation VII game, I’m not sure there’s any classification that would place it as a Generation VII Pokémon. Even if one doesn’t consider LGP/E to be the start of Generation VIII - which is reasonable - they certainly aren’t the back end of Generation VII either.

I’m inclined to believe that Meltan is the first of the new more so than the last of the old, and will firmly have a place in the Pokédex of next year’s Generation VIII titles.

Unfortunately, it seems there is no page on the official Pokémon or Pokémon GO sites that state its pokedex number.

While this technically doesn't rule out the possibility of it being a Gen VII pokemon, I pray Game Freak is withholding its dex number because its generation has not yet been revealed.

BCVM22

I don’t think the Pokédex number would tell us anything definitive. If it is officially #808, there’s precedent for a little Legendary being the first Pokémon in its region’s portion of the National Pokédex.

Last edited:

Nodame

Misty <3
When they say a Pokémon that “had never been seen before” or “newly discovered” do they say that because it’s a mythical? Or because it belongs to Gen 8 and all of the Pokémon there are “undiscovered ”

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
When they say a Pokémon that “had never been seen before” or “newly discovered” do they say that because it’s a mythical? Or because it belongs to Gen 8 and all of the Pokémon there are “undiscovered ”
They say it when they introduce a new species of Pokémon, which doesn't necessarily have to be a Mythical.

The example of it was seen in 2013, in the announcement of Doublade, where it was announced to be a 'never before seen Pokémon', only to turn out as the evolution of Honedge — the pre-evolved form that was revealed a couple of months before during Generation 6 marketing.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I don’t think the Pokédex number would tell us anything definitive. If it is officially #808, there’s precedent for a little Legendary being the first Pokémon in its region’s portion of the National Pokédex.

I doubt they would do that a second time.

Victini getting that treatment was part of its gimmick, as its regional dex number was #000. I see no reason for Meltan to kick off Gen 8's roster. I'm hoping the '#891' it had in GO's data is legit.

Of course, that would also mean we won't be getting much more than 84 pokemon, at least not for the first set of games.

BCVM22

How would Meltan be any different in that regard? Why wouldn’t they repeat that 7-8 years later and why does it need a “reason” to be #000 in the VIII-Dex?

And... maybe the data-mined #891 is legitimate! That certainly works too. Or maybe neither one is accurate. My point was simply that if we were to find out, definitively, that it is #808, that wouldn’t strictly make anything definitive in and of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.