• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Proteus_

We were all wrong! Meltan is officially a gen 1 mon, ROTFL :

Chrales‏ @Chrales
4 ott
about speculation ... in pokémongo ingame news, Meltan is tagged as "152" file names are like PGO_News_152_Announcement.tsv and main image is 152_concept2_noBox2k.v4_03_1024x512_NoLogo.jpg

Then, we can safely assume the game is next generation. With the information we have right now, it wouldn't be accurate to make a precise statement about this.
I agrre with this and the attitude of Wikipedia to list Meltan as New Pokemon, outside the specific separation in generation

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
We were all wrong! Meltan is officially a gen 1 mon, ROTFL :

Chrales‏ @Chrales
4 ott
about speculation ... in pokémongo ingame news, Meltan is tagged as "152" file names are like PGO_News_152_Announcement.tsv and main image is 152_concept2_noBox2k.v4_03_1024x512_NoLogo.jpg

Since Meltan is playable in Let's GO, it needs to have a Dex number. In a game where only the original 151 is available, it makes sense for it to have 152. But, that doesn't mean it is a Generation 1 Pokémon or whatsoever.

BCVM22

Since Meltan is playable in Let's GO, it needs to have a Dex number. In a game where only the original 151 is available, it makes sense for it to have 152. But, that doesn't mean it is a Generation 1 Pokémon or whatsoever.

I think @_Proteus_ was being visibly facetious and poking fun at these notions of Generation VII and Generation VIII.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
Special unobtainable cameos in a spin-off game is an entirely different thing from a fully obtainable and usable appearance in a main series game. You can't even compare the two. The prior is a preview, and the latter is a premiere. Clearly it's the premiere that defines a Pokémon's place, not its preview. So, unless something comes up that makes Meltan's appearance in Let's Go classified as a preview instead of a premiere (which certainly is possible), it would default to being premiered in Let's Go, and cannot be compared to Munchlax and Bonsly.

Well, for one, yes, you can compare the two, because even if one is more implemented than the other the basic circumstance is at least somewhat similar. Meltan did not “premiere” in the bulk of gen 7, that being SM/USUM, so even then whether or not it’s actually gen 7 is up in the air.

All I’m trying to say is that it is entirely possible for a Pokémon to appear in a generation before its native one, which you originally denied, and your latest post doesn’t address. Once again, there’s no way for me to know which one it belongs to right now, and I don’t really think it matters so I don’t really care either. Arguments about it are going to be circular and undecidable until it is officially revealed in one way or another.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, for one, yes, you can compare the two, because even if one is more implemented than the other the basic circumstance is at least somewhat similar. Meltan did not “premiere” in the bulk of gen 7, that being SM/USUM, so even then whether or not it’s actually gen 7 is up in the air.

All I’m trying to say is that it is entirely possible for a Pokémon to appear in a generation before its native one, which you originally denied, and your latest post doesn’t address. Once again, there’s no way for me to know which one it belongs to right now, and I don’t really think it matters so I don’t really care either. Arguments about it are going to be circular and undecidable until it is officially revealed in one way or another.

Then allow me to refine my original statement. By definition, a Pokémon can't make a full appearance in a main series game before it's generation. I thought the main series part was implied clearly enough, but apparently not.

Last edited:

Minedreigon

Then allow me to refine my original statement. By definition, a Pokémon can't make a full appearance in a main series game before it's generation. I thought the main series part was implied clearly enough, but apparently not.

But then Let’s Go being main series, while claimed by GameFreak themselves, is a little tricky to determine because it’s certainly a stark contrast to the others and feels very spinoffy. This is another debate I personally would like to keep out of. So once again we come no closer to determining what gen Meltan belongs to.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
But then Let’s Go being main series, while claimed by GameFreak themselves, is a little tricky to determine because it’s certainly a stark contrast to the others and feels very spinoffy. This is another debate I personally would like to keep out of. So once again we come no closer to determining what gen Meltan belongs to.

If Game Freak themselves say it's main series, then it's main series. Why would the very people who create the game be wrong? There's no debate to be had.

Minedreigon

If Game Freak themselves say it's main series, then it's main series. Why would the very people who create the game be wrong? There's no debate to be had.

It’s not so much about being wrong as it is about not really considering the implications of that. I’m a firm believer that the art is separate to the artist in cases like this. There’s a lot that can be said about Let’s Go that’s awfully spinoffish of them, but the way they are advertised (which by the way has so far been atrocious) they do seem very main series-ish indeed. But once again I don’t really want to have that debate here because I honestly don’t have an answer. At the very least, it’s different.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It’s not so much about being wrong as it is about not really considering the implications of that. I’m a firm believer that the art is separate to the artist in cases like this. There’s a lot that can be said about Let’s Go that’s awfully spinoffish of them, but the way they are advertised (which by the way has so far been atrocious) they do seem very main series-ish indeed. But once again I don’t really want to have that debate here because I honestly don’t have an answer. At the very least, it’s different.

All I can say is that it's up to the creators of the games to categorize them, not the fans. If Game Freak see them as being main series, that's all that matters. Reply or don't as you wish, I'm not trying to push you into a debate, but I will continue to respond as long as you do and I have something to say.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I think #152 being its number may just be its regional Dex number for these games since there's no National Dex.

Luthor

One curious impact of Meltan's first games is that it will be the only pokemon in the Pokedex to not yet have an ability revealed (due to these games not having abilities) . So there's a possibility that after these games in later games it could jump up in power with the right ability (or be severely hampered with the wrong one).

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
One curious impact of Meltan's first games is that it will be the only pokemon in the Pokedex to not yet have an ability revealed (due to these games not having abilities) . So there's a possibility that after these games in later games it could jump up in power with the right ability (or be severely hampered with the wrong one).

I didn't even think about that. How interesting. It seems like the sort of Pokémon that would get a signature ability. I wonder if they'll even bother making it one once the Pokémon is old news, or if they'll just give it something generic, like, let's say, Limber, instead.

Temproux

Can someone explain why LGPE could not be gen 8?

It is only using gen 1 Pokémon and Meltan. It isn't a stretch to say this title might get generation updates like Pokémon go does.

Unlikely but it might get generation 8 Pokémon at some point.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Can someone explain why LGPE could not be gen 8?

It is only using gen 1 Pokémon and Meltan. It isn't a stretch to say this title might get generation updates like Pokémon go does.

Unlikely but it might get generation 8 Pokémon at some point.
The main point against LGPE being Gen 8 is that it is not set in a new region unlike the other games that are considered to be part of a new generation so it does not completely fulfil the criteria of the game being considered to belong to a new generation. Even LGPE is listed as Gen 7 on the main site.

Temproux

The main point against LGPE being Gen 8 is that it is not set in a new region unlike the other games that are considered to be part of a new generation so it does not completely fulfil the criteria of the game being considered to belong to a new generation. Even LGPE is listed as Gen 7 on the main site.

It is true that typically a new region in a main series game marks a new generation.

That being said they have changed a lot since the days of 3 versions per gen.

It would not surprise me if they release a 8th gen spinoff before the main games are out.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It is true that typically a new region in a main series game marks a new generation.

That being said they have changed a lot since the days of 3 versions per gen.

It would not surprise me if they release a 8th gen spinoff before the main games are out.
It has been always the case that a new region for a Pokémon game would mark a new generation. For me I think this game is likely to be the last games of that generation.

Overall, having a Gen 8 Pokémon in a Gen 7 game would be pretty new but I believe that only having one of it would not be sufficient enough to consider the games to be Gen 8.

Last edited:

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Why don't we wait and see where Meltan is in the national pokedex in the gen 8 games, if it's at the end with the other legendaries/ mythicals then's it's a gen 8 pokemon. If it's at the beginning that doesn't really help, seeing as that's where Victini is.

Temproux

It has been always the case that a new region for a Pokémon game would mark a new generation. For me I think this game is likely to be the last games of that generation.
This is true for the main games... So far.

If all Pokémon games with new reigons were counted towards generations we would be at around gen 10.

Imo LGPE may be built upon post launch, it might get the Pokémon go treatment, build up to gen 8 Pokémon (but no further) and maybe add johto as well.

Ok the last part is wishful thinking, regardless I don't think this game will stop at gen 1. It will probably catch up and update along with Pokémon go.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This is true for the main games... So far.

If all Pokémon games with new reigons were counted towards generations we would be at around gen 10.

Imo LGPE may be built upon post launch, it might get the Pokémon go treatment, build up to gen 8 Pokémon (but no further) and maybe add johto as well.

Ok the last part is wishful thinking, regardless I don't think this game will stop at gen 1. It will probably catch up and update along with Pokémon go.
I don't think new Pokémon will be added to it asides from Meltan and I think it's already confirmed. I think Meltan is a Mythical Pokémon that represents LGPE and GO as a whole because of its discovery by Professor Willow.

Temproux

I don't think new Pokémon will be added to it asides from Meltan and I think it's already confirmed. I think Meltan is a Mythical Pokémon that represents LGPE and GO as a whole because of its discovery by Professor Willow.
All I can find is the game includes gen 1 plus meltan. Pokémon go started with gen 1, it feels like LGPE would follow suit, but would probably depend on Pokémon go for latter gen Pokémon.
Sorry for getting too speculative with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.