• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon & Hisuian Variants - Discussion Thread [Use SPOILER Tags]

MrJechgo

Although I'm not a big fan of Hisuian Voltorb, I'm excited by the prospect of Hisuian Electrode being a more interesting and usable Pokémon.
Electrode was pretty popular in Gen 1 due to its HUGE speed stat.

Luthor

No doubt. I think its just power creep over time that has led to where it isn't as useful as it once was. Its still quick but there's now Pokemon that either outspeed completely (even after its buff in gen 7), have an ability that means they outspeed (e,g Prankster) or have better stats overall or just far better movepools. At very least Hisuian Electrode (or whatever Hisuain Voltorb evolves into but I'm assuming still electrode for now) looks to have access to energy ball and is probably is going to get other similar moves so that seems like it might give it some more move variety. Plus even if Hisuian Electrode doesn't get access to its ability in theses game I think it will still get assigned abilities for the future (similar to Melmetal) and with the right abilities it could be very good.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
A big part of this was due to how critical hits worked in Gen 1. In Gen 1, a Pokemon's critical hit chance was actually based on its Speed stat instead of being fixed across all Pokemon, so Pokemon with very high Speed stats like Electrode scored critical hits much more often, making up for its otherwise lackluster offensive power.

That being said, it was also an extremely one-dimensional Pokemon. It had next to no coverage moves so anything that could handle Thunderbolt + Explosion was easily capable of taking it on (Rhydon, Gengar, Golem, etc).

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
There's also how mechanics for Self-Destruct and Explosion have changed. It used to be that any Pokémon caught in either of these moves would have their Defense halved for damage calculation, effectively doubling the damage. That went out of control for double battling in Generation V (most VGC matches, for instance, ended in fewer turns than there were Pokémon) so they got rid of the Defense-halving. Electrode was arguably the biggest victim of that, as its main thing was to show up, then explode.

Honestly though, the purpose of Voltorb and Electrode were as hazards in the single-player campaign in the Kanto games. They look like Poké Balls, but you'd be punished for guessing incorrectly by encountering a Voltorb or Electrode. If you couldn't muster something faster than it or put out a Rock- or Ghost-type, you'd be pummeled with a Self-Destruct or Explosion. You could use Voltorb or Electrode on your team, but it wasn't the intended primary purpose of this Pokémon line. They were booby traps used by Team Rocket. It isn't fair because real goodies to pick up were mixed along with them, but they're criminals. They aren't supposed to play fair.

As someone who battles only in the official games, I run into a lot of Japanese players--based on my own experiences, their primary use of Electrode in single battles is to set up rain or dual screens at the beginning of a match, then explode to remove themselves from the battle. This minority prefers to set rain manually over using Drizzle because it will override harsh sunlight, sandstorm, and hail set up via Abilities. (This means Electrode really only shows up in single battles when there are weather wars going on.) Electrode is exceedingly rare in double battles though. I'd mainly see Electrode used to...well, set rain, but also to hand out Thunder Waves.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Most likely not since the Voltorb's original dex says it came from a Pokeball Factory, meaning that specific species of Voltorb all came from the same place.

Hisuian Voltorb seems to have come from a factory or woodshop for Legends version of the pokeball . Most likely being the original species like Galarian Zigzagoon.

I'm hoping Electrode looks like a wooden Rollbot.
To be clear the dex entry doesn't say it came from a poke ball factory necessarily, just that said factory is where Voltorb was first discovered.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m still waiting to see if the Hisuian forms can be transferred into SWSH &/or BDSP once we get Home connectivity before I judge their battling skills (or if pokémon from other games can be transferred into Legends so they can evolve into Hisuian forms), but I’m still loving all of them so far due to their designs & concepts.

Hisuian Voltorb felt a little too similar to the original when I first saw it, but after reading about its lore the design makes perfect sense and it feels more unique

keithpetrosky

Just my theory on the new Voltorb form.

Voltorb originally was said to look like a pokeball back in Kanto and probably inspired modern pokeball designs. However, now with this new form being grass/electric having seeds in it, I am predicting it is somehow linked to apricorn trees seeing as how they were used to make pokeballs. It looks like an apricorn missing the stem. Perhaps voltorb will produce apricorn seeds to plant in game?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I’m still waiting to see if the Hisuian forms can be transferred into SWSH &/or BDSP once we get Home connectivity before I judge their battling skills (or if pokémon from other games can be transferred into Legends so they can evolve into Hisuian forms), but I’m still loving all of them so far due to their designs & concepts.

Hisuian Voltorb felt a little too similar to the original when I first saw it, but after reading about its lore the design makes perfect sense and it feels more unique
Sword and Shield, most definitely, though it's up in the air with Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. I doubt they'd make all these designs just to not use them or not let people use them, especially since Generation VIII is the first one with DLC, as well as periodic patches and updates.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Sword and Shield, most definitely, though it's up in the air with Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. I doubt they'd make all these designs just to not use them or not let people use them, especially since Generation VIII is the first one with DLC, as well as periodic patches and updates.
Which leads to the question of what their abilities will be, since Legends seems to not feature abilities. Perhaps they will still be in the code for the game though, like Melmetal's Iron Fist was in Let's Go.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I still feel like abilities will be in the game.

Some pokemon depend on them like Carnivine, Cherrim and Arceus
We can hope, but it's strange then that not a word has been said about the abilities of any of the new pokemon (when normally that is a major part of the advertising).

Luthor

Which leads to the question of what their abilities will be, since Legends seems to not feature abilities. Perhaps they will still be in the code for the game though, like Melmetal's Iron Fist was in Let's Go.

My prediction for the moment is they will be like Melmetal like you say giving it an ability in the code. I'd prefer them to to get abilities in-game though.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
We can hope, but it's strange then that not a word has been said about the abilities of any of the new pokemon (when normally that is a major part of the advertising).
My prediction for the moment is they will be like Melmetal like you say giving it an ability in the code. I'd prefer them to to get abilities in-game though.
You don't think abilities could be locked behind Pokedex completion do you?

As in, abilities aren't listed or shown when activated until a certain amount of progress for the Pokedex is achieved?

Luthor

You don't think abilities could be locked behind Pokedex completion do you?

As in, abilities aren't listed or shown when activated until a certain amount of progress for the Pokedex is achieved?

To answer it honestly. It could but until I have something to indicate it I'll assume not. Admittedly I would like for abilities to be included but the fact that there's been no mention on any of the new forms and not shown so far only any of the confirmed Pokedex so far makes me guess it wont.

Orphalesion

Ugh...I didn't want to believe it when a friend told me that there's a regional variant of Voltorb. But unfortunately he spoke the truth...

Is there any hope that it's evolution will be less awful than Kantonian "Voltorb but turned upside down"? What am I talking...of course not! Alolan "Three Diglets Next to Each other, but now with wigs" and "Grimer, but bigger" weren't any improvement either...

Ranadiel

Ugh...I didn't want to believe it when a friend told me that there's a regional variant of Voltorb. But unfortunately he spoke the truth...

Is there any hope that it's evolution will be less awful than Kantonian "Voltorb but turned upside down"? What am I talking...of course not! Alolan "Three Diglets Next to Each other, but now with wigs" and "Grimer, but bigger" weren't any improvement either...
Since Voltorb spits seeds out of a hole on its head, I'm kind of expecting that the Electrode will have those seeds sprout resulting in a bunch of vines or roots sprouting out of the hole in its head. Whether that is an improvement, a decrease in quality, or a eldritch abomination that needs to burned to the ground is up to you.