• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon & Hisuian Variants - Discussion Thread [Use SPOILER Tags]

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I dunno why expected it to look much more different. It's just ball, except now it's wooden. XD

Looks like they are really going through the list of all Gen 1 Pokemon and giving them one form or another.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Well at least there's finally an Electric/Grass that isn't a Rotom form, I sure won't be using it though unless it turns into something new.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I was expecting Hisuian Voltorb to look more like an Apricorn that fell off a tree. But I still like what we’ve got.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I think Hisuian Voltorb looks so cute!

I'm hoping Hisuian Electrode, or whatever evolved form it gets, looks hella awesome.

Red and Blue

Looks like those rumors became a bit more credible. Just need to wait and see if
Hisuian Dragon/Steel Goodra
is legit

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I don't think Mew is really out of the question to receive a new gimmick, although I also don't think it's a likely candidate for a Hisuian form. Sure, it already sort of has a gimmick in its movepool (as well as being one of 3 Pokemon who can use Transform), but in-game it doesn't live up to its lore description as being one of the most powerful Pokemon to ever exist. Its stats are all around mediocre and mono-Psychic went from being one of the best types in the game in Gen 1 to arguably being one of the worst.
What in Mew's lore ever said it is one of the most powerful pokemon to ever exist? I assume we're not counting the movies, as the powers pokemon display there can be very inconsistent from one movie to the next. As far as its dex entries go, Mew is mostly noted for learning all sorts of moves and usually going unnoticed by people.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'm going to predict that Hisuian Electrode will have the same stats as Kantonian Electrode and possibly the same Abilities--except that it'll get a new signature move, an Electric-type Explosion that runs off Special Attack. Hisuian Voltorb will elarn this move too. It reflects the description's mention of Hisuian Voltorb releasing all of its electricity all at once.

If so, I can see Hisuian Electrode becoming a competitive double battling staple, at least for a short while. It'll show up and inflict huge damage with that Electric Explosion while being too fast for most Pokémon to keep up. Ground-type Pokémon would have to deal with its Grass-type moves like Energy Ball. Except for Parasect and Kingdra, every Pokémon with Damp is weak to Grass, Electric, or both.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I'm not really impressed by Hisui Voltorb, it doesn't even look all that different from the original. When I first read the leak that said it was going to be Electric/Grass my first thought was they would tie it into the Apricorns somehow, like it comes in a variety of colours and then Electrode would look like the various Apricorn Balls, so I think there's a missed opportunity there.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'm not really impressed by Hisui Voltorb, it doesn't even look all that different from the original. When I first read the leak that said it was going to be Electric/Grass my first thought was they would tie it into the Apricorns somehow, like it comes in a variety of colours and then Electrode would look like the various Apricorn Balls, so I think there's a missed opportunity there.
To be fair, Kantonian Voltorb and Electrode only come in the red-and-white variety in a game with Great Balls, Ultra Balls, and Master Balls. The standard red-and-white Poké Ball is by far the most recognizable type and arguably the second most recognizable part of Pokémon after Pikachu itself.

They actually are pretty distinct if you look at the Voltorbs side by side. Kantonian Voltorb is lighter in color, has smaller eyes, and does not have eyebrows the way Hisuian Voltorb does. Hisuian Voltorb also has the hole at the top and, being made of wood, has an ecru bottom hemisphere with a wood grain pattern.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Why are its pupils holes? That's weird.

Luthor

One thing that looks useful about this new form is that it seems to know energy ball (I assume its energy ball its using). If so that could be useful for Electrode. Electrode has always been held back by its limited movepool and its new typing adds some great potential move options.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Aweh the new voltorb is adorable! I am really curious about electrode now or if it'll be a new pokemon!

It mentions that hisuian voltorb has a hole on its head filled with seeds... maybe when it evolves it'll turn upside down like electrode does normally but vines will come out of it, essentially turning it into a petey pirahna plant looking pokemon without a mouth, unless it gets one? That voltorb just ate berries in this stop motion lol.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Can't help but wonder after seeing Hisuian Voltorb if the regular version was even around in feudal times.
Most likely not since the Voltorb's original dex says it came from a Pokeball Factory, meaning that specific species of Voltorb all came from the same place.

Hisuian Voltorb seems to have come from a factory or woodshop for Legends version of the pokeball . Most likely being the original species like Galarian Zigzagoon.

I'm hoping Electrode looks like a wooden Rollbot.

Nave

Although I'm not a big fan of Hisuian Voltorb, I'm excited by the prospect of Hisuian Electrode being a more interesting and usable Pokémon.