• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon & Hisuian Variants - Discussion Thread [Use SPOILER Tags]

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I think it’s safe to say the Cranidos & Shieldon lines won’t be in Legends for two reasons
  • The game presumably takes place in the Meiji Era (same time as the Industrial Revolution), so technology hasn’t progressed enough for fossil restoration machines
  • Since these are prehistoric pokémon, I doubt they survived long enough to have Hisuian forms
Also, after watching Lockstin’s video, I get the feeling whatever Hisuian forms we do get will be related to Hokkaido’s history & the Ainu culture
There's also how Cranidos and Shieldon fossils are already present in Sinnoh. I highly doubt they'll make Hisuian forms of Pokémon already present in Sinnoh, particularly Generation IV Pokémon as those are already technically a signature of the region.

Given the appearance of Fossil Pokemon in the Crown Tundra, I'm not willing to write off the possibility of those two lines appearing in the wild in Hisui as well.
Amaura's Pokédex entry talks about how they're present there due to some fossil-revived Pokémon escaping and becoming established in the area, suggesting they're all non-native. If so, it would be a very plausible explanation for their presence in the Crown Tundra (there are established but non-invasive populations of animals all over the world, such as peafowl in one neighborhood in the San Gabriel area of Los Angeles, for instance), but it would also mean that they're probably not going to be alive and roaming about in Hisui.

Akashin

Amaura's Pokédex entry talks about how they're present there due to some fossil-revived Pokémon escaping and becoming established in the area, suggesting they're all non-native. If so, it would be a very plausible explanation for their presence in the Crown Tundra (there are established but non-invasive populations of animals all over the world, such as peafowl in one neighborhood in the San Gabriel area of Los Angeles, for instance), but it would also mean that they're probably not going to be alive and roaming about in Hisui.
While it's a singular case and probably too isolated to be taken as evidence on a wider scale, for the past two generations there has been doubt cast on Kabuto having gone extinct at all. Supposing they're willing to extend that dubious status past Kabuto, it could serve as a plausible reason for other Fossil Pokemon to appear.

Phillies

I wonder if they will add any of the new variants to go around the time legends releases as a way to advertise the new game

Luthor

I'd like a bug type regional variant. Bugs are very adaptable and yet so far no regional variants. Something like a Bug/Water Masquerain would be fun. I admit it's harder to give a pokemon that doesn't have it initially have bug typing but I still think it can be done (Flygon for example).

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'd like a bug type regional variant. Bugs are very adaptable and yet so far no regional variants. Something like a Bug/Water Masquerain would be fun. I admit it's harder to give a pokemon that doesn't have it initially have bug typing but I still think it can be done (Flygon for example).
Bug/Dragon is a type combination still unused. (They had their chance with Yanmega, being a dragonfly, but I guess that pun doesn't really work in Japanese.)

Red and Blue

Rock-type Heatmor to still have the 4x advantage? Use the whole Earth=Aard=Aardvark=Anteater thing?
Well I was thinking that in Sinnoh Durant would be the one to have the advantage against Heatmor. But your idea works too

disobedient

Maybe someone already mentioned this but I just noticed that Basculegion is more similar to the Red-striped Basculin, it has, well, red stripes and its eyes are the same (Blue Basculin has different eye shape) Maybe there's another Basculegion form for the Blue-striped Basculin or even a completely different evolution
Its seems like it - but Basculegion also has Blue Striped forms pectoral fins. So while I'd like the Blue form get a different evolution, I can also see them just giving the evolution to Red Stripe form. Maybe it lost the ability to evolve and instead developed the Blue form in Unova.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
How likely do you think Girafarig will get something in Arceus whether it is a new form or an evolution. I almost always forget that it exists even though it has an interesting design with a semi-sentient tail head. Something like that should be memorable especially if it looks like a giraffe. It is just one of those Gen II that sort of needs more attention especially in the anime.

ShadowForce720

How likely do you think Girafarig will get something in Arceus whether it is a new form or an evolution. I almost always forget that it exists even though it has an interesting design with a semi-sentient tail head. Something like that should be memorable especially if it looks like a giraffe. It is just one of those Gen II that sort of needs more attention especially in the anime.
I say it could really go either way when it comes to whether or not Girafarig will get something in Arceus, so basically a 50-50 chance.

I mean after all I doubt a lot of people were excepting to suddenly get a evolution to Basculin and Stantler.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Its seems like it - but Basculegion also has Blue Striped forms pectoral fins. So while I'd like the Blue form get a different evolution, I can also see them just giving the evolution to Red Stripe form. Maybe it lost the ability to evolve and instead developed the Blue form in Unova.
That’s interesting about the pectorals. I’m still not convinced that we won’t be getting Hisuian Basculin that combines elements from both Red and Blue striped. I mean I get the colors are incredibly similar, but “the Sirfetch’d incident” haunts me to this very day.

Then they can work on some kind of lore to explain how Unovan Basculin diverged.

ShadowForce720

That’s interesting about the pectorals. I’m still not convinced that we won’t be getting Hisuian Basculin that combines elements from both Red and Blue striped. I mean I get the colors are incredibly similar, but “the Sirfetch’d incident” haunts me to this very day.

Then they can work on some kind of lore to explain how Unovan Basculin diverged.
The Sirfetch’d is not even comparable because no matter how you try to argue it Sirfetch’d looks extremely different from Kanto Farfetch’d.

Where as Basculegion shares to many designs elements with the normal Unovan Basuclin to evolve from a regional variant of them.

The thing about regional variants is even in cases where they share the same color scheme their design are at least distinct enough to where your not going to confuse them for their original counterparts.

The problem with the idea of a Hisuian Basculin is that looking at the design and color scheme elements it would likely have in order for it to make sense for it to evolve into Basculegion it would look to much like a normal Unovan Basculin for to really exist.

In all honesty given how things were presented the information we have it is safe to say that Basculegion evolves just from a normal Unovan Basculin, and Wyrdeer likely evolves from a normal Johtoian Stantler.

Most likely a Hisuian Braviary evolves from a normal Unovan Rufflet.

So basically there is no such thing as a Hisuian Stantler, Basculin, and Rufflet.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
The Sirfetch’d is not even comparable because no matter how you try to argue it Sirfetch’d looks extremely different from Kanto Farfetch’d.

Where as Basculegion shares to many designs elements with the normal Unovan Basuclin to evolve from a regional variant of them.

The thing about regional variants is even in cases where they share the same color scheme their design are at least distinct enough to where your not going to confuse them for their original counterparts.

The problem with the idea of a Hisuian Basculin is that looking at the design and color scheme elements it would likely have in order for it to make sense for it to evolve into Basculegion it would look to much like a normal Unovan Basculin for to really exist.

In all honesty given how things were presented the information we have it is safe to say that Basculegion evolves just from a normal Unovan Basculin, and Wyrdeer likely evolves from a normal Johtoian Stantler.

Most likely a Hisuian Braviary evolves from a normal Unovan Rufflet.

So basically there is no such thing as a Hisuian Stantler, Basculin, and Rufflet.
I’ll agree that it’s a logical conclusion, but nothing’s set in stone until we get official confirmation. Honestly it’s not a big deal either way but we still need to consider the alternative until TPC says “Wyrdeer evolves from Johto Stantler, etc.”

For some bizarre reason after Gen 4 they got this weird Combee in their bonnet about regular evolutions to old Pokémon (with one exception, Sylveon). And I don’t get why…did some kid write in complaining their Lickitung learned Rollout in LeafGreen and nothing happened?

Kingudora

My favourite
I'd love to see a Bug-type regional form. It would likely just be for currently existing Bug-types, since giving the Bug type to pokémon that don't already have arthropod design elements would be kinda weird.
However, there are a few non-Bug-type pokémon in the Bug egg group that could be plausible candidates to gain the Bug type with a regional form, like Gligar, Drapion or Flygon.

As for new type combinations for forms of current Bug-type pokémon, I'd like to see either more Bug/Ghost and Bug/Psychic pokémon, or the first Bug/Dark pokémon.

With regard to the pokémon already shown in trailers so far, here's a list of Bug-type pokémon I think could get a Hisuian form, along with plausible type combinations:

• Venomoth - a good candidate for a Bug/Ghost or Bug/Psychic form.
  • Ledian - Bug/Fighting would be fitting but might be too similar to regular Ledian in concept. I could also see a Bug/Fairy form being plausible.
  • Ariados - another good candidate for a Bug/Ghost form, as well as Bug/Dark.
  • Masquerain - once again, another good candidate for a Bug/Ghost form. Think Masquerain, but with gloomier antennae. However, I don't think a Bug/Water form would be likely (that's what regular Masquerain should have been imo), in the same way I don't think a Poison/Bug form for Drapion would be likely.
  • Durant - A Bug/Ground type to reflect a past form of Durant that had not adapted to Heatmor yet.

Julia Artemis

Literally every fan game mod of Pokemon just makes Ledian a bug/fighting pokemon and it's because it should just be that anyway and is probably the worst bug/flying Pokemon and just makes it harder to use. It still wouldn't be great but maybe has potential but really probably needs an evolution

Other than that would add that I think Girafarig should be a Fairy/Dark variant and gets an evolution that's more of an actual giraffe and not just a weird looking horse

Luthor

I want you to be wrong on this but I can't rule it out either. I personally think at the moment it seems more likely it will evolve regular Basculin into Basculegion but I can't rule out the possibility of a Hisui basculin. I did also think it was possible before Sword and Shield release Kanto Farfetch'd would directly evolve into Sirfetch'd but that was partially wishful thinking on my part.

I’ll agree that it’s a logical conclusion, but nothing’s set in stone until we get official confirmation. Honestly it’s not a big deal either way but we still need to consider the alternative until TPC says “Wyrdeer evolves from Johto Stantler, etc.”

For some bizarre reason after Gen 4 they got this weird Combee in their bonnet about regular evolutions to old Pokémon (with one exception, Sylveon). And I don’t get why…did some kid write in complaining their Lickitung learned Rollout in LeafGreen and nothing happened?

My guess (and it is a guess) is that it was because a few of the gen 4 evolutions were less popular than they hoped (though personally I think part of the issue was some of the new evolutions were not in Diamond and Pearl until post-game) so they decided to not have it in the next region and then each region was focused on new gimmicks that got it the way. I've also seen some people speculate its due to the Eviolite.

I'd love to see a Bug-type regional form. It would likely just be for currently existing Bug-types, since giving the Bug type to pokémon that don't already have arthropod design elements would be kinda weird.
However, there are a few non-Bug-type pokémon in the Bug egg group that could be plausible candidates to gain the Bug type with a regional form, like Gligar, Drapion or Flygon.

As for new type combinations for forms of current Bug-type pokémon, I'd like to see either more Bug/Ghost and Bug/Psychic pokémon, or the first Bug/Dark pokémon.

With regard to the pokémon already shown in trailers so far, here's a list of Bug-type pokémon I think could get a Hisuian form, along with plausible type combinations:

• Venomoth - a good candidate for a Bug/Ghost or Bug/Psychic form.
  • Ledian - Bug/Fighting would be fitting but might be too similar to regular Ledian in concept. I could also see a Bug/Fairy form being plausible.
  • Ariados - another good candidate for a Bug/Ghost form, as well as Bug/Dark.
  • Masquerain - once again, another good candidate for a Bug/Ghost form. Think Masquerain, but with gloomier antennae. However, I don't think a Bug/Water form would be likely (that's what regular Masquerain should have been imo), in the same way I don't think a Poison/Bug form for Drapion would be likely.
  • Durant - A Bug/Ground type to reflect a past form of Durant that had not adapted to Heatmor yet.

All of those I like. Strangely when it comes to Drapion the regional form I want is also Water/Bug (mostly because its Water Group 3) egg group and it being based on ancient water Scorpion but we've seen Drapion so I don't think it will happen in these games.

Literally every fan game mod of Pokemon just makes Ledian a bug/fighting pokemon and it's because it should just be that anyway and is probably the worst bug/flying Pokemon and just makes it harder to use. It still wouldn't be great but maybe has potential but really probably needs an evolution

Other than that would add that I think Girafarig should be a Fairy/Dark variant and gets an evolution that's more of an actual giraffe and not just a weird looking horse

In fairness as long as the stats of a Ledian option was better organised it would likely work better regardless of type. A regional evolution as well would be cool. Personally I'd go Bug/Dark and base it on the Harlequin Ladybird. As for Girafarig I've also always wanted a one that is more GIraffe Sized. I've also always wanted an elephant sized Donphan/Donphan evolution.

Last edited:

NeedsAName

All of those I like. Strangely when it comes to Drapion the regional form I want is also Water/Bug (mostly because its Water Group 3) egg group and it being based on ancient water Scorpion but we've seen Drapion so I don't think it will happen in these games.

In fairness as long as the stats of a Ledian option was better organised it would likely work better regardless of type. A regional evolution as well would be cool. Personally I'd go Bug/Dark and base it on the Harlequin Ladybird. As for Girafarig I've also always wanted a one that is more GIraffe Sized. I've also always wanted an elephant sized Donphan/Donphan evolution.

My dreams for those Pokémon's regional variants are a Bug/Dragon pink dragon millipede Drapion, Normal/Ghost Girafarig with sivatherium evolution, and an Ice/Fighting, Ice/Rock, or Ice/Dark woolly mammoth Phanpy+Donphan! That Ledian idea though is already amazing. For some reason, Donphan really doesn't feel like a Pokémon to me, maybe cause I've never seen it in a dex (it hasn't appeared in any since Hoenn!)

TRNRLogan

My guess (and it is a guess) is that it was because a few of the gen 4 evolutions were less popular than they hoped (though personally I think part of the issue was some of the new evolutions were not in Diamond and Pearl until post-game) so they decided to not have it in the next region and then each region was focused on new gimmicks that got it the way. I've also seen some people speculate its due to the Eviolite.
I mean if they didn't do evolutions for Gen 5 for that reason then they kinda had it coming given just how many evolutions were introduced in Gen 4.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I mean if they didn't do evolutions for Gen 5 for that reason then they kinda had it coming given just how many evolutions were introduced in Gen 4.

Ya, gen 4's dex comes to about 27.4& with 29 Pokemon in the dex being either a prevo or a evolution. Just more than a quarter.

I love gen 4, but even I feel like its weighed down by the amount of evolution focus the dex had.

It also took me a while to like/love the new ones cause besides a few it all just felt "bigger, rounder and just MORE" for most of them.

They could of dropped it due to backlash, but honeslty I thin Gamefreak just forgot it. Gen 5 was all focus on making on a all new 150 dex, gen 6 was focused on making the first 3d model game and mega evolution designs, gen 7 got focused on making regional variants work.

They are now coming back to the idea with regional evolutions to make these pokemon evolutions feel even more new when created. They can also alter stats to make evolutions work more as apposed to op middle evoultions like Electabuzz, Magmar, Scyther etc.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The thing with Ledian though--would they really put their attention on Ledian in the same generation as they introduced Orbeetle?