• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon & Hisuian Variants - Discussion Thread [Use SPOILER Tags]

MrJechgo

Well, as long as "Hisuian Growlithe" & "Hisuian Arcanine" has something similar to "Solid Rock" or "Filter", the weakness because of Fire/Rock typing shouldn't be an issue.
Solid Rock sounds more appropriate ;)

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Fire/Rock is a type that's probably better for a faster attacker than for something slow like Magcargo so i'm optimistic for whatever Husuian Growlithe evolves into.
Well, be it "Hisuian Arcanine" or an alternate Evolution (like Perrserker & Runerigus), it would have a BST of 555 like "Kantonian Arcanine".
And because it is said that "Hisuian Growlithe" is territorial and doesn't like to lose the Rock formation on its body (which is fragile), i get the feeling its evolution would be more defense oriented unlike "Kantonian Arcanine", which is more attack oriented.

So, i see a drop in Atk, S.Atk & Spd stats (110/100/95), while increase in HP, Def & S.Def (90/80/80) for the evolution of "Hisuian Growlithe".

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Hisuian Arcanine Fire/Rock is what I hope ;)

Aside from that, it's hard to guess ^^;
  • Phanpy / Donphan as Ice/Ground, now as whooly mammoths
  • Hoothoot / Noctowl as Ice/Psychic, now as snowy owls
  • Dunsparce as Normal/Poison
  • Swablu / Altaria as Electric/Dark, now as thunderclouds
  • Doduo / Dodrio as Electric/Ground, now as roadrunners
Some of my thoughts:
  • Mamoswine exists, so I doubt they will go with that route for the Phanpy line.
  • I would LOVE a snowy owl.
  • Dunsparce has always been assumed to evolve into a feathered dragon for some reason.
  • Cool idea for Swablu. Making it really wild before it got so cute and fluffy.
  • Would be funny if the Doduo line actually had wings before.

Luthor

Well, be it "Hisuian Arcanine" or an alternate Evolution (like Perrserker & Runerigus), it would have a BST of 555 like "Kantonian Arcanine".
And because it is said that "Hisuian Growlithe" is territorial and doesn't like to lose the Rock formation on its body (which is fragile), i get the feeling its evolution would be more defense oriented unlike "Kantonian Arcanine", which is more attack oriented.

So, i see a drop in Atk, S.Atk & Spd stats (110/100/95), while increase in HP, Def & S.Def (90/80/80) for the evolution of "Hisuian Growlithe".

How much would you expect a speed drop? Because I can see it drop but i'm hoping its a drop more similar to the speed drop of Alolan Dugtrio (compared to Kantonian Dugtrio) which there is a speed loss but only around 10. If its speed ends up like 30 (similar to Magcargo) that would be a bit disappointing.

MrJechgo

Some of my thoughts:
  • Mamoswine exists, so I doubt they will go with that route for the Phanpy line.
  • I would LOVE a snowy owl.
  • Dunsparce has always been assumed to evolve into a feathered dragon for some reason.
  • Cool idea for Swablu. Making it really wild before it got so cute and fluffy.
  • Would be funny if the Doduo line actually had wings before.
  1. Mamoswine is a boar, and I'd like an actual mammoth :p
  2. Yep ^_^
  3. We'll see ;)
  4. Yep :)
  5. It's a dodo mised with an ostrich, both being flightless birds :p

Kingudora

My favourite
I hope it isn't the case, but I wouldn't rule out Hisuian forms for Stantler and Basculin.

The wording used on the official site for Wyrdeer and Basculegion are very similar to the wording that was used on Sirfetch'd's page for SwSh.

The Farfetch’d of the Galar region can evolve into Sirfetch'd after experiencing many battles.
In the Hisui region, Stantler can evolve into Wyrdeer.
Basculin in the Hisui region can evolve into this Pokémon.

It is intentionally vague, but since Sirfetch'd's page didn't explicitly mention it evolving from Galarian Farfetch’d, Game Freak may have done the same with Wyrdeer and Basculegion.

Akashin

1. Mamoswine is a boar, and I'd like an actual mammoth :p

I mean, it's kinda right there in the name. Having two Ice/Ground mammoth Pokemon is a bit much. Even if it wasn't, I don't see how a Hisuian Donphan would be a better representation of a mammoth; I feel like you'd need a new Mammoth-esque Pokemon outright at that point.

I hope it isn't the case, but I wouldn't rule out Hisuian forms for Stantler and Basculin.

The wording used on the official site for Wyrdeer and Basculegion are very similar to the wording that was used on Sirfetch'd's page for SwSh.

It is intentionally vague, but since Sirfetch'd's page didn't explicitly mention it evolving from Galarian Farfetch’d, Game Freak may have done the same with Wyrdeer and Basculegion.

I had the same thought, but I'm hopeful that's not the case. It's perhaps a bit too much nitpicking of language, but saying, "The Farfetch'd of the Galar Region," sounds different than saying, "In the Hisui Region, X." The former more heavily implies that Farfetch'd at the base level differs from other Farfetch'd (by implying that the difference lies within Farfetch'd), whereas the latter sounds to more imply that the Region causes different evolutionary behavior in the Pokemon we are already familiar with.

I could very well be wrong, of course, but that's my interpretation of the language used.

It's worth noting as well that Wyrdeer feels like a natural thematic extension of the Stantler we already know. The horns are similar, as are their psychic abilities. Basculegion is a bit more tenuous (though it definitely resembles the regular Basculin aesthetically), though.

ShadowForce720

Except Basculegion looks to much like it evolves from a normal Basculin for it to really evolve from a regional variant of Basculin.

Basuclegion literally shares a lot of design elements and color scheme with the standard Basculin.

It literally doesn’t make any sense for Basculegion to share so many common design elements and color schemes with the standard Basculin only to then evolve from a regional variant.

If you look at the regional evolutions from Sword & Shield you will notice they don’t share a vast majority of their design elements and color scheme with the standard forms of their prevolutions.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that Basculegion does evolve from a standard Basculin and given the fact that Wydeer was shown with it and talked about in a similar context it’s likely that Wyrdeer does evolve from a standard Stantler.

Now could a regional variant of Stantler evolving into Wrymdeer make sense? Yes, however the same isn’t true when it comes to Basculegion as it shares to many design elements and color scheme with the standard Basculin, for the idea of it evolving from a regional variant of Basculin to be even remotely believable.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Some of my thoughts:
How many Pokemon based on domestic dogs and cats do we have?
How many butterflies?
How many foxes?
How many owls?
How many elephants?

So Mamoswine is irrelevant to the existence of a possible new mammoth Pokémon/Regional Form

And before you say "but those are different species of owl/butterfly/etc" there were several species of Mammoth, *three* of which lived in North America alone

MrJechgo

How many butterflies?
How many foxes?
How many owls?
How many elephants?

So Mamoswine is irrelevant to the existence of a possible new mammoth Pokémon/Regional Form

And before you say "but those are different species of owl/butterfly/etc" there were several species of Mammoth, *three* of which lived in North America alone
Mamoswine and Hisuian Donphan would both be Ice/Ground... with similar designs, so I can understand the concern, and we've seen Pokémon being hybrids of different things, such as Mamoswine being a mix of an elephant and a boar. To answer your question:
  • Dogs? Growlithe, Snubbull, Houdour, Smeargle, Lillipup, Electrike, Furfrou and Yamper (8; actual dog breeds)
  • Cats? Meowth, Skitty and Glameow (3; actual cat breeds)
  • Butterflies? Butterfree, Beautify and Vivillon (3)
  • Foxes? Vulpix, Zorua and Nickit (3)
  • Owls? Hoothoot and Rowlet (2)
  • Elephants? Phanpy and Cufant (2)
I cannot believe you didn't mention "birds", because there are several, especially of the Normal/Flying type XD

Tin-Tin-Alt

Mamoswine and Hisuian Donphan would both be Ice/Ground... with similar designs, so I can understand the concern, and we've seen Pokémon being hybrids of different things, such as Mamoswine being a mix of an elephant and a boar. To answer your question:
  • Dogs? Growlithe, Snubbull, Houdour, Smeargle, Lillipup, Electrike, Furfrou and Yamper (8; actual dog breeds)
  • Cats? Meowth, Skitty and Glameow (3; actual cat breeds)
  • Butterflies? Butterfree, Beautify and Vivillon (3)
  • Foxes? Vulpix, Zorua and Nickit (3)
  • Owls? Hoothoot and Rowlet (2)
  • Elephants? Phanpy and Cufant (2)
I cannot believe you didn't mention "birds", because there are several, especially of the Normal/Flying type XD

Cats: Purloin, Espurr, Litten.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Cats: Purloin, Espurr, Litten.
and Litleo, Shinx and sorta Mew too. Not sneasel as it's a weasel but I'll give a mention since I used think it was cat based.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Espurr I forgot... but Purloin is a leopard and Litten is a tiger, not actual cats ^^;
1. Leopards and tigers are cats, just not domesticated.
2. Purrloin and Litten have domestic cat characteristics, but evolve into more wild cats later on.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
If you think about about it Kalos is the only (core) region without regional forms. Kanto, Unova, Hoenn and Johto have the original forms of Pokémon that later received regional forms which made the original designs region retroactively become regional forms, Alola and Galar have straight up regional forms and Sinnoh has sorta got regional forms as Hisui is historical sinnoh.

1. Leopards and tigers are cats, just not domesticated.
The same applies to Lynxes and Lions, so Shinx and Litleo should count too.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
How many butterflies?
How many foxes?
How many owls?
How many elephants?

My point is that it would feel kinda redundant design wise and type-wise as suggested. I'm not saying it cannot and it would not happen.

Tin-Tin-Alt

If you think about it, most regional forms gain a dark type. Then followed by ice, psychic and steel types.
For example:
Rattata, AlolanMeowth, Grimer, Zigzagoon, Moltres (Dark).

Raichu. Ponyta. Artícuno. Braviary. (Psychic).

Sandshrew. Vulpix. MrMime. Darumaka. (Ice).

Diglett, Sandshrew, Galarian Meowth, Stunfisk (Steel).

Ninetales, Rapidash, Weezing. (Fairy).

Marowak, Corsola. (Ghost).

Farfetch'd. Zapdos. (Fighting).

Geodude (Electric), Exeggutor (Dragón), Marowak (Fire), Yamask (Ground), Slowpoke, (Poison), Growlithe (Rock).

So there are no regional form pokemon that get a grass, water, bug, flying or normal-type.
What pokemon do you think can get any of these types?

(I'm sorry if I express myself badly, I'm from Argentina and i still learning English.)

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Considering this is an older version of a region where she got snubbed while her elemental counterparts got evolutions, I'm crossing my fingers for a Hisuian Jynx.

And given the Eastern influence the Hisui formes seem to be going for, I think a regional Jynx with a Kabuki mask motif seems just perfect.

icon.jpg

Kingudora

My favourite
If you think about it, most regional forms gain a dark type. Then followed by ice, psychic and steel types.
For example:
Rattata, AlolanMeowth, Grimer, Zigzagoon, Moltres (Dark).

Raichu. Ponyta. Artícuno. Braviary. (Psychic).

Sandshrew. Vulpix. MrMime. Darumaka. (Ice).

Diglett, Sandshrew, Galarian Meowth, Stunfisk (Steel).

Ninetales, Rapidash, Weezing. (Fairy).

Marowak, Corsola. (Ghost).

Farfetch'd. Zapdos. (Fighting).

Geodude (Electric), Exeggutor (Dragón), Marowak (Fire), Yamask (Ground), Slowpoke, (Poison), Growlithe (Rock).

So there are no regional form pokemon that get a grass, water, bug, flying or normal-type.
What pokemon do you think can get any of these types?

(I'm sorry if I express myself badly, I'm from Argentina and i still learning English.)
When it comes to the Alolan forms, Game Freak seems to have focused on adding types that either were rare (Fairy, Dragon, Ghost) or not represented at all among the Gen I pokémon (Steel and Dark). In a sense, the Alolan forms may have been designed with LGPE in mind, so that all types get represented even with a limited pokédex.

The Galarian forms also has this trait, to a degree. G. Corsola added another Ghost-type to Gen II, while G. Weezing and G. Rapidash added a few more Fairy-types to Gen I. But it seems that most of the Galarian forms didn't have this type distribution in mind, and just went with types that fit the new design. For example, Gen III wasn't really lacking with Dark-types and neither was Gen V with Steel-types, but G. Zigzagoon and G. Stunfisk got those types anyway.

While it is too early to tell with the Hisuian forms, they seem to be attempts to give certain type combos new, 'fresh' stat distributions. Hisuian Braviary seems to be a physical Psychic/Flying attacker, while Hisuian Growlithe seems to hint at a Fire/Rock pokémon that isn't slower than molasses.