• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon & Hisuian Variants - Discussion Thread [Use SPOILER Tags]

Ultra Beast Lover

... That's exactly why I think they are getting new evos, regional forms are that, Pokémon adapting to a new environment, changing it's appearance
It's not impossible but I'm pretty sure that kind of thing takes a good couple hundred years, even for Pokemon. Unless Professor Laventon has been breeding them for years to adapt to Sinnoh's climate, I don't see them evolving into different forms. The only way I can see it happening is if Laventon says that they're odd for their species.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It's not impossible but I'm pretty sure that kind of thing takes a good couple hundred years, even for Pokemon. Unless Professor Laventon has been breeding them for years to adapt to Sinnoh's climate, I don't see them evolving into different forms. The only way I can see it happening is if Laventon says that they're odd for their species.
There are environmental variables in genetic expression, so it wouldn't be a stretch.
There are currently 5 Pokemon that can evolve into different forms depending on where they are for example.

Nerdy scientific talk ahead:
The environmental variable (e) which dictates that there is a variable that changes genetic expression.
A Pokemon that grows in Alola isn't the same as one that grows in Galar.

Another variable (g x e), dictates that two genotypes won't react the same to different environments.
Pokemon A might express a totally different change in phenotype that Pokemon B in any given change in environment.

Of course, many of these types of studies reflects on difference between species, and with Pokemon, species isn't synonymous with any species concepts in biology. If Mew contains the genes of all Pokemon, and many Pokemon can breed with one another, can Pokemon be considered virtually one species?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
If naturally induced, it would take at least tens of thousands of years, but more often hundreds of thousands to millions of years. There is a species of lizard in the southwestern US going through this right now, with two populations moving northwards on opposite sides of the Sierra Nevada mountain range (but are unable to travel through the moutnain range itself) that are diverging far enough genetically that they may be two different species now--but this was a process that took tens of thousands of years.

Selective breeding to deliberately induce genetic changes can allow this to happen within a century, sometimes within a lifetime, but it has to be a focused effort with a particular goal in mind, such as domestication or producing large fruits. There are many different cultivars of mango, for instance, all of them created in the past 100 years, but every cultivar was the result of selective breeding for particular traits. The Tommy Atkins mango was bred specifically to be tough and durable with a long shelf life while still being acceptable in flavor. (If you don't live in the tropics, chances are every mango you've eaten is a Tommy Atkins as it's one of the few able to be shipped around the world without it spoiling.) The Ataulfo mango was created to thrive in the Mexican state of Chiapas and taste as good as possible under its conditions; there was never any intent to export it until long after selective breeding on it had ended. The Carabao mango was bred to be as sweet as the breeders could make it, but it's one of the most fragile cultivars and is in abundance only in its birthplace of the Philippines. it's also really small for a mango.

Personally, I don't see any reason for Professor Levanton to have put Rowlet, Cyndaquil, and Oshawott through a selective breeding program, so I'm sure they'll just evolve into their regular familiar forms we've seen before. Chihuahua dogs look the same pretty much anywhere they're raised, after all.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
I wonder if Hisuian Growlithe will even evolve into Arcanine, it could be like Galar Meowth, and get a completely different evo. Dragon/Fire would be cool.

DannyDiglett

What about an evolution for Unown? It could serve as their leader. Since Unown can be found in the Solaceon Ruins it isn't unthinkable there would be a new story around it. If not an evolution a Hisuian Sigilyph could work as well. I still don't understand why these two Pokémon aren't related in any kind of way.

Totodi1e

The silent boy of mystery!
They seem to be pulling heavily from the beliefs of the Ainu people, but I could definitely seem some generic yokai variants with just a little kamuy influence. There is the theory that the leaked climbing ride Pokémon is a new tengu-based not!Shiftry evolution for Nuzleaf.
Yeah! A Grass/Steel new evolution for Nuzleaf or Hisuian Shiftry would be cool as a climbing riding Pokémon.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, please! Maybe Fighting/Poison, Grass/Dark, Ice/Normal, and pure Rock?
I was thinking if Crabrawler goes in the underground instead of climbing Mt. Coronet, it could evolve into a Fighting/Ground Crabominable. The rest, I think would be awesome.

Kalos was a bit too recent to get regional forms in 2016 and 2019, but 2022 will mean it's been 9 years since Kalos and Galar was okay with regional variants of Pokémon introduced in Unova 9 years ago. I would love Hisuian forms for Pyroar, Furfrou, Gogoat, and Avalugg, but feel they'd probably only do two lines. Maybe Clawitzer and Gogoat due to mono-typings and little notability?

Water could go to one of the land-dwelling aquatic mons like Hippopotas or Garchomp deciding to return to the sea, Flying to something like a lighter Dodrio or origami Porygon, Normal to maybe a Poison-, Dark-, or Steel-type mammal Pokémon like Sneasel or the Nidorans mellowing out and becoming more natural, Grass to a modern Steel-type's primitive ancestors like a wooden Voltorb or Forretress, and Bug to an already insectoid 'mon like Drapion or Lurantis.
Love the origami Porygon idea - would be a great Flying Pokémon. A new Meowth could become Grass-type, involved with agriculture in Hisui.

Gaining Bug-type is a tricky choice, isn't? Just don't seem to fit most of not arthropod-like Pokémon (Crabrawler, Flygon, Clawitzer, Drapion...). But could it be a joke? A bugged Porygon-Z origami or Elgyem and Beheeyem bug-eyed monster theme (I remember some fake variant of this one)?

Ultra Beast Lover

What about an evolution for Unown? It could serve as their leader. Since Unown can be found in the Solaceon Ruins it isn't unthinkable there would be a new story around it. If not an evolution a Hisuian Sigilyph could work as well. I still don't understand why these two Pokémon aren't related in any kind of way.
It'd be pretty funny if Unown got something that made it go from the worst Pokemon to one of the best.

ShadowForce720

It'd be pretty funny if Unown got something that made it go from the worst Pokemon to one of the best.
I think it has been suggested before but I think it would be a cool idea if the evolution for Unown was a reward for collecting all of the Unown.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Thinking about it, might not be the most popular choice, but with Gen 8 giving Mr. Mime, Mr. Rime and Gen 4 originally having Electivire/Magmortar for Electabuzz/Magmar.

I think Legends Arceus is a good chance for a Jynx evoultion to finally happen and complete the gen 1 psychic duo/gen 1 counterpart trio in terms of all getting a baby evolution and evolution.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I feel like GF won't stop until all Pokemon in Gen 1 are touched one way or another. This is a pandering trend I observed with GF in the past games.

So it really wouldn't be surprising if Primeape, Electrode and Seaking suddenly gets a 3rd evo... Or Venomoth, Dewgong and Jynx gets a Hisuian form.

At one point even the unpopular pokémon will get their due. I see you left out Parasect.. xD

NeedsAName

At one point even the unpopular pokémon will get their due. I see you left out Parasect.. xD
According to one leaker, we were supposed to get a Bug/Fairy-type variant in Alola where it got taken over by Morelull. I so wish that existed... But we do get a 2-stage Grass-type mushroom every odd-numbered generation (Paras, Shroomish, Foongus, and Morelull) so maybe Gen IX could have a new 'mon to take over Parasect for a cool regional variant and evolution. If I had to pick a new type combo for it, I'd like Bug/Dark or maybe Bug/Psychic, but there's so much potential.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Here are my predictions for new regional variations and evolutions:

Mandibuzz- It is Braviary’s counterpart and it seems odd that only one of them would get a new form. I’m thinking Mandibuzz will become a Ghost Type and be based on a witchdoctor.

Dunsparce- This would be a good time for an evolution that everyone wants.

New forms of Unown with new symbols

Hisuian Mimikyu- Wears a more generic looking sack and the lore that very few people see it and future games set in the present continue to suggest that Mimikyu only took up its more iconic Pikachu disguise around 1997 after it saw how popular Pikachu had become. This regional form is inspired by the sheet ghosts you see in cartoons. It also has the ability to float which it’s modern form has lost due to its Pikachu disguise and the stick tail being too heavy for it to lift off the ground.

Red and Blue

I'd like to see a new Hisuian evolution for Pikachu. Something like an Electric/Fighting counterpart to Raichu

Luthor

I think Sudowoodo is very much in the vein of Stantler and Basculin as in a Pokemon that would really benefit from an evolution. Sudowoodo is a currently a fully evolved Pokemon that doesn't get Hyper beam or Giga impact and has a lower base stat total than Chatot.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
According to one leaker, we were supposed to get a Bug/Fairy-type variant in Alola where it got taken over by Morelull. I so wish that existed... But we do get a 2-stage Grass-type mushroom every odd-numbered generation (Paras, Shroomish, Foongus, and Morelull) so maybe Gen IX could have a new 'mon to take over Parasect for a cool regional variant and evolution. If I had to pick a new type combo for it, I'd like Bug/Dark or maybe Bug/Psychic, but there's so much potential.
That was part of the fake leaks. But ya, I liked that idea for Parasect, I still think Shiinotic's draining abilities could probably help by weakening the control of the mushroom on Parasect.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think Sudowoodo is very much in the vein of Stantler and Basculin as in a Pokemon that would really benefit from an evolution. Sudowoodo is a currently a fully evolved Pokemon that doesn't get Hyper beam or Giga impact and has a lower base stat total than Chatot.
I think a Sudowoodo evolution would be really neat to see especially if it gains the Fighting type.

ShadowForce720

I definitely think Arceus is getting a new form, probably its true/origin form or something?
Also I wonder if the Hisuian forms will be available in future games sent in present day.
The Hisuian forms aren’t really that different from the other regional forms, so I’m not seeing why wouldn’t be able to transfer them over or obtain them in future games.

I mean look how the other regional forms are being handled, you were able to trade and transfer the Alola forms to the Let’s Go games even though those games were strictly limited to the first 151 + Meltan and Melmetal.

I mean heck your able to send Pokémon from Pokémon Legends Arceus to Pokémon Home.

Dragon Pulse

The Hisuian forms aren’t really that different from the other regional forms, so I’m not seeing why wouldn’t be able to transfer them over or obtain them in future games.

I mean look how the other regional forms are being handled, you were able to trade and transfer the Alola forms to the Let’s Go games even though those games were strictly limited to the first 151 + Meltan and Melmetal.

I mean heck your able to send Pokémon from Pokémon Legends Arceus to Pokémon Home.
The reason why I'm wondering if it would be possible is because LA is set in the past, and I'm unsure if the Hisuian forms would still be around for them to make sense appearing in present day titles, unless they haven't gone extinct or pull some "time travel" excuse.