• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon & Hisuian Variants - Discussion Thread [Use SPOILER Tags]

ShadowForce720

The reason why I'm wondering if it would be possible is because LA is set in the past, and I'm unsure if the Hisuian forms would still be around for them to make sense appearing in present day titles, unless they haven't gone extinct or pull some "time travel" excuse.
Look to put it simply because Pokémon LA is a main series game it means any new Pokémon or regional forms that it introduces will appear in some of the future main series games.

There not going to go out of their way to create new Pokémon and regional forms in Pokémon LA and then just essentially abandoned them and throw them away in future main series games.

Pokémon LA being set in the past had literally no effect on whether or not the Hisuian Forms and other new Pokémon are available in future games.

Ultra Beast Lover

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of these forms existing somewhere. There's been a number of cases where a species was thought to be extinct but was actually still around and just moved a bit away from humans. It's possible that some Hisuian travelers went out to discover new lands and brought these forms with them so while the Hisuian ones died out the ones in another region survived.

Luthor

The reason why I'm wondering if it would be possible is because LA is set in the past, and I'm unsure if the Hisuian forms would still be around for them to make sense appearing in present day titles, unless they haven't gone extinct or pull some "time travel" excuse.

Its already possible to time travel pokemon as my Gengar has the description Seems to have traveled across space and time to join you from pokemon go. So that shouldn't be an issue.

As for future games it to me is a fairly simple explanation that someone rediscovered how to breed/evolve certain Pokemon (personally I like it to be Rowan given his ancestor may have kept records) or there were wild ones still alive just undiscovered. Its not even the first time this has happened. Mamoswine was thought to be extinct and now these are a common Pokemon in multiple regions. Omanyte was purely a fossil pokemon and according to Sword it now seems to be an invasive species.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
But time travel is an actual thing in Pokemon. That's how transferring works.

Dragon Pulse

But time travel is an actual thing in Pokemon. That's how transferring works.
I'm aware since the first thing my mind went to is the "travelled through time and space" description on a transferred Pokémon, which is what I'd assume would make most sense for Hisuian forms. For the other replies suggesting they'll obviously return, I mean you honestly can't be so sure since Mega Evolutions were abandoned and these forms might simply be exclusive to this game since LA is quite different (despite still being a main series game).

ShadowForce720

I'm aware since the first thing my mind went to is the "travelled through time and space" description on a transferred Pokémon, which is what I'd assume would make most sense for Hisuian forms. For the other replies suggesting they'll obviously return, I mean you honestly can't be so sure since Mega Evolutions were abandoned and these forms might simply be exclusive to this game since LA is quite different (despite still being a main series game).
That comparison doesn’t work, as Mega Evolutions are temporary transformations that occur during battle while regional variants are more akin to real world evolution.

So no, there isn’t really any reason to think that if Growlithe and Braviary are in a future main series game that Hisuian Growlithe and Braviary won’t at the very least be transferable as well.

Also Mega Evolutions aren’t abandoned they have already said that if the mechanic lines up with what to do for a future game then they will use it. I mean heck let’s not forget that Mega Evolutions have been introduced in Pokémon Go , so the mechanic is not dead nor abandoned.

At the very least it will be in the X&Y remakes however given it’s popular it will likely return in some other main series games in the future.

So no, there not going to go out of their to make new regional variants for Pokémon Legends Arceus and go out of their way to make LA compatible with Pokémon Home only to then turned around and abandoned and throw away all the new Pokémon and regional variants being introduced in LA.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
That comparison doesn’t work, as Mega Evolutions are temporary transformations that occur during battle while regional variants are more akin to real world evolution.

So no, there isn’t really any reason to think that if Growlithe and Braviary are in a future main series game that Hisuian Growlithe and Braviary won’t at the very least be transferable as well.

Also Mega Evolutions aren’t abandoned they have already said that if the mechanic lines up with what to do for a future game then they will use it. I mean heck let’s not forget that Mega Evolutions have been introduced in Pokémon Go , so the mechanic is not dead nor abandoned.

At the very least it will be in the X&Y remakes however given it’s popular it will likely return in some other main series games in the future.

So no, there not going to go out of their to make new regional variants for Pokémon Legends Arceus and go out of their way to make LA compatible with Pokémon Home only to then turned around and abandoned and throw away all the new Pokémon and regional variants being introduced in LA.
The Hisuian Pokemon could technically appear in future games with no real problems. Pokémon seem to not age while inside a Pokéball as we’ve seen it numerous times in the anime. They also seem to be immune to outside forces as the Sandshrew in the one episode was perfectly fine even though it was underwater in its Pokéball for over a year and the OI had the Gastly and Haunter who were inside their balls for 200 years submerged in a ship wreck.

Last edited:

Phillies

Couldn't they just introduce a mechanic that allows you to revive them similar to the fossils.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
So many ways Hissuian Pokemon can be added in future games:

-Accessable by trade from Home
-NPC trade for similar Pokemon, "Hey look at this rare species I found"
-Rare encounters in a Safari Zone/Pal Park/Great Marsh area
-Make them ecounters for a Mirage Island/Hidden Grotto/ Hideaway/ Hoopa Ring/ Ultra Wormhole mechanic
-Rewards for a fetch quest like Totem Pokemon for stickers or Alolan forms for Diglett
-Regional versions of Wyrdeer, Basculegion and the like.

Kingudora

My favourite
Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if Basculegion and Wyrdeer evolved by knowing Ancient Power in games after Pokémon Legends: Arceus.

The flavour of that method of evolution is a pokémon evolving into an ancient form, which at one point it stopped doing.

Luthor

Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if Basculegion and Wyrdeer evolved by knowing Ancient Power in games after Pokémon Legends: Arceus.

The flavour of that method of evolution is a pokémon evolving into an ancient form, which at one point it stopped doing.

Plus it kinda fits given that all the Pokemon that can do this currently (Tangrowth, Yanmega and Mamoswine) first did this in Sinnoh games so it suits quite well. They'd have to add ancient power to Stantler and Basculin but they could do that.

ShadowForce720

So if we do get a Hisuian Meowth(which we probably will) which type do you think it will be?

So far the Kanto Meowth line is Normal type while it’s Alolan Form is Dark type and it’s Galarian Form is Steel type.

So that leaves the following types to choose from:

Fire
Water
Grass
Electric
Ice
Flying
Dragon
Bug
Poison
Ghost
Psychic
Fighting
Fairy
Ground
Rock

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
So if we do get a Hisuian Meowth(which we probably will) which type do you think it will be?

So far the Kanto Meowth line is Normal type while it’s Alolan Form is Dark type and it’s Galarian Form is Steel type.

Fire
Water
Grass
Electric
Ice
Flying
Dragon
Bug
Poison
Ghost
Psychic
Fighting
Fairy
Ground
Rock

Cause of Sinnoh's environment I'd say and the typings we've already seen we could get Rock, Ice or Ground type to counterpart Hissuian Arcanine (already have two psychic Hissuian forms).

Who knows, as much as I want Meowth to have a variant every gen, I have no idea if Galarian Meowth completely fills in this gen or not.

Would be a bit odd to have two variants for one Pokemon in one gen. Actually now that I think about it, since Arcanine and Persian are usually counterparts, I'm wondering if Hissuian Arcanine is the counterpart to Perrserker. Fire/Rock - Steel.

Last edited:

Luthor

Fire
Water
Grass
Electric
Ice
Flying
Dragon
Bug
Poison
Ghost
Psychic
Fighting
Fairy
Ground
Rock

My guess is it probably won't be bug or dragon because those designs while cool sound very difficult to design. Also so far all the Meowth forms are week to fighting type so Ice or rock would be my guess (though that is based on very little) personally I'd prefer Ghost, Ice or Fighting

Last edited:

TRNRLogan

I think it has been suggested before but I think it would be a cool idea if the evolution for Unown was a reward for collecting all of the Unown.

NeedsAName

Fire
Water
Grass
Electric
Ice
Flying
Dragon
Bug
Poison
Ghost
Psychic
Fighting
Fairy
Ground
Rock
Also, A-Meowth and G-Meowth used solo-typings that were quite rare before Gens VII and VIII, respectively. Mono Dark had only 9, and Mono Steel had only 6. Assuming the current number of Pokémon ONLY with that type must either be 10 or lower or the fully-evolved number can't be higher than 5, that means we could get the following types:

Dragon (only 4 fully-evolved)

or

Flying (no comment necessary)

I don't see either of those types happening given the immense redesign necessary for Meowth, but loosening the requirements a bit does allow for Fairy, Ghost, Ground, Poison, or Rock, which I could certainly see happening in Hisui, although Rock and Fairy feel the most likely, followed shortly after by Ghost.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
I highly doubt they will introduce another regional Meowth. I think GF has to know that they were already "pushing" it by introducing 2 Meowth regionals when the majority of other Pokemon haven't gotten any. To me, it appears that they only introduced Galarian Meowth because they got a particularly good Viking-based inspiration for it. I don't think it was intended to be a set pattern that they always release a new Meowth variant, and if they do it a third time, the entire Pokemon community is going to be scratching its head wondering, why is Meowth so special? If they do it a 3rd time it will almost appear to be a running gag at that point. I think they know the fans will actually be a little disgruntled by it, since it's seemingly taking up space for other previously ignored Pokemon to get new forms.

A lot of people are arguing about the logic inconsistency with introducing new forms into a region that's based in the past. Clearly, that is a logic flaw, but with videogames, logic takes a backseat to cool new features. That's always how videogames and Pokemon games have been. If they have to sacrifice "making sense" in order to make the new games extra exciting and therefore buyable then it's worth it. For example, the riding Pokemon in Gen 7. It made no sense that you can summon a random Pokemon in the middle of nowhere and hop on its back. They could have explained it by Abra Teleportation or something else easily maleable in the Pokemon universe but they chose not to, because the logic in videogame lores can have holes in it and still be enjoyable. It was meant to be an exciting feature and so they went with it, just like the new Hisuian forms, and thank goodness they did, because so far the new forms are completely fantastic. Sword and Shield did not convince me to buy a Switch but if they release more Hisuian forms like the ones they've shown, I just might.

Also I think that the Pokemon Company sort of "needs to" release new forms & new Pokemon as much as they can, thanks to Pokemon Go, which has already released the majority of Pokemon content available in the main series and will soon begin to run out of new content they can release. And if they run out of content, then they run out of ways to make money off micro-transactions. So I think it's financially important for them to cram in as much new content into any new games as they can, so Hisuian forms & evolutions are helpful in that way

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I highly doubt they will introduce another regional Meowth. I think GF has to know that they were already "pushing" it by introducing 2 Meowth regionals when the majority of other Pokemon haven't gotten any. To me, it appears that they only introduced Galarian Meowth because they got a particularly good Viking-based inspiration for it. I don't think it was intended to be a set pattern that they always release a new Meowth variant, and if they do it a third time, the entire Pokemon community is going to be scratching its head wondering, why is Meowth so special? If they do it a 3rd time it will almost appear to be a running gag at that point. I think they know the fans will actually be a little disgruntled by it, since it's seemingly taking up space for other previously ignored Pokemon to get new forms.

Also I think that the Pokemon Company sort of "needs to" release new forms & new Pokemon as much as they can, thanks to Pokemon Go, which has already released the majority of Pokemon content available in the main series and will soon begin to run out of new content they can release. And if they run out of content, then they run out of ways to make money off micro-transactions. So I think it's financially important for them to cram in as much new content into any new games as they can, so Hisuian forms & evolutions are helpful in that way
I think when it comes to Meowth they are using it as the mascot of regional variants since it’s such a recognizable Pokémon. I have no issue with them using Meowth that way. Some Pokémon won’t get regional forms and that’s ok. I just enjoy it for what it is and tend not to over analyze it.

As far as “need to” release new forms and Pokémon… I agree. It gives players a reason to buy each game since each game releases a new Pokémon or regional form. It does help Go to release everything slowly in order to keep micro transactions flowing but there will always be people hunting and grabbing limited release shiny Pokémon and everything. But using Go to advertise the new games is always good such as releasing Alola forms when S/M came out.