• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon & Hisuian Variants - Discussion Thread [Use SPOILER Tags]

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
The thing with Ledian though--would they really put their attention on Ledian in the same generation as they introduced Orbeetle?
Bug/Fighting space hero/power ranger/kamen rider vs Bug/Psychic alien samurai/ufo

yes please.

Akashin

The thing with Ledian though--would they really put their attention on Ledian in the same generation as they introduced Orbeetle?
Is there any reason why not? None of the Bugs we got in Gen IV prevented us from getting Yanmega.

Personally, I'd like to see a Bug/Dark evolution for Ledian. Play into its apparent nocturnal habits, let it learn Moonlight (pretty odd that it can't already, given its Pokedex entries), and do something with that.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Seeing as Basculegion seems to be this game's answer to Surf, Hisui Braviary replaces Fly, and Wyrdeer seems to be filling a similar role to the Bike in past games (like Ride Tauros in Alola), I can imagine a theme where every new regional variant or regional evolution in Hisui is some kind of stand-in for a HM or other old mechanics. Those leaks from a while ago that show what looks like a monkey Pokemon scaling a hill could be this game's version of Rock Climb, and then we could also have a Rock Smash one, a Strength one (Hisui Arcanine?), and perhaps even a Dowsing Machine one. I won't say for certain this is what they'll do, but it looks like that could be the theme they're going with.

NeedsAName

Seeing as Basculegion seems to be this game's answer to Surf, Hisui Braviary replaces Fly, and Wyrdeer seems to be filling a similar role to the Bike in past games (like Ride Tauros in Alola), I can imagine a theme where every new regional variant or regional evolution in Hisui is some kind of stand-in for a HM or other old mechanics. Those leaks from a while ago that show what looks like a monkey Pokemon scaling a hill could be this game's version of Rock Climb, and then we could also have a Rock Smash one, a Strength one (Hisui Arcanine?), and perhaps even a Dowsing Machine one. I won't say for certain this is what they'll do, but it looks like that could be the theme they're going with.
Like the idea of a Dowsing Machine ride and that leak with the climbing mon (Nuzleaf split evo?) is basically confirmed. Remaining HMs/Ride functions (from any game) besides Surf and Fly are as follows:

Cut, Defog, Dive, Flash, Rock Climb, Rock Smash, Strength, Waterfall, Whirlpool, Stoutland Search, Mudsdale Gallop. We can probably safely remove Cut (no ride equivalent in Gen VII), Defog (exclusive to Gen IV, even with fog being brought back in Gen VIII), and Whirlpool (little usage and later phased out). This leaves Dive, Flash, Rock Climb (leak image), Rock Smash, Strength, searching, and crossing rocky terrain. My personal guesses are that we still have yet to see Rock Smash, Strength, a searching mon, and maybe Dive to look forward to. Maybe a Primeape evolution, your Hisuian Arcanine idea, Hisuian Donphan (both Stoutland and Donphan evolve from Pokémon with Pickup as a possible ability), and a Hisuian Wailmer?

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I wonder if Swanna or Pikipek will get anything? Basically weren't in Sword and Shield, and have been forgotten especially since Swanna hasn’t been in any Dex since Gen 5. not counting ultra wormholes.
Swellow and Pidgeot also were missing from the SwSh dex.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
I wonder if Swanna or Pikipek will get anything? Basically weren't in Sword and Shield, and have been forgotten especially since Swanna hasn’t been in any Dex since Gen 5. not counting ultra wormholes.
Swans are essentially considered to be sacred in the United Kingdom which is exactly why Ducklett and Swanna aren’t part of the Galar Pokédex, IOA Pokédex or CT Pokédex so no, Ducklett and Swanna haven’t been forgotten.

The last time that Ducklett and Swanna were part of a regional Pokédex was in X and Y (Gen 6).

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Is there any reason why not? None of the Bugs we got in Gen IV prevented us from getting Yanmega.

Personally, I'd like to see a Bug/Dark evolution for Ledian. Play into its apparent nocturnal habits, let it learn Moonlight (pretty odd that it can't already, given its Pokedex entries), and do something with that.
Except there weren't any other dragonfly-themed Pokémon at that time. It'd be like if Wyrdeer was introduced in the same generation as Deerling/Sawsbuck, or if Nickit/Thievul was introduced one generation earlier and shares attention with Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales. Just as it would feel redundant to introduce two evolution lines based on deer or on foxes in the same generation, it would feel redundant to have two evolution lines based on ladybirds.

Like the idea of a Dowsing Machine ride and that leak with the climbing mon (Nuzleaf split evo?) is basically confirmed.
I susect Wyrdeer will function similarly to Stoutland Search. Its antlers are shaped like some types of dowsing rods.

Akashin

Except there weren't any other dragonfly-themed Pokémon at that time. It'd be like if Wyrdeer was introduced in the same generation as Deerling/Sawsbuck, or if Nickit/Thievul was introduced one generation earlier and shares attention with Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales. Just as it would feel redundant to introduce two evolution lines based on deer or on foxes in the same generation, it would feel redundant to have two evolution lines based on ladybirds.
Oh, I see what you're getting at. I'd be more inclined to agree were we talking about new Pokemon in a third version/sequel/whatever, but given that Legends is almost entirely separated from Sword and Shield, I don't really see it as a problem. Orbeetle will be a bit over two years old by the time this game comes out, so I'd think that any spotlight they might have been interested in preserving would have been turned off by now.

I could be wrong, and that's all assuming Ledian is a realistic consideration for getting anything new in the first place. I'd really like it to, because Ledian needs a healthy amount of miracles and duct tape to patch itself together with, and I can't see Orbeetle being any more an obstacle to Ledian than Yamper and Boltund were to Growlithe and whatever it'll evolve into.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Pikipek I don't think is forgotten. Toucannon does have a pretty good signature move even if it takes two turns to use. Beak Cannon can cause a decent amount of damage if it managed to Burn its opponent during the first turn.

Julia Artemis

Pikipek I don't think is forgotten. Toucannon does have a pretty good signature move even if it takes two turns to use. Beak Cannon can cause a decent amount of damage if it managed to Burn its opponent during the first turn.
Yeah love Toucannon maybe fourth favorite early bird Pokemon after Corviknight, Staraptor and Talonflame. As you said Beak Blast is great but only real way to run it is Skill Link with Roost, Bullet Seed and Rock Blast. Maybe need to do a replay of Ultra Moon to see if it's as good as I remember

Luthor

I do want a Toucannon regional variant and/or a branched evolution of Trumbeak. The line has a lot of potential especially with the right type combination. That being said I don't think we will get one this time around mainly because I think they are going to lean in heavy to the Hokkaido influences when it comes to the regional and I think it will be hard to do with with Toucannon. Not impossible but hard. But I can't lie it would be very cool and I would love for them to prove me wrong.

Luthor

One Normal/Flying I could see as plausibly getting a regional form (assuming they are willing to give it to another flying type regional variant) is Unfezant. There are multiple Pheasants in the region Sinnoh is based on. Plus there are legends featuring Pheasants.

Last edited:

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Since it appears as though these forms will be inspired by Hokkaido's animals it might be a good idea to look into the fauna in the area.
I've been looking up local wildlife there and found these websites:

Wild Animal Paradise! 9 Animals you should watch in Hokkaido!https://hokkaido-labo.com › hokkaido-wild-animals-9368
Wildlife - Hokkaido Nature Guidehttps://best.visit-hokkaido.jp › nature › experience › wil...

Personally I'm hoping for a Hisuian Zoroark that's based on a red fox.
We have several fox Pokemon that are red. I think that would suffice.
We even finally got a real Red Fox in Nickit and Thievel instead of just variants of "Kitsune".
Kantonian Vulpix is already confirmed so we have the Red Fox covered already.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Dang a lot of ppl seem to want a regional Trumbeak. Toucannon was a cool if a bit niche and simplistic.
Toucannon is one of the best designed final stage of a regional bird we’ve had so far but I think people want an alternate evolution because of how random Toucannon seems to fit in its line. Nothing about its design makes you draw the connection to Pikipek and Trumbeak which are both woodpeckers. I know there are several Pokémon that change animal inspirations such as Magikarp and Gyrados but they tend to have a reason for the drastic change. Trumbeak into Toucannon makes no sense.