• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon & Hisuian Variants - Discussion Thread [Use SPOILER Tags]

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Toucannon is one of the best designed final stage of a regional bird we’ve had so far but I think people want an alternate evolution because of how random Toucannon seems to fit in its line. Nothing about its design makes you draw the connection to Pikipek and Trumbeak which are both woodpeckers. I know there are several Pokémon that change animal inspirations such as Magikarp and Gyrados but they tend to have a reason for the drastic change. Trumbeak into Toucannon makes no sense.

Agreed I love my Toucannon, but Toucans are actually Piciformes which is in the Picidae family (Woodpeckers). So there is actually more of a connection unlike say Remoraid and Octillery.

However thats not to say I wasn't excited for a cool more traditional woodpeck pokemon.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Maybe Spiritomb will get something new...
I’m thinking maybe access to Flash Cannon to help counter Fariy Pokémon. It seems like something Spiritomb would be able to do as it is basically a collection of many different spirits confined to its Odd Keystone. What’s not to say it could gather light and shoot it out as a damaging beam of light?

Luthor

One I'd like to see an Ariados evolution. Ariados for me probably needs an evolution similar to Stantler (a regional form would be ok but I think it needs the stat increase that comes with an evolution). I thought it was possible that they could base in on the Jorōgumo given that one of Ariados's inspirations seems to be the Jorō spider (Jorōgumo) and I think with that naming connection its easy to see why. Plus the myth seem to indicate after many years an Orb spider can become a Jorōgumo (it said 400 years in myths but Pokemon could have a sped up way similar to Onix and Steelix) . All seemed to work out well until as writing this I found out that the Jorō spider is found throughout Japan except Hokkaido (the region sinnoh based on). Hokkaido seems to have very few spiders in fact. Still I hold out hope even if that now makes it seem less likely.

Captain Jigglypuff

What about Venonat and Venomoth getting new forms or a new evolution? They are the only Gen 1 Pokémon (apart from Mew who has been treated as an extra and a non-requirement for regional Dex completion) that has never been in a regional Dex outside of Kanto and Johto. Doduo and Dodrio were in Hoenn, Meowth has Alola and Johto, Mewtwo was in Kalos, and Pikachu has been in every regional Dex except Unova. The Venonat line deserves some love.

NeedsAName

Agreed I love my Toucannon, but Toucans are actually Piciformes which is in the Picidae family (Woodpeckers). So there is actually more of a connection unlike say Remoraid and Octillery.

However thats not to say I wasn't excited for a cool more traditional woodpeck pokemon.
Most ideas I see are Steel/Flying, so I hope it wouldn't be that. Maybe a Flying/Ghost-type with Ivory-billed woodpecker elements?

NeedsAName

I'd say it's far too early for regional variants or evolutions for anything in Gen 6, 7 or 8, the originals haven't been around long enough. Gen 5 can just about get away with it because Black and White are now more than a decade old at this point.
And Kalos can get away with it in PL:A, because Unova was 9 years old when SwSh came out, but yeah, it's too early for Alola.

ShadowForce720

I'd say it's far too early for regional variants or evolutions for anything in Gen 6, 7 or 8, the originals haven't been around long enough. Gen 5 can just about get away with it because Black and White are now more than a decade old at this point.
I mean considering that they had no problem with giving some gen 3 Pokémon new evolutions and preevolutions in Diamond and Pearl, I’m not sure why they would suddenly have a problem doing it for gen 6 or 7 Pokémon in LA.

Now if they some for gen 6 or gen 7 or even gen 8 I don’t expect a lot of those Pokémon from those generations getting new evolutions or regional variants, but a small group of them getting it is possible.

treatyofversigh

DPP was… what, fifteen years ago years ago now, though, and they haven’t really done that like that since. The regional variants and evolutions have all been for Pokémon that have been around longer than gen 6 and 7. It’s always possible they’ll get new stuff (and I’d be happy if they did), but I think there’s still plenty of older Pokémon that could use redesigns/evolutions (looking at you especially, Dunsparce) before they get into some of the newer ones. I could see maybe one or two from 6 and 7 getting new stuff, if any of them do, but probably not more than that, and I don’t see it being super likely.

Luthor

And Kalos can get away with it in PL:A, because Unova was 9 years old when SwSh came out, but yeah, it's too early for Alola.

Kalos is a tricky region given they introduced far less new Pokemon (compensated for with the Megas) than most other regions. Some of which will be hard to fit into a game like this. ( I don't expect the fossils and the starters of Kalos for example). Its definitely doable to include them but I do think they will be limited. I've said before I'd love Goodra to get one and I do think with the right typing and design it could work well. There's others I'd like though I will admit.

Phillies

I wonder if they could repurpose Vivillon as a regional variant. It wouldn't be hard for them to assign the various patterns to regions. It also would have the benefit of making the patterns more accessible to players.

Captain Jigglypuff

I wonder if they could repurpose Vivillon as a regional variant. It wouldn't be hard for them to assign the various patterns to regions. It also would have the benefit of making the patterns more accessible to players.
My idea is to make certain patterns only appear in appropriate parts of a region such as Polar and Tundra being found exclusively in snowy fields, Ocean in large aquatic areas that have sandy beaches, and Sandstorm in deserts. It’s sort of like the Shellos line in Sinnoh but with more locations.

Phillies

My idea is to make certain patterns only appear in appropriate parts of a region such as Polar and Tundra being found exclusively in snowy fields, Ocean in large aquatic areas that have sandy beaches, and Sandstorm in deserts. It’s sort of like the Shellos line in Sinnoh but with more locations.
That works too. Anything to make it easier to shiny hunt the different patterns works form me. The idea of trading 1000's of eggs to get all of the different shiny patterns makes my head hurt.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
So since everyone’s posting their ideas I guess I’ll throw mine in as well. Let’s get regional variants for Mawile and Sableye with permanent evolutions. Maybe throw in a little flavor text about an uncanny similarity to a phenomenon in the Kalos region.

Hisuian Mawile and evo - Dark/Fairy, Hisuian Sableye and evo - Steel/Ghost

Luthor

I like that idea given that based on your idea it would be quite plausible to find all the forms which is hard to do at present as the online trading is not set up well for trading forms.

Nave

Pokémon I want to see get evolutions:
Heliolisk (With more defense. Turn it into a Parabolic Charge beast setting off Lightning Rod while keeping itself healthy)
Dunsparce (So many possibilities with this one. Could really have a cool evolution. Bug/Dragon type maybe?)
Qwilfish (I got a fakemon named Sharkupine, which is an evolution of Qwilfish)
Girfarig (I've loved fakemon concepts with the tail being dominant)
Jynx (It's counterparts in Electrabuzz and Magmar got evolutions, while this never did. Could also move away from it's controversial design)

Pokémon I want to see get regional variants:
Dragonite (Could be an elegant eastern dragon continuation of Dragonair, or a true Dragon Knight with a Dragon/Steel typing)
Tauros (Very underrated Pokémon that deserves to come back into the spotlight)
Lanturn (Angler fish are scary; this isn't at all)
Flygon (It's mega evolution was unfortunately scrapped. So give it a regional variant. Could also be Bug/Dragon)
Onix (Lots of possibilities for an added typing and regional evolution)

Last edited:

ckd89

Pokémon regional variants I want to see a electivire variant Pikachu hisuian variant arcanine variant rayquaza variant and evolutions I want to see mega evolution of scizor dunsparce a third evolution of lopunny Pokémon I expect to return from swsh spectrier glastrier dracozolt and my fave sword starter scorbunny

Last edited:

Luthor

What about Venonat and Venomoth getting new forms or a new evolution? They are the only Gen 1 Pokémon (apart from Mew who has been treated as an extra and a non-requirement for regional Dex completion) that has never been in a regional Dex outside of Kanto and Johto. Doduo and Dodrio were in Hoenn, Meowth has Alola and Johto, Mewtwo was in Kalos, and Pikachu has been in every regional Dex except Unova. The Venonat line deserves some love.

There are a few moth species in Hokkido such as the Hokkiaido Gypsy Moth and the Hokkaido Hawk Moth so its definitely plausible. The Hokkiaido Gypsy Moth is said to be able to cause widespread damage to trees and and can be an invasive species so Bug/Dark could work well.