• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Snap Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

New Pokemon Snap game appeared. Go nuts.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Too early to say much of substance, but I think re-using that font, and the way it showed Pikachu doing the same movements when it ate the apple, I think they knew how much the fans wanted this.

Also, no signs of pester balls or the poke flute yet. Either its really early in development, or they might be bringing in different items. Maybe they've decided that nature photography doesn't require you to chuck tear gas at small creatures to see what happens.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Too early to say much of substance, but I think re-using that font, and the way it showed Pikachu doing the same movements when it ate the apple, I think they knew how much the fans wanted this.

Also, no signs of pester balls or the poke flute yet. Either its really early in development, or they might be bringing in different items. Maybe they've decided that nature photography doesn't require you to chuck tear gas at small creatures to see what happens.
I hope it goes for open world travel where you can freely explore the island as opposed to being chained to a set path. If you think about it, we've never had an Open World Pokemon game where you explore the entirety of a location before.

On another note, normally I'd be more excited but the graphics of Pokemon Snap keeps reminding me that GameFreak is behind in the home console department in-general and I know people say graphics don't matter, the gameplay does but when you have virtually the same gameplay mechanics throughout the series and your series is known for updating the graphics for each generation that gets the fans excited to the point that graphics have become a selling point of the series, you know your going to disappoint the fans if you can't keep it up regardless if that dev is new to home consoles or not and that the hardware-pushing graphics they've done has only been limited to handheld.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Looking forward to this. :) When I saw the news about it, I was really hyped.

GhostTyper101

Ghost Enthusiast
I was so excited when I saw Zangoose. It's not the most popular Pokemon out there so I was suprised it's in out of all the Pokemon there are to choose, let alone got a spot in the trailer.

I hope there's a part where you watch a Zangoose and Seviper fight

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Well this was a pleasant surprise for sure. At this point I was giving up hope that we would ever see a Snap sequel seeing as they had passed on multiple opportunities to bring it back, but I guess enough people asked for it that they think it can sell.

Anyway, this game looks surprisingly ambitious. The graphics are amazing, the levels seem more open and possibly have multiple paths, and there seems to be a day/night cycle at play here. This game seems like it'll be MUCH meatier than the original, which it really needs to be since you could blow through the original in one sitting. Can't wait to see more of this game.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
I’m just here for when this game fails to meet impossible expectations. I’m not saying it’ll be bad; we don’t know enough to say yet if it’ll be good or bad, but I do know many a Pokemon fan has been building this game in their minds for the past 20 years, which combined with nostalgia goggles for the original game means this can only lead to a huge amt of salt from fans regardless of quality imo.

im ask not saying to expect a letdown of a game or a masterpiece, just that fans keep expectations reasonable. I know that’s a tall order in any fandom but still; this game being “good” or “bad” is ultimately up to u and if u keep opinions and whatnot in check.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So apparently the game is being developed by Bandai Namco. This explains why it looks so good, they're actually a developer who takes console development seriously. As Gamexplain's analysis indicates, there does seem to be a lot more to this game, with the paths being split, customizable, or potentially even free roam, a day/night cycle, different aspect ratios for your pictures. The original Snap was fairly short, so maybe it won't be utterly stuffed with content, but it seems like it's going to be much more ambitious than the original (as it should after a 20 year absence).

Heatleo

Older Pokemon Trainer
If Bandai Namco is developing it the graphics and pokemon it are going to be high quality based on what we already saw. If the games have fully exploring areas to take pics of pokemon that's going to be neat. I just hope this game has like cool stuff like a homebase to look at your pictures and do some other stuff (maybe unlockables to upgrade your base and customize your character?). That being said I'm thinking there has to be more than 61 pokemon (the original) otherwise people are going to not be happy.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I hope there's more environmental variety in the levels this time. Most of the levels in the first game were either grasslands, rivers, or caves, the only relatively unique ones being Volcano and Rainbow Cloud. I'd like to see some more unique biomes like deserts and snowlands. Gamexplain also speculated based on the oceans looking clear and the design of the new version of the Zero One (Zero Two? Whatever the hell they're calling it now) that it should be capable of going underwater, so an underwater section seems especially likely.

Speaking of the Rainbow Cloud though, I liked how they made that level essentially a "boss" level with Mew in the original. For those that didn't play the original, basically you spent the whole level trying to get Mew's picture. It had a shield surrounding it that interfered with your camera and you had to get rid of it by throwing Apples or Pester Balls at it in order to get Mew's picture. It also had multiple phases, after three hits the blue layer of the shield flew off and Mew started flying off camera quicker, then after another three hits the yellow layer flew off and Mew started chasing after the shield and you had to hit it one more time for it to turn around and pose for a picture. I'd like to see more "bosses" like this, and since there's a LOT more legendaries since the original, they can afford to do more of these. Maybe they could go as far as one after each regular level.

babydoll

Yea I'm super excited for this! I hear what people are saying about unrealistic expectations but here are the simple things that will make this game meet mine:

- Significantly more than 63 Pokemon, (like at least a couple of hundred would be nice)
- Significantly more than 6 locations to explore (basically, I want Snap, but a whole lot more of it)
- Choosing character gender (the last snap was in the 20th century, we're in the 21st now, so come on, I also like to customise my characters but I can't even customise hairstyle in GO yet so I won't hold my breath)

That's honestly it. If it has significantly more Pokemon and significantly more levels/locations, that is enough to keep me happy. I loved Snap but I could complete it in a day, maybe a week if I'm going for really high scores, I just want more playing hours, more to explore.

CelloX

So hyped. Been waiting for this game for so long. Anyone see the pidgeotto scoop up the magikarp? That was kinda cool, probably one of the few times we will see Pokémon predation in the games.

Heatleo

Older Pokemon Trainer
So hyped. Been waiting for this game for so long. Anyone see the pidgeotto scoop up the magikarp? That was kinda cool, probably one of the few times we will see Pokémon predation in the games.
Yeah. I rewatched the trailer just now, again, and picked up on that part you mentioned. In the original pokemon snap, there was I remember a reaction you could get from a Charmander and a Magmar fighting over an apple, and then Charmander evolves into Charmeleon which was always interesting although that isn't quite the same reaction as what you were talking about. Hoping for more news on New Pokemon Snap soon!

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member

BCVM22

December 31 is never a possible release date. It's a standard placeholder date in retail listings.

I'd love if New Snap goes the way of Super Mario 3D All-Stars and Hyrule Warriors, and we get a release date that's only a couple weeks to a couple months away at the time, but absolutely no part of that 12/31/2020 date should be taken at face value.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
That's how I took it as well for what it's worth.

babydoll

I've heard one source suggest that based on order of Nintendo Switch releases next year it should be out before Feb 12th...

Another source leaning towards June 2021.

Is it me or is it rather cruel to announce a MASSIVELY HYPED game, then go silent straight after the announcement for more than 6 months, and not release it for a year after first announcing it?! I am so psyched for this game I feel like my life is on hold until we get a release date

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I've heard one source suggest that based on order of Nintendo Switch releases next year it should be out before Feb 12th...

Another source leaning towards June 2021.

Is it me or is it rather cruel to announce a MASSIVELY HYPED game, then go silent straight after the announcement for more than 6 months, and not release it for a year after first announcing it?! I am so psyched for this game I feel like my life is on hold until we get a release date
Comes down to them being busy working on it, and add in Covid as well. Bottom line, we're owed nothing and we'll get news and information whenever it does come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.