• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Snap Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I wonder if the game will allow you to receive a special pokemon in Home since I thought the original Snap offered a way to get Mew in Gen 1

MrJechgo

I wonder if the game will allow you to receive a special pokemon in Home since I thought the original Snap offered a way to get Mew in Gen 1
There was no connectivity between the original Snap and any other title.
Well back then, it wasn't a thing. The N64 got Pokémon Stadium (and its GB adapter) after Pokémon Snap (1 month apart).

There might be something, but since it's developped by Bandai Namco, there might not be either ^^;

Heatleo

Older Pokemon Trainer
Well back then, it wasn't a thing. The N64 got Pokémon Stadium (and its GB adapter) after Pokémon Snap (1 month apart).

There might be something, but since it's developped by Bandai Namco, there might not be either ^^;
I would assume it's more the second thing you said. I don't think there would be anything although I am wondering how many Pokemon are going to be in the game since there's a photodex (essentially a pokedex) in game. Also, this is not totally relevant, but it would be funny if New Pokemon Snap had some intense moments like this video.

Heatleo

Older Pokemon Trainer
Here's some more news on New Pokemon Snap. Overall, I'm really excited for it and the fact we get way more Pokemon than the original. Here it is:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I want to say around eight? There’s the beach/sea, ocean floor, cave, forest, meadow, desert, and volcano that I can recall seeing in the trailers. I think there’s also some sort of snowfield but I’m not sure if it’s a Tundra or mountain peak area.

Pokemon Power

I've noticed that the only Gen. 8 Pokemon confirmed for the game thus far are the Galar starters. Can't help but wonder if they were a last minute addition.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I've noticed that the only Gen. 8 Pokemon confirmed for the game thus far are the Galar starters. Can't help but wonder if they were a last minute addition.
We would have to wait for an official statement of when development for New Pokemon Snap came into play. But I am guessing it was at least one year before it's announcement on June 2020. And I know development for Sword and Shield began on September 2017.

I do not think it was last minute and again, the 3 Galar starters are the only ones confirmed so far because of footage. I do believe there will be a lot more of the Galar Pokémon in the game to tie in with their most recent core series games. I also think the Kanto Pokemon will be most prevalent to tie in with those for nostalgic reasons such as the surge of Pokemon Go users upon its release.

From September 2017 to 2019, there must have been ample amount of time to have agreement terms on what Pokemon new in the region would make it onto New Pokemon Snap.

I am curious to see how many Galarian Pokemon made it onto New Pokemon Snap to see what direction production went into.

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Link

^ For all written reviews and aggregate score. There are reviewers in the comments who can answer questions you have about the game.

G-SANtos

French website Nintendo Master uploaded 3 gameplay videos on YouTube.

You know, I wonder if New Snap is going to introduce a new Legendary. Gimmicks tend to be tied to Legendaries, and this game has the Illumina phenomenon, which the story's main mystery. Not to mention, they now can introduce new Pokémon in the middle of a Generation.
The Illumina phenomenon could be explained by a new Legendary as the secret final boss, like Mew in the Rainbow Cloud. Just imagine the surprise of having a completely new Pokémon pop up at the very end!

On the other hand, considering what the crystal in the middle of L.E.N.S.'s logo looks like, Illumina's source could just be Necrozma. Hm... A spin-off exclusive Necrozma form? Lentalian Necrozma?

By the way, something I've seen no one talk about, is that we apparently have official names for the player characters since the February trailer. These names appear when they show the photo sharing feature, and have reappeared in this month's trailer and some screenshots shared by news sites between February and April. The names are:
Boy: Ren (レン / 렌) in Japanese and Korean, Jamie in English, and Xiǎoní (小霓) in Chinese.
Girl: Rui (ルイ / 루이) in Japanese and Korean, River in English, and Xiǎoliàng (小亮) in Chinese. Her Korean name is only shown in the April trailer.

For etymologies.
They're keeping the camera theme shown in other characters. Ren comes from "lens" (レンズ, renzu), and Rui comes from "fluorite" (蛍石, hotaruishi / keiseki), a material used to make lens valuable for fluorescence microscopy. The term "flourite lens" (蛍石レンズ) actually uses the "keiseki" pronounciation for fluorite, so Kei could've been her name, but I guess Masters took it first. Either that, or they just both kids to have a name starting with an R sound.

For the English names, Jamie and River, I spent some time looking up if there's any meaning in photography, mainly if there's some famous photographer named Jamie River or Rivers or James, and any such combination. When I couldn't find anything, I tried finding some connection between the English and Japanese names, with the best result being that for Rui and River there's a salmon dish named rui-be, which is a VERY farfetched connection.
After sometime I realized that "mie" and "ver" both mean "to see" in Japanese and Portuguese.

The Chinese names Xiǎoní (小霓) and Xiǎoliàng (小亮) both start with "small" (小). Both of the second letters have meaning related to light, "ní" (霓) means "secondary rainbow" (I know it sounds weird, but it's what MDGB says it means) and "liàng" (亮) means "bright".

This debunks my never posted theory the boy would be Shin'ya, from "photo" (写真, shashin), and the girl would be Kyoume, from "lens surface" (鏡面, kyoumen), with the English names Cameron and Lena. Well, maybe if we get a third Snap game someday.

In case you ask, Rita comes from "retouch" (リタッチ, ritacchi), as in a photo retouch. I didn't figure out that one, someone at Bulbapedia did. Before that, I thought the name was a reference to the roller coaster at Alton Towers because the game is a rail shooter.
And obviously, Phil comes from "film".

Pokemon Power

Just saw the list of available Pokemon in New Pokemon Snap.
Seems like both the regular and Alolan forms of the Sandshrew and Vulpix families live in Lental. I wonder how that's possible.

Cradily17

Just saw the list of available Pokemon in New Pokemon Snap.
Seems like both the regular and Alolan forms of the Sandshrew and Vulpix families live in Lental. I wonder how that's possible.
I am beyond disappointed. They put Bounsweet in the game but not the rest of its evolutionary line? Why? For what reason? How could they be so cruel to give me hope that my number one favorite Pokemon would be in like that? I was actually kind of hyped for this game, too. Oh well. At least I'll be able to save some money.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I am beyond disappointed. They put Bounsweet in the game but not the rest of its evolutionary line? Why? For what reason? How could they be so cruel to give me hope that my number one favorite Pokemon would be in like that? I was actually kind of hyped for this game, too. Oh well. At least I'll be able to save some money.
The original game did the same thing with Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Vileplume where they were the only ones in their respective lines to be in the game.

Pokemon Power

With Pokemon spin-offs, you can't expect an entire evolutionary family to be featured. Take the first PokePark game for instance. It had Geodude and Golem, but no Graveler.

Status
Not open for further replies.