• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Speculation & Discussion Thread

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I'm thinking of a two stage fast attacker with a new ability that gives it priority when using a physical move of one of it's types. (So in normal conditions physical Ground and Electric moves would get priority but if it was it hit by soak (for example) then physical water type moves would get priority instead)

Talonflame proved that having priority on just one type can be terrifying, even with a mediocre attack stat. Having priority on both STABs (especially with a type combo as solid as Ground/Electric) would be even worse. If such an ability were to ever exist, it would need a pretty severe drawback to balance it (like the fact that Gale Wings only works when the user is at full HP in Gen 7).

Leonhart

Imagineer
flygon1509 said:
Remember how Rockruff broke the mold of Rock pokemon? A cute cheetah could do the same for Ground type.

Speaking of that, I do expect that we'll get more Pokemon that break the mold in terms of their design clashing with their type. Iwanko (Rockruff) is a good example of that happening in the previous generation like you said, and I hope that continues in Gen VIII.

And on the subject of Tandon (Rolycoly), it's still my least favorite Gen VIII Pokemon since for the most part I dislike Rock-types that literally resemble chunks of rock with eyes attached, but I hope that it'll gain an evolution that looks less predictable than it currently does.

Julia Artemis

So Masuda tweeted out a picture of a squirrel in a tree outside Washington Cathedral. I'm guessing we're getting the chipmunk/squirrel berry tree pokemon at worlds. I'm also thinking they'll be version exclusives but not 100 percent sure on that

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I personally like stunfisk but I think a Ground/Electric cheetah could to more with the typing,

I'm thinking of a two stage fast attacker with a new ability that gives it priority when using a physical move of one of it's types. (So in normal conditions physical Ground and Electric moves would get priority but if it was it hit by soak (for example) then physical water type moves would get priority instead)

Also like the Ground/Electric cheetah idea after I saw it in a fake leak. I would like that.

Julia Artemis

Speaking of that, I do expect that we'll get more Pokemon that break the mold in terms of their design clashing with their type. Iwanko (Rockruff) is a good example of that happening in the previous generation like you said, and I hope that continues in Gen VIII.

And on the subject of Tandon (Rolycoly), it's still my least favorite Gen VIII Pokemon since for the most part I dislike Rock-types that literally resemble chunks of rock with eyes attached, but I hope that it'll gain an evolution that looks less predictable than it currently does.

I think Rolycoly has potential when it evolves especially if it's Rock/Steel train pokemon and keeps it's current abilities. For me the one I hate the most is Dredgnaw. It feels completely redundent and just a worse water/rock Torkoal. Strong Jaw is a cool ability but if it doesnt have a new bite move it'll be pretty pointless. Like a rock bite move would be cool though I'd settle for a water bite. A lot of physical water Pokemon would love that move.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I now believe Corviknight is the regional bird since the site shows a Level 38 one on the site for the new jobs thing at Lv.38. I just hope it’s base stage is something unique and not another Murkrow rehash.

Julia Artemis

When I saw it in action at E3 i absolutely started to think that too. It's stats totally screamed regional bird. Which is great because apart from Talonflame and Staraptor I've been disappointed by the early game bird pokemon. Corviknight is what I wanted from Toucannon. Still think Pikipek should have had a steel/flying line

sketchersmeargle

So Masuda tweeted out a picture of a squirrel in a tree outside Washington Cathedral. I'm guessing we're getting the chipmunk/squirrel berry tree pokemon at worlds. I'm also thinking they'll be version exclusives but not 100 percent sure on that

Possibly or maybe not. I mean, he took a picture of Capybaras and everyone thought that meant gen 8 was going to be South American and that a new Capybara Pokemon was going to be showcased.

Which none of that came to be.

But if the pictures of a Squirrel and Finch mean we'll see them tomorrow, I wouldn't complain.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I now believe Corviknight is the regional bird since the site shows a Level 38 one on the site for the new jobs thing at Lv.38. I just hope it’s base stage is something unique and not another Murkrow rehash.
Just because a Corviknight is listed at Lv. 38 in the trailer doesn't necessarily mean it's the regional bird or should have pre-evolution.

In a similar theory, Galarian Linoone is shown instead of Obstagoon at Lv. 34. That doesn't mean Obstagoon must evolve after that level, it's because Obstagoon's reveal in the Japanese trailer comes after Poké Jobs introduction.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
That picture of the bird that Masuda tweeted, y'all are missing the bigger picture.

Most of that picture was plants and water. So it's confirming we are getting a new Water/Grass type. Based on the small bird, it may be a bird that will be Water/Grass, but honestly that's kinda stretching things.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Julia Artemis said:

I've been eager to see the squirrel/chipmunk Pokemon be officially revealed ever since people first noticed it in low quality images. I also hope that the elephant-like Pokemon will be fully revealed as well since we only have a blurry image of its back so far if I remember right.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
The bird is a house sparrow, which just happens to be native to the UK. Are we getting a new sparrow Pokémon? Also seeing that squirrel makes me think the squirrel Pokémon is Normal/Grass?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Just because a Corviknight is listed at Lv. 38 in the trailer doesn't necessarily mean it's the regional bird or should have pre-evolution.

In a similar theory, Galarian Linoone is shown instead of Obstagoon at Lv. 34. That doesn't mean Obstagoon must evolve after that level, it's because Obstagoon's reveal in the Japanese trailer comes after Poké Jobs introduction.
Remember that time in the SM demo, they showed Jangmo-o and Hakamo-o being encountered at Ten Carat Hill lol? That was pretty early so I bet a lot of people playing that demo couldn't have forseen just how late you get that Pokemon in the official release lol. I wonder what differences will find for SwSh compared to it's demo counterparts.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Remember that time in the SM demo, they showed Jangmo-o and Hakamo-o being encountered at Ten Carat Hill lol? That was pretty early so I bet a lot of people playing that demo couldn't have forseen just how late you get that Pokemon in the official release lol. I wonder what differences will find for SwSh compared to it's demo counterparts.
I wasted at least an hour in Ten Carat Hill looking for a Jangmo-o until I looked up their encounter rate

Leonhart

Imagineer
PokeMon2.0 said:
The bird is a house sparrow, which just happens to be native to the UK. Are we getting a new sparrow Pokémon? Also seeing that squirrel makes me think the squirrel Pokémon is Normal/Grass?

A new sparrow Pokemon in Shield and Sword would be interesting I suppose. Onisuzume (Spearow) is supposed to be some kind of sparrow Pokemon already, although to me it doesn't really resemble one that closely. So I'd like to see a new bird Pokemon that actually looks more like an actual sparrow, possibly being the regional bird too. I was thinking that Amaga (Corviknight) would be the regional Galar bird before, but now I'm not so certain.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So they finally revealed what Galarian Weezing's new ability is. Thoughts? I know a lot of people now are commenting how this would be pretty broken with Slaking or Regigigas but I have a feeling they'll just exclude those abilities from Weezing to balance it out or at least a generation later.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
So they finally revealed what Galarian Weezing's new ability is. Thoughts? I know a lot of people now are commenting how this would be pretty broken with Slaking or Regigigas but I have a feeling they'll just exclude those abilities from Weezing to balance it out or at least a generation later.

Isn't it just identical to mold breaker?