• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Speculation & Discussion Thread

Sabre_King

Honestly like the two new Pokémon that were revealed today. I’m getting vibes that both Pokémon will have one evolution each which depending on those designs may have me decide to play them on one of my play through teams.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
My thing with the Gen VIII pokémon so far is that, while I like almost all of them, at the same time they are not giving me the "I want to have this guy on my team so bad!" feeling that Gen VII kept giving me with every new reveal (only Grookey got this response from me now).

At this point in 2016 I was having problems trimming down the Alolan pokémon I wanted in my team to just 6. For SwSh so far only Grookey and Drednaw got a place in my team (and probably Impidimp).

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I just had a thought: I wonder if the Fish Pokémon spat out via Gulp Missile is actually randomized. That is, sometimes, you might see Cramorant spit out a Magikarp, sometimes a Goldeen, sometimes a Wishiwashi, sometimes a Finneon, etc.

So we've finally met the "albatross that spits out a barracuda" Pokemon from the Affleck leak, and Cramorant seems pretty sweet. I like that it's based on a cormorant, in my home town here in England, cormorants are fairly common on the beaches and in my local harbour, plus they're better than seagulls because they don't pester you, so I'm happy that there's now a Pokemon based on them. Depending on its stats, I'd say Cramorant will likely be my go-to Water-type in the Galar region if I end up not liking Sobble's final evolution and/or if Dreadnaw comes too late in the game (normally I like to have my whole team put together before the fourth or fifth gym).

Ah, so that's what it's based on! I hadn't heard about cormorants in a while, and I thought, "This sounds very familiar."

Of course, there's the possibility that the Cramorant line is late-game.

I love Polteageist, especially as the first Ghost-type this gen. Its description is intriguing; it can multiply by adding its essence to regular teapots that still have tea in them, so it gets treates as a pest.

I wish it had a better ability though; weak armor doesn't do much for me.

Weak Armor can be quite useful, but it is one of the more situational Abilities due to it being something, for the most part, that hasd to be invoked by the opponent. As a Johnny-style player, something I've noticed people frequently underestimate is a boost in Speed, even if it's by one stage. Remember that that's equal to a Choice Scarf.

Yeah I hope this won't be a Gen 6 situation where the only Bug Type we got was a boring Butterfly...

I think Vivillon is a very interesting Pokémon, and not just because of the regional patterns. (A lot of thought was put into it, in any case.)

aerial_ace

I love two new pokemon revealed in the direct especially polteageist !! I am defo catching one and naming it earl grey. I am a huge tea drinker and i love this little guy's design. I hope it will evolve into a ghost genie serving tea.
The new bird is derpy as hell but i i like its design and it has fun new ability

D

Deleted member 384931

Why is the female player character wearing a barrette, while we aren't in Kalos, France, but in England, Galar?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Just in case people still think it's a seagull, it's not, it's a cormorant. And they are ugly in person too lol

Indeed. As I wasn't too familiar with cormorants, I decided to look them up, and here's what I got:

- Cormorants have that beak shape, where it's straight but tapers and then curves downward, to more efficiently ensnare fish and eels. Cramorant shares that beak shape. (They also share four-toed feet that are completely webbed.)
- These are birds eat almost nothing but marine animals. To that extent, they've been min-maxed for diving. They can dive up to 35 meters, deeper than any bird, but in exchange, they have the smallest wings relative to the rest of their bodies of any flight-capable bird for minimal water resistance. The result is cormorants expending the most energy flying. This is reflected in Cramorant's small wings.
- And, of course, combining those two, cormorants are tailor-made to dive into water and get fish. If the fish turns out to be too big for them to swallow, they will spit it out. This describes how Gulp Missile works to a T. (People will sometimes tame cormorants and use them to assist in fishing, using this aspect. If someone's cormorant catches a fish that's too big, the bird just gives it to the human.)

Here's a great cormorant, native to the British Isles, attempting to swallow an eel. Makes me wonder if Cramorant might upchuck the occasional Tympole or Eelektrik (even though they're based on lampreys--not sure if cormorants eat those).
frx6RHC.png

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Weak Armor can be quite useful, but it is one of the more situational Abilities due to it being something, for the most part, that hasd to be invoked by the opponent. As a Johnny-style player, something I've noticed people frequently underestimate is a boost in Speed, even if it's by one stage. Remember that that's equal to a Choice Scarf.

I've always been partial to defense, so I personally would rather not sacrifice defense for speed.

SurrealistSmeargle

I just had a thought: I wonder if the Fish Pokémon spat out via Gulp Missile is actually randomized. That is, sometimes, you might see Cramorant spit out a Magikarp, sometimes a Goldeen, sometimes a Wishiwashi, sometimes a Finneon, etc.
This would be very cool, but surely if that were to be the case, then the fish we currently see it spit out would also have to be a pokemon, and it would be weird for them to show that fish, but not reveal it as a pokemon, when they could have shown cases were it caught other pokemon instead. I feel like it's liable to be fixed, but that doesn't remove the possibility of that fish being a pokemon. While it could easily be confined to the realms of Slowbro!Shellder, I wouldn't be surprised if it at least bares some resemblance to another new pokemon. I could see a trout or salmon pokemon that looks like a more developed form of the fish it chokes up (though the fish already has a suprisingly complex design given its purpose).

Dragon Pulse

My thing with the Gen VIII pokémon so far is that, while I like almost all of them, at the same time they are not giving me the "I want to have this guy on my team so bad!" feeling that Gen VII kept giving me with every new reveal (only Grookey got this response from me now).

At this point in 2016 I was having problems trimming down the Alolan pokémon I wanted in my team to just 6. For SwSh so far only Grookey and Drednaw got a place in my team (and probably Impidimp).
I agree. With most of the Gen VIII Pokémon I was having a hard time picking on who I wanted to be on my team, but this time round none of them interest me that much. If I had to pick, I probably like Corviknight, Yamper and Obstagoon the most, but they still aren't impressing me a whole lot. Hopefully the rest of the new Pokémon are captivating.

axelme

like both new pokemon. the teapot one has a creative little backstory. it was totally expected we'd have a teapot pokemon. im still waiting on a new deer though. im still annoyed that they passed over corsola having aloan forms. there are so many coral species i dont know why they dont take advantage of them. i want to see a powerful deer with a prince of the forest vibe/kind of thing.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
Polteageist... Ow. It hurts. And it's ACTUALLY tea. What, is it going to evolve into a chamber pot full of urine? How many food & beverage Pokemon is this gen going to give us? It's a cute design, I just hate that they're wasting one of the new ghost-type slots on an freakin teapot. Sigh. [/salt] Cramorant is plenty fine.