• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Speculation & Discussion Thread

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Japanese name of Impidimp, Berobar is probably a combination of Bero Bero, which is the sound of licking in Japanese*, and robar, which is to steal in Spanish. It is also likely a shortening of Obariyon, a yokai in Japanese folklore.

*The same sound is used in Beroringa, aka Lickitung, and Beroberuto, aka Lickilicky. In both cases, the sound of licking is a reference to Lickitung's basis, Akaname, aka filth licker, another yokai in Japanese folklore.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
Japanese name of Impidimp, Berobar is probably a combination of Bero Bero, which is the sound of licking in Japanese*, and robar, which is to steal in Spanish. It is also likely a shortening of Obariyon, a yokai in Japanese folklore.

*The same sound is used in Beroringa, aka Lickitung, and Beroberuto, aka Lickilicky. In both cases, the sound of licking is a reference to Lickitung's basis, Akaname, aka filth licker, another yokai in Japanese folklore.
That makes sense. thanks

Creyk

So it's safe to say it will learn lick, right?

Orphalesion

When I'm thinking of a train Pokemon, I can't help but think of Doomtrain, a summon from the Final Fantasy series. He's basically a demonic train with the face of a ghost. So I keep thinking of a train Pokemon being part ghost.

DannyDark

With Japan having an improving-but-notably-bad suicide rate.. and, it seems, even a notable railway line, the rapid-train Chūō Line, for committing suicide.. I think they might be a little sensitive with moves and such involving a train Pokemon? Then again, who knows, since it's not particularly applicable to everywhere.

DannyDark

A three-stager that goes from Rock -> Steel -> Electric... representing the Stone Age, Bronze/Iron Age and then the Technological Age/Modern Era.

Third stage could also be Psychic for the Space Age, maybe. I'm just all about a Pokemon representing evolutionary ages right now.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Season Pass please and before you all try to kill me it works
A season pass would kill the need of a 3rd game while giving people content so they don't need yearly releases
2019-SwSh
2020-SwSh DLC
2021-DP Remakes
2022-Skip
2023-Gen 9

This would give them a 4 year gen which we have not had in almost a decade.

Luthor

Sirfetch'd is going to be interesting as it will probably have some interesting move options that most Fighting types don't have. I expect regardless of if it evolves from a regional variant of Farfetch'd or the regular one it will get move options that are rare for a fighting type like Brave bird.

ShadowForce720

Sirfetch'd is going to be interesting as it will probably have some interesting move options that most Fighting types don't have. I expect regardless of if it evolves from a regional variant of Farfetch'd or the regular one it will get move options that are rare for a fighting type like Brave bird.

It also could get Sky Attack, and if you look at it the only other Fighting type pokemon at that point that gets Sky Attack is Hawlucha is a Fighting/Flying type pokemon.

anjunajake

you were the sun & moon to me
Brave Bird, First Impression, Leaf Blade, Roost, Steel Wing. Interesting moves it should retain from it's Farfetch'd Form. It's definitely going to have decent coverage for a pure fighting type.

I don't think it gets Sky Attack anymore, it looks like that was removed from its learn set arsenal in the newer gens right? But they could give it back I suppose.

Kingudora

My favourite
My only worry is that Sirfetch'd probably won't have any solid options against Flying-type pokémon. Usually Fighting-type pokémon have access to moves like Rock Slide or Thunder Punch/Ice Punch, but I don't think that will be the case for Sirfetch'd.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Brave Bird, First Impression, Leaf Blade, Roost, Steel Wing. Interesting moves it should retain from it's Farfetch'd Form. It's definitely going to have decent coverage for a pure fighting type.

I don't think it gets Sky Attack anymore, it looks like that was removed from its learn set arsenal in the newer gens right? But they could give it back I suppose.
Sky Attack is the last move it gets by level up in Let’s Go and it’s a tutor move in USUM (where it also got First Impression and Final Gambit as Egg Moves).

anjunajake

My bad, I misread bulbapedia. Sky attack is possible! Sirfetch'd is going to be an interesting bird. I'm curious what moves will be in it's Sirfetch'd learn set. It's signature move is quite powerful, but I'm hoping it gets close combat for a more consistent STAB option. I also saw some people speculate Kings Shield. That would be sick, but I think more unlikely. I have a feeling it's Sirfetch'd learn set won't be a diverse. I'm predicting just a lot of fighting type moves.

Any speculation on its potential HA? I think it could potentially be a new ability. Although, keeping defiant would be amazing too.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I can see Sirfetch’d getting Justified like other noble Fighting Types like the Swords of Justice

Luthor

My only worry is that Sirfetch'd probably won't have any solid options against Flying-type pokémon. Usually Fighting-type pokémon have access to moves like Rock Slide or Thunder Punch/Ice Punch, but I don't think that will be the case for Sirfetch'd.

I think they might still give it access to a rock type moves. Braviary and Hawlucha both get rock slide for example. But you make a valid point that it will need something for Flying types.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
A Fighting STAB, Knock Off, and Poison Jab give it nearly flawless coverage as it is. Niche moves like Leaf Blade and First Impression are nice to have and might see some usage, but their coverage is poor in comparison. Brave Bird could conceivably see some usage as Flying/Fighting is a very powerful type combination, but lacking STAB on it hurts, and it really offers very little in the way of coverage compared to Knock Off/Poison Jab. Rock-type coverage would also be appreciated but isn't necessary for its success.

I think Sirfetch'd's competitive viability hinges on just how much of an improvement its stats get over Farfetch'd. Farfetch'd's problem has never been its movepool, it's pretty much always been its abysmally poor stats and the fact that Pokemon like Talonflame, Staraptor, and, well, nearly every other Flying or Normal type in existence severely outclass it. Sirfetch'd, as a pure Fighting-type, is no longer competing with such Pokemon and the pool of viable Fighting-types it has to compete with is much narrower. I think it's pretty safe to assume Sirfetch'd will receive a boost to its Attack, and considering Farfetch'd was given a pretty decent base 90 Attack in SM (which isn't bad for a non-fully evolved Pokemon, as Farfetch'd now is... I hadn't considered this before, but Farfetch'd is now LC legal, and that could shake things up. I foresee a ban from LC in Farfetch'd's future.) this should put it in a nice position. However, Farfetch'd still has abysmal bulk and low Speed. One of those two factors would need to be patched up upon evolution for Sirfetch'd to really shine.

anjunajake

I believe someone already figured out that the HP stat didn't get too much of a boost, it's obviously not going to be a special attacker, and at 250+ pounds I don't see it moving too fast. So if I had to guess, I think it's going to get a pretty hefty attack and defense and/or special defense boost.

If that's the case, it could be a viable pokemon depending on it's moves. You could max Hp and attack EV's, and Assault vest + 4 moves is always nice on slower bulkier pokemon with good coverage. I'm just hoping the attack stat is notable. Ideally 130+ is what I want. If it gets a decent speed boost, steadfast can come in handy with all the flinching moves in VGC. Especially the common rockslide, which it now thankfully resist.

That being said, I think steadfast should get a buff to where it also makes you immune to flinches as well as the speed boost.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
You know what the Pokemon series should have. A Pseudo-legendary Mammoth the size of a small hill! Yes, you heard me. Not a somewhat big Mammoth like Mammoswine, I mean a freaking huge Mammoth as big as a small hill, so big that if you go under it's body , it's like a small cave and it should be a pseudo-legendary Pokemon like Dragonite or Tyranitar.

And yes, this is inspired by Monster Hunter's very own Mammoth!