• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Speculation & Discussion Thread

axelme

i have no problem with eldegoss staying as is. sure it resembles jumpluff and whimsicott but that speaks more to a lack of creativity with grass types. there's so many ways they could go and yet we have 3 designs now that have ended up looking fairly similar

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Not really. There is no confusing Eldegoss with Jumpluff and Whimsicott. Jumpluff is based on the last stage of a dandelion's life cycle (and this isn't even based on cottom) and is basically what would happen if the entire organism could drift in the wind like that. Whimsicott is the Pokémon franchise's take on the Vegetable Lamb of Tartary. Eldegoss is combining the concept of a boll of cotton with an elderly woman.

Besides that they're all Grass-type and that they're all spherical, they have pretty little in common.

DannyDark

Not really. There is no confusing Eldegoss with Jumpluff and Whimsicott. Jumpluff is based on the last stage of a dandelion's life cycle (and this isn't even based on cottom) and is basically what would happen if the entire organism could drift in the wind like that. Whimsicott is the Pokémon franchise's take on the Vegetable Lamb of Tartary. Eldegoss is combining the concept of a boll of cotton with an elderly woman.

Besides that they're all Grass-type and that they're all spherical, they have pretty little in common.

I mean you've got Jumpluff the Cottonweed Pokemon, Cottonee the Cotton Puff Pokemon and now Eldegoss the Cotton Bloom Pokemon.. I do just feel that they could have had a bit more dissimilar designs. Like you said, it's not to the point where anyone should get them confused by any means, it's more so just an argument for a bit more diversity would have been nice, even just a change in body shape.

I also wonder if they'll retcon any of the previous two's abilities to Cotton Down, though I don't know if this has ever been done?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Fair enough. I don't see it as "lack of creativity" though, since all three incorporate some other motif into their designs. They are still more different from each other than, say, Butterfree, Beautifly, and Vivillon, which don't have any further design motifs to differentiate them (though all three also had different artists who designed them, each with their own unique approaches).

Abilities have only been retconned if they turn out to be too powerful. The only cases I know of are Chandelure's Shadow Tag being changed to Infiltrator and Gengar's Levitate changed to Cursed Body.

Kingudora

My favourite
I wouldn't oppose old pokémon having one of their abilities retconned for a new one, if it fits them thematically.

I would probably switch out Chlorophyll on Jumpluff and Whimsicott for Cotton Down, since Chlorophyll is kinda oversaturated among Grass-types already.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Pokémon I want recent Abilities are Delibird (Insomnia or Vital Spirit Because one of them must go away as they are literally the same ability!), Hitmontop with Own Tempo instead of Intimidate, Stunfisk and Limber, And Fan Rotom.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Pokémon I want recent Abilities are Delibird (Insomnia or Vital Spirit Because one of them must go away as they are literally the same ability!), Hitmontop with Own Tempo instead of Intimidate, Stunfisk and Limber, And Fan Rotom.
Oh man. I love Delibird, he's one of my fan-favorite birds and Gen 2 Pokemon! I hope he gets an boost of some kind one day to match the ridiculous awesomeness of his Adventures debut lol.

Anime Fans see Delibrd - Huh. That Delibird looks like Santa!
Adventure Fans sees Delibrd- NIGERUNDAYO SMOKEY!

Luthor

Oh man. I love Delibird, he's one of my fan-favorite birds and Gen 2 Pokemon! I hope he gets an boost of some kind one day to match the ridiculous awesomeness of his Adventures debut lol.

Anime Fans see Delibrd - Huh. That Delibird looks like Santa!
Adventure Fans sees Delibrd- NIGERUNDAYO SMOKEY!

Delibird is actually the Pokemon I'm predicting to get a regional evolution. I think it could be cool and it makes a good counterpart to Farfetch'd

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
I wouldn't oppose old pokémon having one of their abilities retconned for a new one, if it fits them thematically.

I would probably switch out Chlorophyll on Jumpluff and Whimsicott for Cotton Down, since Chlorophyll is kinda oversaturated among Grass-types already.

Frankly, something I've always wanted to see is the Levitate ability being retconned entirely and made into an attribute that some Pokemon just happen to have, so that those Pokemon can gain more useful Abilities (like Flygon, for example; get rid of Levitate and give it Speed Boost or something.)

Creyk

Delibird is actually the Pokemon I'm predicting to get a regional evolution. I think it could be cool and it makes a good counterpart to Farfetch'd
Watch them make it pure fire type just to mess with us.
After Farfetch'd's new typing, it would not surprise me.

axelme

i didnt think about ti before but if delibird was going to get some attention this would actually be a pretty good region for him to get it

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Frankly, something I've always wanted to see is the Levitate ability being retconned entirely and made into an attribute that some Pokemon just happen to have, so that those Pokemon can gain more useful Abilities (like Flygon, for example; get rid of Levitate and give it Speed Boost or something.)

What would the in-game signifier be that they're immune to Ground though? They can't just pull Ground immunities from out of nowhere. (Levitate is good enough as it is, if you ask me; it provides an immunity to a very popular type with no drawbacks.)

Watch them make it pure fire type just to mess with us.
After Farfetch'd's new typing, it would not surprise me.

Would it be the fire-breathing beast, then, as an adversary to the knight-like Sirfetch'd?

shoz999

Trying to team-build now that more information has been presented and I have to say... this is pretty hard. A lot of good designs, typings, battle styles. Even Mr. Rime, the evolution of Mr. Mime, is pretty interesting to me with his odd design and ability. I do have to say though that I often include flying-type Pokemon as a priority in team-building, not a must-have but a priority to consider and thus I must admit there is a strong lack of flying-types this generation.

shoz999

Why is Polteageist's special attack on par with Chandelure lol?... and it has shell smash wtf lol. Oh god, this teacup could be a monster in the meta.

Missingno.Fan

Upon looking at the info on Serebii, I learned a bunch of stuff I never knew before:
  • The different genders of Indeedee are version exclusive.
  • There is another form of Polteageist.
  • G-Max Appleton and Flapple are the same thing.
  • Eiscue without the ice is actually called Noice face. I saw that before and I thought it was a joke.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Upon looking at the info on Serebii, I learned a bunch of stuff I never knew before:
  • The different genders of Indeedee are version exclusive.
  • There is another form of Polteageist.
  • G-Max Appleton and Flapple are the same thing.
  • Eiscue without the ice is actually called Noice face. I saw that before and I thought it was a joke.
What is the difference between the two forms and where can I catch sinistea?