• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Pokemon Speculation & Discussion Thread

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Now that we know all of the included Pokémon, I’m hoping the third cart includes new families. This one feels a little bare bones, similar to XY’s premier. Don’t get me wrong, I love the new designs, but it fells about 4-5 families short.

No Ultra Beasts is also sad :(

sketchersmeargle

Now that we know all of the included Pokémon, I’m hoping the third cart includes new families. This one feels a little bare bones, similar to XY’s premier. Don’t get me wrong, I love the new designs, but it fells about 4-5 families short.

No Ultra Beasts is also sad :(

The new dex (81) actually has more Pokemon than Gen 6 (72) and the same amount as Gen 7 did, 81. But, to me, it has more, since 20 of them were Legendaries/Ultra Beasts. Since there's only 3 new Legendaries, we have more regular Pokemon at the beginning of this gen.

Feels less, due to having more evolutionary families and 3 stages than both past gens did.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Why is Polteageist's special attack on par with Chandelure lol?... and it has shell smash wtf lol. Oh god, this teacup could be a monster in the meta.
It's lower than Chandelure's Sp.Atk. On the other hand, it also has access to Baton Pass. It is incredibly frail on the physical side, especially after a Weak Armor trigger and/or Shell Smash though. Something like Blastoise also has Shell Smash, and although Blastoise doesn't have quite that special attack level, it does have Water Spout and base power on moves scales much more than species base stats, and Blastoise has spread damage while Polteageist doesn't. Effectively Shell Smash Blastoise hits harder with Water Spout than Shell Smash Polteageist hits with Shadow Ball, even when considering spread damage reduction. And if Blastoise goes to low health and gets a damage reduction on Water Spout, it can switch to Torrent-boosted Muddy Water instead which hits nearly as hard as full-health Water Spout does. I reckon Baton Pass is what's mostly going to make Polteageist scary since if it has a bad match-up it can pass the Shell Smash (and a potential Weak Armor boost) to something else, but other than that I'd say it's inferior to Blastoise. And having a ludicrously fast Polteageist attempt to Baton Pass while at -2 defence, -1 special defence, might not be all that easy for any recipient to come in either, as those defence drops will also be passed on, the recipient might just get KOd on coming in after the Baton Pass.

Last edited:

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Seriously, what is the thing with Thievul? It has almost no Attack at all, instead it has a passable Sp.Attack, but every single move it learns with a single (weak) exception is physical! Even you include egg moves, TMs and TRs, it still can't learn even up to 5 special moves.
"But at least it's good defensively?" OH HELL NO!

And obviously this thing had to be one of my absolute favorite designs in the generation, so I will be stuck with it, hating it, until the end.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Seriously, what is the thing with Thievul? It has almost no Attack at all, instead it has a passable Sp.Attack, but every single move it learns with a single (weak) exception is physical! Even you include egg moves, TMs and TRs, it still can't learn even up to 5 special moves.

And obviously this thing had to be one of my absolute favorite designs in the generation, so I will be stuck with it, hating it, until the end.
I think it's supposed to be a switch-in & switch-out/counter switch-in & switch-out Pokemon. I think this Pokemon could at least be better if they raised the speed.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

Reminds of when I tried to use Liepard back in Gen 5

shoz999

Just hit me. Drednaw might actually be pretty dangerous in the meta due to dynamaxing. The Geyser move causes rain, rain activates Drednaw's Swift Swim ability making him go faster and he has pretty decent attack power.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Just hit me. Drednaw might actually be pretty dangerous in the meta due to dynamaxing. The Geyser move causes rain, rain activates Drednaw's Swift Swim ability making him go faster and he has pretty decent attack power.
If you have a Grass Type on you, it should go down rather easily if you have a strong Grass type attack like Solar Beam and your Pokémon is holding the Power Herb

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
I really like most of the new mons that we got this gen. + there's only 4 that I hate which is the least of any gen so far. Those 4 from least horrible to worst are: Chewtle, Dracovish, Arrocuda and Perrserker. or there's techinically 5 if you count Galarian Meowth

Creyk

The classic curse of being an early route pokemon. A shame, I love it's design.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
Greedent is very impressive. I never expected the regional rodent to be this good. The mon is a tank! During Champion's cup. Mine despite being in yellow health survived a Max Knuckle from Raihan's Duraludon. Both Were the same level.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Reminds of when I tried to use Liepard back in Gen 5

Yeah, Liepard didn't really have much use in-game. Arguably, it's still limited (though probably not quite as bad as Thievul, as there have been three generations since to refine it). On the other hand, Liepard gets Prankster as its Hidden Ability, giving it priority Thunder Wave, priority Charm, priority Substitute, priority Baton Pass, priority Encore, priority Trick, priority Taunt, and priority Yawn (going by the Generation VIII list of moves). It also gets Foul Play so it doesn't have to use its own Attack stat to deal large damage.

Because of how far people have taken Liepard in competitive play (it has reached OU in the past), I was hoping for Thievul to get some killer Hidden Ability, only to find out it gets Stakeout, which is very situational, and Thievul doesn't really have the moves or the type of stats to really use that. (It's also not available. If they decide to do updates for this game, they may change Thievul's Hidden Ability to something else and allow it to be found in Max Raid Battles. It has some potential as a Prankster user too, though more limited than Liepard. It probably needs something on par with Intimidate, Speed Boost, or a new Ability.)

To be fair, so can potentially anything with Swift Swim, Slush Rush, or Sand Rush. (Chlorophyll is...more limited.) Even Beartic can go on a rampage smashing anything that doesn't resist it via Max Hailstorm from Icicle Crash with Slush Rush or Max Geyser from Liquidation with Swift Swim. When boosted like that, a +Speed Beartic will outrun unassisted Dragapult (and anything else in Galar except Ninjask).

I’m surprised they didn’t have a Pokémon based on Big Ben with clock evolutions, imagine a Pokémon called tik tok

Kalos didn't have a Pokémon themed on the Eiffel Tower either. Neither did Unova and the Statue of Liberty. All three landmarks, however, have Pokémon world counterparts, and I think that's what they go for: landmarks are adapted not as Pokémon, but as part of the scenery (except for Stonjourner).

Greedent is very impressive. I never expected the regional rodent to be this good. The mon is a tank! During Champion's cup. Mine despite being in yellow health survived a Max Knuckle from Raihan's Duraludon. Both Were the same level.

Stuff Cheeks, in particular, turns Greedent into a wall. With Cheek Pouch, it restores HP while boosting Defense too, regardless of which berry you have it carry. If Apicot Berries were more easily found, that's the route I would've taken, because Stuff Cheeks would boost Defense and Special Defense while healing HP. Well, you could potentially use Gluttony, but that kind of works against Stuff Cheeks. I'd say that of all of the early-game Normal-type mammals, Greedent is the most useful one by far, at least within the same generation and not counting Hidden Abilities.

Greedent also has one of my favorite fainting animations of the new Pokémon in that you can see it losing its grip on the berries it holds in its tail.

shoz999

Prankster Grimmsnarl + Bulk Up with those stats. That's an interesting combo don't you think guys? Almost makes me want to get one after seeing it in action.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Gigantamax Grimmsnarl really reminds me of Aku. Please tell me I'm not the only one