• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Beast Lover

Should we split a new thread from the "open world or not?" discussion from the "what should the region be" thread? Just so each topic can get attention. Pages 1 and 2 of this thread were about what to base the regions off of, and page 3 of this thread is specifically about the game design principles of open world games vs more controlled progression.
That might be best

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I had a thought after watching a video about the arctic circle. If they made a Canadian or Scandinavian region and its northern half was frozen/snowy then they could include the Aurora Borealis. Granted it'd be only be cinematic to make the area feel more alive.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
People keep saying they want a region based on Egypt but I worry it wouldn't have enough variety in its environments. The majority of it would be desert, some wetlands around the (Nile) river, and some mountains.

I say that because a desert based region might get boring. Would you rather see a variety of different environments like forests, plains, mountains, tundra, caves or just sand?

Harmonie

♫ Ad vivere
People keep saying they want a region based on Egypt but I worry it wouldn't have enough variety in its environments. The majority of it would be desert, some wetlands around the (Nile) river, and some mountains.

I say that because a desert based region might get boring. Would you rather see a variety of different environments like forests, plains, mountains, tundra, caves or just sand?

The counter to that is that GameFreak takes a lot of liberties with the regions they choose. I mean I'm pretty sure there are no deserts in the middle of New York City (Unova). lol. Also I don't believe that Hawaii has snowy peaks either, but I don't know much about Hawaii.

I do really hope that we don't get another warm-climate region, though.

Orphalesion

The counter to that is that GameFreak takes a lot of liberties with the regions they choose. I mean I'm pretty sure there are no deserts in the middle of New York City (Unova). lol. Also I don't believe that Hawaii has snowy peaks either, but I don't know much about Hawaii.

I do really hope that we don't get another warm-climate region, though.

Actually, Hawaii does have snowy peaks and a desert that is so lifeless it's being used to train for potential Mars missions. And Egypt is a lot more varied than just desert.

Deserts in general are more lively and varied than people often think, then they blend over into bush land, steppes or savannahs (depending on where you are), have water holes etc etc etc. So a region based on a dry place would actually be quite interesting imho.
After all I see nobody complaining that the average region in Pokemon tends to be mostly semi-open forests... And they would still mix it up with pother environments, as the other regions show.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
I'd like to see a region based on China. It might be the biggest and most beautiful region.
China has villages, towns, cities, temples, grasslands, forests, jungles, mountains, snowy peaks, deserts, and more.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
Another cold region would be great imo, Sinnoh was 12 years ago and I've had enough of temperate and warm climates. Maybe Canada, Alaska or a Scandinavian country? Preferably colder than Sinnoh, with early Ice-types and snow everywhere.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Guess I'm hoping for these potential regions to have some sense of realism. They can take some liberties by adding in a desert or mountain but still I'd want some realism.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Another cold region would be great imo, Sinnoh was 12 years ago and I've had enough of temperate and warm climates. Maybe Canada, Alaska or a Scandinavian country? Preferably colder than Sinnoh, with early Ice-types and snow everywhere.

The thing about Sinnoh was... I mean even though it was "cold" it really fornthe most part seemed to just be the northern most part as weel as a few mountain spots.

Id love a region that is largely cold, with lots of snow. And the good thing is there are plenty of non-Ice types that could still be out there in this region.

And if they want they can still habe warm parts as well. Just leave 50% or more of the region cold please.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper

Maybe add New England to this list? I know I'm ultra-biased, but it can get pretty rough here in the winter. (late fall and early spring may also have snow). And Russia is also a possible basis for a colder region. Maybe not the entire country, since it's enormous (unless they REALLY shrunk it down).

Harmonie

♫ Ad vivere
Maybe add New England to this list? I know I'm ultra-biased, but it can get pretty rough here in the winter. (late fall and early spring may also have snow). And Russia is also a possible basis for a colder region. Maybe not the entire country, since it's enormous (unless they REALLY shrunk it down).

Isn't New York (Unova) technically a part of New England, though? Correct me if I'm wrong. I do need to know this region because my family is strongly considering moving up there.

Obviously Unova is kind of its own unique thing and doesn't really fit the 'cold' region stereotype. However, in terms of New England, no matter how enthusiastic I am about the idea of moving there, I think Scandinavia would be so much more interesting as a region. The architecture, geology, etc. it's just all so unique. We got Alola, we've had two tropical regions. We need something to contrast that, at least IMO. GameFreak most likely won't see it that way. I have to keep telling myself that.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Isn't New York (Unova) technically a part of New England, though? Correct me if I'm wrong. I do need to know this region because my family is strongly considering moving up there.

Obviously Unova is kind of its own unique thing and doesn't really fit the 'cold' region stereotype. However, in terms of New England, no matter how enthusiastic I am about the idea of moving there, I think Scandinavia would be so much more interesting as a region. The architecture, geology, etc. it's just all so unique. We got Alola, we've had two tropical regions. We need something to contrast that, at least IMO. GameFreak most likely won't see it that way. I have to keep telling myself that.

The six states that are generally considered New England are: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Scandinavia would be a bit more intriguing though.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
The six states that are generally considered New England are: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Scandinavia would be the more interesting choice because of the Norse mythology associated with the region. They could use parts of its stories and gods as inspiration for locations and characters you meet.

I'd be up for it since Norse mythology plays a big role even into modern day. After all we have Marvel's Thor, Vikings TV Series, God of War 4, and Skyrim. So its be interesting to see Pokemons interpretation of the Norse mythology.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Yeah with the Norse mythology and the locations Scandanavia would look pretty great, and has plenty of potential.

Dragon Pulse

I feel like the next region will be based off of Spain, which I don't mind since I always vacation in Spain and enjoy it there.

Harmonie

♫ Ad vivere

Oh wow, I fail. I just knew NY was in the same area, but NY is just one state too far West, then? New Hampshire is where my family is looking, and I knew it was considered New England.

Oh well, they're very close to each other, either way. I understand Unova was going more for a big metropolis region kind of feel, though.

Scandinavia would be so neat, though. Unless they keep up the 2.5D kind of designs to the landscape, then that would kind of put a damper on its unique geology. But it'd still be neat either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.