• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New region = new clothes?

Jigsaw

Banned
Since the release of emerald may had new clothes. Maybe if they go to a new region may will change her clothes.

Chris

Old Coot
The girl from Emerald isn't Haruka. >_> Just like how the girl from Crystal isn't Marina. They look similar, but aren't entirely the same character.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Edward Elric said:
The girl from Emerald isn't Haruka. >_> Just like how the girl from Crystal isn't Marina. They look similar, but aren't entirely the same character.

Oh please Ed, they're the same characters. :/

It's just that in the games your character has no personality whatsoever, and in the anime the writers decided to give them one.

Anyway, I would like to see May wear her Emerald outfit in the anime someday. Maybe not for a whole region, but just for a few episodes or so. From what I can tell her top is even tighter on her chest than her current outfit, if that's even possible. The animators seem to give a great deal of attention to her assets.

Although I am a bit sad that she loses the skirt, something that goes well with her cute, innocent schoolgirl persona. :(

Last edited:

Chris

Old Coot
CyberCubed said:
Oh please Ed, they're the same characters. :/

It's just that in the games your character has no personality whatsoever, and in the anime the writers decided to give them one.
Do remember that the female trainer DOES have a personality of her own when you play as a male. ;) Then you have the manga based off the game, developing that said character.

Not to mention, Marina's outfit's differently colored from Crystal.

They're BASED off the game characters. They're not the same, however. This is going into the same damn logic as saying "lolz ash r red an gary is green!!!!1"

So, on Pokemon Emerald, my rival is named May, and in the Japanese version she is named Hakura and they both match up with their anime counterparts. They didn't change Brock and Misty very much...and they are gym leaders (well, they might not be now but....).

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
are you kidding? They didn't change Takeshi and Kasumi? Please.... maybe at first, they resembled their game counterparts, Takeshi being very stern and serious, and Kasumi being something of a tomboy, but given a bit of time of being main characters..... you all know the story. I wouldn't exactly consider such a thing "character-development" neither, more like "the complete butchering of a character until it's the anime's own creation taking on the avatar of the famous opponents in the games that everyone loves" (notice that hardly a trace of their original game character personalities remained once Takeshi went to being a girl-crazy Pokemon breeder and Kasumi became motherly).

stu770

Soul Trainer
it is the same person coz if your the boy your rival is called may

Rex Kamex

stu770 said:
it is the same person coz if your the boy your rival is called may

But when you play as a boy then May will also be the daughter of Professor Birch while in the anime she is the daughter of Norman.

To answer the question though, I doubt May will change her clothes because if she would change them she would've done it already in [SPOIL]the Battle Fronteir saga.[/SPOIL]

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
MJC CartoGuy said:
To answer the question though, I doubt May will change her clothes because if she would change them she would've done it already in [SPOIL]the Battle Fronteir saga.[/SPOIL]
They probably thought [SPOIL]the Battle Frontier saga [/SPOIL]wasn't quite important enough for a change of clothes. They're waiting for a new region, maybe even a new series again? o_O

I feel like I'm the only one that's doubting May will continue to travel with Ash to the next region. :/ I mean come on, she was nice to have around, but I for one want someone new to join the ranks and replace her (and Max, too, I guess). She seemed like someone who'd stay in Hoenn, participating in its Pokemon Contests (I don't know if these contests are exclusive to Hoenn, but they should be). I'm not 100% sure they'll give May the boot, but I'm pretty confident at this point. :p

Amadeus

Landshark
In D1@mond and P3@rl, they only wear their underwear. For realz.

Bah. Anyway, I figure the game will feature a different protagonist again. I mean, the guy in Gold/Silver does look like the first one, but he was different still. I figure it'd be at least that much different.

G

Geki

May should keep the same clothes as always, the original Hoenn clothes.

Faerie

MONS
I think that Haruka and Masato will go away eventually. At least for a little while, then come back and leave again, like Kasumi. Some of us are getting a little bored of them. >__>

But if they stay, they're bound to get new clothes eventually. That's really the style of the anime artists: have the characters change clothes every three years or so. xD

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
May won't go away because she's not a supporting character, she's the star of the series.

It's the same reason why they'll never get rid of Ash and Pikachu, they're the stars and the main heroes. She's the second most important character in the series right after Ash/Pika. Ash and May will be here forever unless they decide to start totally fresh with a new series.

As for Misty, it looks like her and Tracey were written out permanantly. Don't expect to see either of them as anything more than a recurring character. In fact, I'm still surprised that some people actually believe that they will return to the main cast someday.

Last edited:

Jigsaw

Banned
I said new region.

Battle frontier is happening in kanto in the anime, so it isn't a new region.

So they wouldn't change her clothes in the battle frontier since it isn't a new region.

Raziel

Lively up yourself
CyberCubed said:
May won't go away because she's not a supporting character, she's the star of the series.

It's the same reason why they'll never get rid of Ash and Pikachu, they're the stars and the main heroes. She's the second most important character in the series right after Ash/Pika. Ash and May will be here forever unless they decide to start totally fresh with a new series.

Who says May can't be "replaced" by another star?

IMO, May will be around for a while, but she can be replaced by another girl getting a star role in the next regions.

And to answer the topic: No. I doubt any of the characters will change their clothes for the next region, since May and Max are still fresh and Ash and Brock just got their new clothes relatively not long ago. However, I admit it would be interesting to see May in Emerald clothes.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Lucifer said:
Who says May can't be "replaced" by another star?

Because there's no point? Some people here think that writers get rid of characters just for the hell of it. The writers love May, look at how much screentime she gets. She's probably their favorite character to write.

So the writers are potentially going to remove one of the most popular characters of the show, one of the reasons AG was a success, just to bring in a new character? I doubt it.

Writers don't ditch characters for absolutely no reason at all, and I feel sorry for the people who honestly believe this. Misty and Brock and Tracey were removed for a reason. Brock because of 4kids, Tracey because his character bombed completely with kids, and Misty because they ran her character into the ground. As for May, from a writing perspective, what is the point? The writers found their male and female stars of the show (Ash/May), and it's a ridiculous concept to think that either would be replaced. (Unless of course we get a brand new series that cleans the slate completely and takes place in a different universe)

Last edited:

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
CyberCubed said:
Because there's no point? Some people here think that writers get rid of characters just for the hell of it. The writers love May, look at how much screentime she gets. She's probably their favorite character to write.
But can they keep it up? She may seem great now, but I doubt interest in her will stay strong for long.

CyberCubed said:
So the writers are potentially going to remove one of the most popular characters of the show, one of the reasons AG was a success, just to bring in a new character? I doubt it.
Why not? It's all about keeping things fresh, right? >_>

CyberCubed said:
Writers don't ditch characters for absolutely no reason at all, and I feel sorry for the people who honestly believe this. Misty and Brock and Tracey were removed for a reason. Brock because of 4kids, Tracey because his character bombed completely with kids, and Misty because they ran her character into the ground. As for May, from a writing perspective, what is the point? The writers found their male and female stars of the show (Ash/May), and it's a ridiculous concept to think that either would be replaced.
I really don't think of May's importance in the show at the same level as Ash's. She's temporarily important, sure, but I just don't see how the writers can keep someone strong in Pokemon Contests. The fans would get bored of it after awhile, so keeping her doing the same thing for another season is risky. It might work out, but it could just as easily be suicide.

CyberCubed said:
(Unless of course we get a brand new series that cleans the slate completely and takes place in a different universe)
Maybe that's what I'm hoping for. It's certainly possible, with the new 4th generation of Pokemon that's become highly anticipated over the years. Anyway, I think whether May will stick around boils down to whether they can keep her new and interesting. But I'm rather doubtful now.

G

Geki

It would be awesome if Ash and May traveled to the Diamond and Pearl region together. Just them, no Max or Brock. And maybe the male hero from the games could be the new Brock.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Blue Pokemon Master said:
But can they keep it up? She may seem great now, but I doubt interest in her will stay strong for long.

Why not? The writers are constantly doing new things with her. Not to mention look at Ash. He's been the main hero for 9 seasons and they've given him character development to continue to keep him interesting.

Why not? It's all about keeping things fresh, right? >_>

So in other words, getting rid of old characters and thus destroying all that build-up is a good excuse to "keep things fresh?" They already do that with new Pokemon teams every region. We've seen Ash do Gyms for 9 freakin' years, it's not like they've changed his quest and made it fresh.

I really don't think of May's importance in the show at the same level as Ash's.

That's why I said she's the second most important character in the show. Ash is still the hero, but May co-stars the show with him.

She's temporarily important, sure, but I just don't see how the writers can keep someone strong in Pokemon Contests. The fans would get bored of it after awhile, so keeping her doing the same thing for another season is risky.

Huh? How is this different from Ash doing Gyms every region? Lots of people are bored of Ash going on a little token collection every region, but have they changed that? Ash has 28 badges at the end of Hoenn, and the writers see no problem with that. That being said, who said that May will only be doing contests? Both her and Ash can be given an extensive sidequest as well.

It might work out, but it could just as easily be suicide.

Which is why Ash has been doing the exact same thing since the show started, yea. :/

Anyway, I think whether May will stick around boils down to whether they can keep her new and interesting. But I'm rather doubtful now.

Um, they have kept hew new and interesting. Ash and May are the heroes, they co-star AG together. If Ash hasn't gotten boring after 9 seasons of doing the same thing, why would May? Why would they get rid of a character they devoted nearly 50% of AG to? A character who is there to help increase the female demographic of Pokemon, she's there to give girls a heroine to look up to and aspire to be. Same way Ash is there for the boys. Ash and May are heroes in the games, thus they're heroes in the show. The writers aren't going to get rid of the main heroes, especially since neither one has achieved their goal.