• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New region = new clothes?

Rex Kamex

CyberCubed said:
Um, they have kept hew new and interesting. Ash and May are the heroes, they co-star AG together. If Ash hasn't gotten boring after 9 seasons of doing the same thing, why would May? Why would they get rid of a character they devoted nearly 50% of AG to? A character who is there to help increase the female demographic of Pokemon, she's there to give girls a heroine to look up to and aspire to be. Same way Ash is there for the boys. Ash and May are heroes in the games, thus they're heroes in the show. The writers aren't going to get rid of the main heroes, especially since neither one has achieved their goal.

And they never will at their rate. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that line!)

Jigsaw said:
I said new region.

Battle frontier is happening in kanto in the anime, so it isn't a new region.

So they wouldn't change her clothes in the battle frontier since it isn't a new region.

But the Battle Fronteir is promoted by Emerald, in which the main girl characters clothes were changed. So it would be fitting for May to change her clothes in that saga, which she didn't.

L

Light-Dragon_Ryu

Does anyone notice that green makes Ruby and Sapphire look incredibly pale?

Rex Kamex

Light-Dragon_Ryu said:
Does anyone notice that green makes Ruby and Sapphire look incredibly pale?

But this is Emerald. Emerald has the green.

Wait... do you mean the Ruby and Sapphire games, or the people in Special?

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
CyberCubed said:
Why not? The writers are constantly doing new things with her. Not to mention look at Ash. He's been the main hero for 9 seasons and they've given him character development to continue to keep him interesting.
I suppose. But he's the main main character, and at this point people are used to following him around.

CyberCubed said:
So in other words, getting rid of old characters and thus destroying all that build-up is a good excuse to "keep things fresh?" They already do that with new Pokemon teams every region. We've seen Ash do Gyms for 9 freakin' years, it's not like they've changed his quest and made it fresh.
But his quest is what the show is mainly based around. As long as they find new ways to change this quest but keep it in tact, it'll be fine (although I would like some MAJOR changes at this point). But anyway, I don't think Contests are exciting enough to take out of Hoenn.

CyberCubed said:
That's why I said she's the second most important character in the show. Ash is still the hero, but May co-stars the show with him.
Well... I still feel like you're putting her at a slightly high level. :/ But I guess I can see how she co-stars Advanced Generation.

CyberCubed said:
Huh? How is this different from Ash doing Gyms every region? Lots of people are bored of Ash going on a little token collection every region, but have they changed that? Ash has 28 badges at the end of Hoenn, and the writers see no problem with that.
Are you telling me you enjoy Contests just as much as Gyms? IMO, Contests were a nice change of events for Advanced Generation, but I enjoy and am used to gym battles much more than contests.

CyberCubed said:
That being said, who said that May will only be doing contests? Both her and Ash can be given an extensive sidequest as well.
I dunno. I never pictured May doing anything but contests. She chose to be a Co-ordinator, just like Ash chose to remain training until he becomes a Pokemon Master. In order to continue this, they'd have to keep on going with the Contests, so it depends on whether you can enjoy those for more seasons.

CyberCubed said:
Which is why Ash has been doing the exact same thing since the show started, yea. :/
But it hasn't bored you that much, has it?

CyberCubed said:
Um, they have kept hew new and interesting. Ash and May are the heroes, they co-star AG together. If Ash hasn't gotten boring after 9 seasons of doing the same thing, why would May? Why would they get rid of a character they devoted nearly 50% of AG to? A character who is there to help increase the female demographic of Pokemon, she's there to give girls a heroine to look up to and aspire to be. Same way Ash is there for the boys. Ash and May are heroes in the games, thus they're heroes in the show. The writers aren't going to get rid of the main heroes, especially since neither one has achieved their goal.
Well, nevertheless, I saw May as a temporary character. If the writers really planned on keeping her for a long time, they sure fooled me. >_>

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Blue Pokemon Master said:
I suppose. But he's the main main character, and at this point people are used to following him around.

And since Pokemon Advance started, people are used to following Ash and May around. ;)

But his quest is what the show is mainly based around. As long as they find new ways to change this quest but keep it in tact, it'll be fine (although I would like some MAJOR changes at this point). But anyway, I don't think Contests are exciting enough to take out of Hoenn.

Erm...

[SPOIL] The contests DO continue out of Hoenn. There are Contests in Kanto now as well. [/SPOIL]

Well... I still feel like you're putting her at a slightly high level. :/ But I guess I can see how she co-stars Advanced Generation.

She's more important than any other character on the show aside from Ash/Pikachu. None of the other characters in the group (Misty/Brock/Max/Tracey) have had an entire story arc devoted to them as well as entire fillers continually devoted to them, and that co-starred the show with Ash. She is the main heroine, just like she is in the games, and much like Ash is the main hero, the others are not.

Are you telling me you enjoy Contests just as much as Gyms? IMO, Contests were a nice change of events for Advanced Generation, but I enjoy and am used to gym battles much more than contests.

Nearly all of May's contests have been far better written, far more exciting and had much more character development than most of Ash's Hoenn Gym battles. With the exception of the lousy Dusclops Vs. Skitty Contest, all the others ones in AG were very good. The coordinators that May faces are also some of the best one-shot characters on the show, they all have actual motives, real personalities, and seem to hail back to the quality of the grand old Kanto one-shots from the 1st season.

I dunno. I never pictured May doing anything but contests. She chose to be a Co-ordinator, just like Ash chose to remain training until he becomes a Pokemon Master.

Ash is doing something other than Gyms once Hoenn ends, there's no reason a coordinator has to be limited to contests either. I can see the writers (or Gamefreaks for that matter) expanding what coordinators do in the games/show aside from contests.

In order to continue this, they'd have to keep on going with the Contests, so it depends on whether you can enjoy those for more seasons.

People sat through Ash doing Gyms for 9 years and over 400+ episodes. I'm sure people can sit through May doing contests for more than a few seasons.

But it hasn't bored you that much, has it?

No, not really.

Well, nevertheless, I saw May as a temporary character. If the writers really planned on keeping her for a long time, they sure fooled me. >_>

I really don't understand how you could see May as a temporary character to begin with. Right from her first episode you could see that they were mirroring how Ash started out back in the very first episode. They were having May start out the same way Ash did, not to mention the insane amount of episodes and story arcs devoted to her. How could she be a temporary character when they've given so much attention to her? When Ash has taken her under his wing to help train and mentor? For example Tracey is easy to see as a replacement character, since when we first met him the only thing he wanted to do was meet Oak. It was obvious he wanted to stay there. There's a reason why Ash and May get all the screentime in AG, while Max and Brock get a single filler episode once in a blue moon.

May wants to travel and see the world, she has the same kind of energetic personality that Ash does. She's going to continue to jump at the chance to go to new regions, much like Ash does to continue his goal.

I think it's pretty obvious that May is as intergal to the series as Ash is, they writers have found their male and female lead that young boys and girls respectively can watch and aspire to be.

They are the main heroes, and just like Ash is never going to get ditched, the chances of May going are very slim as well. The supporting characters in this show (Misty, Brock, Tracey, Max) are expendable. They come and go. The main heroes (Ash and May) are here for the foreseeable future, they are the show. The entirety of AG revolves around the two. Big difference.

Last edited:

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
CyberCubed said:
Erm...

[SPOIL] The contests DO continue out of Hoenn. There are Contests in Kanto now as well. [/SPOIL]
Crap... I had a feeling that was so, but I never knew for sure. o_o

CyberCubed said:
She's more important than any other character on the show aside from Ash/Pikachu. None of the other characters in the group (Misty/Brock/Max/Tracey) have had an entire story arc devoted to them as well as entire fillers continually devoted to them, and that co-starred the show with Ash. She is the main heroine, just like she is in the games, and much like Ash is the main hero, the others are not.
Yes, but regardless, I thought she'd remain such a main character in Hoenn alone (no pun intended).

CyberCubed said:
Nearly all of May's contests have been far better written, far more exciting and had much more character development than most of Ash's Hoenn Gym battles. With the exception of the lousy Dusclops Vs. Skitty Contest, all the others ones in AG were very good. The coordinators that May faces are also some of the best one-shot characters on the show, they all have actual motives, real personalities, and seem to hail back to the quality of the grand old Kanto one-shots from the 1st season.
I agree. But the general idea of Contests still seem more inferior to Gym battles, or do you disagree there?

CyberCubed said:
Ash is doing something other than Gyms once Hoenn ends, there's no reason a coordinator has to be limited to contests either. I can see the writers (or Gamefreaks for that matter) expanding what coordinators do in the games/show aside from contests.
Meh... I guess. But I'm not completely convinced they will, yet.

CyberCubed said:
People sat through Ash doing Gyms for 9 years and over 400+ episodes. I'm sure people can sit through May doing contests for more than a few seasons.
Don't know about me. But the way you're upholding them, maybe the writers really do have more in store for Contests.

CyberCubed said:
I really don't understand how you could see May as a temporary character to begin with. Right from her first episode you could see that they were mirroring how Ash started out back in the very first episode. They were having May start out the same way Ash did, not to mention the insane amount of episodes and story arcs devoted to her. How could she be a temporary character when they've given so much attention to her? When Ash has taken her under his wing to help train and mentor? For example Tracey is easy to see as a replacement character, since when we first met him the only thing he wanted to do was meet Oak. It was obvious he wanted to stay there. There's a reason why Ash and May get all the screentime in AG, while Max and Brock get a single filler episode once in a blue moon.
I thought they were just trying to make one new main character for this region, and trying to expand on her to add a nice new element that would make Advanced Generation go with a bang. I didn't expect them to keep her going strong for more seasons.

CyberCubed said:
May wants to travel and see the world, she has the same kind of energetic personality that Ash does. She's going to continue to jump at the chance to go to new regions, much like Ash does to continue his goal.
I didn't think she'd do so within the viewer's eyes. And again, I first thought Contests was a Hoenn exclusive thing.

CyberCubed said:
I think it's pretty obvious that May is as intergal to the series as Ash is, they writers have found their male and female lead that young boys and girls respectively can watch and aspire to be.
Maybe you're right. I don't know anymore. >_>

CyberCubed said:
They are the main heroes, and just like Ash is never going to get ditched, the chances of May going are very slim as well. The supporting characters in this show (Misty, Brock, Tracey, Max) are expendable. They come and go. The main heroes (Ash and May) are here for the foreseeable future, they are the show. The entirety of AG revolves around the two. Big difference.
Perhaps. You could be right, I'm not sure what the writers are thinking. I'm still not completely sure what they'll do with May, but if they keep her going with Contests and to new regions (for the 4th generation of Pokemon), then you can take a moment to laugh in my face. o_O; We'll see.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Blue Pokemon Master said:
I agree. But the general idea of Contests still seem more inferior to Gym battles, or do you disagree there?

That depends on the person. They're completely different goals, just like real life jobs are completely different. One is not really inferior than the other, it's just whatever you like more. In the show though, the writers already made it apparent that coordinators are just as strong battling in real battles as in contest battles. See "Win Lose or Drew" and "Fan with a Plan".

I thought they were just trying to make one new main character for this region, and trying to expand on her to add a nice new element that would make Advanced Generation go with a bang. I didn't expect them to keep her going strong for more seasons.

Writers never introduce characters just for one region. They want their characters to last, that's why they create them in the first place. Whenever a character left the group (Brock, Tracey, Misty) it was all for a reason. Brock was dropped because 4kids complained about his eyes, Tracey was dropped because his character completely bombed, and Misty was dropped because her character was run into the ground. The writers don't just throw all the names of the main characters in a hat and randomly decide who to kick off each region. Heck, I'm willing to bet that Max will still be here next region, even if he does relatively nothing in most episodes. If he's popular and the writers like him, he'll still be here too.

Perhaps. You could be right, I'm not sure what the writers are thinking. I'm still not completely sure what they'll do with May, but if they keep her going with Contests and to new regions (for the 4th generation of Pokemon), then you can take a moment to laugh in my face. o_O; We'll see.

Contests or no contests, I think it's obvious that May will continue. Ash is a Kanto character, but that didn't stop him from traveling to Johto and Hoenn did it? Same with Brock. Just because May is a Hoenn character, that doesn't mean that she can't travel to new regions either.

What game era they were created for makes little difference, it's the writers making said characters having respective roles in the show that make them continue.

Crystal Clair

Hmm, I was also thinking that (the thread name, not the current discussion). I'd think they'd keep the same clothes unless their next region was a snowy region. Other than that, not really.
Reminds me of all those icy-Ash pictures now.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Okay, okay. I've changed the way I look at the characters' appearances and why they stick around... but I have a feeling the writers will give us something new to think about when we see the roster for the next region.

One more thing, though:
CyberCubed said:
Brock was dropped because 4kids complained about his eyes
4Kids complained about his eyes? I thought it was just a bunch of random fans or something. I didn't think 4Kids themselves had a problem with it.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
They thought he wouldn't catch on with kids because of the way he looked, which is why he was replaced by a very "american" looking guy (Tracey).

However, once 4kids realized that Brock was a major hit with fans, the writers quickly got rid of Tracey at the end of the saga and brought Brock back.