• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Router causing (?) issuses while streaming video

48Elmaxo16

Hauu!!!
I recently got a wireless router for my PC. Of course, It's technically still the same as I use an Ethernet cable to connect my PC -_-.
Anyway, this router does seem to perform slightly faster than my old router under normal conditions which is good but, when I stream video from Youtube.com etc. my computer is unable to open any other web pages until the video has finished streaming. I did this about an hour ago and it appears that for some odd reason, Serebiiforums.com is unaffected by this.
I was wondering if there's a reason why my router seems to... um, disconnect all other requests (except serebii!) when I'm streaming video?
When I had my other router it simply slowed down everything a bit.

Old Router - Speedtouch 536
New Router - NetComm NB6Plus4Wn ADSL2+ Router with 11n Wireless
Internet - Broadband, via Firefox, Google Chrome
(Also, I think I had the forums open before I started loading the video so that may have had something to do with it working i think maybe)
It also stops my ds from being able to use Wi-Fi whilst in the process of loading video.

Basically, I was wondering as to if there's a reason for this or if it can be fixed through changing options somewhere in the computer or something.

Pokemon_Veteran

Poké Sage
Video demands a lot of bandwidth. Also, the router may be set to prioritize multimedia over other requests meaning your DS is in a sense wait listed, and that is where the slowing down occurs. Also, a feature called 802.11e or WMM QoS may be enabled. The description of this feature indicates something like this, the router will not let anything interfere with the streaming of multimedia, so other requests are ignored. Simply turn this feature off.

To do so, you need to know your router's local IP Address. Mine is http://192.168.2.1, so start off by opening your web browser and type "http://192.168.2.1" in the address bar. If this is your router's local IP Address, it will take you to the router's homepage where you can adjust its settings.

48Elmaxo16

Hauu!!!
Ah Thank you! um, i've been looking through the pages and the closest thing i've seen so far is "802.11b" in wireless > transmission mode...
I'll keep hunting, but if you could give me a general idea of where in homepage area it is then that would be of great help.
Thanks

EDIT: Found the WMM (QoS) thing, I think it was set to disabled, but I enabled it and then disabled it again to see if that would help.
Ooh! google at the very least seems to have started working again, but proper websites aren't going still. Anyway, It shouldn't be too much of a problem, and indeed it'll encourage me to step away from the computer every now and then.

Last edited: