• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Starter Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

profpeanut

There's no logical reason to, so it's not something really worth thinking about.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I wouldn't be mind if one of the starters was a Rock-type pokemon, for the first time, although Fire, Water and Grass are the most popular, so maybe Normal is more logical.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
I'd like to see starter types changed, the current ones look like exhausted of ideas. Something along the lines of Ground-Ice-Steel would be interesting.

Johnroawr

Fire Trainer
Mainly i'd think it'd just be better just to leave it at Fire, Water, and Grass.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
It can probably learn a move good against grass/fighting (Aerial Ace, HP flying).

That isn't really something that would balance out the type weaknesses because everything gets Hidden Power.

Charmander, Totodile, and Treeko as starters in a game is probally as close as we are going to get to all dragon starters.

Interesting point, but it's unlikely that they'll ever mix up starters from different gens.

I think one of the reasons they initially chose Fire/Grass/Water as it was the most balanced triangle, since they were all specially based at the time.

Sinnohdragon

Dragoness~
No. Just no.

Imo, the constant grass-water-fire starter trio is one of the things that are always there in every generation and it just wouldn't seem right to remove them at this late point. Like every generation has its fish, early bird and bug line and a legendary trio of some sort.

And fire-grass-water are also nice basic types and colours. Red-green-blue just seem more relevant than brown-black-purple, and not many people (i'm especially thinking people who play the game for the fun and the storyline not competitive battlers) actually use types like rock or poison for example.

Well that's my opinion anyway ^^

Indragon

Back in the USSR
and not many people (i'm especially thinking people who play the game for the fun and the storyline not competitive battlers) actually use types like rock or poison for example.

C'mon that's not really right. People who play the games for fun can have a favourite Pokemon who is of a rock or poison type and so they use it. I do battle competitively but when I play the games, I play for fun and I do have some favourites like Toxicroak and Armaldo who are poison and rock types.

Sinnohdragon

Dragoness~
C'mon that's not really right. People who play the games for fun can have a favourite Pokemon who is of a rock or poison type and so they use it. I do battle competitively but when I play the games, I play for fun and I do have some favourites like Toxicroak and Armaldo who are poison and rock types.

I think you're missing my point. I don't mean people don't use them or don't have them as favourites, but a lot of story players i know just go for a set standard team of something fire, water, electric, flying, ground, grass, psychic and use other types and secondaries.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Well, actually, unless someone really wants to use those 'standard' types you mention, most people would just use Pokemon they like or use something for a challenge or just make up their team as the story goes along.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
they could do something similar to pokemon yellow like they give you an eevee or something (this will only happen if genius sonority stops producing the colloseum series or how about changing the types of the pokemon you first encounter along the beginning of your journey from the basic normal bug and electric type along with the flying normal type

Last edited:

Grass Guardian

Rags to Riches
Not that I have anything against the current trio, but what about Steel>Ice>Ground? Steel bests Ice, which bests ground, and ground in turn bests steel. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Not that I have anything against the current trio, but what about Steel>Ice>Ground? Steel bests Ice, which bests ground, and ground in turn bests steel. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Steel doesn't strike me as being a good type offensively. There aren't so many good Steel type attacks.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
and the Triangle has to go reverse in Resistance to, Ground is normal against Ice, so it's not a perfect Resist<->Weak triangle.

Grass Guardian

Rags to Riches
Steel doesn't strike me as being a good type offensively. There aren't so many good Steel type attacks.

That's where Game Freak would have to step in and provide some new, decent attacks.

and the Triangle has to go reverse in Resistance to, Ground is normal against Ice, so it's not a perfect Resist<->Weak triangle.

Hmm... not necessarily. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in R/S/E, Swampert's ground and water attacks are both resisted by Sceptile and are both super effective against Blazekin. To add Blazekin can only hit for neutral damage to Swampert with its fighting moves. And then there's Empoleon who gets hit hard by both Torterra's ground attacks and Infernape's fighting. And, once Torterra tacks on that ground half, Empoleon hits him for neutral damage with water.

AKRy100

Shockingly electric!
Fire, water and grass work fine in my opinion. It's just the secondary types that they need to be more adventurous with. How about a trio of Grass/Electric, Fire/Water and Water/Rock? Or Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic and Water/Dark? Or even Fire/Bug, Water/Grass and Grass/Rock?

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Secondary types are not the starting types (save for Bulbasuar) the starting 3 types must go in perfect triangle forward and back for weak and resist.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I like to just keep the starters types just as they are.But,having dual types like Grass-Fighting,Fire-Steel,and Water-Posion would be nice.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I like to just keep the starters types just as they are.But,having dual types like Grass-Fighting,Fire-Steel,and Water-Posion would be nice.

Pretty much every final form starter is dual type. And I wouldn't really want a part-Poison starter. Poison is one of the most useless types, second only to bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.