• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Starter Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach

Speculator
So, we're all accustomed to the usual Grass, Fire, & Water starters in the games. I think they should start making new starter types in future generations. I'd personally like to see Psychic, Dark, & Fight starters.

Who think there should be different starter types in the future?

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Starte types have to form a perfect triangle, with weak/resist, the only other one is Rock/Flying/Fighting & Steel/Rock/Fire, since the player picking Psychic wouldn't be able to do much to the Dark picker.

Last edited:

ckayer11

Steel User
Why would they change something that's been such a major part of the games? It's almost like a tradition they have going. They're never gonna change the start types as long as the series is alive.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So, we're all accustomed to the usual Grass, Fire, & Water starters in the games. I think they should start making new starter types in future generations. I'd personally like to see Psychic, Dark, & Fight starters.

Who think there should be different starter types in the future?

It'd be hard to come up with another trio that is equal and catchy like Grass, Fire, Water. The Psychic, Dark, Fighting thing has been brought up many many times and it doesn't work. Dark is immune to Psychic so it's an unequal trio.

Starte types have to form a perfect triangle, with weak/resist, the only other one is Rock/Flying/Fighting, since the player picking Psychic wouldn't be able to do much to the Dark picker.

There's actually a lot of them, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Rock/Grass/Flying is another one.

Last edited:

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
which leaves Fighting/Flying/Rock, & Steel/Rock/Fire. and Since pure Flying doesn't seem to click with GF the 1st combo won't happen.

what happens when you're KO'd the turn you use MI? or they switch? or you missed due to Double Team? it's to unfair to force you to have 1 move dedicated to your rival that can be so easily thwarted.

Last edited:

Chimchar15

Fire/Rock/Steel works as well. I don't know I kind of like the whole grass, fire, water trio. If they changed it I would miss it.

Dan The Poke Man

MEGAMEGAMEGA
Never, Grass, Fire, and water are 3 of the 4 elements of earth. (besides earth itself of course)

And it's been going on forever, so there's no point in changing it.

Johnroawr

Fire Trainer
You're forgetting the evolution of the starter Pokemon, they gain other types when they evolve.

They should just stick to the trio they have and just mix it up with dual typing like they have been. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Otherwise start as a team rocket recruit and have fun with a stolen zubat.

ForeverFlame

No. We've been having this conversation since before the third generation, and so far it has never come true. I don't see why it would change now.

Then there's the whole dark-is-immune-to-psychic-so-it-wouldn't-work-out thing that people argued over back in 2006. But even besides that, do you really believe that Gamefreak would break such a long tradition? Pokemon isn't known for breaking traditions.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
They should just stick to the trio they have and just mix it up with dual typing like they have been. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Otherwise start as a team rocket recruit and have fun with a stolen zubat.

That'd be a fun spin-off. Oh wait, we have that. It's called Pokemon Colloseum.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
They could always mix it up and go Dark/Grass, Psychic/Water, Fire/Fighting, or something of the like for later evos.

That particular trio is imbalanced because of Dark's immunity to Psychic, but I agree they should have something along the lines of that.

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
I think the Grass/Fire/Water thing is getting slightly stale myself, and could use some new creativity... Personally, I think it would be really cool if they kept the same Grass/Fire/Water triangle, but just put a new spin on it....

Like, instead of having 3 starters, just have one that evolves into several different pokemon (like Eevee) depending on some factor... Make it like Wurple, where the player doesn't know what it'll evolve into, or maybe like Tyrogue... Either way, I think it'd be a cool idea for a starter.
...But that's just my opinion.. I won't be surprised if no one agrees with me...

True, things that aren't broken shouldn't be fixed, but that doesn't mean that they can't be innovated/improved on every now and then. Just because something is a "tradition" doesn't mean that breaking it will be inevitably bad. There is always a possibility that breaking a tradition will create a new one that's even better. But of course, yeah, it could just be bad.

That being said, GameFreak will probably just stick to the old tried-and-true method concerning pokemon starters. Simply because it's tried-and-true.

Luke the Almighty

Kickin' Gastly
A physical type trio is Flying/Rock/Fighting. Can't believe no one's thought of it. Make a duo so the weaknesses go both ways.

Grass/Flying, Fire/Fighting, Water/Rock.

Johnroawr

Fire Trainer
Like, instead of having 3 starters, just have one that evolves into several different pokemon (like Eevee) depending on some factor... Make it like Wurple, where the player doesn't know what it'll evolve into, or maybe like Tyrogue... Either way, I think it'd be a cool idea for a starter.
true.

Your idea just says "Put eevee as a starter pokemon"

yeminied

If you're going to eliminate the grass/fire/water starter trio then I would say that would not want to have one of those types in the trio, this then takes out the steel/fire/rock trio and the grass/flying/rock trio.

And since the starters have always been solo typed, bar Bulbasaur, then we couldn't have a flying/fighting/rock trio since there has been no pure flying type.

And of course how fair would it be to have one starter be immune to another starters type, ie. Psychic on Dark.

I personally don't think they would ever break away from the grass/fire/water starter trio because it is tradition and it would feel weird picking Pokemon of other types.

rocky505

It won't change people said it was going to in DP but it didn't so that proves it won't happen.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
And since the starters have always been solo typed, bar Bulbasaur, then we couldn't have a flying/fighting/rock trio since there has been no pure flying type.

Normal/Flying is "pure flying". They'd have the first form Normal/Flying, and the final form would gain a secondary type and drop normal type.

Status
Not open for further replies.