• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

New Starter Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

¿Ray?

Pokemon Master
A physical type trio is Flying/Rock/Fighting. Can't believe no one's thought of it. Make a duo so the weaknesses go both ways.

Grass/Flying, Fire/Fighting, Water/Rock.
Tropius, Blaziken, Kabutops/Omastar. NEXT.

*coughmyfakedexcough* I used Grass/Fighting, Fire/Rock, and Water/Flying, being as Fire/Fighting is way overused.
Breloom, Magcargo, Mantine. NEXT.

Water/Fight, Grass/Rock, Fire/Fly then!
Something new, Cradily, Charizard/Moltres. Slight improvement. NEXT.

That would be awesome! So awesome that it won't ever come true.

Do you really think that would be awesome? You shouldn't. It would suck big time. I don't understand why everyone sings the praises of pretty much the same Pokemon redesigned for each generation. If I have to see another overpowered Dragon-type with a massive weakness to Ice, I'm gonna freak out. I want to slap every noob in the mouth who runs dragons when all they do is cry about being taken down by something as simple as Ice Beam.

Game Freak WILL NOT try to "fix something that CLEARLY isn't broken." Let it go.

Indragon

Back in the USSR

And again, given that they can't put the Ground-type in a trio with Fire and Water, the Grass-type is a more than capable stand-in to represent "earth", particularly since the classical element represented not just the ground itself, but the plants and trees that grew from it as well.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood you. You're right in that sense, in the traditional Fire/Grass/Water trio, Grass is the only thing that comes remotely close to resembling the "Earth" element.

Chimchar15

Tropius, Blaziken, Kabutops/Omastar. NEXT.

Breloom, Magcargo, Mantine. NEXT.

Something new, Cradily, Charizard/Moltres. Slight improvement. NEXT.

Do you really think that would be awesome? You shouldn't. It would suck big time. I don't understand why everyone sings the praises of pretty much the same Pokemon redesigned for each generation. If I have to see another overpowered Dragon-type with a massive weakness to Ice, I'm gonna freak out. I want to slap every noob in the mouth who runs dragons when all they do is cry about being taken down by something as simple as Ice Beam.

Game Freak WILL NOT try to "fix something that CLEARLY isn't broken." Let it go.

First let's get this straight I'm no noob. Second I think Dragons are cool and to see them as starters would be awesome. This is my opinion and just because you don't agree with me, doesn't mean you have the right to go bashing other people's ideas. They're not my favorite type but I like them. Also the only starter that would have a 4x weakness to ice would be a grass/dragon. Also if you bothered at all to read all my posts you would've known that I do like starters the way they are, and don't want it to change. I just thought the other ideas was good as well.

Skull-Kid

I would like to see a new type combination.

It probably won't change however seeing as Pokemon is a formula.

rocky505

Next Gen I want Grass/dark, Fire/steel, water/fighting. may be fire/psychic instead.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
^^That's not a balanced trinity of types because Dark is immune to Psychic, and doesn't resist it like it should. With Fire/steel, it doesn't get the advantage against grass as much as it should.

rocky505

It can probably learn a move good against grass/fighting (Aerial Ace, HP flying).

Kotone

They could always mix it up and go Dark/Grass, Psychic/Water, Fire/Fighting, or something of the like for later evos.

Yeah but I think we have enough fire/fighting starters like blaziken and infernape

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't think anyone has said:
Ground / Poison / Grass

That is another group that fits.

As I said before, there's dozens of them. At any rate, I wouldn't be too fond of this one since the only things that make poison useful are Toxic and Toxic Spikes.

Doridor

Pokemon!
Never, Grass, Fire, and water are 3 of the 4 elements of earth. (besides earth itself of course)

And it's been going on forever, so there's no point in changing it.

First up, the four elements of the earth are fire, water, earth and air. In some cultures, there's a fifth element, Metal.

EDIT: I just read the third page, so dont bother fighting against this ^ anymore.

Now with that said, are we all forgetting the anime? If the anime doesn't change the startes (which I dont think it will in a long time), then the games won't either. Sure I was hoping for a Eevee started, which shows my luck when I missed out on getting colloseum (fail), but that won't happen again in the main games for a while too.

And what is wrong with fire/water/grass? There's all those points like that "it's balanced", but they're already said previously, so im not gonna be bothered with it.

But the main thing is, and it was hinted before in the quote, that pokemon is japanese: It believes in the elements. So really, if they change the starters, it will "upset" the balance of the game. The only thing they would do, and what they'd never do cause starters is so perfected already, is put ground as one of the starters ,or maybe rock, as I still does uphold the "balance" of the chinese elements, and it is still balanced in that grass>fire>rock>grass.

But of course they could put a "yellow twist" on the games, and give no choice and throw you into the world of pokemon with a little electric rodent against the first rock (dual ground) gym. That will sure end well >.< Not that they will start with pikachu again. Or eevee. So what then? A ditto? (OMG YES Ditto starter ftw!!!)

Last edited:

elite ralf

the fire-water-grass trio has been there since the franchise began. traditionally speaking, changing it with new trios isn't really that necessary and nice (for the game designers that made the first of the games.lol), but I guess it would nonetheless be a welcome change to a new upcoming generation both of the franchise and of the players in the succeeding years

cascade88

< go ask alice >
I think it'd be neat to get an Eevee as a starter. If the Evolution stones were easier to get earlier on (and you could access Eterna Forest somehow) then you could (if you so desired) simply evolve it into a grass, water or fire type (amongst others).

Status
Not open for further replies.