• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Starters - Discussion/Speculation Thread

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Y'all, I just remembered something that might kill a few dreams about Sprigatito.

There was a very popular fairytale in Spain - originally from Italy - called El Gato con Botas. In English, the hero is known as Puss In Boots. Before the Shrek film series, El Gato con Botas was primarily popular in Spain. It is quite possible this fairytale could become the basis for Sprigatito's final evolved form.

DSDark

Breeder
Cinderace may be the best in Singles, but Rillaboom is by far the best in Doubles. As a matter of fact, I think Rillaboom is on par with Venusaur as the best Grass starters of all time.

As far as the best starters in competitive play, I would rank them like this:
Gen 1: Venusaur, although if we're including Mega Evolution Charizard Y is the best. Blastoise is amazing too.
Gen 2: Feraligatr. If it can set up with Dragon Dance, it is downright scary holding a Life Orb.
Gen 3: Blaziken. Speed Boost Blaziken is a beast. At the time it was released, it was probably the best starter of all time.
Gen 4: Infernape or Empoleon. Infernape is probably used more, but I prefer the latter.
Gen 5: Serperior. Contrary + Leaf Storm is amazing. Has great status moves like Glare too.
Gen 6: Greninja. Protean... need I say more?
Gen 7: Easily Incineroar. It's the most used non-legendary in Doubles, period.
Gen 8: Cinderace in Singles, and Rillaboom in Doubles.

Looking at that list, I would say it's pretty balanced--3 for Grass, 3 for Fire (4 including Mega Charizard Y), and 3 for Water.

Although I'm assuming you're talking about in game, not competitive--so no Hidden Abilities.

Yeah I mean the main game
So I think what they mean is for the gyms and the story which starter is "easy mode". Yes the grass starter hasn't been easy mode for a while. However why would you want your starter to make the game easy. The game is easy enough as is. I always go fire on principal but water/rock/ground gyms don't give me trouble because I've played a pokemon game before and I know what I'm doing when it comes to team building.

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I get the feeling that Sprigatito's evolutions will be in the same vein as Primarina, Delphox, and Meganium where it's the Feminine looking starter of the Gen

I know a lot of people are wondering about Sprigatito's evolutions becoming more humanoid but honestly I think more people should be keeping a closer eye on Quaxly instead

I mean it's already wearing a hat (or is that hair?)
And the fact that we already have so many Duck/Bird Pokemon, gives me the feeling that they'll make Quaxly's evos stand out more by going the humanoid route

Last edited:

MrJechgo

I get the feeling that Sprigatito's evolutions will be in the same vein as Primarina, Delphox, and Meganium where it's the Feminine looking starter of the Gen
From what I've heard the reason why all starters have a higher male gender ratio is because of breeding. Remember, the resulting baby has the male's form and the female's moveset. Players might want a better starter with egg moves, but giving them a female one would be more difficult...

Ultra Beast Lover

From what I've heard the reason why all starters have a higher male gender ratio is because of breeding. Remember, the resulting baby has the male's form and the female's moveset. Players might want a better starter with egg moves, but giving them a female one would be more difficult...
No they become the same species as the mother

Mythical-Moonlight

When I look at the Starters I think there might be a certain theme going on with the Starters here to fit with the Spanish themed region just like how last Gen had a British themes for the Galar Starters

Especially when I look at Quaxly, I can already tell just by looking at it's Hat and it's Wings somewhat that it's likely going to become a Bullfighter in it's Final Stage (or a Matador as they call it)

I have no idea about the other two but I've seen some people suggest at least one of them having a Flamenco Dancer theme
(Sprigatito seems like an easier choice since it's seems more likely to go down the path of Primarina, Meganium and Delphox as the "Feminine" starter of the Trio but perhaps Fuecoco may surprise us like Popplio did)

Volcarona1994

When I look at the Starters I think there might be a certain theme going on with the Starters here to fit with the Spanish themed region just like how last Gen had a British themes for the Galar Starters

Especially when I look at Quaxly, I can already tell just by looking at it's Hat and it's Wings somewhat that it's likely going to become a Bullfighter in it's Final Stage (or a Matador as they call it)

I have no idea about the other two but I've seen some people suggest at least one of them having a Flamenco Dancer theme
(Sprigatito seems like an easier choice since it's seems more likely to go down the path of Primarina, Meganium and Delphox as the "Feminine" starter of the Trio but perhaps Fuecoco may surprise us like Popplio did)
I am sure Sprigatito will become a templar knight, whilst Fuecoco will become a cuélebre/culebre, which it's said to be a dragon with a snake body.

Dragon Pulse

I really like the idea of them becoming Grass/Fairy, Fire/Poison and Water/Steel. I'm especially surprised I haven't seen many people suggest Poison for Fuecoco. It makes sense when you think about it and would suit it quite well.

Mythical-Moonlight

I like the idea of another Water/Steel type pokemon but idk if it should be Quaxly

Considering we already have another Water Bird Starter with that Typing it may come off as a little repetitive

And yeah I know we had 3 Fire/Fighting Starters and I hated that too

Nave

I really like the idea of them becoming Grass/Fairy, Fire/Poison and Water/Steel. I'm especially surprised I haven't seen many people suggest Poison for Fuecoco. It makes sense when you think about it and would suit it quite well.
That actually seems like a really cool type triangle.
Makes sense if Fuecoco turns into a snake, fulfilling the Chinese Zodiac archetype for Fire starters. Quaxly gaining armour and turning into a conquistador fulfills the warrior archetype for Water starters, so that works as well.
It's not quite "perfect," because Steel is super-effective against Fairy, and immune to Poison, plus removes the Grass weakness. But there was the same kind of issue with the Gen 4 starters.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
This may sound weird but I hope that any alpha sized Pokémon that can be transferred in from Legends: Arceus to SV keep their alpha sizes. Would love to see a 10+ foot tall Typhlosion going against the trainers of the region. I could imagine them all freaking out at its size.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I have a question to ask: For those suggesting Fuecoco become a snake, are you suggesting it generally because of the Chinese Zodiac theory or do you have other reasons?

I ask because while there are some serpentine options that have been suggested that would be cool to see, I don't think the design lends to becoming snake-like anymore then someone like Charmander or Treecko did. So I'm kind of curious what's driving the popularity of that option over something more crocodile-like such as Drac de na Coca, playing into the pepper idea with something like a Ghost Pepper, or even making it dinosaur-like such as what happened with Treecko.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I have a question to ask: For those suggesting Fuecoco become a snake, are you suggesting it generally because of the Chinese Zodiac theory or do you have other reasons?

I ask because while there are some serpentine options that have been suggested that would be cool to see, I don't think the design lends to becoming snake-like anymore then someone like Charmander or Treecko did. So I'm kind of curious what's driving the popularity of that option over something more crocodile-like such as Drac de na Coca, playing into the pepper idea with something like a Ghost Pepper, or even making it dinosaur-like such as what happened with Treecko.
While I still hang on to the zodiac theory, I really don't think that they will strictly follow it. Rat being rodent-like. Dog being anything canine. So for snake, I believe it can be anything serpentine. Heck, I think it can be any reptile since there are no other reptilian animals in the zodiac besides the dragon and the snake.

If one day they do ox, I expect anything bovine. Or if they do horse, well, another Rapidash I guess. :p

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
While I still hang on to the zodiac theory, I really don't think that they will strictly follow it. Rat being rodent-like. Dog being anything canine. So for snake, I believe it can be anything serpentine. Heck, I think it can be any reptile since there are no other reptilian animals in the zodiac besides the dragon and the snake.

If one day they do ox, I expect anything bovine. Or if they do horse, well, another Rapidash I guess. :p
Eh, I have to honest and say I'd put my foot down on the theory if we're counting every reptile. Reptiles are far more broader than a rodent or a canine (though I think counting a fox is also stretching it) and having a crocodile count just because it's in the same class as a snake makes it a lot more flimsy as snakes are very different from a crocodile.

If it's more serpentine then that's one thing, but if it becomes a crocodile or something different then I don't think it should be considered as a guideline.