• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gen 9 Starters - Discussion/Speculation Thread

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Nah 1 leg, let it balance on it's tail as a mummified cat with 4 psychic limbs, with the bandages as vines, make it Grass/ psychic or ghost.

Noy

Wait, what if Quaxly turns out to be a painter/artist? It seem like the type to be into that (aside from getting messy from paints and such.) That said, it seems like the type of Pokémon, to hound it's trainer to be productive each day; like a secretary.

Fuecoco makes me think, Fire type slowpoke; so I have no idea what direction it might take from there, beside something derpy. I would not be surprised if one of it's evo's has googly eyes.

Sprigatito is a cat... beside the grass typing, it is so generic I am not sure where they are going with this.

Orphalesion

what if it ends up with 5 or 6 legs?
I won't accept any less than twelve pairs of legs. And they shouldn't all be in the conventional place either. One pair can replace the ears...another the tail...and five legs can be in its maw with four replacing fangs/tusks and one taking the place of its tongue.
Or how about even more legs? just let it evolve into something like a ball made out of dozens and dozens of tiny, squirmy legs, that should please everybody.

But in all seriousness, I don't care on how many legs the last evolution stands on, as long as I like the overall design and concept.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Wait, what if Quaxly turns out to be a painter/artist? It seem like the type to be into that (aside from getting messy from paints and such.) That said, it seems like the type of Pokémon, to hound it's trainer to be productive each day; like a secretary.

Fuecoco makes me think, Fire type slowpoke; so I have no idea what direction it might take from there, beside something derpy. I would not be surprised if one of it's evo's has googly eyes.

Sprigatito is a cat... beside the grass typing, it is so generic I am not sure where they are going with this.
With Sprigatito I think they’re gonna theme it on a lynx or sabertooth tiger with a carnation theme, the carnation is the national flower of Spain.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Omg I wonder if the grass cat will have a majestic evolution.
Unpopular opinion but I want it to stand...
The problem is Sprigatito will go from being initial most popular with fans to eventual least popular if the final stage takes the Incineroar route. In fact, Samurott was the last quadrupedal final stage so far, and even then it can also stand on two legs, as the anime has shown. Nothing from Gens 6-8 was quadruped, though Primarina is more of a pinniped design. Sadly staying quadruped would ruin Sprigatito’s chances in the marketing department too…

Fuecoco seems to also be initially popular, but I somehow feel its evolutions will be seen as a letdown. I feel it may incorporate some creature from Spanish mythology, as has commonly been speculated in this thread. I just fear that it will suffer from “poor execution” in the design department.

Quaxly I think has most potential for the best-looking final stage. There’s a lot of possibilities discussed for what themes it could take on. Remember when Froakie was the initial least fave for Gen 6 only for that to completely flip on its head when Greninja was revealed?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The problem is Sprigatito will go from being initial most popular with fans to eventual least popular if the final stage takes the Incineroar route. In fact, Samurott was the last quadrupedal final stage so far, and even then it can also stand on two legs, as the anime has shown. Nothing from Gens 6-8 was quadruped, though Primarina is more of a pinniped design. Sadly staying quadruped would ruin Sprigatito’s chances in the marketing department too…

Fuecoco seems to also be initially popular, but I somehow feel its evolutions will be seen as a letdown. I feel it may incorporate some creature from Spanish mythology, as has commonly been speculated in this thread. I just fear that it will suffer from “poor execution” in the design department.

Quaxly I think has most potential for the best-looking final stage. There’s a lot of possibilities discussed for what themes it could take on. Remember when Froakie was the initial least fave for Gen 6 only for that to completely flip on its head when Greninja was revealed?
Well I dont think being quadruped helped with Samurott popularity.. o.o
So I dont mind if Sprigatito will not be quadruped

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Well I dont think being quadruped helped with Samurott popularity.. o.o
So I dont mind if Sprigatito will not be quadruped

This is a ridiculous comparison. Hear me out. Samurott started off as a derpy bipedal otter.. which evolved into another bipedal, but feisty dual-wielding otter.. and then evolved into a visually slow looking quadruped sealion with a clunky helmet and stats that didn't match the design (SpAtt > Att).

Clearly, there was a lot of potential and then they went for a design-choice that just wasn't what people expected.

That being said, the Gen5 starters are weird with legs. Quadruped Tepig went bipedal, bipedal Oshawott went quadruped and bipedal Snivy went on to become legless..

Maybe that's why none of them are really popular. Sticking with the amount of legs is usually the way to go. I think that Incineroar might be the only exception? Maybe Typhlosion, but that one's debatable as it's actually still quadruped, but usually depicted as bipedal.

PageEmperor

Shockingly, I don’t care if the cat becomes two legged. I mean, I prefer if it ended on four legs as I prefer if not all starters were on two legs, but overall, I’m cool with it.

What I’m not cool with and AM going to care about is if the cat ends up having a bad typing. No Grass/Dark. PLEASE. Nor Grass/Psychic or even Grass/Bug just in case someone thought of that. Grass/Dark is a nothing typing. Sure the other starter types got Dark representatives, but that’s because Dark combined with the other starter types are good. For good Grass starter possiblities, that would be Grass/Fairy and Grass/Steel.

Back on topic, I think the following would happen with the starters:

Grass starter: Grass/Fairy final form, Highest stat special attack and speed, low physical attack. Grass/Steel is my second choice, it’s about time Empoleon wasn’t the only Steel starter.

Fire starter: Fire/Rock final form, is the fastest, hits hard on physical side. I’m sure someone will question why the laid back base form becomes speedy, as long as Incineroar exists it’s safe tosay that unexpected starters run free. And besides, Vigoroth and Feebas exist.

Water starter: I’m actually somewhat unsure but I think Water/Fighting. Slowest starter, but the bulkiest. Water/Flying could be better with the stats I predict but if the base form is not part Flying then the final form probably won’t.

Overall it’ll be neat if we ended having two super fast starters and one super slow starter.

Aquaslash

I hope Sprigatito ends up being Grass/Fairy as well. Whether it ends up on two or four legs, I couldn’t care less. What I do care about is the nickname I’m going to give it. I’m thinking something reminiscent of the Warriors books by Erin Hunter. Something like “Leafstar” since it would be leader of my team or clan.

treatyofversigh

I’m torn- I really want fire/fairy Fuecoco, but I’d also love grass/fairy Sprigatito. Fire/electric Fuecoco could be fun, too, and it’s what I’d wanted Scorbunny to be. I’m not sure where people are getting grass/psychic for Sprigatito but I could get behind that. The x4 ground weakness for fire/electric and x4 bug weakness for grass/psychic wouldn’t be great but if the designs were cool, I’d be okay with it tbh.

Not sure what I want for Quaxly! Water/fighting and water/dark could both be good, especially if they go for a pirate/sailor theme.

Mostly I just hope they aren’t mono typed like the gen 8 starters. I always think that’s a little boring :/

TRNRLogan

I’m torn- I really want fire/fairy Fuecoco, but I’d also love grass/fairy Sprigatito. Fire/electric Fuecoco could be fun, too, and it’s what I’d wanted Scorbunny to be. I’m not sure where people are getting grass/psychic for Sprigatito but I could get behind that. The x4 ground weakness for fire/electric and x4 bug weakness for grass/psychic wouldn’t be great but if the designs were cool, I’d be okay with it tbh.

Not sure what I want for Quaxly! Water/fighting and water/dark could both be good, especially if they go for a pirate/sailor theme.

Mostly I just hope they aren’t mono typed like the gen 8 starters. I always think that’s a little boring :/
It'd be neat if they all had Fairy type to go with final evolutions inspired by myths or fairytales.

Dragon Pulse

I mean Fire/Electric Fuecoco would be as random as you say Grass/Psychic would be for Sprigatito.